As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Warhammer 40.000: Eternal Crusade] Founders packs are live

• NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    On a more serious note, who all has been actively playing this stuff lately? I've gotten my CSM up to rank 2, but thus far the advancement screen has a whole lot of nothing in it to spend my advancement points on.

Do you mean nothing worth buying because it doesn't interest you, or literally they haven't added any advancement stuff to CSM?

Literally nothing, which seems odd because I know I've seen other people doing stuff where they get glowy aura circle things.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    That's normal, they're testing balance, so everything you get through advancements is available to you right now, but once launch (and the last wipe) comes, the advancement system will be reinstated for every race.

Elaro on
    Children's rights are human rights.
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Got a 'nid queue to pop, I rather liked how it played. Also a guy called me garbage because he got in my line of fire and died because he had just been downed by a warrior so he had a sliver of health. Maybe don't get in front of the heavy bolter, guy!

Been ages since I played Space Marine so my basis of comparison is probably all rusty, but the nid stuff feels much more enjoyable than Space Marine's exterminatus mode. Though part of that may be that I don't think I ever played Exterminatus with a full team and it doesn't downscale that stuff for partial groups.

:edit: Oh, nearly forgot! When you enter a sector lock between zones in the 'nid stuff, if you let nids get in, they'll be stuck in that tiny room with you. And if you end up with a wipe before hitting the button to start the next zone (in the case I encountered, a warrior had gotten into the lock with us), you don't get respawned.

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Patch 22 is live, it brings wolves, iron warriors and progression, but no appearance customization... yet.

Not having all the fun toys unlocked at the start is a less than fun change.

On the other hand, there's new fun toys!

Also latejoining into an all-but-lost match against a massive premade is less than enjoyable.

Doubleposting because nobody posts in here, there was a patch today, and it looks like guilds are finally a thing if we wanted to see about setting any up.

I don't think they'll let us carry the tag WANG into battle, Neo.

And, uh, I'm with The Mad Nomads. One of their higher-ups recruited me. The game is an order of magnitude more fun when you can voice chat, though, so I can only recommend you guys "guild" up.

• CobellCobell Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    So from what I can tell they're backing away from the more MMO aspects in this (for release anyway), so what is this game at this point? Is it essentially a 3rd person, shooter, pvp battle arena game with persistent character advancement?

Cobell on
    It'd be nice if the default loadouts subbed in your founder/whatever cosmetic guns if you have them, what with having to grind through advancements a ways before you can make custom loadouts better than the defaults.

edited September 2016
    Cobell wrote: »
    So from what I can tell they're backing away from the more MMO aspects in this (for release anyway), so what is this game at this point? Is it essentially a 3rd person, shooter, pvp battle arena game with persistent character advancement?

The quickest way to describe it would be "Space Marine's multiplayer, but with a higher player cap." Such a simplistic description is obviously not entirely accurate, but it gets the jist of things down.

Rather than a straightforward 'hit x level to unlock y gear' like Space Marine, you get advancement points as you gain XP, which are used to purchase unlocks in your advancement tree. Haven't looked at what the other factions' advancements are like, but with Chaos it's mostly a combination of "it costs you less equipment points to equip this type of weapon" and "here's a trinket you can equip for a smallish boost to a stat", alongside things like "wear this sigil to show your devotion to [chaos god] and get their boon." You additionally gain requisition alongside your XP, which is used to purchase wargear. There is also the MMO funmoney, which is used to purchase things like cosmetics (there's customization now! Sadly not nearly as robust as Space Marine) and some fancy wargear. Haven't looked at the stats on the funmoney guns, but I know back in the early days they were pretty adamant on saying that funmoney stuff wouldn't be pay-to-win, so hopefully that still holds. If nothing else they look pretty fancy compared to the regular guns.

:edit: also the maps themselves are much larger, being built with vehicles in mind, rather than fully footslogger-scale.

NEO|Phyte on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    So, the game is live, right? Anyone who didn't buy in years ago try it yet?

What is this I don't even.
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    It's live. People are saying it's fun, but only if you can look past the very janky nature of the game.

YL9WnCY.png
  • KisidanKisidan Registered User regular
    Should this thread get moved? My understanding is that the game is no longer an MMO ...?

Man daemonbolt is lucky it's on the branch of the advancement tree that leads to the Sorcerer veteran class, because it sucks. Longer windup than a plasma cannon, all for a big obvious projectile that moves in a straight line at a brisk walking pace.

Suppose it might be useful if it's got enough penetration to be a vehicle killer, probably ought to test that.

It's live. People are saying it's fun, but only if you can look past the very janky nature of the game.

What do you mean janky?

What do you mean janky?

I assume he is referring to the part where the game isn't strictly fully ready to go, but the publisher wanted it live so it's live now.
    There's still bugs, netcode could use some tightening up, and I'm pretty sure the general consensus is that Eldar need toned down some.

• MortifiedPenguinMortifiedPenguin Registered User regular
    My biggest problem is that the combat doesn't feel great yet. I mean, it works okay and I am having a ton of fun, but the melee system especially doesn't feel weighty. I swing at an enemy and even when I know I'm getting hits it doesn't feel like it. Using even a chainsword in Space Marine (because you can't not make comparisons to that) feels awesome and in this I like I'm waving a fly swatter around and sometimes people fall over.

You feel it when someone hits you in any way, but not when you hit them. I see hit markers when I shoot someone with a bolter, but is that guy actually injured?

All that being said, I want a squad to play with in this :biggrin:

edited September 2016
    Yeah, the melee system isn't particularly well explained, it took a loading screen tip to tell me that in a 'clang' (when you melee someone that is meleeing back), the weapon with the stronger penetration value wins and applies some damage to the enemy's weapon durability thing (that sword hud indicator that pops up sometimes), and if that runs out they stop being able to melee. If both weapons have the same value, no winner, enjoy clanging forever. There's also some sort of rock paper scissors between attack types I think.

:edit: as for hits doing damage, I'm pretty sure that on nondamaging hits, you get a red x on your crosshairs. Mostly you only see that when plinking vehicles with small arms.

NEO|Phyte on
  • nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    I've been watching this on livestreams for a couple days and it look alright, but not attractive enough to pick up right now.

TTK/Combat looks insane
    Most kills take 1 or 2 seconds, and don't even involve vehicles most of the time. These Counterstrike level insta kills look really unattractive, and don't seem to encourage much teamplay. Combine that with the apparent server performance issues, and it appears pretty random who wins a given fight. The Savage 2 style melee is interesting, but I can't tell what mechanics are at work from watching. Getting your Power Axe loadout stunned when you hit some guy with a metal knife looks ridiculous and frustrating. Sounds like there may be some bugs still? It would be nice to see more types of healing, like maybe a Mekboy/Librarian/Farseer that can give teammates stronger shields within a radius or something? I've only seen Apothecary Marines and Sorcerers so far, and lifebars are so short I'm not sure what good healing is.

Player movement is too fast
    I understand Eldar flying around the place, but watching Orks and Space Marines warp around so fast the server can't even keep up looks janky as hell. This seems to turn combat away from squad tactics, where you are almost as likely to hit a teammate as the enemy, and into Quake Deathmatch where you almost have to zone your opponents out with AOE attacks to have any chance of dealing damage at range. Melee combat seems so strong because you can close distances or ambush almost anyone. It doesn't really look satisfying to me. Melee is a thing in TT but here, even with a 2H bolter, you appear to end up knife fighting every time. Maybe this is designed to reduce travel time around the map, but that's what a jetpack or vehicle is supposed to be for. Battlefield seems to have a pretty good balance, and it'd be interesting to actually see a firing line push across some open ground instead of 2 people circle strafe each other trying to land hits. Maybe its just my preference.

Maps look too gamey
    This falls into the WAR or MWO category where everything looks a little too much like a theme park. 40k is anything but realistic, but half the fun is watching these crazy Sci-Fi elements stomp all over someplace a normal human is trying to call home. Everything is a twisty maze and all the capture points are conveniently placed far away from vehicle access. Terrain seems to have way too much vertical displacement. Every hallway and catwalk is crazy wide. I assume a lot of this is so the zoomed out third person camera works, but I'm not a huge fan of that either. Its definitely not a deal breaker.

Its not all bad though...

Vehicles look and sound amazing
    I wish there were more vehicles used. Seems like its mostly the Planetside style vehicle role of "drive mobile spawn point to objective and park it." No Whirlwinds, or Land Raiders? I assume there are a lot of vehicles coming. Maybe whole new maps will be developed when flyers and bigger stuff shows up. If its as impressive as whats already in the game, the vehicles might be most of the fun.

Dreadnoughts/Kans/Wraithlords, Terminators/Wraithguard?/Nobz? are coming?
    Seems like these are due before the end of the year? That's a pretty good turnaround, and hopefully they can keep the pace of development up. The rushed release is troubling, but Behavior seems to be dealing with it well. I hope they'll be lucky enough to retain enough staff to keep pace and continue putting content out. BANDAI is a little bit of a wildcard, not sure how well they'll support the game.

At the moment I think I'm gonna wait for a few big content releases and see how things go.

nonoffensive on
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    I'm feeling positive about what I've seen of it on Twitch thus far, but yeah the combat still needs tightening to be closer to what Space Marine had, along with some balance changes to make Eldar less powerful across the board (their Warlocks especially are pretty crazy in melee with their huge swords).

I still hope to eventually get into this because even though it's not quite the MMO we were promised what they've delivered is very true to the IP and still looks like a lot of fun, I'd just like to see them microwave the netcode a bit longer first, and maybe catch it on sale.

488W936.png
    There was actually a patch yesterday that claims to have toned down eldar, haven't fired up the game since patch yet to see the difference.

Nothing in the notes about melee in general or netcode, though.

Hey, EC is on sale now.

• manjimanji Registered User regular
    GBP20 is still too much for a game which seems to need another year's work. at this point i'm hoping it lasts long enough for the devs to get it into decent shape. really it'll need a slain! style re-release to bury it's original incarnation if it ever gets that far.

also wtf namco? it's like no-one learned a damn thing from warhammer online's botched release.

Missing features or not, this game is damn fun to play!

I find I prefer the game modes with limited respawn tickets for the defenders, really forces people to play smart. Also makes for some amazing upsets.

edited January 2017
    It's on sale for 17 USD at the Humble Store, if you're waiting.
    Eternal Crusade

EDIT: It's now in the Humble Bundle for the "beat the average" price.

Elaro on
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    And they are now giving current owners a free friend code to let a friend try it out.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
    it's going F2P. 1/3 progression speed and no air support classes, but otherwise you get the lot. hopefully they'll make enough money selling hats to keep the development going.

i picked it up for next to nothing in a humble bundle and i'm enjoying it a lot. it seems to be in a decent state now and playing orks means i can at least attach a narrative to my inability to shoot straight.

manji wrote: »
    it's going F2P. 1/3 progression speed and no air support classes, but otherwise you get the lot. hopefully they'll make enough money selling hats to keep the development going.

i picked it up for next to nothing in a humble bundle and i'm enjoying it a lot. it seems to be in a decent state now and playing orks means i can at least attach a narrative to my inability to shoot straight.

I play as an Space Marine imperial fist, and I don't have any complaints about my accuracy?

Oh, you meant that you, personally, can't shoot straight. Cool, cool. ... You know that SM Ground Assaults have a shield+melee weapon, so you never need to aim at all?

Also, I have a F2P code as well. anybody wants it?

yeah, its my lack of pro skillz. 14yr olds and the unemployed make mincemeat out of me. i've been playing an ork either with a shield or a shoota with the largest clip size i can get my hands on.

I'd be interested in a F2P code if anyone has a spare.

I have a key! Elaro hooked me up and then NEO tried to dogpile on to make sure I was super waaaghed!

• IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Did this just go F2P for all? Because I think this just went F2P for all.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
    It's not so much "F2P" as "play for free, but you get stuff (XP, loot, advancements) at a much slower rate than Real Paying Players, and you can't play the Jump Infantry classes".

So it's more of a... I wanna say, trial version? than a proper F2P model.

Elaro wrote: »
    It's not so much "F2P" as "play for free, but you get stuff (XP, loot, advancements) at a much slower rate than Real Paying Players, and you can't play the Jump Infantry classes".

Free to play with slower advancement and some limits is totally standard.

The fact that you can't level up anything at all but ork is a bit odder.

Free to play with slower advancement and some limits is totally standard.

The fact that you can't level up anything at all but ork is a bit odder.

Didn't they say they redid the 'free to waaagh!' so it wasn't faction locked to ork? Or did they change their minds again.

Also apparently the influx of f2p duders has utterly demolished their servers, I can't even make it to character selection currently.

• MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    So I made myself a Dark Angel. Anyone else playing a Space Marine?

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
    Yes hello

(Imperial Fist)

Loyalist dogs!

Steadily working my way up to rank 5 and the veteran classes, hopefully those things get more loadout points because man is it expensive to kit out sorcerers.

• MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Yes hello

(Imperial Fist)

If you're playing PC, you can add me on Steam. I've figured out a few things for this.

Bolters are better in Burst Fire mode, and the 3.5 scope for the regular bolter has helped my aim significantly.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
    Observation:

Supply drop drops are finite. It's got a list of goodies it can give you, and you can't get repeats, so keep buying the things until it tells you you have all the drops. I have no clue if there is any overlap in the drop tables, so it is unclear if starting from the el cheapo tier and working your way up is more efficient than grabbing from a tier you want drops from.