As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Camp Comic] Friday, November 18, 2016 - Breathing Room

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited November 2016 in Camp Weedonwantcha

image[Camp Comic] Friday, November 18, 2016 - Breathing Room

Breathing Room

Breathing Room

http://campcomic.com/comic/373

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• briguybriguy Registered User regular
    :(
    My Side of the Mountain, though.

Placing my bet on one of his other books being Hatchet.

• Ilze123Ilze123 Registered User regular
    not crying yet. Needed to google my side of the mountain. Love the art.

• HipsterSlenderHipsterSlender ChicagolandRegistered User regular
    I love that the only colored object in his room is his journal.

"Order! Order! Do you kids wanna be like the real U.N., or do you just wanna squabble and waste time?"
    Ilze123 wrote: »
    not crying yet. Needed to google my side of the mountain. Love the art.

I read it as a kid in school. I remember thinking it was pretty bad ass. It's a nice nod to him saving the weasel from Purdy, too.

• AriWerdAriWerd Registered User regular
    I loved that book as a kid. I wonder if it means Brian found the camp while trying to go off and be alone.

Who do you suppose that ring belongs to? If we assume the masculine hand belongs Brian's father and he's wearing the ring on his pinky, does that mean it's Brian's mother's ring?

• bocklingbockling Registered User regular
    Surprisingly a lot to unpack here. That ring: Maybe a sports ring of some kind? A father disappointed his son is not an athlete?

• Hawk1966Hawk1966 Leiche Central FloridaRegistered User regular
    I read several copies of 'My Side of the Mountain' to tatters when I was a kid. I even went back a few years ago and revisited it, still great. The sequels, not so much. But just taking off and finding a piece of land to hide/live on? That's been a dream. Now, with the walker, it stays a dream forever. But I'm betting that ring and Brian's tweaked nose later in life have a meeting.

• BaronbrianBaronbrian Registered User regular
    My Side of the Mountain... now I'm wondering if Brian was actually left there or if he went there willingly.

• PirateTruckPirateTruck Registered User regular
    At least when Brian finally breaks out he'll already have the rope he needs to save Malachai and Seventeen.

• CrumplepunchCrumplepunch Registered User regular
    Found Batman.

• Jr. Mithrandir Jr. Mithrandir Registered User regular
    I am no longer so certain that Brian was abandoned.

• Talyn RahlTalyn Rahl Registered User regular
    Well that's interesting... Was expecting a gutpunch, actually got a mystery to pick at.

Nicely done.

edited November 2016
    New theory:
    They recently moved
    The father has a pinkie ring
    There's a crucifix in the background

The father was in the mafia and they were placed in a witness protection program. Brian's going to get into a fight, getting hit on the nose will be his berserk button, and will either be abandoned or find Camp W himself.

Edit: this mainly a joke, because I only see mafia-type guys wear pinkie rings.

briguy on
  • Peter RoganPeter Rogan Registered User regular
    The continuing private agony of the introvert. It's very different to find that you not only don't fit in, but you don't want to fit in. Anywhere.

• UEAK CarnageUEAK Carnage Registered User regular
    You ever get that feeling reading this comic when you just know it's gonna be your turn

Something witty.
    Just wait until you start seeing those Goddamn bats.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]UEAK+Carnage.png
  • mecha_Billmecha_Bill Registered User regular
    Never read the book but saw the movie. Very inspiring. At that age (a precocious pre teen), it gave me hope that I could run off into the woods to escape my alcoholic father. I remember reading the "Princess Auto" catalog; searching the surplus and outdoors sections for supplies I would need. I figured it would cost about $50 or so (back in the early 70s) for all the supplies. Most of the food I picked was unhealthy, mostly Lipton Chicken soup clones but what did I know? Never ran off into the woods like that but I still have a love of nature and camping.

Also, engineers wear pinkie rings but they tend to be plain iron. Since this has a stone, I'm guessing it's Brian's moms wedding ring.

• MartynMartyn Registered User regular
    Nice catch on the book title! I had to brighten the picture up a lot to see that. I agree with those who think Brian may be one of the few who actually sought out this camp instead of being left there.

• ZyxxZyxx Registered User regular
    By "wasn't scary", does he mean school wasn't scary, or that HE wasn't scary, like he didn't come close to losing his temper today?

edited November 2016
    Zyxx wrote: »
    By "wasn't scary", does he mean school wasn't scary, or that HE wasn't scary, like he didn't come close to losing his temper today?

I think he means HE wasn't scary.
    Look at the structure: "wasn't scary" followed "but glad to be by myself again."

Edit: so yeah, I think you're right.
    It's ambiguous but I like this interpretation.

briguy on
  • DublinDublin Registered User regular
    Two types of people wear pinkie ring: mafiosi and engineers.

Hmm... well. depending on the point of view, these two can actually be the same type!

• DJFlare84DJFlare84 Registered User regular
    Alternatively, the ring on his pinky is his old high-school ring and as he got older his fingers got too big to wear it, until only his pinky could anymore.

Possibly a high-school jock who misses his glory days.

All I know is Katie and Adam better be working on one hell of a backstory for that ring. ;-)

• AmishElvisAmishElvis Registered User regular
    Hi Katie and Adam. I got my book in the mail today. It is fantastic! I'm so glad I kickstarted it. You two created something really amazing. That means you must be amazing too. Congratulations on being amazing!

• Wait a minuteWait a minute Registered User regular
    I loved that book as a kid