As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[World of Warcraft: Legion] Patch 7.1 out now - Return to Karazhan!

italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
edited October 2016 in MMO Extravaganza

Features

Karazhan reimagined as a 5-man Mythic dungeon (read: raid-lite)
  • Requires attunement via other Mythic Dungeons
  • Drops ilevel 855 loot with last hidden boss dropping 875
  • Whopping 9-boss roster -- will take a significant amount of time to clear
  • Nostalgia garunteeed!

New mini-raid Trials of Valor
  • Releases November 6
  • 3 boss mini-raid
  • 5 ilevels higher than Emerald Nightmare: no tier loot
  • Unique transmog armor
New Suramar Quests

New World Quests

New Zone: Alcaz Isle

New Mounts & Toys

New Blood of Sargaras trader

Full coverage on Wowhead's guide

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
italianranma on

• italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    zwwj159h19z1.png
    FAQ

Is there a PA guild?

There is not a PA guild associated with this thread. We do however have a discord channel that we use to organize. Permanent link is: https://discord.gg/ZrDh6u5, or ask @ Dhalphir
    There are both Horde and alliance toons in there, so feel free to message people and start groups together. Seriously don't be a stranger, there are a lot of helpful people.

There is also a Horde guild on Chogall that is run by the fine people of SE++ which you can find more info about in their thread.
    I'd also be remiss if I didn't mention the ancient Penny Arcade Alliance on Dark Iron. Founded by Tycho himself, <Knights of Arcadia> is still going strong. You can contact @ SniperGuy for more info there. Be forwarned, Dark Iron is a PvP server with a serious imbalance in favor of the Horde, so you know if you're not ready for some 1v5 action...
    jocf9bh5r140.jpg

I haven't played since <Previous Expansion>, what's changed?
    Let me explain... No, there is too much, let me sum up.

Class Fantasy
    As is customary with each expansion, classes have gone through significant changes. The focus for Legion was on refining Class Fantasy: giving each class defined strengths and weaknesses, and moving away from the homogeonized jacks-of-all-trades they'd become. You can read more about Blizzard's philosophy on each class here at their class preview page. You also get a free boost to level 100 with purchase of Legion, and the opportunity to do a trial run with a new class before locking in your choice for that boost.

Order Halls
    Garrisons are dead! Long live Order Halls! Seriously, though each class gets it's own Order Hall complete with a class quest chain that awards a set of armor at max level with a unique look for each class. Order halls also give follower missions (similar to Garrisons) and are generally really awesome looking with tons of followers walking around in teir gear, etc. Full Wowhead guide here.

Artifact Weapons
    Each spec has it's own unique Artifact Weapon, which you'll be using exclusively here on out. There are no weapon drops in Legion, instead there are relics which work like gem slots and will increase the ilevel of your weapon. There are no new talents or abilities given to each class in Legion, instead character progression is gated behind powering up your artifact (through the aptly named Artifact Power consumables) to add new abilities and passive bonuses. All AP is gained via using consumable items, so you can totally queue and play as a tank but put all your AP into your DPS spec instead. Additionally, after reaching 110 you can start researching Artifact Knowledge which increases the amount of AP you gain from each consumable earned afterwards. AK research has a catch-up mechanic, so even if you're just starting now you won't be permanently behind.

Warforging & Titanforging
    All loot drops from max level content; World Quests, dungeons, raids, pvp chests, etc, have the chance to proc additional ilevels in sets of 5 up to the current maximum ilevel of 895. Each item also has a chance to proc the tertiary stats (leach, speed, avoidance, and indestructible) and/or a socket. So you potentially could get a Titanforged ilevel 895 helm with leach and a socket from your very first world quest. You would then also immediately need to buy a ticket to Vegas and put it all on red.

World Quests
    Across the map you'll see quest icons. Going to the specified area will generate a quick audio intro to the quest and automatically add it to your quest log. Finishing the objectives will automatically complete the quest, and leaving the area will also remove it from your log. I'm not going to lie to you; these are reskinned dailies with better rewards, but we don't care.

Legendaries
    There are currently 160 new legendaries for legion. They are divided up among class and spec with a few shared by role and 2 universal ones. You can get Legendaries from almost any activity at any level in legion (yes, you could get one at 98 from your very first dungeon run). They are currently ilevel 895, and will continue to scale throughout the expansion, as well as provide some crazy overpowered effects for your class/spec. Expect to never get one yourself, unless it drops for you on an alt you don't really mean to play.

Dungeons
    There are four difficulties for dungeons this time around. Additionally, why leveling dungeons scale to your individual level; so a level 108 tank could be healed by a level 101 healer and a level 100 DPS could (and probably will) pull more weight than a level 110. Normal loot drops scale with level and cap at 805. Heroic dungeons drop ilevel 825 items, and require a min ilevel of 810 to queue for (but you can form a group yourself and walk into any heroic naked if you want). Mythic dungeons can only be completed once each week and drop 840 gear and can't be queued for. You will have to put together a group the old fashioned way, but there are lots of resources for doing so. The in client group finder tool is a good way to start, as is joining our discord server. Realize that the ease/difficulty of finding groups is 80% of what we argue about in this thread; join in!

Finally there are Mythic+ dungeons which require a bit of explaining. After completing your first Mythic dungeon, you'll get a Mythic Keystone which will be attuned for a specific dungeon. Putting the Keystone into the Font of Power at the start of the appropriate dungeon will start a timed run of that dungeon. Beating that time will level up your keystone allowing you to take on increasingly challenging dungeon content. At Mythic 4+ your keystone will gain an affix like "Teeming" which will increase the difficulty even more by adding more mobs or other effects to the trash. This provides small group friendly end-game content as the rewards scale with the difficulty. Unlike regular Mythics, there is no lockout on Mythic+ dungeons.

Raiding
    Raiding also has four difficulties, and each has it's own lockout meaning you could masochistically run the Emerald Nightmare 4 times in the same week! Looking For Raid can be queued for, and has reduced difficulty and fewer mechanics allowing it to be completed by unwashed uncoordinated masses and drops 835 loot. Normal (850) and Heroic (865) difficulties require preformed raids (so, you know, get social), but can be run by and scale to group sizes between 10 & 30 people which gives groups some great flexibility. Mythic raiding requires exactly 20 players who are all on the same battlegroup, and is the only content restricted in this way. Mythic drops 880 gear that is permanently stained with salt.

PvP
    PvP has seen the most changes this expac. Abilities now have pvp modifiers, usually downtuning, meaning your awesome 1.4 mil Justicar's Vengeance crits in pve will 'only' hit for 936k in pvp. Additionally any instanced pvp area (battlegrounds, arena) will apply a stat template to your character and ignore all gear (except for traits from your Artifact Weapon). Raising your average ilevel above 800 will give you a small bonus to your template, but generally limited to single digit percentage points which means that entering PvP is easier than ever. There is still PvP gear, but realize that it's pretty much just a visual thing now. Honor points are no longer a currency: instead you have Prestige levels which are pretty much an experience bar that goes to level 50. Along the way at each honor level you'll get nice rewards and unlock your PvP talent tree skills. Getting to Honor Level 50 let's you trade it all in for a prestige rank, netting you some cool titles and mounts and starting the honor grind all over again. Once 7.1 hits you won't lose out on your pvp talent unlocks, but until then...

Do I have to buy all the previous expansions?
    No you don't! All previous expansions through Warlords of Draenor have been rolled into the base game. You just need to purchase a copy of Legion to access the current content, and doing so gives you a free character boost to level 100 to get you right into the thick of things.

I really like theorycrafting, where can I go to talk with other theorycrafters?
    *work in progress

italianranma on
    飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Would it make sense to have a spreadsheet of who is in what factions/server? We can't do mythics but we can do other things together.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    We can't do mythics

Yes, we can. It's only mythic raids that are realm-locked.

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    I keep forgetting that.

I like the idea of having that available, but the Discord will always be the best place to start since it's a list of who is online and can form the group in real time.

• MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    I finally got the Owlcat appearance on my Druid!

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Controversial statement:

I actually kind of want them to nerf or delete Surrender to Madness, and retune Shadow so it doesn't need it.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • EnclaveofGnomesEnclaveofGnomes Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Controversial statement:

I actually kind of want them to nerf or delete Surrender to Madness, and retune Shadow so it doesn't need it.

It shouldn't be controversial to want your class balanced around more then a single talent and the necessity to have ridiculous ramp up before you can actually start dpsing.

EnclaveofGnomes on
  • LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Controversial statement:

The nature of having a talent that powerful is that the class has to be balanced around taking it. I totally get wanting a completely different talent that makes the other talents in the tier actually competitive instead of "take this when the fight mechanics won't let you use StM"

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    It probably sounded like a good idea at the design stage. With a risk vs reward dynamic. But surender to madness needs to be looked at. But other classes don't have a "make a mistake and you are out of the fight" mechanic to their talents.

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    They should make it a baseline ability.

Mc zany wrote: »
    It probably sounded like a good idea at the design stage. With a risk vs reward dynamic. But surender to madness needs to be looked at. But other classes don't have a "make a mistake and you are out of the fight" mechanic to their talents.

The problem with a talent like that is that either it's super strong and everyone has to take it and just hope the downside doesn't come up

Or it's super weak and nobody ever uses it.

• MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »

The problem with a talent like that is that either it's super strong and everyone has to take it and just hope the downside doesn't come up

Actually the ramp up time should make this the perfect talent to do just that. They would just need to actually balance the numbers out.

Ideally rune of power is/was the strongest mage talent on that tier, but not everyone took it since some preferred the ease of flow or the burst of images.

edited October 2016
    Morkath wrote: »

Actually the ramp up time should make this the perfect talent to do just that. They would just need to actually balance the numbers out.

Ideally rune of power is/was the strongest mage talent on that tier, but not everyone took it since some preferred the ease of flow or the burst of images.

Yeah, no, everyone took rune of power. The only people who didn't were people in guilds where maximising your DPS was not expected. "I prefer the ease of incanter's flow" was not an acceptable answer when your raid leader asks why you're playing a suboptimal talent spec on an enrage-sensitive fight. If you couldn't play Rune of Power to be better than Incanter's Flow, then you were supposed to figure out how to play Rune better, not fallback to incanter's flow and accept subpar.

Dhalphir on
  • EnclaveofGnomesEnclaveofGnomes Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Finally got the unholy death knight hidden skin, which is artifact knowledge 6 and eventually a unique mob will spawn from your army of the dead and/or apocalypse use. Once it dies it'll drop a journal, you don't need to read it but it sends you to ice crown citadel where you need to beat prof putricide and use a trap door in his room.

I should add I got the unique ghoul while in the proving grounds...so at least right now it can be farmed there.

EnclaveofGnomes on
  • Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    edited October 2016

Yeah, no, everyone took rune of power. The only people who didn't were people in guilds where maximising your DPS was not expected. "I prefer the ease of incanter's flow" was not an acceptable answer when your raid leader asks why you're playing a suboptimal talent spec on an enrage-sensitive fight. If you couldn't play Rune of Power to be better than Incanter's Flow, then you were supposed to figure out how to play Rune better, not fallback to incanter's flow and accept subpar.

Not everyone raids that way man, seriously.

There are LOTS of guilds that let you do what you want. Other than the top progression guilds, most of the time you are taking someone whos performance with the best spec available is much worse than someone who is good taking a slight dps loss talent. In other words, unless you have a guild who can field a full raid FULL of top performers your success in raids will not be hinging on a mage taking a talent that has a high skill cap for a small overall gain.

Also with regards to StM, I can think of two direction to take that. One would be basically removing the playstyle and in its place a solution for the "ramp up time" issue. Make it a buff that lets you get like, 50% of the max void form bonus off the bat but only once per fight. That would allow Shadow to function on trash though it might also be a required talent. The other would just be replacing the "you die" failure state with preventing you from entering voidform for the rest of the fight. This would still be a huge loss but wouldn't make you completely leave the fight if you fail. It wouldn't even change when the talent was used, it would just mean if you timed its used 10 or so seconds off of the end of the fight, you just have to deal with no more void form for a short time. OF course that doesn't solve the must take part of it, but thats a whole different issue with the other talent options.

Kai_San on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Did some normal mode raiding this weekend. Two fucking hours with like 5 attempts on Xavius with no finishes left me so pissed off late saturday early sunday, thank god in this world got into a real group on sunday and got him down, so now I've finished the rank one of the broken islands flight chain. Thanks for that last elite area quest you not night elf bastards...

Ursoc seemed to be the one boss no one could fucking understand when I joined normals. Like it seemed pretty easy to me as far as mechanic, but for some reason one group I was in a tank kept getting one shot which must have meant he got that charge debuff some how? I dunno. Currently 848 in gear level with like 24 points in my artifact. No legendary items because the loot luck is only on mounts for me.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Maybe the tanks weren't taunting off each other? Ursoc will throw some tank-specific debuffs on them as well.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • antheremantherem Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Did some normal mode raiding this weekend. Two fucking hours with like 5 attempts on Xavius with no finishes left me so pissed off late saturday early sunday, thank god in this world got into a real group on sunday and got him down, so now I've finished the rank one of the broken islands flight chain. Thanks for that last elite area quest you not night elf bastards...

Ursoc seemed to be the one boss no one could fucking understand when I joined normals. Like it seemed pretty easy to me as far as mechanic, but for some reason one group I was in a tank kept getting one shot which must have meant he got that charge debuff some how? I dunno. Currently 848 in gear level with like 24 points in my artifact. No legendary items because the loot luck is only on mounts for me.

There's also a relatively complicated tank swap - he has two different tank debuffs and if a tank gets both they die. But they could also be standing in charge, yeah.

antherem wrote: »

There's also a relatively complicated tank swap - he has two different tank debuffs and if a tank gets both they die. But they could also be standing in charge, yeah.

I think it was the tank swapping. One of the tanks was a guild leader but they kept getting fucked up and then like blaming the healers and literally one would go from alive to dead. I dunno it wasn't my guild thank god.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Also I got kicked from my first mythic. It was a black rook hold and we kept wiping on the second boss there which I've never had an issue with. All the dps kept dying and despite popping cool downs and the like I could not keep them alive, so the leader kicked me, but I think he did me a favor. It was my worst mythic by far.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    I did ursoc yesterday in a PuG. One of the tank was in the organizing guild and the other tank was just some guy they picked up. Though they had voice chat on, it was pretty quiet for the most part. I think they just had each other on focus and just taunted at the right time after seeing the debuffs

http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
    So what is the optimum number of people for a pug normal raid? It seemed the raids that had more people tended to do better, but I do know that increases boss HP as well.

And I'm super glad that blizzard either changed or fixed the garrison ability for Silver Hand. Now it comes up every 18 hours and thats a way better cooldown, I use it to clear PVP objectives/annoying normals.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    You know, it's funny, but when thinking about S2M, it feels weird that Power Infusion is literally right there. It does basically the same thing, but doesn't involve blowing yourself up.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Also I got kicked from my first mythic. It was a black rook hold and we kept wiping on the second boss there which I've never had an issue with. All the dps kept dying and despite popping cool downs and the like I could not keep them alive, so the leader kicked me, but I think he did me a favor. It was my worst mythic by far.

the bosses eye beam hurts quite a bit. If they were standing in it, there's really nothing the healer can do

Javen wrote: »

the bosses eye beam hurts quite a bit. If they were standing in it, there's really nothing the healer can do

It wasn't even that phase, it was the phase before it. Like I dunno it was weird they kept getting killed by things. But again did me a favor because its not like the "don't stand in shit" gets easier from that boss on.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    Did they stack up for the glaive throw? It hits 1 person, but will jump to nearby people and give everyone involved the dot, which lasts a long time and does a bunch of damage.

• SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    I just quit out of tanking HC Ursoc because of the debuff rotation.

There must be different guides out there giving different rotating advice because I just keep being confused.

I realize the basics are that you should only have 1 debuff up and never combo, but it predicts that stacks should run off at 2 and we went to 4 or 5 on the overwhelm.

I'll try later with a tank with experience.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • RendRend Registered User regular
    My guess is that if the charge target runs far enough away, the charge takes longer and thus the stacks fall off during the charge. But that could be inaccurate.

Did they stack up for the glaive throw? It hits 1 person, but will jump to nearby people and give everyone involved the dot, which lasts a long time and does a bunch of damage.

That must have been it. Because again it seemed like they'd just get pasted and it was an all melee dps group.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Yeah a glaive throw then the fel rush will just kill a whole group if it hits too many people. Brh and vault are just unforgiving to people who cant do mechanics, which is what the last 2+ expansions have trained people to ignore.

• crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »

There must be different guides out there giving different rotating advice because I just keep being confused.

I realize the basics are that you should only have 1 debuff up and never combo, but it predicts that stacks should run off at 2 and we went to 4 or 5 on the overwhelm.

This is the way it works for us:

I start off tanking.
    I take 1 Overwhelm.
    During Rend Flesh cast, tank #2 taunts.
    At the end of the cast, I taunt back.
    I take Overwhelm 2.
    Tank #2 can now taunt at any time, because Rend Flesh will fall off before Overwhelm hits next. However! We wait for Rend Flesh to hit about 2 seconds remaining before tank 2 taunts because RF+melee attacks is a lot of damage for a single person. Note that Ursoc charges right around this time. Tank #2 needs to make sure he taunts either before the charge or as he is running out.

Tank #2 will now take the first Overwhelm.
    I taunt during the Rend cast, T2 taunts when it completes.
    I taunt back when Rend hits ~2s (this one lines up with when we're moving him immediately after a roar).
    I start taking Overwhelms and we start the pattern again from the top.

• KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Yea, removal off cc and slowing mechanics for trash and boss fights was a huge mistake

Simple things like fucking focus fire is beyond some people. Like even marking things with a skull seems to confuse people.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular

This is the way it works for us:

I start off tanking.
    I take 1 Overwhelm.
    During Rend Flesh cast, tank #2 taunts.
    At the end of the cast, I taunt back.
    I take Overwhelm 2.
    Tank #2 can now taunt at any time, because Rend Flesh will fall off before Overwhelm hits next. However! We wait for Rend Flesh to hit about 2 seconds remaining before tank 2 taunts because RF+melee attacks is a lot of damage for a single person. Note that Ursoc charges right around this time. Tank #2 needs to make sure he taunts either before the charge or as he is running out.

Tank #2 will now take the first Overwhelm.
    I taunt during the Rend cast, T2 taunts when it completes.
    I taunt back when Rend hits ~2s (this one lines up with when we're moving him immediately after a roar).
    I start taking Overwhelms and we start the pattern again from the top.

Yeah that's how we go about it too, though I actually had to turn off DBM trumpets since watching the debuff applications is just way easier.

• MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Simple things like fucking focus fire is beyond some people. Like even marking things with a skull seems to confuse people.

Other MMO's let you just target the tank to attack whatever he is attacking. Which is a nice touch.

I know you can do it via macro's on each skill, but thats way too much effort.

You mostly taunt around the bleed debuff. If you don't have it, taunt the boss when it's about to happen. If you do have it, taunt as soon as it falls off.
    If you follow those two rules the overwhelm will take care of itself.

Other MMO's let you just target the tank to attack whatever he is attacking. Which is a nice touch.

I know you can do it via macro's on each skill, but thats way too much effort.

Eh unless tanking has changed from when I did it, that's not exactly what I would want as a tank, because back in the day of BC and wrath, the tank would be tab targetting and hitting all targets to establish threat.

pleasepaypreacher.net
This discussion has been closed.