As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PC Build Thread] NVIDIA can't stop releasing GPUs like Oprah can't stop releasing bees

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Man, the lack of HDR capable gaming monitor announcements is kind of....lame....

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Man, the lack of HDR capable gaming monitor announcements is kind of....lame....

not really much point selling a HDR monitor until games start supporting it.

only UHD bluray and a couple other sources of video media even use it.

• Options
    PriestPriest Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    @Soggybiscuit

Try this utility. It is pretty accurate at predicting your power usage once you put in all your parts.

Priest on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »

not really much point selling a HDR monitor until games start supporting it.

only UHD bluray and a couple other sources of video media even use it.

Shadow Warrior 2 uses it!

• Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    Priest wrote: »
    @Soggybiscuit

Try this utility. It is pretty accurate at predicting your power usage once you put in all your parts.
    Recommend Power Supply: 926W

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Ha! My recommendation is ~450 and I'm sitting on an 850. I went a bit too far.

But I was planning for a different build than what I ended up with. I'm sure I'll do better next time.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I'm working on an upgrade right now, the wattage calculator calls for 373w and I have a 600w PSU.

It's good to have some overhead for efficiency reasons. Better to be higher than lower, at any rate.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    The 780 Ti is a uniquely power hungry card. Even on a relatively casual overclock they can draw 300+ each from what I've read.

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Ugh. Having a really hard time finding a G-Sync monitor to pair with a 1070.

The ASUS PG278Q (27" 1440p 165Hz) is plagued with QC issues, and I'm not going to deal with Asus' shitty customer service when a $700 product is in question.
    The Acer 27" options are even more expensive and unnecessarily flashy without better performance.
    The Dell S2716DG is decent, but comes with severe out-of-the-box calibration issues, it seems.

There seem to be few stable 24" 1080p options either, with a well-respected monitor guru over at OCN absolutely shredding the Asus and Dell options.

While there are lots of non G-Sync monitors, it doesn't seem worth upgrading to 144Hz without it, as there will be noticeable problems on downscaled games (of which I play many).

Just a heads up, I have the S2716DG, and the "extensive calibration" took me about 45 seconds to fix. Now it looks great. The only real drawback is it's a TN panel (though a very nice one) and if you prefer IPS then that may be a dealbreaker. Personally, I can't tell the difference unless they're side by side and TN doesn't bother me.

I definitely recommend the Dell, especially if you can find it on sale like I did.

• Options
    Terrendos wrote: »

The ASUS PG278Q (27" 1440p 165Hz) is plagued with QC issues, and I'm not going to deal with Asus' shitty customer service when a $700 product is in question.
    The Acer 27" options are even more expensive and unnecessarily flashy without better performance.
    The Dell S2716DG is decent, but comes with severe out-of-the-box calibration issues, it seems.

There seem to be few stable 24" 1080p options either, with a well-respected monitor guru over at OCN absolutely shredding the Asus and Dell options.

While there are lots of non G-Sync monitors, it doesn't seem worth upgrading to 144Hz without it, as there will be noticeable problems on downscaled games (of which I play many).

Just a heads up, I have the S2716DG, and the "extensive calibration" took me about 45 seconds to fix. Now it looks great. The only real drawback is it's a TN panel (though a very nice one) and if you prefer IPS then that may be a dealbreaker. Personally, I can't tell the difference unless they're side by side and TN doesn't bother me.

I definitely recommend the Dell, especially if you can find it on sale like I did.

Ya, IPS isn't important enough to me to be worth the $150 premium on an already very expensive monitor. What do you consider a sale on the Dell? It's up for $599 right now, and CamelCamelCamel has the floor in the low 500's, but it's been near 600 for two months. I can't say as I need the monitor *so* soon that I can't wait to save $100.

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »

Ya, IPS isn't important enough to me to be worth the $150 premium on an already very expensive monitor. What do you consider a sale on the Dell? It's up for $599 right now, and CamelCamelCamel has the floor in the low 500's, but it's been near 600 for two months. I can't say as I need the monitor *so* soon that I can't wait to save $100.

I got mine for $450 during the Best Buy 50th anniversary sale a couple months back. I expect it might drop to that amount again come Black Friday/Cyber Monday.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Plus, you can typically find Dell coupons if you do some digging. I don't expect you to save more than maybe $50-$75 unless you wait for some sort of super coupon to be released closer to the Holidays.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    I just grabbed a floor model Dell S2716DG from Microcenter for $400, but that was monitor and power cord only (no box, no manual, etc.) Microcenter has discontinued the line, and Newegg is now showing it as out of stock. I don't know if that's an indication that it's not going to be available going forward. Amazon still has it for $640.

Speaking of which, anyone got any good websites for how to calibrate? The colors look a bit wonky to me on this thing so far, but tinkering with the red blue and green sliders hasn't really addressed it. I'm a display calibration novice, and would love a primer if there's one out there.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    My monitor developed a bright spot on the panel even though I've treated the thing like the prettiest princess, and I'm the type of motherfucker that gets distracted enough by that sort of thing to replace an entire monitor, so if this warranty inquiry doesn't pan out, I'd be pretty interested in what's hot in the monitor scene too.

• Options
    ConstrictorConstrictor The Dork Knight SuburbialandRegistered User regular
    Not sure, but I think the latest Nvidia drivers broke Doom. Couldn't load the game without it crashing to desktop, even after I removed my modest overclock.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    I just grabbed a floor model Dell S2716DG from Microcenter for $400, but that was monitor and power cord only (no box, no manual, etc.) Microcenter has discontinued the line, and Newegg is now showing it as out of stock. I don't know if that's an indication that it's not going to be available going forward. Amazon still has it for $640.

Speaking of which, anyone got any good websites for how to calibrate? The colors look a bit wonky to me on this thing so far, but tinkering with the red blue and green sliders hasn't really addressed it. I'm a display calibration novice, and would love a primer if there's one out there.

TFTCentral has a database of profiles and here's the one for your Dell http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/icc_profiles/dell_s2716dg.icc

I got the one I use for my Acer XB271HU from Overclock.net since TFTCentral doesn't look to have one for my monitor. FWIW I was worried that the Acer would look too 'Gamer Bro' for me, but it's far more subdued in person that I was expecting. I still prefer the look of the Asus PG279Q but there was still too much conflicting opinions on the quality control of the panels that I wasn't willing to take the chance on one. The Acer also happened to be $100 less than the Asus when I bought all my stuff mid-September which made my decision even easier.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Thanks, @Cormac. I had actually found and installed that in my own fumblings about the Internet, but it didn't seem to do anything. But you bringing it up made me realized in a previous troubleshooting effort that I'd forced the monitor to use the Nvidia control panel settings. Once I turned that off, things got much less red - thanks!

EDIT: I've got ghosting of text on a non-white background when I scroll. So if it's black text on a light gray background, when I scroll it leaves a white image of the text over the gray. It catches up quickly once I stop scrolling, but if it's something I could fix with a checkbox somewhere that would be lovely.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Just ordered myself a new Fractal Designs case on Friday. This will be my first ever case transplant after doing a build earlier this year.

Any tips or tricks I should consider? Or is it as simple as haul the old guts out and slap em in?

• Options
    Try to keep your heatsink attached, if you can. Otherwise, just move things over. Make sure you take some extra time in the new case to do some cable management.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    The rear Silent Series 140 mm fan in my Fractal Design R4 case is definitely on its way out--the soft groan it gives startup has given way to a very loud (for the fan) grinding that can be stopped by sticking something in the fan's way, then letting it resume, but that seems like a very clear signal its on its way out.

Has anyone ever done a part replacement with Fractal Design before? Replacing it costs $16, which isn't much, but I'm hoping to safe money wherever I can of late (nor is it terribly urgent to replace).

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Synthesis wrote: »
    The rear Silent Series 140 mm fan in my Fractal Design R4 case is definitely on its way out--the soft groan it gives startup has given way to a very loud (for the fan) grinding that can be stopped by sticking something in the fan's way, then letting it resume, but that seems like a very clear signal its on its way out.

Has anyone ever done a part replacement with Fractal Design before? Replacing it costs $16, which isn't much, but I'm hoping to safe money wherever I can of late (nor is it terribly urgent to replace).

Looks like you can get the fan (+ delivery) for $12, assuming you're in the States: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835352007

EDIT - sorry, I didn't answer your question...just tossing out alternatives that are less expensive than $16.

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Does the grinding go away with a tap, or on its own after a while? If so it might just be bearings/lubricant grinding until they warm up a little.

If $12 will solve your problem than that's probably the best option though.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Anyone have any recommendations for high wattage (900+) power supplies?

My PC has started randomly resetting while playing DOOM and I figure its the power supply since it is over 4 years old now and has seen some heavy use in the past.

What kind of beastly machine are you running that you need 900W?

2 x 780Ti, Multiple large fans, AIO watercooler, a few drives, and a 3770k. The motherboard has one of those fancy PCIe splitters, so it draws a few extra watts as well and it requires it's own separate pcie 6 pin to work.

I have the EVGA SuperNOVA 80+ Gold certified 1000W PSU, and it's been a treat. No issues, solid power on all the rails, fully modular, very quiet (at least as compared to the rest of my machine).

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    So after a trip to my local Microcenter today to check out cases, I canceled my order on the Fractal Define S.

I should have known better. Owning a Silverstone Fortress 02 for 6 years has spoiled the shit out of me. It's like case designers everywhere hired a bunch of twits from Nabisco who said "Hey, know what a good case material would be? Soggy Cracker Jack boxes!"

Long story short, holy god is the metal flimsy on the Fractal and Corsair cases. Like, "I can bend this with one hand" flimsy. I was looking for a no-frills case, which the Define S seemed to fit, seeing as it didn't have drive cages, lots of internal room, cable routing grommets, etc, but it sacrificed in a lot of other areas too. The Thermaltakes were no better, the NZXT were worse (basically plastic), so were the Corsairs (lots of internal plastic, no sound damping).

I think if I hadn't owned a FT02 for 6 years I wouldn't be bugged by it, coming from an Antec 900 before that.

Back to the drawing board:

Mid-Tower case, no frills, on the smaller side.
    ATX.
    Focus on good internal airflow.
    Needs to fit 1 SSD, 2 HDD.
    No door! (This is what killed the R5 for me - just opening and closing it I know it's going to start rattling in 18 months)
    Preferably 1 5.25" bay.

Edit: To those of you who are going to say not all doors rattle:

Priest on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Anyone have any recommendations for high wattage (900+) power supplies?

My PC has started randomly resetting while playing DOOM and I figure its the power supply since it is over 4 years old now and has seen some heavy use in the past.

I can't say enough good things about my Seasonic X-860. I see they have a new series out called PRIME that comes with a 10 year warranty, but I don't think they go quite high enough for you. The Platinum 1050w model should outlast your current rig and probably the next two as well.

• Options

Nope, iolo, it's still available. Best Buy's got the Dell S2716DGR for $480 with free shipping.

Now that Cormac's got my colors sorted, this thing is damn good looking. I put it through it's paces a bit with Borderlands 2, Fallout 4, Civ VI and Crysis 2 (so many numbers!). Sharp! :)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Toying with the idea of putting a water cooling block on a 1070. Making an itx case, but this is also somewhat because of making a fun build.

What would be a good standard ass 1070 reference card to buy? I got a tip that EVGA may be having some problems with some of their 1070's, connectors getting too hot.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    if your specific goal is having an overclocked 1070 then buying a reference card can be risky. Factory OC cards are binned for that speed, while a card that can't do better than reference is sold as such.

• Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Honk wrote: »
    Toying with the idea of putting a water cooling block on a 1070. Making an itx case, but this is also somewhat because of making a fun build.

What would be a good standard ass 1070 reference card to buy? I got a tip that EVGA may be having some problems with some of their 1070's, connectors getting too hot.

The EVGA problem appears to be lack of direct connection of the vrm and VRAM to the heatsink. If you water cool it, all the major waterblocks have direct connections so I don't think it'll be an issue.

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    if your specific goal is having an overclocked 1070 then buying a reference card can be risky. Factory OC cards are binned for that speed, while a card that can't do better than reference is sold as such.

I'm a bit out of the loop to be totally honest. I was mostly thinking about picking up something with the reference design fan system since I'll be removing it anyway.

So they do test the cards and sort and sell them after what level they seem to perform at, is that it?

This is among the cheaper priced 1070's in stores around here: https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/GeForce-GTX-1070-AERO-8G-OC.html#hero-overview

It seems to be set at a slightly higher clock rate than the standard ones.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    If price is all your concerned about, I just picked this up for myself for about $346 after the rebate. It also has one of the highest factory overclocks that I've seen. http://slickdeals.net/f/9194079-gigabyte-gtx-1070-gaming-g1-8gb-340-after-rebate-jet-com?src=SiteSearchV2_SearchBarV2Algo1

Simpsonia on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    You guys need to see this channel

It's a pothead dude doing stuff to old computers (nothing sexual), and he's hilariously incompetent.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    man. All of a sudden out of nowhere my computer started hard crashing to shutdown while playing Civ 6. Was working great last week then stopped. Couldn't figure it out, thought it was maybe that bad nvidia driver they released last week. Installed the hotfix driver though and no joy.

Nothing overheating, everything running great, all tests showed a-ok.

Decided to verify steam cache and do some other stuff and then all of a sudden the machine starts freezing in windows and dying.

Clean the machine out, discover a dead giant spider inside my case with a ton of cobwebs everywhere. Do a full dyson vacuum of the whole thing (lots of dust as well). That must have been the problem. Go to boot back up.

Machine won't boot back up. NOOOOOOOOOOOOO, WHAT? WHYYYY

anyways, turns out that a RAM DIMM died just all of a sudden out of nowhere. what the fuck?

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    It appears the spider was the only thing keeping things together.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Was probably the spider removal, but it seems Civ 6 has an issue with Windows Defender, too. But if it's dying outside the game suppose it's spider death.

• Options
    Those webs weren't there to tell you to clean your PC. Now you're screwed.

• Options
    twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular

Nope, iolo, it's still available. Best Buy's got the Dell S2716DGR for $480 with free shipping.

Now that Cormac's got my colors sorted, this thing is damn good looking. I put it through it's paces a bit with Borderlands 2, Fallout 4, Civ VI and Crysis 2 (so many numbers!). Sharp! :)

Grabbed this with in store pickup today and just installed it. It's beautiful! Can't wait to try some games out on it later.

• Options
    Nice, @twmjr! Be sure to grab the ICC profile that Cormac linked last page. It squared my color calibration away in one download. :)

Also there was some talk on Amazon reviews of it having trouble waking up from its deep sleep/powersave mode. Some folks there recommended disabling it.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    man. All of a sudden out of nowhere my computer started hard crashing to shutdown while playing Civ 6. Was working great last week then stopped. Couldn't figure it out, thought it was maybe that bad nvidia driver they released last week. Installed the hotfix driver though and no joy.

Nothing overheating, everything running great, all tests showed a-ok.

Decided to verify steam cache and do some other stuff and then all of a sudden the machine starts freezing in windows and dying.

Clean the machine out, discover a dead giant spider inside my case with a ton of cobwebs everywhere. Do a full dyson vacuum of the whole thing (lots of dust as well). That must have been the problem. Go to boot back up.

Machine won't boot back up. NOOOOOOOOOOOOO, WHAT? WHYYYY

anyways, turns out that a RAM DIMM died just all of a sudden out of nowhere. what the fuck?

Sounds like something that would happen to me.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
This discussion has been closed.