As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MLP: Onto a comical new season

• PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    Katie cook will be at the con I'm at all weekend. But I am demoing VR all weekend :T

jCyyTSo.png
  • TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Holy cow, that episode.
    To call that whole thing on the nose would be underselling it. From the convention experience to the fan arguments, to the little bit at the beginning with Twilight being super bummed she wasn't able to go to the con. That entire thing was clearly made from experience, and poked fun with loving intent (Sometimes uncomfortably close to reality - That pillow, eesh).

I don't think they could've made a more perfect Patton Oswalt pony without a literally shoving the actor himself through an Equestria Girls style mirror. Everything about Quibble was pretty much Patton down to a tee - And that end credits bit was absolutely fantastic.

There were quite a few hanging lampshades and fandom quirk acknowledgements throughout the episode that were pretty cool, too.

Overall, a pretty keen episode to end the mid-season hiatus.

TetraNitroCubane on
    VuIBhrs.png
  • RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    There was an episode today??
    I've been out of the pony loop for a while.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    Yup! Mid-season Hiatus ended this morning. We're hopefully looking at weekly episodes from here on to the end of season six (baring any intermittent weekly hiccups/reruns).

VuIBhrs.png
  • BremenBremen Registered User regular
    Holy cow, that episode.
    To call that whole thing on the nose would be underselling it. From the convention experience to the fan arguments, to the little bit at the beginning with Twilight being super bummed she wasn't able to go to the con. That entire thing was clearly made from experience, and poked fun with loving intent (Sometimes uncomfortably close to reality - That pillow, eesh).

I don't think they could've made a more perfect Patton Oswalt pony without a literally shoving the actor himself through an Equestria Girls style mirror. Everything about Quibble was pretty much Patton down to a tee - And that end credits bit was absolutely fantastic.

There were quite a few hanging lampshades and fandom quirk acknowledgements throughout the episode that were pretty cool, too.

Overall, a pretty keen episode to end the mid-season hiatus.

According to twitter, Patton Oswalt improv'd that whole end credits rant at a recording session and everyone was laughing too hard to stop him :D

• Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Plus a new Best Pony Face:
    2phdcfn2jgh2.jpg

Werewolf2000ad on
    steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Also guess who's else is back?

https://youtu.be/R_7UCaK_Otk

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    Also it seems that Hasbro's remembered what other companies they own and are doing a cross-over D&D shirt with the proceeds going to charity.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Yeah that was a good episode

Like real good

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • RuldarRuldar Registered User regular
    What a great episode. That vendor hall, just perfect.

And then the adventure part was pretty great too.

• Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    Also, Derpy is best Cabelleron.

7iz61uaensbt.jpg

steam_sig.png
    steam_sig.png
  • Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Just actually watched the latest fluffle video. That was a pretty great punchline.

jnij103vqi2i.png
    Oh wow. That tribute cover for Friends Forever #34.
    9fg9f89.jpg

VuIBhrs.png
  • Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    That muppets cover.

jnij103vqi2i.png
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-A0zui0SRs

"WELL GUESS WHAT, SASSAFRAS?!"

steam_sig.png
    Can't wait.
    But I hope the Mane 6 are involved in the episode in some way. How dare they pass up DnD shenanigans without the mane ponies?

• OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-ja6TDRgT4

A Patreon request has comic-book reviewer Linkara taking a look at one of the main IDW series' worst stories from the viewpoint of a neutral non-brony. The pre-title opening has some Season 6 stuff mentioned so if you haven't caught up yet, you may want to fast forward a few minutes ahead to the actual review.

edited September 2016
    It's certainly a weak arc, but I'm not sure I would have selected those issues for the "Worst" among the comics. Then again, I suppose they give Linkara more to work with than some of the other, flatter issues.

TetraNitroCubane on
    VuIBhrs.png
    Maybe 'worst' is a bit too strong but it's just that a good percentage of the characters in the book act like idiots, jackasses or both. Said both being the Deer's King and Well-To-Do, especially by the climax of the story. They could have built up WTD as a proper villainous Minotaur and thus given the comic someone else to use rather then shoehorn Iron Will into the role again for the Crystal Empire invasion story when he clearly isn't a bad guy. Instead, WTD takes a swerve towards stupid evil so hard you're left wondering how this guy ever got successful in the first place as a businessman. The King's little better, his intelligence dipping just moments after his introduction. I seriously hope his eldest son hung on to the throne after the story with a "Umm, nope, I think I'll run things for a while".

steam_sig.png
    edited September 2016
    That preview makes the next episode look like one of those "startlingly familiar lesson" type episodes. Looking forward to it!

The next Equestria Girls Moive: Legend of Everfree is set to debut tomorrow as well. It was actually broadcast early last week in Brazil, even with the English voice cast, so the movie's been floating around for the last few days if you know where to scour.

TetraNitroCubane on
    VuIBhrs.png
    What time will the movie air? All im seeing is the new episode for tomorrow.

Riokenn wrote: »
    What time will the movie air? All im seeing is the new episode for tomorrow.

Oh heck, I just checked into that. Apparently tomorrow's release is on Netflix. I knew it was debuting tomorrow in North America, but I didn't realize where. Interesting, because last Saturday they aired in on Discovery Family in Brazil.

I'm sure they'll air it on Discovery Family eventually, but I haven't seen when that will be.

VuIBhrs.png
    edited October 2016
    Due to some peculiarity with international scheduling, the final episodes of the season are set to air in the UK over the next few days. Episode 23 will air tomorrow morning (roughly two hours from now, actually), with episodes 25 and 26 (two part finale) airing on Thursday the 6th and Friday the 7th. Then, episode 24 will air on Monday the 10th to close out the season. Some more details here.

I think in the US/Canada, episode 23 will air on Saturday the 8th as per usual.

EDIT: Looks like the info was wrong (for today, at least)! The UK schedule still shows the finale airing tomorrow and Friday, but this morning they showed a rerun.

Confusion and chaos persist. More updates as events warrant.

Further Edit: Equestria Daily has another update on the situation.
    If you were around last night or read the episode post, we didn't actually get a new episode yesterday. We weren't too sure leading up to it as mentioned a million times thanks to TIVO boxes and the website being updated back on Monday saying that the episode was replaced with a rerun. It was around a 50/50 chance. The finale is a bit different though. As of right now has not been swapped on any of the listings.

The prevailing runor is that Cider usage was in the planned episode and it had to be delayed. Tinypop is for little kids, and in Europe, Cider is almost always an alcoholic substance. If that is the case, it would explain why it was removed while the finale still remains for tonight.

There are numerous screenshots of emails from Tinypop talking about the cider and saying the finale actually does air tonight. We are about half a day away from finding out. Like yesterday, we will run another episode post and keep an eye out for streams. If we don't get anything tonight, I think it's safe to assume Hasbro stepped in to stop it, and we can return to your regularly scheduled USA release scheduled for the weeks to come. Right now though, it's looking legit.

The possibility remains that the finale will air tomorrow (Midnight PST tonight) and Friday.

TetraNitroCubane on
    VuIBhrs.png
    edited October 2016
    Sorry to triple-post, but I just wanted to give everyone a heads up: Part one of the season six finale did air this morning, and that means part two will very likely air tomorrow morning. If you are spoiler-adverse and waiting for the US airing, you might want to avoid any pony-related places on the internet, including Twitter. I'll refrain from any discussion here that's outside of a spoiler.
    I certainly never expected to see a two-part finale involving this particular cast of characters. Adding Discord to the mix at the end was a particularly interesting turn of events. Really looking forward to seeing how the finale concludes... This is the first time I think we've actually had to wait more than a commercial break to see the second half!

TetraNitroCubane on
    VuIBhrs.png
    Sorry to triple-post, but I just wanted to give everyone a heads up: Part one of the season six finale did air this morning, and that means part two will very likely air tomorrow morning. If you are spoiler-adverse and waiting for the US airing, you might want to avoid any pony-related places on the internet, including Twitter. I'll refrain from any discussion here that's outside of a spoiler.
    I certainly never expected to see a two-part finale involving this particular cast of characters. Adding Discord to the mix at the end was a particularly interesting turn of events. Really looking forward to seeing how the finale concludes... This is the first time I think we've actually had to wait more than a commercial break to see the second half!
    Trixie was absolute solid gold in this episode. Nice Derpy cameo, too.

steam_sig.png
    edited October 2016
    Part 2 of the finale did air this morning, which means that tomorrow we'll see episode 23 at its normal date and time, and then on Monday episode 24 will leak in the UK.

Finale thoughts:
    Okay, that was really, really good! I loved that entire thing, because they finally put together a finale where each character involved used their talents cooperatively to overcome the issue at hand. I've long since wanted to see a finale where the villain was overcome by each of the Mane Six using their talents in tandem. It really felt like a good old infiltration movie, and in total, it was a great glimpse of each character's strengths complementing each other.

Starlight going up against Chrysalis was a scenario I never considered before, but on reflection it makes a lot of sense. Both being characters who led through coercion, only with Starlight having gone through to the other side of the reform, was actually pretty powerful.

My only complaint was that once again we got a rather sudden, snap ending. It didn't feel as rushed as it has in finales past, by any means. I totally understood why Thorax transformed, after he had been friends with Spike for so long. The other changelings, though... didn't really have that love to share? Regardless, I still felt it was a good finale overall.

Trixie's writing continues to be top bar. Playing her off Discord was excellent. Additional bonus points for the fact that, in the Changeling Hive, Discord's powers were reduced to nothing, and Trixie's illusions were essentially the most potent magic they had. It was a neat inversion, and I was stoked to see Trixie excel the way she did.

So, yeah! Loved it, and can't wait to watch it again in HD.

TetraNitroCubane on
    VuIBhrs.png
  • gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    So, movie of the woods place with the campers and things:
    Opening song is super catchy.

I would not have predicted it, but I've consistently liked Sunset Shimmer more and more over these movies.

Did they really need to change outfits like four times in an hour?

Awkward shoehorned flirting remains awkward and shoehorned.

Man, their villain designs are so much better than their hero ones. Gloriana the Neutral Evil Druid should show up in my next campaign.

I feel like they rather wasted the villain in this one (not the first time...). Gloriana was based around an overactive sense of protection and preservation, yet the finale focused almost entirely on Twilight's fear of her own powers.

I do wish they had spent a bit more time on Gloriana. For a villain, she was highly rational and fairly nice. They could have taken some time to show a series of slow escalations into straight up "Screw the world" instead of just going "Oh, Equestrian magic lol".

Also, we're like 4/4 on being overwhelmed and turned evil by Equestrian Magic. Coincidence or conspiracy - you decide!

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
    gavindel wrote: »

I would not have predicted it, but I've consistently liked Sunset Shimmer more and more over these movies.

Man, their villain designs are so much better than their hero ones. Gloriana the Neutral Evil Druid should show up in my next campaign.

I feel like they rather wasted the villain in this one (not the first time...). Gloriana was based around an overactive sense of protection and preservation, yet the finale focused almost entirely on Twilight's fear of her own powers.

I do wish they had spent a bit more time on Gloriana. For a villain, she was highly rational and fairly nice. They could have taken some time to show a series of slow escalations into straight up "Screw the world" instead of just going "Oh, Equestrian magic lol".

Also, we're like 4/4 on being overwhelmed and turned evil by Equestrian Magic. Coincidence or conspiracy - you decide!

About the antagonistic force in this movie:
    Is it just me or did anyone else think initially that Gaia Everfree was simply EG-world's Everfree given an avatar-istic life by magic? Finding out that it's just another Midnight Sparkle with a Captain Planet bent left me a little disappointed.

• gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »
    gavindel wrote: »

About the antagonistic force in this movie:
    Is it just me or did anyone else think initially that Gaia Everfree was simply EG-world's Everfree given an avatar-istic life by magic? Finding out that it's just another Midnight Sparkle with a Captain Planet bent left me a little disappointed.
    Yeah, Everfree is a forest that doesn't seem to get much play outside of "place to hide whatever plot we need this week".

Actually, as I rewatch the villain song, I think I understand better why it frustrates me. Gloriosa isn't directly threatening anyone. She hasn't actually placed the students in immediate bodily danger. The hero ponies were the one who immediately escalated to violence instead of taking the time to talk her out of her Plot Induced Villain Madness...or at least try. C'mon, its not like Gloriosa ever had a chance. She's like a third tier Batman villain trying to punch Superman; humor her a little.

About the second half of the Season 6 finale:
    I know some folks may be disappointed in what happens with the Changelings but keep in mind that at most their evolution (for a lack of a better word) only happens within that specific hive. There's been no word as far as I can tell that it is or isn't the only hive in existence. Plus there's the fact that most likely not every Changeling was there for said evolution, such as the ones impersonating those captured by Chrysalis. She may not be Queen of those that changed but it's reasonable to assume that not every Changeling will abandon her. At least as far as I know as I've only read what's happened and not seen the episode itself so I may be wrong.

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    I haven't watched this show since like season 3 but this is still one of my favorite artists

https://youtu.be/mTLGxBMo6tQ

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    Welcome back to the Hiatus Zone, everyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJcbn2b92AI

VuIBhrs.png
    Legends of Everfree Bloopers (some spoilers within, if you haven't seen the movie yet):

VuIBhrs.png
    Legends of Everfree Bloopers (some spoilers within, if you haven't seen the movie yet):

But I can't tell whether the bloopers are of the characters-as-actors making an Everfree movie, or the actors-as-characters making an Everfree movie! Aaaaaaaaah~

Apparently most of the voice flubs in the blooper reels are genuine.

steam_sig.png
    Oh hey, MAS season 2 has started.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXEL-DT7inQ

persona4celestia.jpg