As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pax XP: new scanners?

Mr Je11ymanMr Je11yman Registered User regular
So, I am unfamiliar with this new Pax XP scanner version of the game. Previously it was qr codes that you scanned and collected, eventually turning in for a special swag item. This year I cannot seem to get a good answer about how it works. Anyone have answers?

• InitialdorInitialdor Seattle's Carl Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    The Pax XP part of the Pax West mobile app makes you register with an email and then assigns a QR code to you. (It says registration is optional, but I couldn't get it working without feeding it an email address.) The XP locations are the blue scanner kiosks, and you scan your QR code into them; reverse process of previous years. (When you register for your QR code, the app also gives you an alternate ID in the form of a 7-digit number; this number can be entered manually at the kiosks in case you can't get your QR code to load on your device in a particular location.) Progress is stored server-side.

Don't know if starting a location database is in poor form, but these threads were such a great help in the past... To meet this halfway, I've added what I've heard of and seen in the spoiler.
    -Bottom of the Annex escalator; first floor.
    -Juicy Cafe (WSCC level 2)
    -In front of the Merch room at the Sheraton (lobby level)
    -Benaroya hall - by the south-end exits.
    -3rd floor of Olive 8 (near TT Tourney entrance)
    -Google Play expo booth (Level 6)
    -Hyatt - just past the Classic Arcades
    -(It's a good bet there's at least one somewhere in the Westin, too.)

Initialdor on
    2018 West: Badges [x] TWDT [Rclaw TT] Cosplay: Still bald. Still single. Still lovin' it!
    "Fantasy football still counts as fantasy." -DnD Greg
  • Mr Je11ymanMr Je11yman Registered User regular
    Yup, and here is an updated list:
    -Bottom of the Annex escalator; first floor.
    -Annex, PC free play area, to the right of escalators up to Expo
    -Juicy Cafe (WSCC level 2)
    -In front of the Merch room at the Sheraton (lobby level)
    -Benaroya hall - by the south-end exits.
    -3rd floor of Olive 8 (near TT Tourney entrance)
    -Google Play expo booth (Level 6)
    -Hyatt - just past the Classic Arcades
    -Westin, 4th floor, right of escalators

• OccamOccam Registered User regular
    Have you actually gotten all of these?

My wife and I are stuck at 5, and can't do any of the farther venues.

• alegriaalegria Registered User regular
    Is anyone else having trouble with the scanners? My app alternates between saying it needs an update and producing my QR code for scanning.

I ran into someone today who said you have to scan them in order. Is this true?

They also said you have to turn it in with a partner.

Neither of these conditions were in the guidebook or app. I talked to an E at info desk when I was having trouble today and he suggested taking photos of each of the kiosks as proof. I've been doing that...but this info about possibly having to do them in some sort of order is worrying.

Rw4xnu6.png
    PAX Prime Attendee since 2006, BYOC Attendee 2008-2012, Buttoneer 2010-2014
    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/alegria
  • placatedmayhemplacatedmayhem Registered User new member
    There seems to be "levels". In "My Badges", first row is fillable when you start, then second after filling the first, then third after second, then the last badge. We tried to scan a second row before completing the first and it didn't register until we came back after completing the first row.

Yes I can confirm the levels. You have to get 1-3 before 4-6 before 7-9 before 10. You can get the levels in any order, eg 2-1-3 but must complete before you try the next level.

Level 1 is
    Juicy Cafe
    Merch Lite at Sheraton
    Annex entrance

Level 2
    PC Freeplay in Annex
    Should be Hyatt but it wasn't working for me last night
    I am guessing the Google Play booth one goes here too, will confirm this morning.

Level 3
    As per E info, the Olive 8 and Westin and Benaroya go here, will confirm when I can

I've only found 9 so far.

Rw4xnu6.png
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    A little birdie told me that the location to #10 is in your last spoiler.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
    Hm, then I'm missing another one. I've only heard of or found nine in total. Drat.

Rw4xnu6.png
  • MetricalSkyMetricalSky Vancouver, BCRegistered User regular
    The 10th scanner is located here:
    the Info Desk.

ItrVoTt.png
  • InitialdorInitialdor Seattle's Carl Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    I tried to help early in this thread, but on reflection, this years implementation of XP was shit. The unexplained linear ordering was the biggest problem. Forcing us to register is fair enough; it didn't need a verifiable email address, as well it ought not to. And I actually like the server-side storage idea for progress, but only having the system ready 5 hours after the show started was the first sign that whoever they contracted this years XP game out to was not up to the task. I also liked the manual entry ability; absolutely necessary in most locations. On the whole, though, it was just a bit of a pisser. I've never given up on XP before, but when the Westin told me to come back later, I told the manual entry box where it could stick it.

Initialdor on
    2018 West: Badges [x] TWDT [Rclaw TT] Cosplay: Still bald. Still single. Still lovin' it!
    "Fantasy football still counts as fantasy." -DnD Greg
    Absolutely agree with you, Initialdor.

The idea of a progressive level sort of PAX XP is a neat one, however the implementation was absolutely poor. Given that the past five (?) years of PAX XP have had scans taken randomly and in any order, there needed to be clear instructions for the change in the game this year. The kiosk message along the lines of "you need more xp" was too subtle, especially when half the time I just got errors for the scans and not even the "low xp" message. With clear instructions and guidelines, I think it could've been just fine. Add in the fact that the app needed an update partway through the day Friday to even begin, when we're all at PAX with shitty data connections, and yeah this was a mess.

For those curious, here's how it broke down:

Level 1
    Merch Lite at the Sheraton
    Annex level 1
    Juicy Cafe, WSCC level 2

Level 2
    PC Freeplay, Annex level 3
    Classic Arcade, Hyatt
    Google Play booth on WSCC level 6 Expo

Level 3
    Tabletop Freeplay, Olive 8 Level 3
    VR Freeplay / Wyvern Theater, Westin Level 4
    Main Theater, Benaroya Hall south entrance

Level 4
    Info booth, WSCC Level 4

I'll be writing up some detailed feedback and suggestions to provide both in the feedback thread here as well as in the survey that gets sent out (presumably) shortly.

I am thrilled that it's back to keychains again, though, I hated the little puzzle cubes. The keychains go on my PAX backpack. :)

Rw4xnu6.png
  • Rhea_starstormRhea_starstorm Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    I'd love the see a pax xp pin next year. I'd be more.motivated to do it. I only found out 2 and gave up bc of wierd order thing this year.

• MetricalSkyMetricalSky Vancouver, BCRegistered User regular
    alegria wrote: »
    The kiosk message along the lines of "you need more xp" was too subtle, especially when half the time I just got errors for the scans and not even the "low xp" message.

I didn't even get that. Whe I tried to scan at Olive 8 out of order, the kiosk showed the story fragment as if it was successful - which of course it wasn't, so I thought it was busted. It was only because of this thread and a post on reddit that I was able to get them all just in time.

I also don't know why you needed to have a data connection just to get your QR code. Thankfully, I found out about the manual entry option halfway through, so I was able to finish just before PAX closed.

ItrVoTt.png