As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[iPhone/iPod/iPad] Thread - When this thread started phones had headphone jacks

• BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    Since I'm on the upgrade plan I gotta get one at a retail location and mine was out of the color I wanted in 10 minutes - now shows out of stock... is there a way that I can claim a place in line for when they become available again, or just have to wait for them to arrive and first come first served...?

I did my order with the Apple Store app on my phone and although I did a different method for mine, I saw options for your situation. So perhaps you can try ordering directly from Apple?

Ah, I meant on the apple upgrade plan. I actually am required to order directly through Apple.
    I attempted to call them but I just get a message saying they got high call volume, sorry, *dial tone*

Guess I'll call the retail location when it opens, God bless their souls

Oh no they have the same system at their retail stores, they cannot be reached~

Update: I reached them, yeah seems no way to reserve past this first batch, gotta just keep checking as time goes on

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    According to UPS tracking, my new phone has hit American soil at last! It's in Anchorage. It has 3200 miles to go!

Edit: OH GOD, it's going to do like 6000 miles before getting to me: https://flightaware.com/live/iphone

davidsdurions on
  • ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Just pre-ordered at my local Virgin store. I'm the only one to do so. I expect I'll be able to pick it up on launch day!

• MercadeMercade Registered User regular
    This is only sorta iPhone related: I want to replace my 5S with a 7, but I can't make heads/tails of Verizon's upgrade options. My 2-year contract ended a few months ago, and would gladly re-sign another for a subsidized phone, but I'm led to believe they don't do that anymore. For those who might know, are there any "secret menu" deals at VZW that can get a 7 in my hands at not $649?

Switch: SW-1909-0466-9585
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Mercade wrote: »
    This is only sorta iPhone related: I want to replace my 5S with a 7, but I can't make heads/tails of Verizon's upgrade options. My 2-year contract ended a few months ago, and would gladly re-sign another for a subsidized phone, but I'm led to believe they don't do that anymore. For those who might know, are there any "secret menu" deals at VZW that can get a 7 in my hands at not $649?

I'm on Verizon, and yes you can still do the 2-year contract at subsidized price. The way I did it was just ordering my phone straight from Apple, they give you the options right there when you order. Same as I always do because I hate hate hate dealing with phone companies.

• MercadeMercade Registered User regular
    Sweet, will check that out. Thanks.

Switch: SW-1909-0466-9585
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Swiping left not bringing up the unlock screen anymore is driving me totally bananapants.

• FeloniousmozFeloniousmoz Registered User regular
    Would rather brick my 6+ than install iTunes, so attempting a wifi update to iOS10, fingers crossed they've resolved the update problems...

Steam: FeloniousMoz
    I just did the 10 update on my 5s. Success!

iMessage feels cluttered and not so hot on here. But I suspect it will be better on the bigger, fancier 7+ on Friday :+1:

iTunes can't see my iPhone.

• FeloniousmozFeloniousmoz Registered User regular
    Up and running an hour later, not too bad considering the large update file size.

Steam: FeloniousMoz
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Random question: is there a way to turn off autocorrect for browsers but keep it on for text messaging?

• iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    august wrote: »
    Swiping left not bringing up the unlock screen anymore is driving me totally bananapants.

Yes. This. Holy christ that'll take a bit to get used to. o_0

• NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Random question: is there a way to turn off autocorrect for browsers but keep it on for text messaging?

Not for the default keyboard, but you may be able to find a third party keyboard app that does this.

Edit: Also, as someone in Apple tech support, back up your phone before doing this update. It actually changes how data storage is counted on your device (base 2 to base 10) and has many other major changes. A good number of people are getting the recovery mode (connect to iTunes screen) when doing the OTA update through wifi. Doing it through iTunes is much safer and allows you to make an easy backup beforehand. The restore using iTunes is relatively painless and I haven't ran into anyone that doing so didn't get them past the recovery mode screen, but if you don't have iTunes you'd need to use a friend's iTunes program or get a free Apple Store appointment to do so.

Once it is up and running on your device, I've seen zero issues. The install is the only thing I've seen cause problems.

Nitsua on
    Don't know if it'll happen to anyone else but I had to manually install the iPhone device driver in windows for some reason.

Jesus Christ is itunes a counterintuitive piece of flaming garbage.

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I have new iOS questions!

Why does my phone just decide on its own now when the screen should turn on/off? Is it some sort of "smart" thing with iOS 10? It's annoying...

Also, I used to be able to respond to messages (not official "Message"s, but another app) when the notification popped up (and I was using the phone, not on the lock screen) directly in the notification. I can't see a way to do that now. Is that the app itself not being updated yet, or am I doing something wrong, or is that functionality just removed?

On the lock screen, when you get a notification, it seems like it's a bunch more clicks to open it than it used to be. Before, I would swipe, then TouchID and I was in the app. Now I have to like... click on it a couple times? Then unlock the phone I think? Maybe this is just me using it wrong again.

(Lastly, when trying this out, I got a Message to open up with the reply dialogue from the lock screen. Is responding to Messages no longer a secure thing?)

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    This fucking lock screen.

Number One Tricky
    I had to look up how to find the controls in music to repeat or shuffle songs/albums. Also the fact that I can't delete music off my iPhone using iTunes (I think?) is totally nuts.

My last two phones have been iPhones because my boss bought them for me but after this 6 croaks I'm probably gonna investigate the world of Android pretty seriously.

• KPCKPC Registered User regular
    a nu start wrote: »

It's a bit jarring, but my usual workflow of pressing the home button and rest it to unlock via TouchID still works; is this not the case for everyone else?
    I had to look up how to find the controls in music to repeat or shuffle songs/albums. Also the fact that I can't delete music off my iPhone using iTunes (I think?) is totally nuts.

My last two phones have been iPhones because my boss bought them for me but after this 6 croaks I'm probably gonna investigate the world of Android pretty seriously.

Discovery of the shuffle and repeat buttons are pretty bad, I agree. As for iTunes it depends on how you have it set up: sync or manually manage? How I do it is that I set up a playlist and have iTunes only sync songs on that playlist. I used to have it on manually manage but that got tiresome.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    My 6+ doesn't auto-wake. Must be a feature for more recent models.

Of course, 8 year of this has me hitting the button through muscle memory anyways.

YL9WnCY.png
    Don't know if it'll happen to anyone else but I had to manually install the iPhone device driver in windows for some reason.

This is really common for ensued 10 and sometimes 8 and 7. Just make sure you have the latest iTunes (that's how Apple packages the driver for Windows) and further then install using device manager or devices and printers. This is something I do pretty much on a daily basis.

• a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    KPC wrote: »

It's a bit jarring, but my usual workflow of pressing the home button and rest it to unlock via TouchID still works; is this not the case for everyone else?

It's a family ipad type thing, so it doesn't have any passcodes or TouchID or locks or anything set. So the rest your finger thing doesn't work.

Luckily, opening the Smart Cover (instead of hitting home or power) bypasses the lock screen altogether. Just means when I leave the cover open and it auto-sleeps, I have to deal with the stupid lock screen.

Number One Tricky
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Hey, iPhoners. This is probably the best thread to drop this link in. And apologies for it being a Daily Fail link, but the staggering levels of stupidity herein will hopefully make your day:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3805273/I-committed-biggest-mistake-life-watching-video-Clueless-iPhone-7-owners-destroy-new-handsets-YouTube-prank-dupes-DRILLING-headphone-jack.html

• FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    I have a dumb question. When I initially turned on my new iPhone SE, it had several new-to-me default wallpapers on it. After I restored the phone from a backup of my iPhone 5, all the new default wallpapers were gone. Does anyone have a copy of the wallpapers of the anemone things? Preferably the originals extracted from an OS update package, not the low quality one made from a jpg photograph of a phone.

Edit: Aha! Found them (or a very close reproduction) towards the bottom of this huge gallery.

Frem on
    KPC wrote: »

Discovery of the shuffle and repeat buttons are pretty bad, I agree. As for iTunes it depends on how you have it set up: sync or manually manage? How I do it is that I set up a playlist and have iTunes only sync songs on that playlist. I used to have it on manually manage but that got tiresome.

Maybe there's something I'm missing but I don't understand why adding and deleting items to a playlist is easier than doing it right from the device. I was going to follow your advice but never got around to it, and there's always just deleting items straight from the phone using Music. But I just plugged in my Nano and wanted to delete stuff off it and was hit with the fact that once again Apple doesn't trust me to allow me to delete items off of my ipod for some reason. I did some googling and some people were saying there are keyboard key combinations that allow you to do it, but none of them work for me so apparently they plugged up that workaround for the good of the people. I try not to get too worked up about tech minutiae but seriously, fuck this shit.

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Is your phone in manual mode? if it is you should be able to just access it like a USB drive and delete the relevant files, no?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    Because of the encryption used, you can't view the iPhones like a USB drive when plugged to a computer... at least not without a third party program. You can delete the music off the phone one at a time by holding it down from within the music app itself. No more dots to press like there was before.

My iPad Pro has been making a weird noise occasionally: it's this soft-sounding repeating hum, kind of like an alarm or something, and it even goes off in my headphones. I don't know what it is or how to have it turn off, so I'm forced to restart the iPad every time it does this.

Any ideas what it could be? Apple devices still have a 1 year warranty, right? I might have to hit the Apple Store if it persists.

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    My iPad Pro has been making a weird noise occasionally: it's this soft-sounding repeating hum, kind of like an alarm or something, and it even goes off in my headphones. I don't know what it is or how to have it turn off, so I'm forced to restart the iPad every time it does this.

Any ideas what it could be? Apple devices still have a 1 year warranty, right? I might have to hit the Apple Store if it persists.

Yeah that's weird. I would definitely swap it for a replacement before the warranty is up, it's way too expensive to deal with that kind of thing. The Apple replacement process is fairly painless.

a5ehren wrote: »

Yeah that's weird. I would definitely swap it for a replacement before the warranty is up, it's way too expensive to deal with that kind of thing. The Apple replacement process is fairly painless.

That would benefit me as I recently got a slightly minor scratch on the back from moving it on a glass desk. It's small and insignificant...but it's the sort of thing that drives me insane when lugging around an expensive computer.

Also I'm pretty certain the hum is actually from the sound notification you get when charging the battery. For some reason it randomly does that, even when it's unplugged, just doing the battery beep noise over and over.

To be on the safe side I'll set up an Apple Store meeting.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited November 2016
    Can you turn off iCloud photo sharing notifications somewhere? I'm getting a TON of spam that way.

edit: not just notifications, the whole damn thing. I still get them cluttering up the Photo app.

edit2: found a setting that turns off the whole thing. Unusually clumsy granularity, either on or off for the whole sharing function, no way to just not get invitations.

Echo on
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    I'm looking to get a new iPad. I have a mini from some years ago. Any reason I should switch from a mini? (I use it for drawing and comic reading mostly.)

Also, anyone up to par on deals for the next few days? Like, best place to grab one if I decide to? Preferably online.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    redfield85 wrote: »
    I'm looking to get a new iPad. I have a mini from some years ago. Any reason I should switch from a mini? (I use it for drawing and comic reading mostly.)

Also, anyone up to par on deals for the next few days? Like, best place to grab one if I decide to? Preferably online.

If you use it for drawing, deffo get the 10 or 13" iPad Pro... just because the pencil is fucking ridiculous with how good it is.

Better than Wacom.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Except for the lack of an eraser function (i.e. a second end).
    Also it would be great if it could clip onto the smart connector rather than sticking out of the lightning port…
    Hey, maybe one could solve the issues with the other?

(Coming soon to the Apple Pen…)

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Also it would be great if it could clip onto the smart connector rather than sticking out of the lightning port…

the lack of eraser end is annoying, sure... but the UIs on apps that make use of the pen have gotten around that handily.

The latency and immediacy of pen to screen makes it better than even a high end intuos. Like, it looks like there is no gap between the pen and the surface you are drawing on.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    And honestly I suspect they will do very little to the pencil until they make the jump to USB-C

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »

the lack of eraser end is annoying, sure... but the UIs on apps that make use of the pen have gotten around that handily.

The latency and immediacy of pen to screen makes it better than even a high end intuos. Like, it looks like there is no gap between the pen and the surface you are drawing on.

It's better for general notes than any other digitizer around, however for higher end drawing skills the Wacom is still king with pressure sensitivity. I do appreciate the long battery and quick charging.

Ziggymon wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »

It's better for general notes than any other digitizer around, however for higher end drawing skills the Wacom is still king with pressure sensitivity. I do appreciate the long battery and quick charging.

Apple hasn't published the pressure sensitivity, but people who have used both say it is comparable to the 1024 or so that the intuos devices use, but with less latency and really fantastic angle tracking.

The reason an intuos is better than an iPad Pro is access to full photoshop/illustrator. Otherwise the pencil is just better.

Mind you, those apps are a big reason to choose Wacom.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    I wound up grabbing an IPad Air 2 for $274 at Best Buy last night. Maybe once the pro has a huge Xmas sale one year I'll be ready to upgrade again. Right now I am happy with the stylus I use to draw. I don't NEED to spend another $100 for the pen.

The upgrade to retina and being able to have 60 layers in Procreate over 16 on my mini is enough for me honestly. Sad I didn't get the larger one, but 32GB is plenty of room for what I want to do. Happy early Xmas to me!

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85