As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WARMACHINE & HORDES] 1+1=Cyriss is calculating... calculating... seven! And you're dead.

• LatentsageLatentsage Violet Registered User regular
    So I played a match recently. Cryx vs Cygnar, Gaspy2 vs Stryker2. I'll drop the lists in spoilers.

Cryx
    Gaspy2
    Deathripper
    Nightwretch
    Reaper

Bane Riders
    Bane Warriors
    Carrion Thralls
    Revenant Crew of the Atramentous + 3 rifles
    Captain Rengrave

Cygnar (from memory, maybe inaccurate)
    Stryker2
    Squire
    Ol' Rowdy
    Stormclad
    Lancer

Journeyman Warcaster
    Charger

Lieutenant Allison Jakes
    Minuteman

Tempest Blazers
    Arcane Tempest Rifleman
    Arcane Tempest Rifleman

Map had like a well providing cover in the center. Two houses on one side, forest, hill, and a wall on the other.

My Reaper and Deathripper got scrapped real early by his heavies. Carrion thralls did some work using the houses for cover to get into his backfield. Killed off Jakes. The middle was mostly just my infantry grinding into his robots until everything was dead. Riders took some hits from blazers before killing two of them and then getting finished off. Game ended from a super long Stryker charge after I waffled on whether to use hellbound. Teach me to forget Energize or w/e.

I really have trouble with delivering bane riders, it seems. Does anyone have any tips for getting them into the action? Low speed for horses makes it hard to get the charge off before being shot.

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I feel like cavalry really need a delivery system, like clouds or cover or stealth. And they'll still get shot off the table by Sloan or other gun lines with true sight. With Gaspy 2 unable to make cloud walls anymore I'm not sure what he would do. They'd work with Agathia or the Coven, or Goreshade (though only the Coven would protect them from true sight).

Tonight I finally tried Convergence. They are extremely difficult to play, holy cow. Also they seem very badly suited to small games; you need points for the whole support network of servitors, mechanics, arc node solos, Corollary jack, AND enough hitters to make the support worthwhile. I wouldn't play them less than 50, even. Otherwise Induction seems like a straight up worse mechanic than normal focus with power up.

So I'm probably going to commit to Cryx for my main faction after all.

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Yeah, almost like they didn't get a new battle box for a reason. They're definitely tough.

There's actually a few cases where Induction is pretty sweet, though. You can induct focus onto vectors that aren't in your warcaster's command range, for instance. And if you set the chain up properly, you can have three focus flow all the way through ALL of your vectors. If you've got ways to spend it, you can get some serious value there.

I really do think that it's the best-designed army, in that it basically hits the perfect merging of theme and mechanics. Lots of little cogs grinding away in service of your war machine.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    CoC's overall design was almost entirely the work of DC (David Carl) who was by far their best designer.

• BreakfastPMBreakfastPM Registered User regular
    Can you cast multiple of the same upkeep spell in the same turn with the same caster?

• NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    You can cast it multiple times, but only one instance of it will be in effect.

Say you have a caster with Snipe. She can cast it on herself, shoot her gun, and then cast it onto a unit you want to activate next.

• psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    Basically the most uses you can get out of an upkeep spell is three because your Warnoun casting a second copy of the spell causes the first to expire.

Cast it the turn before and upkeep it and activate the unit it's on first and use them

Then activate your caster and cast it on themselves then after you're done with their activation cast it on the final unit you want to have it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2016
    So I just found out about MKIII a few weeks ago, and I have to say, I think it is drawing me back into the game. They basically made all the stuff I had tried house ruling into the game, and made them official rules. So it actually has me going through and finally painting my guys.

It seems like it may be feasible to run mostly jacks/solos now (especially with nemo 3, where I can give ~6 jacks full focus every turn) Or should I still plan on needing a unit or two of infantry still?

If so, any recommendations? I was thinking either long gunners, or some variant of storm knight.

I currently have 6 stormsmiths, 2 storm towers, a mechaniks squad, strangeways, 2xJourneyman, squire, Nemo2/3, Darius, Siege, one of the strykers, a styker model converted to be a caine, and the new female caster that comes in the new starter.

Then my warjacks (I picked up some starter packs pretty cheap back during mk2, so I have way too many jacks).
    1xHunter, 2xMinutemen, 3xCharger, 3xLancer, 2xSentinel, 3xFirefly, 1xAvenger/2xCenturion, 3xCyclone/3xDefender, 3?xHammersmith, 4?5?xIronclads, 1xThunderhead.

e:
    I also have a Gorman Di Wulfe who apparently no longer works with Cygnar. -_-

Guess I can proxy him for Harlan, they both have floppy hats.

Morkath on
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Some casters can get away with just jacks and solos (Darius, Kraye, Nemo1 I know can), I haven't taken too close of a look at Nemo2 or Nemo3 though.

Long Gunners are still very meh. ATGM are also "okay" now depending on the caster (I like them with Haley1). Storm Lances are the new hotness, most tournament lists I see run at least one unit, but 2x3 Storm Lances are also common. I see people talk about taking Stormblades. Stormguard are still shelfwarmers though.

Trenchers are good now too, since they got an effective price decrease and tough.

Nobody on
    edited September 2016
    Nemo3 seems pretty good for a jack list, as long as Finch is alive, when he allocates focus they get an extra one, and she lets him keep a spell on upkeep for free. So I can keep magnetic field up on all my jacks to keep them from getting knocked around, and still have 7 focus to allocate out, with which power up lets me get them all to 3 focus every turn.

His feat seems, eh? Adds a die to each electrical attack that turn, if I go all out with 6 stormcallers, 2 towers, and my 3 firefly's it is probably decent. Nemo himself has a range 14 pow12 electrical attack. Not familiar enough with mk3 to know if his spells are good or not (c.lit, electrify, force hammer, lit shroud, magnetic field).

Maybe I will pick up some stormblades, I like the idea behind trenchers, but don't really like how they look. Pity long gunners are still bad. :(

Morkath on
  • MagoMago SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Morkath wrote: »
    I also have a Gorman Di Wulfe who apparently no longer works with Cygnar. -_-

How do you reckon that? His card in War Room 2 says he will work for Cryx, Cygnar, Khador and the Protectorate.

Mago on
    Trying to paint stuff since 1995.
    His card didn't come in the Cygnar pack, and the battle college page lists him as pure mercenary / cryx only. I don't have his actual new card to check personally.

http://battlecollege.org/index.php/Gorman_Di_Wulfe,_Rogue_Alchemist

The list you have, looks like the MK2 list?

edited September 2016
    None of the mercenary cards come in the Mk3 card sets, do they?

Regardless, my Mk3 War Room confirms what Mago said. Battle College is absolutely not a definitive source.

admanb on
    edited September 2016
    The Cygnar pack came with a handful, (A jack, a warcaster, some knights, some solo's including Harlan).

Is there a way to order specific MK3 cards? I still need a few more cygnar ones, and don't really want to buy the whole merc pack for one guy.

Good to know I can still use him though, thanks!

Morkath on
    Ahh. So, the reason is comes with those is because they're technically Cygnar models as well. The cards will either be in Cygnar colors or they'll have Partisan (Cygnar) on the back.

• MagoMago SwedenRegistered User regular
    You used to be able to order individual cards from their website. I'm not sure they have that up and running for Mk3 yet though?

Trying to paint stuff since 1995.
    Ah, that makes sense. Most of them have partisan, yeah (all are in the green merc color).

Except for Savio Montero Acosta, who just has merc - will work with Cygnar. I wonder if he is missing the partisan ability, since he is wearing cygnar armor in his picture.

Also I found the store page that sells cards, so I will figure out what I need a few more of and grab them later.

edited September 2016
    So once I get my current Cygnar stuff painted, I have been kind of eyeballing some Orboros stuff as a possible small secondary force. I kind of like the look of the construct models they get. I have played against horde, but have never actually played as them.

My initial thoughts are like a small 30 point force of;

Bradigus1
    -Megalith
    -Woldwatcher
    -Woldwatcher
    Sentry Stone & Mannikins
    Sentry Stone & Mannikins
    Shifting Stones
    - Stone Keeper
    Shifting Stones

Then scaling up with a few woldwardens, maybe a wold guardian, and some more woldwatchers, depending on if I like them or not.

Morkath on
  • TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    The WTC happens this weekend. You can follow live streaking of the event on our Twitch channel.

www.twitch.tv/Page5de

There is also the crew from Enter the Crucible / MuseOnMinis streaming at: www.twitch.tv/MuseonTV

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    TheBigEasy wrote: »
    You can follow live streaking

:winky:

• NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Any recent news about the new Hordes faction? The fae/Halloween Town things?

ForceVoid wrote: »

No, but we're going to be seeing the rules for them in March when they get basically Field Tested.

Figured it was time to drag this back up from the deeps in light of the news that came with the new errata document. There's a lot there, so if you havn't read the insider yet, just go do that.

persona4celestia.jpg
    PMAvers wrote: »
    ForceVoid wrote: »

No, but we're going to be seeing the rules for them in March when they get basically Field Tested.

Figured it was time to drag this back up from the deeps in light of the news that came with the new errata document. There's a lot there, so if you havn't read the insider yet, just go do that.

Cygnar's really unhappy with that Haley1 nerf. It came out of nowhere and the -2 movement being command only makes it pretty pointless (I get the general impression that most would have rather had the spd reduction removed entirely and brought down to a 3 cost spell).

edited December 2016
    The main reason being that they felt the need to nerf a caster that no one plays and no one had talked about in ages. Like, if they wanted to change Haley1's identity away from the frustration of Temporal Barrier, sure, but instead they just said "how bout no one ever plays her again."

The other Cygnar changes make sense. I could not believe that Caine2 came into Mk3 the way he was.

admanb on
    I think everybody was expecting Haley2 to be hit harder, Haley3 to get hit somewhere, Caine2 to get hit, Thorn to lose something, and Storm Lances to lose DEF.

With corresponding buffs to Blaize, Stormguard, and Precusors

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Storm Raptor looks so coool... been waiting for that thing since it was concept art.

H9f4bVe.png
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Whoa shit, they're releasing all the stat cards for free online? I already wanted to get back into this game and that's mighty tempting....

I think the errata is tentative. I play Cryx and they definitely haven't solved the faction's problems, but the changes they've made show they're willing to reinterpret how models are used.

They're going to see how these changes affect interactions and matchups for the next six months and then maybe look at some of the models we all know are problems (storm lances, etc) or do further tweaks on e.g. hellmouths and sentry stones

• DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
    Feora3
    Spd8
    MAT7
    RAT5
    Def14
    Arm18
    CMD9
    FOCUS6

Heavy Flame Thrower SP10 ROF1 POW12 Continuous Fire
    Apocalypse RNG2 P+S14 Continuous Fire
    Mount POW12

27 WJ points
    Assault
    Cavalry
    Reposition 3
    Immunity Fire

Flame Trail - When this model advances into base to base contact with an enemy model during its activation that model suffers the continuous fire effect

Feat - Clash of Flames - Feora casts incite without spending focus, additionally while in Feora's Control Area friendly models gain Flame Trail. Lasts 1 round

Spells
    Banishing Ward
    Fire Step
    Incite
    Molten Metal
    Redline

Eye of Truth
    Eye of Truth
    Spd5
    Str11
    MAT7
    RAT6
    Def10
    Arm19

Gaze of Justice RNG8 ROF1 POW14 Continuous Fire, Magical
    Shield RNG1 P+S13 +2 ARM
    Holy Wrath RNG2 P+S18 Continuous Fire, Magical, Flame Burst

Immunity Fire
    Ashen Veil
    Bond [Malekus] - While this model is bonded and in control, Malekus can channel spells through Eye of Truth
    Holy Light - While within 5" of this model friendly models ignore spells that add to an enemies armor or defense
    Oracular Vision - Spend a focus to prevent damage from an attack

20pts
    32 Damage Boxes

Menoth Flameguard Theme Force
    Menoth Theme 1
    Protectorate Casters
    Non-Character Warjacks
    Flameguard Models/Units
    Choir
    Reclaimer Solos
    Vassal Solos
    Wrack Solos

For every 20 points of Flameguard Models/Units gain a Flameguard Command Attachment or 1 small based solo.

Warjacks gain Girded

Up to 1 Daughters of the Flame unit gains Ambush

Menoth Jack Theme Force
    Menoth Theme 2
    Protectorate Casters
    Non-Character Warjacks
    Vassal Models/Units
    Choir
    Visigoth Rhoven
    Covenant of Menoth
    Hierophant Solos
    Initiate Durant
    Wrack Solos
    Protectorate Battle Engines

For every 25 points of Battle Engines and Warjacks add 3 wracks or 1 other solo to the army free of cost

Solos and Choir gain Reposition 3

Friendly Models can begin game with upkeep spells in play.

"I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    How are Cephalyx doing these days? When I got into Warmachine, it was with Exulon, some monstrosity, thralls, and Nyss hunters. I'm not playing anymore, so if I try and sell them, will there be any desire for them, or are they not well loved at the moment.

edited January 2017
    Skorne errata's out.

And they're actually looking... pretty good?

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    persona4celestia.jpg
    edited February 2017
    PMAvers wrote: »

Why do I get the feeling that it's going to turn out that Zevanna
    Is an avatar of, or is actually, Thamar?

EDIT: realized I had put in the wrong Khador warcaster

Nobody on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    I'm suuuuuuper "meh" on this faction, but I'm kind of in love with Old Witch becoming Baba Yaga for Khador

I dunno, the idea of having a warlock that is basically a little girl reality bender going through the ultimate temper tantrum is somewhat tempting.

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2017
    I've been futzing around with Circle half of the old 2 Player Battlebox, but I'm tempted to pick up the new one (or a different faction) to take the plunge into MK3.

Edit: I did it.

Vanguard on
    Vanguard wrote: »
    I've been futzing around with Circle half of the old 2 Player Battlebox, but I'm tempted to pick up the new one (or a different faction) to take the plunge into MK3.

Edit: I did it.

VANGUARD NOW WE HAVE EVEN MORE THINGS TO FIGHT EACH OTHER WITH

As a heads-up, CID's started with the Grymkin playtest files up on the forums. (You'll need to register and apply if you havn't already to get in, they're manually adding people into it.)

They seem interesting? Plus there was a *lot* more stuff in there than I was expecting.

persona4celestia.jpg
    The Old Witch casters for both Khador and Grymkin seem almost deliberately broken.

I assume the effect that brings back d3 models to units in her command means d3 total, not d3 each, because that would just be stupid. Regardless, her feat lets her drop two boosted Scourges at range 13 or through the arc node beast, or cast Boundless Charge on a bunch of beasts for 1 Fury, each beast now having future sight. And on top of that she has an AOE 4 blind gun, 20 health, and for some reason 29 warjack points.

Aside from that it seems the battle engine is 100% mandatory so you can get friendly corpse tokens and pass them to the beasts that need them, especially in a meta where most people have only one unit of warriors.