As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW Theorycraft] Theorycrafting, Simming, and dummy testing, oh my!

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I've been looking, but does anyone have any Vengeance DH addons or weakauras that puts the number of Soul Fragments you have and other useful information front and center?

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I'm also looking for something like that for souls.

Something that would immediately increment the counter of souls without having to wait for them to fly all over the fucking place and land on the ground would be nice.

• LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    MMO-Champ has a big list of DH specific WAs, with both full sets and a couple specific auras. Take a look through all of them? Most of them seem to have a soul tracker.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I'll give that a look tonight, thanks.

I've gotten supremely unlucky with my gear drops so far. Item level is okay, but my haste is totally in the tank. Considering getting out of fracture and speccing into FtB until I can gear demon spikes into a lower cooldown.

edited September 2016
    Javen wrote: »
    I'll give that a look tonight, thanks.

I've gotten supremely unlucky with my gear drops so far. Item level is okay, but my haste is totally in the tank. Considering getting out of fracture and speccing into FtB until I can gear demon spikes into a lower cooldown.

I'm not worrying too much about secondaries at the moment. Crit and mastery are better for 5mans anyway, and most of my gear will be replaced early on.

Dhalphir on
  • DrHookensteinDrHookenstein Registered User regular
    So do Haste breakpoints still exist for HoTs and DoTs? I thought I remember reading something at some point suggesting those went away?

"He piled upon the whale's white hump the sum of all the general rage and hate felt by his whole race from Adam down; and then, as if his chest had been a mortar, he burst his hot heart's shell upon it." -Moby Dick
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    there are no breakpoints anymore as such; what happens now is you get a fractional tick when the effect expires that accounts for any fractional ticks.

and in practice, most meaningful damage over time effects are getting refreshed within their pandemic window anyway

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    Right on--so, that means that Haste, for hots, is both a Throughput and an Efficiency stat, now, right? (It used to be that it was only Efficiency at the breakpoints, but not in between)

"He piled upon the whale's white hump the sum of all the general rage and hate felt by his whole race from Adam down; and then, as if his chest had been a mortar, he burst his hot heart's shell upon it." -Moby Dick
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    right; it'll increase heal per mana on something like rejuv by adding ticks at the end. There are a few exceptions but mostly they're big cooldowns (like tranquility, which just gets a shorter overall duration as you add haste.)

NREqxl5.jpg
    Cool. Thanks--I really appreciate the help!

So as much as I liked the Fracture and Soul Barrier playstyle, I switched to Soul Rending, and an indirect result also to Last Resort. Soul Rending is just too good.

• EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    WHY THE FUCK is demonic skin and sacrificial pact on the same tier now? Did you feel the need to nerf warlocks even more? Lets "double down on strengths " by making them choose between their only good defense options. I wish I could get paid to be a fucking idiot.

Edit- I realize im raging at things that might not go live , but how the fuck does that make sense at all? We lost damage and mobility because we are supposed to be tanky but now they nerf that and we are left with nothing.

edit 2- Afflictions dmg is getting nerfed with agony and demonic empowerment as well. So all three specs get weaker if this goes through.

EspantaPajaro on
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
  • mattclemmattclem Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    I'm not sure how some of the Prot Paladin datamining is simply a 'correction', it's quite a significant difference from how things behave on Live (Crusader's Judgement is practically inverted from the old behaviour!). Unless they mean that the tooltip is in but the implementation is not, yet?

Edit: Oh, there's a second tweet:

That clarifies it.

mattclem on
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    mattclem wrote: »
    I'm not sure how some of the Prot Paladin datamining is simply a 'correction', it's quite a significant difference from how things behave on Live (Crusader's Judgement is practically inverted from the old behaviour!). Unless they mean that the tooltip is in but the implementation is not, yet?

Usually that means the spell is currently working that way on live (in this case 7.0.3 release client), and the tooltip is inaccurate and 7.1 will fix it.

edited September 2016
    3clipse wrote: »

Usually that means the spell is currently working that way on live (in this case 7.0.3 release client), and the tooltip is inaccurate and 7.1 will fix it.

That's how I interpreted it, but that's really not what was happening with the pally talent changes - CJ went from "gives a chance to proc Grand Crusader" to "Benefits when Grand Crusader procs", which is a fundamental change and not true on Live. The second tweet cleared up the confusion, though! Don't read too much into numbers 'changes', but mechanics changes are actual changes they're experimenting with.

mattclem on
    it's important not to put too much stock in datamined tooltips like this

the prot paladin one for example is nonsensical as datamined; crusader's judgment is a passive talent, how can it have charges? Wait to see the actual PTR notes before giving it too much thought

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Erm, the new wording is pretty clear. It gives Judgement charges and when you get a free shield throw you also get a free judgement charge.

It also makes it sound like it might be the best on that tier now. Though the change to the shield toss one (I suck at the names sorry) being 50% to the first hit and still doing the others is a direct nerf to the legendary. But a small buff overall. It might also take over. I think the CD for sotr charges is going to fall to the wayside, but it has a unique use in that tier that it gives some more on demand survivability so it could be good. But that crusaders judgement change is a more consistent buff to getting more sotr so. It helps a bad tier that is for sure. Also ret aura actually working on you now is huge because now that isn't a horrible tier either.

Ret Aura as designed boggles my mind that they actually thought anyone would take it.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I took the charger talent, the one that replaces my second fall bubble is less useful.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    bowen wrote: »
    I took the charger talent, the one that replaces my second fall bubble is less useful.

maybe out in the world, but spellwarding is ludicrously powerful. There are far more dangerous magical effects than dangerous physical effects in dungeon and raid encounters.

• Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    I'm trying to like arms because it's so much better than fury, but it's just not as fun. I also can't seem to get above like 180k at 840 or so, which seems low.

Dhalphir wrote: »

maybe out in the world, but spellwarding is ludicrously powerful. There are far more dangerous magical effects than dangerous physical effects in dungeon and raid encounters.

When experimenting with it, I noticed something that requires a little extra exploration, I think: I've managed to lose aggro while using it.

I think it *might* be that, like how standard melee enemies lose interest in you if you're immune to physical attacks, pure caster enemies will still lose interest in you if you're immune to spell attacks. It may mean that you can't use it *before* you're selected as a target, if so, which may require a little bit of extra care when using. Or it may have been something else that I missed!

When experimenting with it, I noticed something that requires a little extra exploration, I think: I've managed to lose aggro while using it.

I think it *might* be that, like how standard melee enemies lose interest in you if you're immune to physical attacks, pure caster enemies will still lose interest in you if you're immune to spell attacks. It may mean that you can't use it *before* you're selected as a target, if so, which may require a little bit of extra care when using. Or it may have been something else that I missed!

The below does not happen with blessing of protection anymore, but it's possible they overlooked it with spellwarding.

Depends on the enemy though. If you mean in this expansion, there are LOTS of casters in trash packs which randomly choose a target for their spells.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

100% true, but it doesn't match with my playstyle and I'll probably pick it up once the guild catches up to me for mythics.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • OddfishOddfish On opposite weeks In odd numbered monthsRegistered User regular
    That rotten bastard bear hasn't made me a damn thing since xpack dropped.

I checked this morning and he had Hearty Feast waiting for me.

We shared a moment.

"Nomi, I pure straight hate you. But god damn it I respect you." *forehead kiss*

edited September 2016
    Oddfish wrote: »
    That rotten bastard bear hasn't made me a damn thing since xpack dropped.

I checked this morning and he had Hearty Feast waiting for me.

We shared a moment.

"Nomi, I pure straight hate you. But god damn it I respect you." *forehead kiss*

Speaking of feasts, I'm trying to weigh up +150 primary stat against +225 secondary stat (and, in turn, +225 versatility from Reaves). I'm *assuming* the primary stats have the edge on that front, but does anyone know of any class who would particularly prefer the secondary instead, so I can prep some food for them?

mattclem on
    The 150 primary stat isn't competing with the 225, it's competing with the 300/375

edited September 2016
    The 150 primary stat isn't competing with the 225, it's competing with the 300/375

I'd have pitched the 200 primary stat feast as competing with the 300 secondaries food, since the barrier for entry in terms of mats is proportionally similar.

(The 375 is kind of its own thing right now, since I suspect the mat costs are prohibitive for it to be a realistic choice for the current game situation. I'm somewhat surprised there's no primary-attribute option in that ballpark, though)

mattclem on
    Hmm, I hadn't seen the 200 primary stat ones. I would expect most classes would prefer the primary stat ones, but some classes like fire mages actually get more out of critical strike than intellect, per point.

• AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    200 primary stat still doesn't beat Boomkin preference for Haste. It would need to be 400-425 or more Intellect.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    Aegis wrote: »
    200 primary stat still doesn't beat Boomkin preference for Haste. It would need to be 400-425 or more Intellect.

Seems almost every class stacks haste now . Get the suspicion that blizzard will nerf haste as opposed to making others more worthwhile .

• AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular

Seems almost every class stacks haste now . Get the suspicion that blizzard will nerf haste as opposed to making others more worthwhile .

I mean, a builder-spender class design is just always going to want to cast more spells that generate their resource. And they made more of these (Shadow Priests, Balance Druids, I don't know what Warlocks do but they seem to want haste).

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12

I mean, a builder-spender class design is just always going to want to cast more spells that generate their resource. And they made more of these (Shadow Priests, Balance Druids, I don't know what Warlocks do but they seem to want haste).

Haste to 30% then crit . Hate this rng for soul shards I miss burning embers so much.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    every warlock spec is a builder-spender except they have less control over their building

liEt3nH.png
    Another weird fact is that versatility became the number one stat for survivability for all tanks overnight

Which is a shame, considering both tank trinkets I got today have tons of crit on them

• SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Another weird fact is that versatility became the number one stat for survivability for all tanks overnight
    All 3 flavors of rogues too.

steam_sig.png
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I feel like dps classes preferring verse is an indicator that they won't scale well with gear. I could be wrong though.

This discussion has been closed.