As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MTG]-Cataclysmic Gearhulk is Awful and I Hate It And You Should Too

Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinningis WinningRegistered User regular
edited October 2016 in Social Entropy++
cardart_KLD_Deadlock-Trap.jpg

That's my face when I pull a Dubious Challenge.

Anyway, we're on Kaladesh! Artifacts! Chandra! More artifacts! Beautiful, valuable Masterpieces, for everyone! Except you. You don't get one. Too bad.

Drafting, but not sure what cards to look for? Here's a handy pick order list.

And I highly recommend listening to the Limited Resources podcast, which can be found here.

They'll tell you what you need to know!

Except for how to use Dubious Challenge.

Butler For Life #1 on

• The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    I'm opening a fat pack and a box right now and have already gotten a Chandra, aetherworks marvel, and 6 fastlands, and one of the r/w ones is foil.

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    Foil Inspiring Vantage is so nice. I got passed one as a fifth pick in a draft with some newer players.

• Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    I was gonna check out MTGO tonight, try out some of the free new player events

it is not available for mac

so I was gonna try Duels instead

I really wanted to draft, but it could still help me scratch the itch

but it's not available on the iPhone 5c for some reason

so I'm just not playing magic tonight

• Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    what the fuck mol

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
    like, honestly

you get crazier pulls than anyone I have ever known to play this dumb game in my entire life

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
    All i want is a lifecrafter and a pia for my temur edh deck why is that so much to ask for apparently

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I grabbed a bundle today, only thing special in it was a Nissa, which I'm happy about.

I'm more happy that a couple days into spoiler season, I decided to jump on a set of Smuggler's Copters for $4 a pop.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    like, honestly

you get crazier pulls than anyone I have ever known to play this dumb game in my entire life

S O T A R L I V E S

liEt3nH.png
  • Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    Just woke up from a dream I made which I was heading home with a bundle that I was very excited to open

When I woke up I thought "what was I so excited about again?"

And then I remembered what it was, and that I didn't have one in the waking world

Dammit

• RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Glad my prerelease pulls have all stayed good, or gone crazy like Smuggler's Copter did.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • RawrBearRawrBear Registered User regular
    The correct way to use dubious challenge in modern is to remove the dubious challenges from your deck and replace them with madcap experiment and enjoy your 4 cost platinum emperions.

• KlendyKlendy Goomy GoomyGoomyRegistered User regular
    i like using dubious challenge to give my opponent an absurdly large creature then killing my opponent with deflecting palm

goomyisall400.jpg

RawrBear wrote: »
    The correct way to use dubious challenge in modern is to remove the dubious challenges from your deck and replace them with madcap experiment and enjoy your 4 cost platinum emperions.

I've seen people say this but like, what do you do after you have it

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
    mono durdle?

goomyisall400.jpg

• RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    I want a deck that does T5 Confiscation Coup followed by a T6 Torrential Gearhulk.

But boy am I having trouble figuring out what else to put in it right now.

seems like the blue puzzleknot is worthwhile, and maybe the energy turtle. 16 down, 18-20 to go!

goomyisall400.jpg

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Rainfall wrote: »
    I want a deck that does T5 Confiscation Coup followed by a T6 Torrential Gearhulk.

Torrential Gearhulk can only buy back instants

KalTorak wrote: »

Torrential Gearhulk can only buy back instants

Thought it was instant and sorcery. Clearly I need to reevaluate!

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    as far as I can tell the best target you have in blue for torrential is just like, a draw spell or something (also counterspells)

it probably gets a lot better if you're putting things like grasp of darkness and ruinous path in your yard

edit: path is sorcery, damn

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    as far as I can tell the best target you have in blue for torrential is just like, a draw spell or something (also counterspells)

it probably gets a lot better if you're putting things like grasp of darkness and ruinous path in your yard

Yeah I'm pretty sure UB is the way to go for Torrential Gearhulk builds.

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016

Yeah I'm pretty sure UB is the way to go for Torrential Gearhulk builds.

I'm wondering if it's worth sticking torrential into wbr reanimator in a prized amalgam-type "I pitch it and bring it back without ever having blue mana available"

edit: maybe you could hard cast it once with like, aether hubs or something :P

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    In Standard atm basically the only things you'd want to buyback with Torrential are counters and single target kill spells.

Flame Lash is 4 damage???

Radius wrote: »
    In Standard atm basically the only things you'd want to buyback with Torrential are counters and single target kill spells.

buy back that Grip of Desolation for a classic 5-for-2.

you can flash back acrobatic maneuver, draw a card, and then flashback something else, which is kinda cute

oh, engulf the shore, there you go

to the slaughter?

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    Too bad Supplant Form rotated out, that would have been pretty funny.

• RawrBearRawrBear Registered User regular
    RawrBear wrote: »

I've seen people say this but like, what do you do after you have it

You hit them with your 8/8. Or if you're playing against burn or a few other decks pre-sideboard you win cause they have no main board answer to it.

It's not really an instant win combo, but paying 4 mana for an emperion seems like pretty good value, and you don't really have to "assemble" anything, you just find an experiment and cast it. The only drawback is you might draw an emperion. If it gets pathed that's not *good* but its not any worse than playing kalitas and having him get pathed.

I'm not sure what shell is best for it... I'd be tempted to jam it in BR midrange and play it with blood moons. But I've seen some ponza lists on reddit that seem good too... turn 2 bloodmoon, turn 3 emperion sounds fun.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    In my two German Kaladesh boxes I got Chandra, Nissa, Saheeli, U and G Gearhulks, Angel of Innovation, Metallurgic Summonings, Skysovereign, Rashmi and a Lightning Greaves masterpiece. My two foil rares were Madcap Experiment and Fateful Showdown (both of which go real nice into my Kurkesh and Marchesa decks, respectively). One interesting bit is that I got more Smuggler's Thopters and Aerial Responders (oh no!), leading me to believe there are uncommon weights or something. No real crazy names other than Chandra, Fackel des Viderstands. I don't know what a Fackel is or why it makes a vider stand.

Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    No real crazy names other than Chandra, Fackel des Viderstands. I don't know what a Fackel is or why it makes a vider stand.

It's because of Chandra's classic widerstands.

KnltXTi.jpg

KalTorak wrote: »
    Radius wrote: »

buy back that Grip of Desolation for a classic 5-for-2.

Okay, but then you are playing Grip of Desolation in Standard.

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I'm way too into this set. I gotb $100 in gift cards for Amazon from work and even though I've already bought 3 booster boxes I might grab a fourth with the gift cards.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Man, black is being underdrafted right now in MTGO. One draft was so crazy that Tidy Conclusion and Marionette Master wheeled. Tidy Conclusion seems expensive, and it sort of is, but the ability to kill anything at instant speed is really important in this format. Killing their vehicle after they crew it is a huge momentum killer, and it comes up again and again.

Two (of six so far) drafts I ended up monoblack. Sudden Strike in particular is being undervalued. It's a two-for-one 90% of the time you cast it for 1B at instant speed.

Blue is poop from a butt without rares and mythics that can use the energy it produces. And green only seems to be open when I'm already deep into black.

Fun format so far. Lots and lots of card synergies.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
    Seeing a wheeled marionette master is my dream

I mean, I know it's expensive and unsplashable

But it gets you four bodies with one card! Plus it makes your opponent hestitate to kill your servos.

Love that card.

• DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    rip me and my hangarback walker

nobody wants this thing

7yh4xczljsym.png
    Should I go to the PPTQ that's happening in 90 minutes in my city? It's Sealed and 60 bucks to enter but I have nothing else to do today.

edited October 2016
    Last night I dreamt that that my dad opened a Kaladesh bundle and cracked a Chandra and six masterpieces

Today I bought a bundle at comic-con

And I'm seeing my dad tonight

Maybe I'll ask him to crack some packs

Butler For Life #1 on
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    all of your dreams are magic dreams! You've been hitting the aether pretty hard!

Should I go to the PPTQ that's happening in 90 minutes in my city? It's Sealed and 60 bucks to enter but I have nothing else to do today.

I went! Running Fumigate, Eliminate the Competition, Smugglers Copter, Aetherstorm Roc, and life seems very good. No blowout amazing cards but I aced the first round.

• TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    It looks like the GP coverage crew has added Maria Bartholdi, MtACast host and all-around wonderful person, to the booth. Sweet!

This discussion has been closed.