As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The brand [GNU/Linux / Alternate OS] thread: Steam finally confirmed

• FremFrem Registered User regular
    One thing I depend from every desktop environment I use now is the ability to hit a keyboard combination, type in letters and open any app on my hard drive. Can you do that now with the minimalistic DEs?

I used such a fuzzy launcher eons ago. I want to say XFCE includes one. At the time I mostly used a terminal that slid up and down from the top of the screen, like quake. Had it bound to F12 or something.

Oh! Ubuntu's Unity desktop has quick launching. But it doesn't just search installed applications. You can also use it to search the menus of open applications. It's the best feature, and I'm really disappointed that other desktop environments and operating systems didn't immediately steal it. I hacked together something similar on my normal OS X desktop, but it's just not the same.

• HounHoun Registered User regular
    Frem wrote: »
    One thing I depend from every desktop environment I use now is the ability to hit a keyboard combination, type in letters and open any app on my hard drive. Can you do that now with the minimalistic DEs?

I used such a fuzzy launcher eons ago. I want to say XFCE includes one. At the time I mostly used a terminal that slid up and down from the top of the screen, like quake. Had it bound to F12 or something.

Oh! Ubuntu's Unity desktop has quick launching. But it doesn't just search installed applications. You can also use it to search the menus of open applications. It's the best feature, and I'm really disappointed that other desktop environments and operating systems didn't immediately steal it. I hacked together something similar on my normal OS X desktop, but it's just not the same.

Whiskermenu.

• UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    Installing a bunch of desktop on environments onto your machine sounds like a good idea, but in practice it's just installs so much junk into your package manager that it's difficult to get a clean break from it when you are done experimenting. I think a Live CD is better for trying out stuff.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
    Installing a bunch of desktop on environments onto your machine sounds like a good idea, but in practice it's just installs so much junk into your package manager that it's difficult to get a clean break from it when you are done experimenting. I think a Live CD is better for trying out stuff.

Or a virtual machine.

Though honestly, the only desktops that have ever given me trouble when attempting to install them at the same time are Gnome and Cinnamon. The two do not play well together.

If you want to play with a large number of lightweight window managers, check out http://www.linuxbbq.org/

• FrazFraz Registered User regular
    Can anyone recommend a cloud storage service/tool that will allow me to sync files between three computers (two Linux and one Windows), an android phone and back everything up to the cloud?
    I'd like it to be Google Drive, but I have no idea if it can do what I'm thinking and can try any other service. I'd like to be able to save files to the directory or directories I am syncing and they be automatically propagated to all the other Linux systems (except maybe the android phone).

I still haven't picked a distro yet. I'm testing Fedora 24 and Ubuntu 16.10 right now

Dropbox does what you're asking, and has official clients for pretty much everything.

Google Drive, as far as I can tell, still doesn't have a proper Linux client. There are some third party offerings, but I've never looked into them.

Houn wrote: »
    Dropbox does what you're asking, and has official clients for pretty much everything.

Google Drive, as far as I can tell, still doesn't have a proper Linux client. There are some third party offerings, but I've never looked into them.

Thanks I just got it all working. It was very easy with Ubuntu and Nautilus.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I wish the linux version of chromium had autoscrolling when you click the middle button and drag like windows chrome does.

You can add it with an extension and all but like it doesn't work perfect and that will install it on windows chrome too which messes up the existing feature in windows.

Uriel wrote: »
    I wish the linux version of chromium had autoscrolling when you click the middle button and drag like windows chrome does.

You can add it with an extension and all but like it doesn't work perfect and that will install it on windows chrome too which messes up the existing feature in windows.

As nice as extension syncing is, I've had to turn it off. I've had operating-system-specific password manager extensions sync and freak out when they can't find their host program.

Should I be concerned that when I run lsblk or df I don't see my home partitions mount point anymore. My system is still working fine, but it would show up when I ran either of those commands and now it doesn't.

Fraz wrote: »
    Should I be concerned that when I run lsblk or df I don't see my home partitions mount point anymore. My system is still working fine, but it would show up when I ran either of those commands and now it doesn't.

Huh. Are all your homes/files still in /home/<user>? If you had your /home mounted to a separate partition, and it unmounted/failed to mount, I'd expect that /home would still exist, you'd just be looking at the data in that directory on the root partition instead.

And if all your files and everything is there, is it possible your /home partitions has never been mounted?

Huh. Are all your homes/files still in /home/<user>? If you had your /home mounted to a separate partition, and it unmounted/failed to mount, I'd expect that /home would still exist, you'd just be looking at the data in that directory on the root partition instead.

And if all your files and everything is there, is it possible your /home partitions has never been mounted?

It seems like the system stopped mounting the home partition to /home/username/ and has been using a home directory on the root partition. In order to fix this I'm assuming the steps I need to take are 1: make sure the data in the new home directory gets moved to the partition 2. somehow tell the system to mount the partition again every time I boot the system.

That sounds about right? Am I missing something?

It seems like the system stopped mounting the home partition to /home/username/ and has been using a home directory on the root partition. In order to fix this I'm assuming the steps I need to take are 1: make sure the data in the new home directory gets moved to the partition 2. somehow tell the system to mount the partition again every time I boot the system.

Mounting to /home/username is a bit unorthodox. Typically you mount to /home and all users' home directories are on the mounted partitions. But, it's your system, so... you tell me?

In any event, take a look at the docs on /etc/fstab for your distribution for info on auto-mounting at boot.

Mounting to /home/username is a bit unorthodox. Typically you mount to /home and all users' home directories are on the mounted partitions. But, it's your system, so... you tell me?

In any event, take a look at the docs on /etc/fstab for your distribution for info on auto-mounting at boot.

Thank you for pointing that out. I meant I will just back up the whole home dir to the partition then mount it to /home.

Thank you for pointing that out. I meant I will just back up the whole home dir to the partition then mount it to /home.

Be careful to check what's on that partition first, in case it already has data. Mount it to /mnt/tmp or something and check it out first.

• CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    Hey, I've got a quick question about YML files.

I'm going through a setup guide to get some software working on a VM using Ubuntu, and at one point it's telling me to follow some instructions on Github to download specific files. However, these 'instructions' are simply a YML file with nothing else. Is this something I need to run through a parser? Do I need to write a script to pull data? I've never used YML before.

工事中
    edited July 2016
    Cokebotle wrote: »
    Hey, I've got a quick question about YML files.

I'm going through a setup guide to get some software working on a VM using Ubuntu, and at one point it's telling me to follow some instructions on Github to download specific files. However, these 'instructions' are simply a YML file with nothing else. Is this something I need to run through a parser? Do I need to write a script to pull data? I've never used YML before.

YML (actually called YAML) is just a way of formatting data. Think XML, JSON, etc. Many, many different pieces of software use it to store extremely different information. You'll need to be a lot more specific.

Frem on
  • CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    Ah, ok. The guide I'm following literally says to "follow the instructions in <YML file on Github>" and I thought there was something I'm missing. If that's all it does, I can probably get it sorted.

Thanks!

工事中
  • Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    @Houn - How difficult would it be for a rank amateur who has only ever tinkered around a teeny little bit in #! to get used to i3? I've got Arch installed and working and I'm looking for a GUI, but don't want to go the Gnome/Cinnamon/XFCE route. I'm on a T520 Thinkpad if that makes any difference at all.

I want to be hardcore.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
    I have actually been enjoying dual booting into linux for a while now.

Been using it more than windows actually.

But now that I resubbed to WoW I have to boot into windows more, but since I had to turn off the hiberfile it takse soooo loooooong to boot. Such a pain.

@Houn - How difficult would it be for a rank amateur who has only ever tinkered around a teeny little bit in #! to get used to i3? I've got Arch installed and working and I'm looking for a GUI, but don't want to go the Gnome/Cinnamon/XFCE route. I'm on a T520 Thinkpad if that makes any difference at all.

I want to be hardcore.

@Descendant X
    Not difficult at all, assuming you're willing to memorize some hotkeys. I'd say just install it and play around. https://fedoramagazine.org/getting-started-i3-window-manager/ is a good start guide, though note the install stuff is for Fedora, so replace those commands with what ever is appropriate for your distro of choice. Feel free to throw questions at me, though I wouldn't claim to be an expert by any means.

• Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited August 2016

I want to be hardcore.

@Descendant X
    Not difficult at all, assuming you're willing to memorize some hotkeys. I'd say just install it and play around. https://fedoramagazine.org/getting-started-i3-window-manager/ is a good start guide, though note the install stuff is for Fedora, so replace those commands with what ever is appropriate for your distro of choice. Feel free to throw questions at me, though I wouldn't claim to be an expert by any means.

It's all installed, and after far too much buggering about I've finally got it working when I startx. (Oh Archlinux, why do you treat me so bad?) The current color scheme is really hard on the old eyeballs, so my first quest is to cobble together something that doesn't burn my retinas. I've found some user-posted schemes online, I'll see what I can get going for myself. I think I'll be able to figure this out, it's somewhat more friendly than awesomewm.

EDIT: Thanks for the link! I think I'll go through that guide to see what I can do for my settings.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
    edited August 2016
    Well, turns out I like awesome better. I'm currently watching a series of videos done by the Linux Distro Community and he's got a pretty thorough guide that's fairly easy to follow.

Is it odd that I prefer to log in to my laptop in tty, start up my wireless connection through netctl, and then start up X?

Descendant X on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Thinking about using my Ubuntu laptop as my media center - does anyone have experience with small remote keyboard/mouse replacements? Maybe something chatpad sized that I can use to browse the web and use vlc.

august wrote: »
    Thinking about using my Ubuntu laptop as my media center - does anyone have experience with small remote keyboard/mouse replacements? Maybe something chatpad sized that I can use to browse the web and use vlc.

Install Kodi and just use your smartphone and Yatse, which works as a remote control for Kodi.

• augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Will yaste let me use my smartphone as a general mkb replacement? There are some things I'll want to do other than just watching downloaded videos such as watchig YouTube or live Giant Bomb videos (which requires Chrome) or maybe run moc or Spotify.

Ah no not really.

There must be an app for that too though, let me dig around.

Uriel wrote: »
    Ah no not really.

There must be an app for that too though, let me dig around.

Unified Remote.

So I've hit a snag. Yesterday I installed awesome and had Chrome working. Then I started following as series of videos and installed gnome-terminal and sublime. All three of these installations are done through the AUR (I'm using Arch), and I used yaourt to install gnome-terminal and sublime.

Now Chrome doesn't work. When I try to open it all that happens is a frame and tab appear and I cannot close the window, I need to kill X completely. This is better than gnome-terminal, which causes awesome to display a spinning wheel for a minute or so before failing to do anything. The only other thing I can think that I've done that may have affected either program is installing some fonts and themes for awesome, but that can't be the cause of these issues. The kicker is that Firefox works just fine. THe next thing I'm going to try is see if Chrome or gnome-terminal open in i3, but I don't have time for that right now. I'll also be posting this question in the Arch forums, but also don't have time right now.

Any ideas?

Why did you grab them from the AUR? Pretty sure all three are in the regular repos.

edited August 2016
    I can double-check at lunch, but I don't think any of them will install through pacman. I know Chrome won't, but Chromium will. I need Chrome for Netflix.

Edit: Ooookay... Chrome is now working. Gnome-terminal is still not working though. I guess a full shutdown and restart was all that was needed.

Descendant X on
    I can double-check at lunch, but I don't think any of them will install through pacman. I know Chrome won't, but Chromium will. I need Chrome for Netflix.

Edit: Ooookay... Chrome is now working. Gnome-terminal is still not working though. I guess a full shutdown and restart was all that was needed.

Gnome-Terminal is in Extra:
    extra/gnome-terminal 3.20.2-1 (gnome)
    The GNOME Terminal Emulator

Repo-Chromium will run Netflix if you just grab the plugin from the AUR:
    aur/chromium-widevine 1:1.4.8.893-1 (153)
    A browser plugin designed for the viewing of premium video content

Supposedly you can also get it working with Firefox + Pipelight:
    aur/pipelight 1:0.2.8.2-2 (187)
    A browser plugin which allows one to use windows only plugins inside Linux browser

I don't recall what I'm doing at the moment (it might not be working at all, I tend to watch Netflix on my PS4.) I have no idea why Gnome-Terminal would be breaking; maybe open a different terminal, run gnome-terminal from there, and see what, if any, errors are thrown?

Gotcha. So I'll add Extra to my repos and install Gnome-terminal from there. I'll uninstall it using yaourt first. Chrome is working now oddly enough, so that's one problem taken care of.

Thanks for the help!

edited August 2016
    Alright, so I reinstalled gnome-terminal with pacman. No joy. I launched it from xterm in awesome and got the following error message:

Error constructing proxy for org.gnome.Terminal:/org/gnome/Terminal/Factory0: Error calling StartServiceByName for org.gnome.Terminal: Timeout was reached.

What in the nine hells does that mean?

EDIT: Fuck it. I'll just use terminator. It looks better than xterm in awesome and has transparent background capability, which is all I really wanted anyway.

Thanks for the help, Houn!

Descendant X on
    Alright, so I reinstalled gnome-terminal with pacman. No joy. I launched it from xterm in awesome and got the following error message:

Error constructing proxy for org.gnome.Terminal:/org/gnome/Terminal/Factory0: Error calling StartServiceByName for org.gnome.Terminal: Timeout was reached.

What in the nine hells does that mean?

EDIT: Fuck it. I'll just use terminator. It looks better than xterm in awesome and has transparent background capability, which is all I really wanted anyway.

Thanks for the help, Houn!

Likely Culprit: you need to fix your locale settings.
    https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=180103

Might want to look into that, if true, locale being messed up can break many things in strange ways.

edited August 2016
    I saw that, but it's not quite the same error. I'll look into it and check my locale settings when I get home from work.

@Houn: It appears that the locale settings were indeed the issue. Thanks again for the help!

Descendant X on
    edited August 2016
    After just running my browser and a terminal for a few minutes, my browser has been crashing and I've been getting an input/output error every time I try to do something. Every thing I've read says this has to do with hard drive hardware failure. So far I've used a SMART tool and everything is OK, I've run fsck and badblocks from a liveUSB with no issues and I wiped the dust off my windows partition and it is working fine.

I may just replace the SSD with a newer/bigger one, but what can I do to find out if it is really screwed/repair it if possible apart from just installing a filesystem and waiting for it to break?

EDIT: I assumed it wasn't Chrome because everything says it's a hardware issue, but could Chrome be the culprit?

Fraz on
    How many of you guys have made a full transition over from Windows, including gaming? Is there a decent way to more over to Linux and still play AAA games that don't get Linux releases? What about VR? I was planning on getting a Vive in the next year or so.

Yo. I have fully transitioned to Linux, but honestly, I also have a PS4, so if I can't get a game on Steam, it's likely there. WINE has historically had a pretty hit or miss success rate, but last I looked, it couldn't do anything DX11+ and had major trouble with 64bit games. For me, that notably meant Overwatch and Dark Souls 3 were both PS4 purchases, even though I'd have preferred KBAM for the former and 60FPS for the latter.

Dunno about VR on Linux. VR doesn't interest me at all.

Yo. I have fully transitioned to Linux, but honestly, I also have a PS4, so if I can't get a game on Steam, it's likely there. WINE has historically had a pretty hit or miss success rate, but last I looked, it couldn't do anything DX11+ and had major trouble with 64bit games. For me, that notably meant Overwatch and Dark Souls 3 were both PS4 purchases, even though I'd have preferred KBAM for the former and 60FPS for the latter.

Dunno about VR on Linux. VR doesn't interest me at all.

Yeah, that's kinda where I'm stuck. Stuff like DS3 I'd really prefer to pick up for PC, but I do have a PS4 now and I suppose I can just buy the AAA games on that. It also means I can play multiplayer with a buddy of mine who lives a fair distance away. There's also PSVR coming, so that's always an option.

Hmm. What a quandary...