As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Let's all fight alien invaders (X-Com: UFO Defense Video LP)

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Sign me up as a scientist. I want to research corpses.

Burnage on
  • YerMumYerMum Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I wish to sign up as a scientist, we should be researching pewpew lazors until such a time as we wrest some alien alloys from their cold grey dead hands.

YerMum on
    Rugged individualist
    Destiny Profile : http://www.bungie.net/en/Profile/254/7028016
  • BremenBremen Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    We did the first update, and I've been trying to get it to work. I have an AVI of the battle with sound effects, and I have an mp3 of our commentary. Merging them together seems like it would be easy, but all my video and audio editing programs don't even seem to have the option. Can anyone of a technical mindset offer advice? I'm trying to atleast get it uploaded before I turn in.

Bremen on
  • TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    All I need to know is where they are.

Sign me up.

PS - We need High Explosives. Aliens say the shrapnel from normal grenades "tickles."

Tiemler on
  • SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Tiemler wrote: »
    PS - We need High Explosives. Aliens say the shrapnel from normal grenades "tickles."
    Indeed, fucking Mutons..

Silpheed on
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I too will devote myself to the defense of our alien infested world as a redshirt.

Well, once the rest of your poor fucks are dead and there's room anyways.

Kelor on
  • ValkunValkun Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    You might ask Ohtsam of the Donkey Kong LP. He seems to know a thing or two about merging commentary with game sounds.

Valkun on
  • TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Kelor wrote: »
    I too will devote myself to the defense of our alien infested world as a redshirt.

Well, after the first night terror raid anyways.

Tiemler on
  • VelmeranVelmeran Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I want to become a crysalis, but I promise to only eat one teammate a mission, honest!

Velmeran on
    Vechloran.png
    edited November 2007
    Velmeran wrote: »
    I want to become a crysalis, but I promise to only eat one teammate a mission, honest!
    That's what they all say in the beginning but as soon as they had one they'll want more and before you know it they have gone all "nom nom nom" and suddenly everyone is pasty faced and drools. So do the sensible thing and spay or neuter your Chryssalid in good time.

Silpheed on
  • VelmeranVelmeran Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Man, if I had an editor that allowed me to have an entire team of crysalis for a terror mission, that would be awesome...

I can just imagine the floaters and reapers going "HOLY SHIT! ITS A CRYSALIS, GET IN THE UFO!"

Velmeran on
    Vechloran.png
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Soldier me up please!

Has the base start been set then? If not I suggest Jamaica. One should be able to relax adequately between horrifying alien incidents.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • CohsaeCohsae Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I will totally be a soldier. As long as I'm not the first sap to walk out of the transport. Although if my past experience with X-Com has taught me anything it's that my death will be swift.

Cohsae on
    sig.gif
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Soldier me up please!

I'll be impressed if i make it past the 1st terror mission

Karl on
  • JamesDMJamesDM Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Soldier me up please!

Has the base start been set then? If not I suggest Jamaica. One should be able to relax adequately between horrifying alien incidents.

Yeah, we chose swiss alps. Seemed like a pretty good place, covers a lot of Europe and the surrounding area.

JamesDM on
    If you have any complaints about this poster then feel free to: Иди на хуй, Сучьи :D

Steam, PSN, XBL, Xfire and everything else JamesDM
  • The_LightbringerThe_Lightbringer Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Private Lightbringer of the 17th Cannon Fodder Regiment, The 5th Door Chargers Company reporting for duty SIR!

Oh and even though I'll surely be outvoted on this but I think our secret base should be called Majestic purely for the atmosphere and mystique. Wang Comm and Arcadia are pretty good second choices from me though.

Swiss Alps is a good area to start off in, lots of rich european countries nearby. A North American base and a South East Asian base are usually where people build their next bases.

And as a advice from a newb in xcomm, don't be afraid to glass enemy sites when situations get too hairy or we dont have the personnel or equipment to deal with it, they'll always be more aliens, we don't have that kind of attrition luxury.

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
  • JerikTelorianJerikTelorian Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Private Lightbringer of the 17th Cannon Fodder Regiment, The 5th Door Chargers Company reporting for duty SIR!

Oh and even though I'll surely be outvoted on this but I think our secret base should be called Majestic purely for the atmosphere and mystique. Wang Comm and Arcadia are pretty good second choices from me though.

2nded. I vote swiss alps for starting area, too.

JerikTelorian on
    SteamID -- JerikTelorian
    XBL: LiquidSnake2061
    Shade wrote: »
    Anyone notice how some things (mattresses and the copy machines in Highrise) are totally impenetrable? A steel wall, yeah that makes sense, but bullets should obliterate copy machines.

I don't know about you, but I always buy a bullet proof printer. Its a lot more expensive, but I think the advantages are apparent.
  • ZampanoZampano Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I know absolutely nothing about this game. And yet I am entranced by the prospect of repelling an alien menace.

Therefore, Recruit Zampano is reporting to the frontlines for cannon fodder duty.

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Richter N. Pil, Ph.D. (Born: June 3, 1977)
    Gunologist and Super Scientist

Krupp, S., Heckler, J., Koch, M., and Pil, R.N. 1998. Explosive Lasers: Lasers that also explode. Firearms Journal 22:19.

Krupp, S., Heckler, J., Knight, D., and Pil, R.N. 1997. Lazer Explosives: Explosives that also shoot lasers Grenade 98:7.

Villiers, R., Morgana, A.I., Deus, A.I., and Pil, R.N. 1997. KABZZT: Practices in combining lasers and explosives. Firearms Journal 21:17.

Bio:

Dr. Richter Nathan Pil is what you'd call a reniassance-man, if the reniassance was less about the return of classical thought and more about guns, lasers, and explosions. At a young age, Pil had intended to join the Army. Or the Marines. Or somesuch field where he could really get behind a squad assault weapon, or maybe a howitzer. Unfortunately, he couldn't wait until then, and after making a functioning grenade at the age of nine, he proceeded to do what most children would do with a grenade: blow his legs off. This made it extremely unlikely that he'd ever achieve his goals of joining the military and so, instead, focused on his passion: blowing things up.

Fastforward fifteen years, and Dr. Richter Nathan Pil is fast on track to becoming the foremost expert on the most technical side of slaughter. When the alien threat became known and their raw destructive power obvious, the first thought on Dr. Pil's mind was this: "How do I get in on this action?" Fortunately, he made some calls, knew the right people, and managed to get himself into the X-com program. He hopes to be the first to discover a technique for truly explosive lasers, and alien technology seems the way to do it.

Pil is a Scientist. For now, he wants his team to research the most badass gun they can put together with what they have lying around: Lasers and Laser Rifles. After that, we'll see what we have to work with.

piL on
    edited November 2007
    The first post has been updated with a roster. Some spoilers to the first update, but nothing major.

I managed to get the video working (left it transcoding overnight. How can a 20 minute 320x200 avi be 15.9 gigabytes? It's uploading to Google now, and as soon as they have it up I'll post the update.

Bremen on
    edited November 2007
    As a scientist I heartily endorse researching laser weapons. To hell with medkits and motion sensors, offense all the way.

Burnage on
  • piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Burnage wrote: »
    As a scientist I heartily endorse researching laser weapons. To hell with medkits and motion sensors, offense all the way.

Dr. Richter Pil is going to very much enjoy his employment here.

piL on
    edited November 2007
    piL wrote: »

Dr. Richter Pil is going to very much enjoy his employment here.

X-Com is proud to offer high levels of job satisfaction.

Burnage on
  • JerikTelorianJerikTelorian Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Gah! I hope my death was valiant! Did I get a kill before I went down?
    If you want, feel free to recycle me later on!

JerikTelorian on
    SteamID -- JerikTelorian
    XBL: LiquidSnake2061
    Shade wrote: »
    Anyone notice how some things (mattresses and the copy machines in Highrise) are totally impenetrable? A steel wall, yeah that makes sense, but bullets should obliterate copy machines.

I don't know about you, but I always buy a bullet proof printer. Its a lot more expensive, but I think the advantages are apparent.
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    As a SOLDIER I heartily endorse researching laser weapons. To hell with medkits and motion sensors, offense all the way.

Because fuck, i'm going to need all the help i can get.

Karl on
    edited November 2007
    X-Com's operations begin in confusion. Who are the aliens? What are they here for? Do they die when you shoot them?

The first order of business is obtaining weapons to fight with. To deal with the UFOs in the air, two interceptors are armed with Avalanche missile launchers, the most advanced long range missiles in the world. A group of brave soldiers are armed with assault rifles, along with a rocket launcher and autocannon in case the aliens prove impervious to bullets. The best scientists from around the world are brought in, and Dr. Lowlylowlycook announces he intends to develop lasers to help give X-com troops the ability to fight aliens on their own level.

Then it's time to wait.

Late at night, X-Com analysts find a landed UFO in southern England. But the leadership is cautious. The ufo is undamaged, and sending in green troops at night in unfamiliar territory would be an invitation to disaster. Instead, they send one of the interceptors to try and blast the UFO the moment it takes off. However, showing unbelievable acceleration and speed, the UFO is easily able to escape before the interceptor can even fire its missiles.

Things look grim for X-Com. Can earth technology even hope to deal with the alien menace? Luckily, there is some good news. Dr. Lowlylowlycook develops a working laser pistol prototype, and begins work on a larger, more powerful rifle design.

lpistol.jpg
    lrifler.jpg

Then a UFO is detected flying over Europe. an interceptor is launched, and this time manages to catch the UFO as it surveys western Spain for a landing site. A pair of avalanche missiles cripples it, then a second pair send it crashing to the ground.

dogfight.jpg

A crashed UFO isn't going anywhere, so we wait a few hours for daylight and send in the troops. 10 soldiers and a tank against an unknown alien foe.

Google video
    Rapidshare

The quality came out pretty bad... I'll have to experiment with formatting. Also, I apologize for the echo and sound problems. I have no idea how my mic can echo so much when I'm using headphones.

Decisions!

First of all, we can research the artifacts we recovered from the crash site. I plan on hiring 20 more scientists (all but wiping out our monthly budget) so Burnage, YerMum; give me some choices (including a second choice to research when the first finishes).

research.jpg
    research2.jpg

VeritasVR can currently only make laser pistols, or he can wait till any of the research finishes and start making that.

Also, give comments. Should I record the strategy portion as well as tactical? I didn't this time because it's pretty boring, looking at soldier stats and buying equipment, etc.

Bremen on
    edited November 2007
    Now that we've got some alien tech, we should go straight for the jugular and research the Heavy Plasma, followed by the HP Clip.

Burnage on
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Where am I? D:

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Private Newbie McRedshirt reporting for duty!

When newbie inevitably bites the dust, he can be replaced with Mr Ray, followed by Mrs Ray. Give newbie the stun prod, because real men run up to aliens and smack them in the face with oversized tasers. Mr and Mrs Ray have always been partial to lasers.

Oh yeah, i'd also like to sign up to be a scientist if possible. Explosive lasers all the way. We could go with heavy plasma next for reasearch... but that would pretty much tie up all our scientists for at least a month before we saw any results. My vote goes for lasers until we get hold of alien alloys.

Mr Ray on
  • ValkunValkun Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm pretty sure you can open doors by standing next to them and right clicking? I know I was able to do it the last time everyone was playing X-Com.

Valkun on
    edited November 2007
    Valkun wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure you can open doors by standing next to them and right clicking? I know I was able to do it the last time everyone was playing X-Com.
    Correct, just remember that it can still provoke a free attack from any alien standing behind that door though.

Silpheed on
  • EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Id like to throw my name out there as well (soldier)never played xcom so im very interested in this LP

EspantaPajaro on
    edited November 2007
    Perhaps you can explain the benefits of each research goal, so that folks who've never played X-Com have an idea of what our prospects are? Some are fairly obvious (Plasma Weapons), but what happens through the research of the Sectoid Corpse?

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
    edited November 2007
    Zampano wrote: »
    Perhaps you can explain the benefits of each research goal, so that folks who've never played X-Com have an idea of what our prospects are? Some are fairly obvious (Plasma Weapons), but what happens through the research of the Sectoid Corpse?
    Have a look at the Research link in this Wiki. http://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

Silpheed on
    edited November 2007

Actually, I was thinking that would make it more realistic. A researcher might have a general idea that alien alloys might be used in constructing stuff, or navigation would let you make your own spacecraft, but he wouldn't know exactly what will get you x benefits.

Once you know the tree, there really is one "best" path. But given the number of red shirts we have to throw into the grinder, it might be fun if things go differently and we end up facing bullet and grenade-proof aliens with only high explosive and rockets capable of downing them.

Bremen on
    edited November 2007
    That's a good point.

A precursory scan of the Research Wiki entry does reveal something intriguing: Freaking Powered Armors. Clearly, the greatest solution to the alien menace is the goddamn Mobile Infantry.

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
    edited November 2007
    That's a good point.

A precursory scan of the Research Wiki entry does reveal something intriguing: Freaking Powered Armors. Clearly, the greatest solution to the alien menace is the goddamn Mobile Infantry.

There's something even more awesome further down the tree ;)

On the other hand, powered armor is expensive. I usually only give it to sergeants and above.

One suit of powered armor is worth more then a transport full of rookies. Heck, depending on
    how much trouble you're having obtaining elerium
    it might be worth more then the transport itself.

Bremen on
    edited November 2007
    I am, however, only a lowly Redshirt. I'll leave the science up to the science men, with their lasers and brain surgery. Just put something that fires fast and heavy in my arms so I can attain glory, whether its slathered in alien goo or human goo.

Uh-RAH!

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • AchtungBabyAchtungBaby Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Damned Google video gets cut at 25% everytime I try to load the video D:

Can someone make a spoiled resume of what happened in the mission?

AchtungBaby on
    Animal Crossing: 2534-9952-2348 Asgard, Hugo

Pokemon Pearl: 2577-9731-8070

Contact - 0043 9563 6121
  • VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Make sure the engineers are always producing something. Laser weapons in particular can be sold for a nice profit. We get paid by the month, not by our productivity.

If laser pistols can be made, we will make them. They are light enough for our heavy-weapon soldiers to use them as sidearms and do not require any ammo. Laser rounds are powerful enough to destroy almost any metal or ceramic (i.e. brick walls, concrete barriers) and should be made available to at least the officers as soon as possible.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!