As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Marvel MCU] thread wrapped up tight in some kinda web...

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    the main issue with it was that there's no real urgent reason for matt to go do the stuff that he's doing; it's not like 'whoa the city is being threatened gotta go daredevil,' he and elektra just go look around some building or other

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Maybe if Foggy was a better lawyer he wouldn't need to Matt to save his career AND the city!

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I agree Matt taking Frank's case was dumb.

That basically destroyed the law firm.

However, ninjas and evil shit are still pressing concerns so I wouldn't chalk up the making of a black sky (what were they doing with the blood) as non-urgent, especially if they were willing to assault a hospital to get their blood bags back

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »
    However, ninjas and evil shit are still pressing concerns so I wouldn't chalk up the making of a black sky (what were they doing with the blood) as non-urgent, especially if they were willing to assault a hospital to get their blood bags back

Did Matt have any idea any of that was going on at the time? I just remember he was out messing around with his ex-girlfriend.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    I dunno, I think "sorry, literal ninjas" ranks fairly high on the get out of friend jail free reasons

But I want Cake. So Matt is an asshole.

Look, Matt is a super-hero - not a baker.

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    I dunno, I think "sorry, literal ninjas" ranks fairly high on the get out of friend jail free reasons

Superman could bake me a cake and beat up ninjas.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular

There's a Junior's right in Times Square. All Matt has to do is stop in and pick up the regular medium cheesecake. We're not even asking for the fancy pants one that is the cheesecake in between two layers of devil's food cake.

Thing is, Matt is basically a violence junkie. He likes beating people up, he had a girlfriend who was a junkie herself, and his addiction has cost him his job and relationships. His addiction has harmed him physically, emotionally, and spiritually, which something something Catholic symbolism in there somehow.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »

There's a Junior's right in Times Square. All Matt has to do is stop in and pick up the regular medium cheesecake. We're not even asking for the fancy pants one that is the cheesecake in between two layers of devil's food cake.

Now I want cake.
    Thing is, Matt is basically a violence junkie. He likes beating people up, he had a girlfriend who was a junkie herself, and his addiction has cost him his job and relationships. His addiction has harmed him physically, emotionally, and spiritually, which something something Catholic symbolism in there somehow.

Yes, he is.

• Options
    daveNYC wrote: »

There is one in Florida that was so great. I guess I will have to make a trip there, after I fight some Gator Mutant Ninjas.

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular

But then Lex Luthor would take it, along with 39 others. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    McFodder wrote: »

But then Lex Luthor would take it, along with 39 others. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.

Was that part of a real comic or was that from some cheap kid's learning book that used DC characters to teach children math?

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    From my understanding, both. First there was the original which became the meme.
    qz4rzhv378kv.jpg

And then I think fairly recentlyish (fake edit: 2011, apparently), this entered canon.
    9i72k6f03yqc.jpg

Which is great and also terrible.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    "That's as many as four tens"

Picture of 4 shelves with 9 cakes.

No wonder we all suck at math.

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

Clearly the cakes are not of all equal size and thus we have no idea how many cakes are on the bottom three shelves

• Options
    edited November 2016

If you look at the very top, you can see a small part of one of the cakes that has flown off the cart, which means there are 3 shelves with 10 cakes and only 1 shelf with 9 cakes, and one ruined cake.

forty-when-no-one-was-looking-lex-luthor-took-forty-5120584.png

Grunt's Ghosts on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    You can see there is a cake falling off the back

Luthor is very meticulous with his cake counting, but is a poor delivery man

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    They kinda look like pies to me...

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Christ, that hits hard...

• Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Are those official accounts?

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Are those official accounts?

Yeah that's what the little blue check mark means. They're verified and official.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    From the checkmarks and link names I'm guessing yes.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Not sure if this has already been posted, and it's a small Doctor Strange spoiler (it spoils a character appearance but nothing about the plot), but it's one that might be of interest to Marvel fans in general, so I thought it might fit in this thread:
    It seems that Tina Minoru, mother of Nico Minoru (of Runaways fame), has an appearance in the film. I haven't seen the movie myself yet, but from the still that I've seen, it looks like the Staff of One makes an appearance.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Thirith wrote: »
    Not sure if this has already been posted, and it's a small Doctor Strange spoiler (it spoils a character appearance but nothing about the plot), but it's one that might be of interest to Marvel fans in general, so I thought it might fit in this thread:
    It seems that Tina Minoru, mother of Nico Minoru (of Runaways fame), has an appearance in the film. I haven't seen the movie myself yet, but from the still that I've seen, it looks like the Staff of One makes an appearance.
    And we are getting a Runaways show on Hulu. I wonder if that lady will show up in it. Looking at her IMDB page, Linda Louise Duan, who played Tina Minoru, only has 4 acting credits to her name. And one of those "The Realm Beyond" is a short where she plays a character called "Tina". Not sure if it's the same character or not. I guess it will show up in the Dr. Strange BluRay?

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    I think that cameo was cut from the actual movie.

• Options
    I think that cameo was cut from the actual movie.

Sort of.
    You do see her and the Staff of One but she's never called out as Tina Minoru. I don't think I saw what they called her in the credits either, I was trying to figure out who the Brunette Bad Girl was.

• Options
    NEWS!

So it seems that Zendaya isn't Mary Jane. During an Interview with the Hollywood Reporter she says that her character isn't a romantic interest and that her character is "very dry, awkward, intellectual and because she's so smart, she just feels like she doesn't need to talk to people, like 'My brain is so far ahead of you that you're just not really on my 'level.'" and that she isn't a make-up and looks kind of girl.

So... everything that Mary Jane isn't.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    They might just be making Mary Jane a bit different.

• Options
    Bogart wrote: »
    They might just be making Mary Jane a bit different.

That's a complete 180 from who she is in the comics. Like, it's one thing to change her race, because that doesn't matter really to the character, but change her from Super Model/Actress/Girly-Girl to "very dry, awkward, intellectual" who doesn't care about looks is a really big change. Having that character and calling her MJ would be a good reason to hate on the film.

My take away is that we aren't going to be dealing with love interests in the movie. Just his friends and enemies and how their lives are with Spiderman in the picture.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Maybe she's Peter's Q?

• Options
    reVerse wrote: »
    Maybe she's Peter's Q?

Isn't that Tony?

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    NEWS!

So it seems that Zendaya isn't Mary Jane. During an Interview with the Hollywood Reporter she says that her character isn't a romantic interest and that her character is "very dry, awkward, intellectual and because she's so smart, she just feels like she doesn't need to talk to people, like 'My brain is so far ahead of you that you're just not really on my 'level.'" and that she isn't a make-up and looks kind of girl.

So... everything that Mary Jane isn't.

Including being unlikable, because it reads like she'll be as obnoxious as Blossom on Big Bang Theory.

snip thwip :snap:

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Maybe she's Peter's Q?

Isn't that Tony?

Well, he had the web shooters before meeting T.

• Options
    Maybe she's Peter's Q?

Isn't that Tony?

Well, he had the web shooters before meeting T.

I thought he built that himself?

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Maybe she's Peter's Q?

Isn't that Tony?

3389f02v7hgi.jpg

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Maybe she's Peter's Q?

Isn't that Tony?

3389f02v7hgi.jpg

I thought you meant this Q

Attache_From_Russia_with_Love.jpg

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Maybe she's Peter's Q?

Isn't that Tony?

3389f02v7hgi.jpg

I thought you meant this Q

Attache_From_Russia_with_Love.jpg

he can be what ever Q you need baby
    CZwUU0t.jpg

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    I don't know much about the comics version, but in the cartoon of Spectacular Spider-Man, wasn't Liz Allen kind of a smart asshole and also some range of not white? That'd be my guess.

• Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    From what little I read of Ultimate Spider-Man, MJ came off there are a bit more of a brainy type.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1