As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

USA Presidential Election 2016: Galoot Debate

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Hmmm a little bit of a blurb on NPR just now that Donald trump is still complaining about his mic

It was just part of the every half hour news headlines thing but I hope that nonsense doesn't somehow get legs

Oh please let it have legs...

I'm surprised at the reaction to that, it didn't really blow my hair back. I think it was a good point.

It's more that our media is so used to a measured response from a democrat. They have to be the adult party. So her smiling and saying whining is something losers do is like a burn from up high.

This, more than anything, is what's going to give me brain death. For decades, my chosen party has to be restrained, and "adult." We can't talk about guns because we can't have an rational argument about it. We have to moderate all of our left leaning because of the two party system, and we need the moderates on our side.

It doesn't matter that republican shitheels literally breakdown our government on a regular basis.
    It doesn't matter that they suppress voters.
    Or that they are blatantly screwing over minorities and the poor.
    It doesn't matter that they LITERALLY LIE ON A DAILY BASIS.

When democrats are winning, they need to reach to the center (right). When we're losing we have to reach to the center (right). Don't punch down. Don't fact check. Smile. But not too much.

I don't want to make any analogies, because I'm shit at them, but it almost makes me wonder if this is what minorities or women go through on a daily basis, the double-standard that's applied to the right, vs the left.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Clinton and Trump both flubbed on the 2nd amendment but ties go to Trump on that one.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    The Hilary criticisms are weird. Just read about how she didn't have an American Flag pin on her dress and that somehow makes her less fit to run the country.

lol if u aren't wrapping urself in flags b4 u do anything

• Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Fuck my life

Trump's coming to my town tomorrow

Goddammit

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky

holy shit that's hilarious

• kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    Okay, so now that I've finally caught up on the thread, I think my favorite parts of the debate were:
    • Trump insisting that he has "a winning temperament. I know how to win." That's not even what that phrase means, Donald!
    • Clinton handled the email thing very smartly. She immediately acknowledged it, said she shouldn't have done it, and then moved on rather than lingering on it trying to make justifications.
    • Clinton did not get caught in the racism trap that Trump clearly wanted to spring on her. He was obviously trying to lure her into either 1) saying that cops are racist; 2) denying that cops are racist (potentially alienating minority support); or 3) waffling uncomfortably about the issue. And she did none of that, instead stating outright that everyone struggles with bias of some sort and that more should be done to deal with that.
    • And of course, her reaction to the temperament thing. This may well be the most pure, unbridled joy that I've ever seen from Clinton and it beams directly into my soul. I was immediately hoping for gifs and was not disappointed.

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    People here also hated Bush

Although it was less of an echo chamber than it maybe is today

I dunno about in SE, but in the D&D threads, there are quite a few people who defected to the Obama coalition

steam_sig.png
  • GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    Man that guy totally didn't watch Beauty and the Beast all the way through.

edited September 2016
    kaceyp wrote: »
    Okay, so now that I've finally caught up on the thread, I think my favorite parts of the debate were:
    Clinton handled the email thing very smartly. She immediately acknowledged it, said she shouldn't have done it, and then moved on rather than lingering on it trying to make justifications.

My favorite thing about this one is the moderator shortly thereafter gave Trump a chance to do something similar with the birther thing. To say "that was a mistake, if I could do it over I would not have done it, let's move on" and instead of doing that (immediately after seeing how effective that strategy was for Clinton) he gave one of his least coherent responses to it yet.

(Obviously there's way more to Donald Trump's birther movement and it shouldn't be that easily dismissed, but in the context of the debate, that would have been the right play for him, I think.)

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    Garthor wrote: »
    Man that guy totally didn't watch Beauty and the Beast all the way through.
    Maybe he meant the parts with Belle and Gaston, that would be pretty on point

• SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Clinton handled the email thing very smartly. She immediately acknowledged it, said she shouldn't have done it, and then moved on rather than lingering on it trying to make justifications.

My favorite thing about this one is the moderator shortly thereafter gave Trump a chance to do something similar with the birther thing. To say "that was a mistake, if I could do it over I would not have done it, let's move on" and instead of doing that (immediately after seeing how effective that strategy was for Clinton) he gave one of his least coherent responses to it yet.

(Obviously there's way more to Donald Trump's birther movement and it shouldn't be that easily dismissed, but in the context of the debate, that would have been the right play for him, I think.)

Donald Trump is physically incapable of admitting he ever made a mistake.

sig.gif
  • ChallChall Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »

Beyond admitting his mistakes, I'm not sure he's capable of understanding that he can make mistakes.

• WordLustWordLust Fort Wayne, INRegistered User regular
    Chall wrote: »

Beyond admitting his mistakes, I'm not sure he's capable of understanding that he can make mistakes.

I can admit when I make mistakes. I'm really one of the best at admitting when I mistakes. Just tremendous. I just never make mistakes, but if I wanted to make one, I'd be the best at it, believe me. Just incredible.

WordLust wrote: »

I can admit when I make mistakes. I'm really one of the best at admitting when I mistakes. Just tremendous. I just never make mistakes, but if I wanted to make one, I'd be the best at it, believe me. Just incredible.

He solved the issue of dealing with mistakes by ensuring the mistakes never happened to begin with.

...shit I think I cracked it. The reason his response to "how would you fix X problem" is always "well X never should have happened in the first place" is that he thinks he can actually rewrite history through sheer force of will!

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Except his history of marriage shows that to be a lie...

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited September 2016

He solved the issue of dealing with mistakes by ensuring the mistakes never happened to begin with.

...shit I think I cracked it. The reason his response to "how would you fix X problem" is always "well X never should have happened in the first place" is that he thinks he can actually rewrite history through sheer force of will!

"I didn't start the birther movement. Hillary did."

HOLY SHIT HE'S RIGHT. HOW DID HE DO THAT?!

What the world sees: Donald Trump telling lies.

What Donald sees: I JUST REWROTE HISTORY. I'M A WIZARD.

WordLust on
    PantsB wrote: »

From D&D for those worrying about "OH NOES PEOPLE THINK TRUMP WON!" Yeah people in russia...

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular

From D&D for those worrying about "OH NOES PEOPLE THINK TRUMP WON!" Yeah people in russia...

you're misinterpreting the importance of that tweet

there's been a lot of evidence tying russian interests to trump in this election cycle: the idea that there is a russian brigade trying to drum up support for him definitely lends credence to that

• JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular

there's been a lot of evidence tying russian interests to trump in this election cycle: the idea that there is a russian brigade trying to drum up support for him definitely lends credence to that

That's why he's such an expert on THE CYBER, he has a crack team of guys working on THE CYBER for him.

• fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular

That's why he's such an expert on THE CYBER, he has a crack team of guys working on THE CYBER for him.

is there a citation for that image?

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular

Trendsmap

Donald Trump will teach you how to cyber. A/S/L?

So many of the traps Hilary laid were easy to get out of with "I've done some things that now, looking back, I regret. I've realised that I was wrong about A, B and C, but something something Benghazi private email server". But he just doesn't do it! He won't even lie about things that are important!

"You refused to rent to black tenants"
    "No I didn't"

See how easy that was Donald?

DrDinosaur wrote: »

Trendsmap

Pfft, we can't trust that. It could have been China or ISIS or some awful lazy nerd stereotype.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

34/F/Ivanka's room

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular

No/yes/yes.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Sean backs up Trump about the Iraq war thing. And Newt said "don't go after Hillary, go after the moderator."

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    That's a cool website. I almost want to spend $19 month.

Gvzbgul on

34/F/Ivanka's room

quagmire.jpeg

Tox wrote: »
    Sean backs up Trump about the Iraq war thing. And Newt said "don't go after Hillary, go after the moderator."

Funny he wouldn't answer some people who called him about it...

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    So many of the traps Hilary laid were easy to get out of with "I've done some things that now, looking back, I regret. I've realised that I was wrong about A, B and C, but something something Benghazi private email server". But he just doesn't do it! He won't even lie about things that are important!

"No I didn't"

Yeah but he didn't admit guilt

Can't have done anything wrong if you don't legally admit guilt. Settlement payments are good will charity gestures

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    [*] And of course, her reaction to the temperament thing. This may well be the most pure, unbridled joy that I've ever seen from Clinton and it beams directly into my soul. I was immediately hoping for gifs and was not disappointed.
    [/list]

One of the biggest challenges Hillary has had is appealing to young voters or people who think she's too inhuman, too much of a government careerist to have a human side.

Moments like this gif do a lot to remedy that.

Look at Obama. Cool fuckin' dude, right? Gets coffee with Jerry Seinfeld, makes funny videos where he can't dip a cookie and says "Thanks Obama!", shows up on Between Two Ferns and Jimmy Fallon and is a funny, laid back dude, right?

Man, that shit is calculated to the fucking microsecond. He's goddamned great at it, and it sells him as The People's President. The President You Wanna Grab a Beer With. The kind of President that Bernie supporters are gunna miss.

Hillary's finally taking notes. She's letting her human side show. The mic not working comment she made on the plane? All part of that plan. She can go up in the debate and talk policy, smartly let issues like email pass by admitting wrongdoing and judo-rolling into the next topic, but hey check it out, she's pretty funny sometimes too!

Smart fuckin' move.

8406wWN.png
  • JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Not to alarm anyone, but the federal budget ends Friday at midnight.

The Democrats just blocked a stopgap budget for a few different reasons.

"No I didn't"

Can't have done anything wrong if you don't legally admit guilt. Settlement payments are good will charity gestures

Since he never admitted guilt, he could literally have just gone "they were wrong, I didn't do it." He lies all the time, but for some reason he refuses to when it really matters. "you didn't pay those people" "yes I did". That's all he needs to do.

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular

"No I didn't"

Since he never admitted guilt, he could literally have just gone "they were wrong, I didn't do it." He lies all the time, but for some reason he refuses to when it really matters. "you didn't pay those people" "yes I did". That's all he needs to do.

I feel like it's because those are the things he's actually proud of

Why wouldn't he admit it? It makes him look smarter than the rubes he conned, in his mind

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Yeah he seems quite enthusiastic about how good of a businessman he is from not paying taxes, profiting off of market crashes, and not paying people who work for him

PNk1Ml4.png
    Enlong wrote: »

No/yes/yes.

wait

you don't age but you... location?

• fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular

"No I didn't"

i'd really love to play against The Donald in poker someday.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
This discussion has been closed.