As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

G&T Secret Santa 2016: You'll go down in history...

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    shadowane wrote: »
    Should be pretty quick. Personally, my turnaround on Proxy has always been a couple of hours or so. Would definitely follow up as it sounds like your message just happened to fall through a crack.

I sent one last week and still haven't heard back so it could also just be the santees not responding quickly.

edit: Try checking your person's profile. There is a last active portion that tells you when they were last here. Mine hasn't been back since a while before I sent my message so no surprise I haven't heard anything yet.

You're correct. I was getting Proxy confused with CF Santa, who tells you when they have sent the message along. Proxy just sends them off and it's up to the recipient from there.
    Never question our blessed little elf. ;P

• ElinElin Registered User regular
    The day of the turkey approaches. The job I want was posted today and I applied. Feel like I am going to vomit. Santee I am here, I will start my investigation after the day of the turkey. What kind of books are you getting, I always send books and nerdcore hip hop. No one is exempt.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    GiftGet2_zps093b52db.gif

After a bit of a mailing hitch, Secret Santa gift received!

What could it be? (Note: this is all movie magic. I opened it already before taking photos.)
    yQ1tzmL.jpg

A Swedish engineered spork? They always make good stuff.
    zuKCnJM.jpg

Some mysterious hard candies (as in, I had no idea what horehound was except maybe it was an insult to someone's dog, but I'm told it is a kind of plant that can be used to make teas or lozenges). I'm told these will soothe the throat. Santa prepping me for that long, cold Northeastern US winter.
    C1jTFgY.jpg

A note! Which only reveals that the gifting will continue!
    7hofyTy.jpg

Thanks, Santa!

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    That note is ominous.

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    GiftGet2_zps093b52db.gif

What could it be? (Note: this is all movie magic. I opened it already before taking photos.)
    yQ1tzmL.jpg

zuKCnJM.jpg

Some mysterious hard candies (as in, I had no idea what horehound was except maybe it was an insult to someone's dog, but I'm told it is a kind of plant that can be used to make teas or lozenges). I'm told these will soothe the throat. Santa prepping me for that long, cold Northeastern US winter.
    C1jTFgY.jpg

7hofyTy.jpg

Thanks, Santa!

Are you ready for some Steam gifts? Cause that note means you got some Steam gifts coming, for sure. Prepare your body, because the sale is coming soon.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    GiftGet2_zps093b52db.gif

yQ1tzmL.jpg

zuKCnJM.jpg

C1jTFgY.jpg

7hofyTy.jpg

Thanks, Santa!

Are you ready for some Steam gifts? Cause that note means you got some Steam gifts coming, for sure. Prepare your body, because the sale is coming soon.

That, or he got the Saw Santa.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Man, I love horehound candy.

You can only get it in, like, Cracker Barrels.

edited November 2016
    I mean yeah, I figured the note was hinting at Steam/Valve type stuff.

Through Proxy, Santa did hint that this would not be the only gift, so I'm not sure if they meant that literally like another physical package is coming, or if I should gird my Steam loins.

If the Steam thing, I should probably clean up my wishlist one of these days. Way too much stuff on there that I thought looked interesting at one time or another, thanks to the Steam thread and their harbingers of poverty.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Figured I'd share this delightful little tale of efficient packing and shipping in this thread as well...
    see317 wrote: »
    So, while watching the latest episode of Westworld, I heard a knock at my door.
    I opened the door (as one does when one hears a knocking) to a huge box from Office Depot.
    y3hhk2g7xli1.jpg
    Chair for scale.

I had ordered something from Office Depot, but it certainly shouldn't require a box the size of an ottoman. So, opening commences.
    p33xv9yjfm6g.jpg

Clearly, I was wrong. The 12x9x5inch box I ordered to pack my santee's gift into does indeed require a box roughly 8 times its volume (13.5x14.5x22) to ship in, as well as bags of air to insure there is no damage done to the empty collapsed cardboard box in shipping.

7pz96qstc1kp.jpg
    New box, perched on top of the box it was shipped in.

I don't know if anyone here works for Office Depot in a corporate role where they could make a suggestion, but maybe there was a better way to do this? Maybe wrap the thing in plastic and slap the shipping label there?

In Secret Santa related news, the box was the last piece of the puzzle. I can ship as soon as I get stuff wrapped, packed and labeled and get to the post office.

In news related to the G&T Secret Santa, it's packed, labeled and ready to be taken to the post office, where Santa will entrust this box of holiday festiveness to the horrifying demi goblins that work there, and the dark gods they worship.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    but hey, free box!

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    "How do we ship a box?"

"...What if we put it in a box?"

"Brilliant!"

• mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Michigan-Hype-Video-Xzibit.png

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
  • lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Figured I'd share this delightful little tale of efficient packing and shipping in this thread as well...
    So, while watching the latest episode of Westworld, I heard a knock at my door.
    I opened the door (as one does when one hears a knocking) to a huge box from Office Depot.
    y3hhk2g7xli1.jpg
    Chair for scale.

I had ordered something from Office Depot, but it certainly shouldn't require a box the size of an ottoman. So, opening commences.
    p33xv9yjfm6g.jpg

Clearly, I was wrong. The 12x9x5inch box I ordered to pack my santee's gift into does indeed require a box roughly 8 times its volume (13.5x14.5x22) to ship in, as well as bags of air to insure there is no damage done to the empty collapsed cardboard box in shipping.

7pz96qstc1kp.jpg
    New box, perched on top of the box it was shipped in.

I don't know if anyone here works for Office Depot in a corporate role where they could make a suggestion, but maybe there was a better way to do this? Maybe wrap the thing in plastic and slap the shipping label there?

In Secret Santa related news, the box was the last piece of the puzzle. I can ship as soon as I get stuff wrapped, packed and labeled and get to the post office.

In news related to the G&T Secret Santa, it's packed, labeled and ready to be taken to the post office, where Santa will entrust this box of holiday festiveness to the horrifying demi goblins that work there, and the dark gods they worship.

I get stuff from Staples and it's the same thing. A huge box filled with bubble wrap so that they can ship in it a box of toner.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
    hqdefault.jpg

'Aren't there any posts in the Secret Santa thread that AREN'T about boxes?!'

steam_sig.png

• cornellcornell Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    GiftGet2_zps093b52db.gif

I got an email Monday morning with a gift, and a warning:
    JHtnOWM.png

I hadn't heard of Factorio before, but I just booted it up this morning and am LOVING it so far.

While playing the game (literally), a package arrived on my doorstep. Dog investigating:
    r7iDsKZ.jpg

Contents!:
    uZfl8J5.jpg
    Oh man, this is going to start popping up all over the house to scare the bejesus out of my girlfriend

LogiaFJ.jpg
    I am torn between wanting to use these constantly, or leaving them in the package because they're badass looking.

1Pxtjwf.jpg
    Big fan of the looks of this

LQhS2ql.jpg
    Treats!

x0sxoHr.jpg
    Full haul

@a nu start! You crushed it, I'm unbelievably pumped. Thank you tons, Merry Christmas!

cornell on
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    cornell wrote: »
    GiftGet2_zps093b52db.gif

JHtnOWM.png

I hadn't heard of Factorio before, but I just booted it up this morning and am LOVING it so far.

While playing the game (literally), a package arrived on my doorstep. Dog investigating:
    r7iDsKZ.jpg

Contents!:
    uZfl8J5.jpg
    Oh man, this is going to start popping up all over the house to scare the bejesus out of my girlfriend

LogiaFJ.jpg
    I am torn between wanting to use these constantly, or leaving them in the package because they're badass looking.

1Pxtjwf.jpg

LQhS2ql.jpg
    Treats!

x0sxoHr.jpg
    Full haul

@a%20nu%20start! (I couldn't figure out a better way to tag you but it looks like this worked, if anyone can tell me how to incorporate spaces, I apparently could use it) You crushed it, I'm unbelievably pumped. Thank you tons, Merry Christmas!

Put the forum name in quotes.

camo_sig2.png
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Hey Santa, apparently I am moving on Friday (Again...sigh) so please hit me up via proxy or something if necessary for my new address!

Twitch Streaming basically all week
    SniperGuyGaming on PSN / SniperGuy710 on Xbone Live
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    GiftGet2_zps093b52db.gif

JHtnOWM.png

r7iDsKZ.jpg

Contents!:
    uZfl8J5.jpg

LogiaFJ.jpg

1Pxtjwf.jpg

LQhS2ql.jpg
    Treats!

x0sxoHr.jpg
    Full haul

@a nu start! You crushed it, I'm unbelievably pumped. Thank you tons, Merry Christmas!

Ah, rule 63. Truly the best of the rules.

Stabbity_Style.png
    GiftGet2_zps093b52db.gif

JHtnOWM.png

r7iDsKZ.jpg

Contents!:
    uZfl8J5.jpg

LogiaFJ.jpg

1Pxtjwf.jpg

LQhS2ql.jpg
    Treats!

x0sxoHr.jpg
    Full haul

Ah, rule 63. Truly the best of the rules.

Much cuter than Johnny Depp.

• FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    HNNNNNG this steam sale

Santa if you're feeling some left over cheer, there's some games on my wishlist that are sub- $10, and I don't want to steal any of your thunder

I don't know what half of those Japanese things are.

steam_sig.png

GiftGet2_zps093b52db.gif

The final giftening!
    UWHqiqj.png
    OEEdMlX.png
    rfj7WwC.png
    qEIPGUc.png

Thanks, Santa @SniperGuy! I've actually been thinking a lot lately about how I should get Blood Money if I'm so into the new Hitman (which is very good and you people should play it). It's the one that is so often mentioned in the same breath as the new Hitman as "the best one", so I was going to pick it up during a sale. Luckily, you got me before I could buy it for myself! Also I was actually listening to the latest Bombcast as I was walking home from work and enjoying the Hitman conversation, so this is all extremely relevant to me.

steam_sig.png

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Giftapult launched! I received all the gifts and sent a package to my santee today.
    250px-Giftapult.png?t=20131222233840
    My cat wanted to help, or escape... one of the two.
    br584cxf8pgy.jpg

KoopahTroopah on
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    Slight problem with my Secret Santa Gift... it seems my daughter has claimed him as her own.

4sy560qxixfz.png

She literally squealed when she saw it -- she loves BB-8 so much she about died.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    GiftGet2_zps093b52db.gif

JHtnOWM.png

r7iDsKZ.jpg

Contents!:
    uZfl8J5.jpg

LogiaFJ.jpg

1Pxtjwf.jpg

LQhS2ql.jpg
    Treats!

x0sxoHr.jpg
    Full haul

a nu start! You crushed it, I'm unbelievably pumped. Thank you tons, Merry Christmas!

Hope you like it. Was a bit worried that the figure was a little too off the wall. And in case you couldn't tell, that pen is erasable. Science!

Good luck with Factorio. It sure grabbed a few hundred hours of my time.

a nu start on
    Number One Tricky
    a nu start wrote: »
    GiftGet2_zps093b52db.gif

JHtnOWM.png

r7iDsKZ.jpg

Contents!:
    uZfl8J5.jpg

LogiaFJ.jpg

1Pxtjwf.jpg

LQhS2ql.jpg
    Treats!

x0sxoHr.jpg
    Full haul

a nu start! You crushed it, I'm unbelievably pumped. Thank you tons, Merry Christmas!

Hope you like it. Was a bit worried that the figure was a little too off the wall. And in case you couldn't tell, that pen is erasable. Science!

Good luck with Factorio. It sure grabbed a few hundred hours of my time.

The figure is awesome, crazy in the absolute best way (and it doesn't hurt that is one of my favorite movies).

• Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    GiftGet2_zps093b52db.gif

ANOTHER GIFTING! This is fantastic! I got an email from Santa with a link to Nick from HUmble Bundles' offering of games!
    I've redeemed the two I did not have and tossed the keys into PA G&T Adventure chat! More giftings woooooooo!!!!

There was also talk of a USPS parcel heading my way in FEDEX box :lol:

NWjIiLY.png

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Santa has gifted me Christmas music from bandcamp. More information as it arrives.

I do have a Christmas playlist...

YL9WnCY.png
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Received an envelope from Canada this morning!

l9isp4d.jpg

Awaiting the final package! So far I have a Canadian letter, a package from Japan and a box with Japanese on that came from here in England. To say I am intrigued and excited is an understatement :o

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    Slight problem with my Secret Santa Gift... it seems my daughter has claimed him as her own.

4sy560qxixfz.png

She literally squealed when she saw it -- she loves BB-8 so much she about died.

I've considered that possibility and I can't say I'm disappointed with the result :biggrin:

Worry not, there's more adult themed stuff coming!

minirhyder wrote: »
    Worry not, there's more adult themed stuff coming!

:winky:

Stabbity_Style.png
  • DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    Do I hear flag? Bacon? What was that gift again? Bleach?

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    DyasAlure wrote: »
    Do I hear flag? Bacon? What was that gift again? Bleach?

You only get bleach if your Secret Santa is Customs Canada.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
    So, to my Riddler/Santa hybrid, sorry for not posting.
    Been a busy week and haven't had time for ramming my head against tiny grey squares,
    But, my weekend starts now, so I'll take some time to investigate.

To the threadites who are puzzling along with me, here's the information I've received thus far.
    Puzzle 1. This is a training puzzle. If you are comfortable with this, please either post the puzzle with your answer, or the puzzle asking for help in the thread. You will get more difficult puzzles, but I wanted to give you a chance to solve them.

Santa
    go5t1nf9119b.jpg
    So, apparently, my colors weren't exact, so I updated Puzzle 1.

Noted the thread comments. maybe some goo ideas in there, maybe not.

I sent over the signs. No they are not numbers, good try thread. Also, it has nothing to do with your user name.
    xpga201a4lqg.png
    tlp405ibt1pe.png
    zml2ls610rec.png
    9eaux4pu31ms.png
    Not sure if the typo there was intentional or not. Goo ideas/good ideas?
    Well I have scene no info in thread, and you haven't replied as figuring things out yet. So I will give you your first real puzzle. This is the one you need to solve, and the other two should help. Don't worry, you will keep getting info until it is all solved.

So without further ado:

I give you

Drop 1
    6c1w9hdvicez.png
    (See's note: original file name: Drop1.png)
    Again, direct copy and paste of email. Not sure if the typo is intentional or not. Scene/seen?

I've put together collage of the puzzles and information provided so far in the hopes that diddling around in photoshop may make some connections. As well as the RGB values for the shades of grey in both decimal values and hex.
    i0lwyo8mq1bi.jpg

Sadly, photoshop diddling did little for looking at this in a different way or inspiring any kind of break through.
    I wonder if this is how translators felt before the discovery of the Rosetta Stone.
    Knowing that there's a pattern there, a language trying to get information across. But having no idea how that pattern can be applied to their day to day thinking or the other way around.

So, Santa Riddler has struck again, leaving me more grey boxes in my inbox. I'm at my parent's house using their computer at the moment though, so I can't really edit them together for posting. Later though, I'll get them up here and see if the new puzzles can help shed some light.

• Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Happy Thanksgiving, Santas and satans

• DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Happy Thanksgiving

I agree.
    Been a busy week and haven't had time for ramming my head against tiny grey squares,

To the threadites who are puzzling along with me, here's the information I've received thus far.
    Puzzle 1. This is a training puzzle. If you are comfortable with this, please either post the puzzle with your answer, or the puzzle asking for help in the thread. You will get more difficult puzzles, but I wanted to give you a chance to solve them.

Santa
    go5t1nf9119b.jpg

I sent over the signs. No they are not numbers, good try thread. Also, it has nothing to do with your user name.
    xpga201a4lqg.png
    tlp405ibt1pe.png
    zml2ls610rec.png
    9eaux4pu31ms.png
    Well I have scene no info in thread, and you haven't replied as figuring things out yet. So I will give you your first real puzzle. This is the one you need to solve, and the other two should help. Don't worry, you will keep getting info until it is all solved.

So without further ado:

I give you

Drop 1
    6c1w9hdvicez.png
    Again, direct copy and paste of email. Not sure if the typo is intentional or not. Scene/seen?

I've put together collage of the puzzles and information provided so far in the hopes that diddling around in photoshop may make some connections. As well as the RGB values for the shades of grey in both decimal values and hex.
    i0lwyo8mq1bi.jpg

Sadly, photoshop diddling did little for looking at this in a different way or inspiring any kind of break through.
    I wonder if this is how translators felt before the discovery of the Rosetta Stone.
    Knowing that there's a pattern there, a language trying to get information across. But having no idea how that pattern can be applied to their day to day thinking or the other way around.

So, Santa Riddler has struck again, leaving me more grey boxes in my inbox. I'm at my parent's house using their computer at the moment though, so I can't really edit them together for posting. Later though, I'll get them up here and see if the new puzzles can help shed some light.

Does the new stuff look promising?

DyasAlure on
    My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular

Santa
    go5t1nf9119b.jpg

xpga201a4lqg.png
    tlp405ibt1pe.png
    zml2ls610rec.png
    9eaux4pu31ms.png

So without further ado:

I give you

Drop 1
    6c1w9hdvicez.png

i0lwyo8mq1bi.jpg

Literally can't wait. I'm off tomorrow, so if you post it tonight or early tomorrow I can spend some time with it.

• noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular

Santa
    go5t1nf9119b.jpg

xpga201a4lqg.png
    tlp405ibt1pe.png
    zml2ls610rec.png
    9eaux4pu31ms.png

So without further ado:

I give you

Drop 1
    6c1w9hdvicez.png

i0lwyo8mq1bi.jpg

Literally can't wait. I'm off tomorrow, so if you post it tonight or early tomorrow I can spend some time with it.

At the end of it all, I bet we find out your Santa gave you the best gift of all- the gift of teamwork.

Or a PS4 Pro.

Santa
    go5t1nf9119b.jpg

xpga201a4lqg.png
    tlp405ibt1pe.png
    zml2ls610rec.png
    9eaux4pu31ms.png

So without further ado:

I give you

Drop 1
    6c1w9hdvicez.png

i0lwyo8mq1bi.jpg

Okay, I've updated the collage image, and it looks promising. But then, I'm assuming that this is actually math.
    5k7np3tjnp32.jpg
    The two new puzzles are at the bottom.

I had a thought that that the possible tiles represent the decimal places between 0 and 1. Black being 0, white being one, the intermediary numbers being .1, .2, .3 etc.
    If this is correct, the multiplication puzzle can be written as 01 (x) 01 (=) 01. I think this is where the idea came from, since the only number that is it's own square is 1.
    The second new puzzle works as well, as 0 (/) 0 (=) Undefined, as any number divided by 0 is undefined.

That thought kind of falls apart in regards to the first two puzzles though.
    I've filled in the values in this version but the numbers just don't seem to add up though.
    And I still don't know what I'd do with a big grid of numbers like that.
    bgkkl9v4dqui.jpg

Maybe one of you will catch what I'm missing, @DyasAlure , @ArcticLancer