As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bad Food "Thread": Things Man Was Not Meant To Digest

• TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    So do we need to make a seperate thread for unhealthy but delicious eats?

Cause this thread is just shock images of gross stuff

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    I'll have you all know that vodka is the "original pure potato condiment".

kyrcl.png
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    listen

this is a place for "bad" food

and a place for bad "food"

all are welcome

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    the original bad food thread was just a picture of the KFC Double Dog, which was both "bad" and "food"

the schism in this, our church of terrible eats, would come later

but there's nothing in the dogma that outright prohibits one or the other

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • RobonunRobonun It's all fun and games until someone pisses off China Registered User regular
    Mego Thor wrote: »
    I'll have you all know that vodka is the "original pure potato condiment".

2826490.JPG

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I think it was in the last bad food thread that we talked about tamago kake gohan. I decided to make it for breakfast this morning. It tastes totally fine, and the texture if also fine, but I found it a bit bland despite the richness of the egg yolks. I added a little soy sauce and rice vinegar at first, then a little sriracha because why not. I'd eat this again.

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    I'll see you and I'll raise you

CsSbBamVIAEyiQC.jpg

My favorite thing about this ad is that it doesn't really have a known origin on the Internet, so no one is entirely sure if it's real or some sort of joke/parody. The company that it references is real, but has gone through a lot of changes since then and there's no easily-found record of this product actually existing, much less this ad. It's a small mystery and I love it.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

Nalley's

is

Adequate!

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    the soy is kind of expected.

You could also try getting a container of furikake if you have a japanese grocery nearby.

4a4a25d4_6c87824d_small_furikake_bottles1.jpg

It's not cheap, but a little goes a long way and it can add a bunch of flavour.

• BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    I remember having a cashier silently gasp when she saw I was buying a couple cans of spam.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Nalley's

is

Adequate!

SAVORY YAM

#pipe wrote: »
    the soy is kind of expected.

You could also try getting a container of furikake if you have a japanese grocery nearby.

4a4a25d4_6c87824d_small_furikake_bottles1.jpg

It's not cheap, but a little goes a long way and it can add a bunch of flavour.

I'm not a huge fan of furikake as I don't really like the taste of nori.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I remember having a cashier silently gasp when she saw I was buying a couple cans of spam.

SPAM is delicious. It's pork shoulder and potato starch, I think. There are lower sodium versions now!

• DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular

SPAM is delicious. It's pork shoulder and potato starch, I think. There are lower sodium versions now!

I once read an ingredient label for a can of Spam, it read something along the lines of "May contain beef and/or pork and/or chicken and/or mutton, etc." This was over fifteen years ago so it may have changed since then.

steam_sig.png
    Daimar wrote: »

I once read an ingredient label for a can of Spam, it read something along the lines of "May contain beef and/or pork and/or chicken and/or mutton, etc." This was over fifteen years ago so it may have changed since then.

From Spam's website, the ingredients are: Pork with Ham, Salt, Water, Modified Potato Starch, Sugar, Sodium Nitrite.

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular

you are probably misremembering. Spam has always just been pork.

• RobonunRobonun It's all fun and games until someone pisses off China Registered User regular

You may be thinking of potted meat. That stuff is horrifying.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    My favorite potted meat ingredient is "partially defatted pork fatty tissue."

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    one time when I lived in Mississippi I went into a Winn-Dixie and saw the following on one of the aisle markers:

CANNED MEAT
    POTTED MEAT
    CANNED MEAT

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I have never forgotten that image, or the horrors that it was referencing

Those canned vienna sausages, I can't believe I used to regularly eat those.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I visited the Spam Museum in Austin, Minnesota once

there's a room that just has a television playing Monty Python's Spam sketch on a loop

• ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular

There's a lite version as well (less fat, calories, and sodium to boot) and a whole bunch of flavored varieties. Teriyaki, bacon, chorizo, tocino, jalapeno, turkey, etc etc etc. Portuguese Sausage Spam is one of my favorites right now.

I really like the chorizo variety. Nothing on good chorizo, but still tasty.

basically spam is hella good and I wish my girlfriend liked it so that I could actually buy some (it's hard for me to use an entire can before it goes bad)

I am posting this video again because the sandwich described herein is one of the tastiest things I've ever made
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQe9hnkCDTQ

I visited the Spam Museum in Austin, Minnesota once

there's a room that just has a television playing Monty Python's Spam sketch on a loop

The only good thing to ever come of spam.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Maybe some fruity Spam Fiesta Peach Cups will convince her about the tastiness of Spam.

qo8n7r0auxa5.jpg

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I started student teaching at a first grade and oh my god american school lunch makes me so sad.

Monday was hamburgers (just buns and a paddy), Tuesday was two limp flap jacks, a sausage paddy and syrup, today was pizza and tatter tots. I think the drink for all three days eas chocolate milk.

I don't think I've seen a single fruit or green vegetable.

Why would you do this to children?

Honestly, at this point it's mostly just to spite Jamie Oliver.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I started student teaching at a first grade and oh my god american school lunch makes me so sad.

Monday was hamburgers (just buns and a paddy), Tuesday was two limp flap jacks, a sausage paddy and syrup, today was pizza and tatter tots. I think the drink for all three days eas chocolate milk.

My school had a decent salad bar. And a veggie option. I could see those things maybe not existing anymore, though, what with budget cuts and whatnot.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

My school had a decent salad bar. And a veggie option. I could see those things maybe not existing anymore, though, what with budget cuts and whatnot.

As far as I can tell what is served is what they get, no choice in the matter.

Hearing a first grader complain "oh man not pizza again" today was nuts. You should never be feeding a first grader so much pizza that they are actually sick of pizza.

edited September 2016
    when I was a kid I hated pizza day at school because the pizza was made on English muffins with this nasty sauce and these pepperoni slices that always turned into little grease cups

man thinking back, I'm amazed I got enough nutrition at school because most of that food was borderline inedible and I don't know how they got away with it

this was in a private school, even!

Shorty on
    In my school cafeteria, pizza day was the worst day. Soggy rectangles of bland cheese pizza, usually with corn hidden under the plastic cheese layer.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    Never liked tater tots because my first impression of them was getting served a cold cup of them at the school cafeteria.

As far as I can tell what is served is what they get, no choice in the matter.

Hearing a first grader complain "oh man not pizza again" today was nuts. You should never be feeding a first grader so much pizza that they are actually sick of pizza.

Pizza day was a thing to be celebrated in my day. Also chili day (giant fucking cinnamon rolls!) and ham patty day.

God do I miss those ham patties.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    when I was a kid I remember the best day being chicken-fried steak day

I wish I could find a restaurant that serves chicken-fried steak like I remember it

I know that I have talked about this before, but the greatest betrayal in my life was when my high school cafeteria switched from a spicy chicken sandwich with a Wendy's quality breast to cheaper than McDonald's chicken patties.

Other than that, I feel like my high school lunches were alright. They always had at least one fruit and one veggie, and two entree options. Drinks were fountain water, bottled water, orange juice, or milk (2%, chocolate, or strawberry). When I was in grade school I only had one entree option and the only drinks were milk or fountain water, but otherwise it was the same. High school had round pizzas that were a hair below Little Ceasar's quality, grade school was soggy squares.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    when I was a kid I remember the best day being chicken-fried steak day

I wish I could find a restaurant that serves chicken-fried steak like I remember it

I don't think you'll find it's like at a restaurant, but I imagine you could probably find them at your local CostCo or Sams Club and just bake them yourself.
    Of course, they're not going to be the same because it's hard to remember them without the years of nostalgia in place, but it might not be that far off.

see317 on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    My high school was very small, and the nice little old ladies made the best food.

The school's been renovated, they're all retired, and the lunch's are pre made by some huge company.

I wept when I found out.

This discussion has been closed.