As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

G&T Secret Santa 2016: You'll go down in history...

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    I keep getting the two of you confused.

The mod star is basically the only reason I don't.

No mod star on mobile that I can see.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • WillyDubWillyDub Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    GiftGet2_zpskzjkrnqw.gif

Proxy warned me of my impending giftage and sure enough...I've been gifted!!!
    20161116_174159.jpg

3 Packages...all of which need investigation...ASAP! (They thought they were getting a treat, hence forth the well behaved mannerism)
    20161116_174251.jpg

Seems like it all checks out. Let's get to the opening! Package 1!
    A Collection of awesome Nom Nom's that might already be half gone. Coffee Crisp is always a winner!20161116_174605.jpg

Package 2. In Action!!!
    20161116_174759%201.jpg
    20161116_174813.jpg

Package 3. I don't know where the picture is of this right now but I decided to just pull one off-line till I can retake another! This thing is awesome, I typically just play Limited Magic the Gathering and i'm always looking for places to store my dice etc. etc. Well done Santa!!!
    This is just a placeholder image but you get the idea!
    Gift%20Get.jpg

@SwashbucklerXX thank you very much for the thoughtful gifts. You pleased my belly, my nerd addictions, but most importantly you pleased my Huskies. Your generosity will not be forgotten and I wish you and yours a very Happy Holiday.

WillyDub on
    steam_sig.png
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Elin wrote: »
    jclast wrote: »
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Frem wrote: »
    jclast wrote: »
    I have started stalking, and now I think I have a good idea but I'm deathly afraid of giving my target something they already own.

Ahhh this happens every year, and I love it. I sincerely wish that gift-giving to and from my family was like it is here on PA.

Related, if you happen to be a target who is theoretically a huge board game fan, and you haven't updated (or even logged into) your board game geek account for a while, uh. Maybe do that!

It's possible you have incredible self restraint and haven't bought any board games for eons. But is it likely?

The board game thread is almost, but not quite, as bad as the Steam thread.

So, no.

Limited only by the fact most board games are physical products and can't be immediately thrust upon each other's e-mail accounts.

Someday the 2 will combine and then everybody will own Small World 2 and Smash-Up on Steam.

Have you heard of Tabletop Simulator because yeah ... someone probably made those for Tabletop Simulator.

Edit: Don't drink and post kids, you get game names wrong.

Both of those already exist on Steam (and I own them, Small World 2 is better than Smash-Up, but Smash-Up is early access so I continue to have high hopes for it). That's why they were the two I mentioned.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    @Bobkins Flymo I can't find your post with the avatar spreadsheet, but I'd be glad to have my Waluigi cheerified when you have time.
    Wait, I can make everyone happy!

WKfDw71.png

*grumble grumble* thanks....

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    We haven't had this much avatar confusion since the days of @urahonky and that other guy with the Simon Pegg avy.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • vhannroyvhannroy Registered User regular
    Proxy elf tells me a package has been delivered to the main desk of my complex. I wont get a chance to check it out till tonight. Can't wait!

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Christmas Avatar Time!

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    We haven't had this much avatar confusion since the days of @urahonky and that other guy with the Simon Pegg avy.

Oh man I wish I could remember who that was.

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    WillyDub wrote: »
    GiftGet2_zpskzjkrnqw.gif

20161116_174159.jpg

3 Packages...all of which need investigation...ASAP! (They thought they were getting a treat, hence forth the well behaved mannerism)
    20161116_174251.jpg

A Collection of awesome Nom Nom's that might already be half gone. Coffee Crisp is always a winner!20161116_174605.jpg

Package 2. In Action!!!
    20161116_174759%201.jpg
    20161116_174813.jpg

Package 3. I don't know where the picture is of this right now but I decided to just pull one off-line till I can retake another! This thing is awesome, I typically just play Limited Magic the Gathering and i'm always looking for places to store my dice etc. etc. Well done Santa!!!
    Gift%20Get.jpg

Santa thank you very much for the thoughtful gifts. You pleased my belly, my nerd addictions, but most importantly you pleased my Huskies. Your generosity will not be forgotten and I wish you and yours a very Happy Holiday.

I hope you didn't eat the 1 billion chocolate. That was actually Canadian currency. We don't call it "fun money" for nothing, guys. :/

@Bobkins Flymo I can't find your post with the avatar spreadsheet, but I'd be glad to have my Waluigi cheerified when you have time.
    Wait, I can make everyone happy!

WKfDw71.png

*grumble grumble* thanks....

The only thing better than Bobkins making that avatar image is that you actually are using it. :biggrin:

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    WillyDub wrote: »
    GiftGet2_zpskzjkrnqw.gif

20161116_174159.jpg

20161116_174251.jpg

Package 2. In Action!!!
    20161116_174759%201.jpg
    20161116_174813.jpg

Gift%20Get.jpg

@SwashbucklerXX thank you very much for the thoughtful gifts. You pleased my belly, my nerd addictions, but most importantly you pleased my Huskies. Your generosity will not be forgotten and I wish you and yours a very Happy Holiday.

You're quite welcome, and I'm glad you liked it all!

bw6fvt5mzys8.jpg

Corby the lab says, "I am glad friends liked duck! I like duck lots! Duck is love! Duck is life! Won't somebody play duck with me?"

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
    GiftGet2_zpskzjkrnqw.gif
    My zergling (Named Zergie in case you wanted to know) was super excited to go get the package from the office of my complex and it took everything in my power to keep him from tearing the box open.

As you can see Zergie is will trained in the art of siting on top secret information.
    yBoekP2.jpg

The tag reads "Part 1 is here. the second will arrive when you have posted Christmas cheer buckle up."
    1M7N97B.jpg

"This is part 1. Part 2 is yet to come"
    oN6p6oJ.jpg

Since zergie was behaving I let him hang out with his new friends and gorge him self on leftover halloween candy
    1YhbwIG.jpg

I recently received my own office at work and I have had no clue what I was going to decorate it with... these certainly beat the heck out of a plant. Thank you.

Though am not sure who my secret santa is. From what I can tell there are not hints in the notes. Maybe I missed something.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    I'm not sure I understand "Leftover Halloween Candy" that's Butterfinger, peanut butter cups and kitkats.

I mean, I get the Mounds. Ugh, coconut. Pass until I'm really desperate.
    But Butterfingers? Reese's? Kitkats? Those never made it to "leftover" for me.

Though, maybe I'd have tried a little harder if I had a stuffed zergling to appease.

• anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Right. My son has some left over halloween candy, and it's like some mystery flavored dum dums, lemon tootsie roolls (who eats these?), and an almond joy. The reeses were eaten in the first couple days. By me. Because dad tax.

Those pop figures are pretty cool. I'm not even remotely into those, but the vault boy and clap trap are awesome.

Steam: offday
    anoffday wrote: »
    Right. My son has some left over halloween candy, and it's like some mystery flavored dum dums, lemon tootsie roolls (who eats these?), and an almond joy. The reeses were eaten in the first couple days. By me. Because dad tax.

Those pop figures are pretty cool. I'm not even remotely into those, but the vault boy and clap trap are awesome.

Can't speak for others, but those fruit flavored tootsie rolls are high up on my list of delicious candy.
    Behind peanut butter and chocolate anything of course, but still well ahead of coconut anything or that nasty peanut butter taffy that seems to be a seasonal favorite to hand out.

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I found a green one in an old jacket the other day.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    anoffday wrote: »

I will eat your lemon tootsie rolls, those things are delicious. Or would if I wasn't on a diet >.<

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    The only thing better than a lemon tootsie roll is a fruit punch tootsie roll.

Houn on
    So, to my Riddler/Santa hybrid, sorry for not posting.
    Been a busy week and haven't had time for ramming my head against tiny grey squares,
    But, my weekend starts now, so I'll take some time to investigate.

To the threadites who are puzzling along with me, here's the information I've received thus far.
    Puzzle 1. This is a training puzzle. If you are comfortable with this, please either post the puzzle with your answer, or the puzzle asking for help in the thread. You will get more difficult puzzles, but I wanted to give you a chance to solve them.

Santa
    go5t1nf9119b.jpg
    So, apparently, my colors weren't exact, so I updated Puzzle 1.

Noted the thread comments. maybe some goo ideas in there, maybe not.

I sent over the signs. No they are not numbers, good try thread. Also, it has nothing to do with your user name.
    xpga201a4lqg.png
    tlp405ibt1pe.png
    zml2ls610rec.png
    9eaux4pu31ms.png
    Not sure if the typo there was intentional or not. Goo ideas/good ideas?
    Well I have scene no info in thread, and you haven't replied as figuring things out yet. So I will give you your first real puzzle. This is the one you need to solve, and the other two should help. Don't worry, you will keep getting info until it is all solved.

So without further ado:

I give you

Drop 1
    6c1w9hdvicez.png
    (See's note: original file name: Drop1.png)
    Again, direct copy and paste of email. Not sure if the typo is intentional or not. Scene/seen?

I've put together collage of the puzzles and information provided so far in the hopes that diddling around in photoshop may make some connections. As well as the RGB values for the shades of grey in both decimal values and hex.
    i0lwyo8mq1bi.jpg

Sadly, photoshop diddling did little for looking at this in a different way or inspiring any kind of break through.
    I wonder if this is how translators felt before the discovery of the Rosetta Stone.
    Knowing that there's a pattern there, a language trying to get information across. But having no idea how that pattern can be applied to their day to day thinking or the other way around.

edited November 2016
    Well, I've looked up anything I can think of, and I'm out of ideas. No idea what it's going for or how to interpret it. I've never seen a puzzle like it before to even know where to begin.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited November 2016
    I don't know if this is anything, but converting the values from the first two puzzle to binary:
    Puzzle 1
    11100101, 00011010
    (+)
    11001100, 00110011
    (=)
    01001100, 10110010

Puzzle 2
    00000000, 01100110
    (-)
    01100110, 00000000
    (=)
    11111111, 10011001
    Might be nothing though.
    I mean, everything looks like a pattern when you're using 1s and 0s.

Edited to add:
    Converted to ASCII
    &#229,
    (+)
    Ì3
    (=)

f
    (-)
    f
    (=)
    ÿ™

That's probably nothing though.

see317 on
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I'm just really glad I've never gotten puzzle Santa. I still love you puzzle Santa.

GiftGet2_zpskzjkrnqw.gif
    So really I think part two might have arrived before part one... I can tell you I am not complaining by any means
    2xqKDp0.png

The note read...
    jLI8ZR1.jpg

Also to keep with tradition.
    A shot with Zergie waiting for the download.
    t5BfyNQ.jpg

I am so excited to play this! I am honestly thinking of calling out of work to morrow as I feel a little...."cough"... bit the black lung coming on. It is currently in the hopper for downloading.

As a side note I really only had two games I wanted off steam as those were the two games I was really looking forward to playing .

Thank you still secret santa with great taste!

I'm just really glad I've never gotten puzzle Santa. I still love you puzzle Santa.

I have to assume my failure at puzzling this out are just as frustrating for Riddler Santa as they are for me.
    They've obviously put in some effort into constructing the riddle, and I'm just standing here pushing on the door clearly labeled "pull".
    But because "pull" is written in Greek, I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

• Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    THAT'S A MOUNTAIN OF MONITORS!

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I wouldn't even know what to do with that kind of battle station.

• QuicalQuical Registered User regular
    Who needs that many YouTube windows open??? AND iTunes? You're a monster, @vhannroy .

NNID: Quical
    STEAM: Quical
    Check out my youtube channel, maybe subscribe?: NerdAndOrGeek
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    I wouldn't even know what to do with that kind of battle station.

Take pictures of it to show off on the internet as often as possible.

I play in eyefinity across the bottom 3 so the rez is 5760x1080. I have my coms,music, afterburner,friends list... and what not on the upper ones. Plus the field of view in shooters is just ridiculous.

It is also really great for making power points when you need 5 or 6 references open at any given time.

• El MuchoEl Mucho Registered User regular
    Santee tracking is telling me that your first package will arrive tomorrow (I wish Canada Post delivered on a Saturday :P) and that your second package is due Tuesday!

BNet: ElMucho#1392
    Origin: theRealElMucho
    Quical wrote: »
    Who needs that many YouTube windows open??? AND iTunes? You're a monster, vhannroy .
    They're good dogs, Quical.

see317 wrote: »
    So, to my Riddler/Santa hybrid, sorry for not posting.
    Been a busy week and haven't had time for ramming my head against tiny grey squares,
    But, my weekend starts now, so I'll take some time to investigate.

To the threadites who are puzzling along with me, here's the information I've received thus far.
    Puzzle 1. This is a training puzzle. If you are comfortable with this, please either post the puzzle with your answer, or the puzzle asking for help in the thread. You will get more difficult puzzles, but I wanted to give you a chance to solve them.

Santa
    go5t1nf9119b.jpg
    So, apparently, my colors weren't exact, so I updated Puzzle 1.

Noted the thread comments. maybe some goo ideas in there, maybe not.

I sent over the signs. No they are not numbers, good try thread. Also, it has nothing to do with your user name.
    xpga201a4lqg.png
    tlp405ibt1pe.png
    zml2ls610rec.png
    9eaux4pu31ms.png
    Not sure if the typo there was intentional or not. Goo ideas/good ideas?
    Well I have scene no info in thread, and you haven't replied as figuring things out yet. So I will give you your first real puzzle. This is the one you need to solve, and the other two should help. Don't worry, you will keep getting info until it is all solved.

So without further ado:

I give you

Drop 1
    6c1w9hdvicez.png
    (See's note: original file name: Drop1.png)
    Again, direct copy and paste of email. Not sure if the typo is intentional or not. Scene/seen?

I've put together collage of the puzzles and information provided so far in the hopes that diddling around in photoshop may make some connections. As well as the RGB values for the shades of grey in both decimal values and hex.
    i0lwyo8mq1bi.jpg

Sadly, photoshop diddling did little for looking at this in a different way or inspiring any kind of break through.
    I wonder if this is how translators felt before the discovery of the Rosetta Stone.
    Knowing that there's a pattern there, a language trying to get information across. But having no idea how that pattern can be applied to their day to day thinking or the other way around.

Yeah, I've been poking at this and really don't have much besides what you have. The biggest problem I have is a lack of direction - I don't know what the output should be, and this really isn't helped by the practice puzzle(s) feeling disconnected from the given puzzle. Do the signs actually mean anything if they don't come up again? Are they meant to be inferred? Why only use + and - in examples if / and * also had signs (This one makes me think the signs don't really matter for actually solving the puzzles, but that reroutes me to my original problem of what the output should look like)?

I can say that I think I understand the process of notes from the original puzzle. It was mentioned the colours weren't exact, which is why I think rounding came up. The brightness values for the original greys were not whole 10s, while the provided scale you've been given, as well as every block afterwards is. I think this is important somehow, that there are only 11 shades and they are exactly [0-10-20-30-...-90-100]% brightness, but I haven't figured out anything better to do with them, especially since I remain confused as to what the signs are trying to suggest.

I don't exactly mind the vague nature of this puzzle, and I do enjoy poking at these things (I would have no problem getting a puzzle Santa one of these years ;P ), but I would enjoy the slightest nudge here. Like, not even necessarily a new hint on the puzzle and how to solve it, but just if what I noted above is actually correct, or a whole bunch of coincidence.

• QuicalQuical Registered User regular
    I have been sent a message from proxy the elf.

"I'm happy the book has seen use already, and the beanballs look good. It's home cooking - taste is important, presentation is a nicety :P
    However, it does remind me that I've been remiss in forgetting a vital component of applying heat to components, and eating the results.
    Not to worry, you should be receiving some additional packages to rectify my failure."

Bloody hell Santa! Haven't you done enough? Additional packages? This is too much good will to handle.

NNID: Quical
    STEAM: Quical
    Check out my youtube channel, maybe subscribe?: NerdAndOrGeek
    Got a reply from Riddler Santa
    @initiatefailure I am enjoying the puzzle from my aspect, but if my Santee asks, I will give out the solution. I would wait a little closer to December, but rest assured, I would not let my Santee go without something. If I ever got a puzzle I couldn't solve, I would be sure to bring it to this thread. I have seen some solved that I scratched my head at.

see317 No worry, I'm not frustrated. Also, don't worry, you will keep getting updated clues until it is solved. I would never let a Santee go without something in there sack.

I so want to respond in thread, but I have to respond here. I don't want to give myself away yet.
    Not sure if that was PM'd to initiatefailure or not, but figured it won't hurt to post it again.

In news related to Secret Santaing, but not related to puzzles.
    nxmfcfjxwbu2.jpg
    It just got a whole lot Santier in here.

Shit. I just had a thought regarding the puzzle, and as I started poking at it our ride came for tonight's outing, so ... Whatever, I'm probably wrong, but I'll let you know later. For now, SUSPENSE! ...?

Shit. I just had a thought regarding the puzzle, and as I started poking at it our ride came for tonight's outing, so ... Whatever, I'm probably wrong, but I'll let you know later. For now, SUSPENSE! ...?

Awesomed because there is no "you're a monster" button.

• SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Proxy has relayed to me a message!
    --MESSAGE BEGINS--

Santee holiday enrichment program has begin.
    Target acquired.
    Payload has been procured.

DELIVERABLE 1:
    Fast-acting air-to-Santee strike force, codename "Storm"
    Prepared for deployment
    Awaiting go from NorthPole Central

DELIVERABLE 2:
    Mammoth-class amphibian assault, codename "Chillsmith"
    Deployment has begun
    Estimated time of arrival: within 30 days

DO NOT DESPAIR SANTEE
    JOY IS COMING

--MESSAGE ENDS--

One if by land! Two if by sea! Lanterns prepared! :D

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    GiftGet2_zps093b52db.gif

A package arrived from ThinkGeek this evening. I was about 95% sure that I hasn't already started Christmas shopping. Does Christmas in November continue?
    wf4mdopla6bk.jpg

It does! The box contained a... whoa!
    gvqndutq66wh.jpg

Santa has clearly been reading my posts!
    op7rs4702n0r.png
    Hmm. None of the forumers who agreed with the post are participating in in Secret Santa this year. *eliminates suspects*

I don't have many places such a fine statue could be displayed. I finally settled on my gaming cubby, next to these copies of Mass Effect 3.
    zdr6tsplhcj0.jpg

Here's a closeup. The detail is kinda crazy. You can even seen the faint shape of her face behind the mask, just like in the games.
    ohm1jlkkj0ms.jpg

Moar photos!
    9cxg0bx6cd58.jpg
    psyj1p2djot0.jpg

It's extremely rad! Thank you, Secret Santa!

see317 wrote: »

Awesomed because there is no "you're a monster" button.

Don't worry, I was right that I was wrong. I had largely suspected this was the case because an 8x5 grid wasn't right for what I was considering. It may still be a relevant avenue, but I'm employing it at the wrong step if it is.
    Basically, I just took the hex codes and converted them to binary, and then used the binary string to generate an image where 0 and 1 were black and white. The idea here was to look for something resembling a QR code, but again, I didn't have enough numbers for a good result. The output was jank, looking like so:
    eo5lyftsnvbo.png
    0b67yeml0kkj.png

I'm still convinced the signs have to infer something important to making the 8X5 meaningful, but I have zero idea what that is at the moment. The very first warm-up puzzle throws me slightly because the best theory I have is off by a single digit, but also the summary of the RGB values is 254 rather than 255 (which the first and second sets sum up to, so I think this is simply a rounding error somewhere in the 10s system).
    If you take (255-(229-26))+(255-(204-51)) then it does equal 153 (which is 255-(178-76), or always subtracting the darker colour from the lighter of the pair). But this logic doesn't hold for the subtraction example, so again, I'm not sure if it's coincidence in the first problem, or that I'm just failing to take anything away from this. Personally, I'm currently leaning towards the former because I still don't see where any of this goes. :P
    Sorry, man. But I am totally still in this with you, and just as stumped.

edited November 2016
    My brain just hurts after staring at it for a while. Not having the tools to dig into the images isn't helping either. (on mobile)

I like to consider myself a fairly smart human being, but each year one of you guys always pulls out these ridiculous puzzles that makes me feel like an idiot.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png