As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX South 2017 BYOC Mega Thread

Platypus KingPlatypus King Registered User regular
edited January 2017 in PAX South
Hello all!

PAX South is in 2 WEEKS and it's time that we get some good ole seating charts going! I am running a bit behind so please don't kill me... Check out the details below and get those requests in! If you wanna be by your friends and play some awesome games, make sure to reserve a section for your computers!

Group Seating Details:
GROUP SEATING OPEN DATE: TODAY!
GROUP SEATING CLOSE DATE: January 24th at midnight PDT

Group Seating Requirements:
  • Your party is considered a group if you have SIX or more people.
  • Groups must pre-register seating assignments prior to PAX, or else seats will be based on first come first serve availability.
  • Requests are taken on a first come, first serve basis.
  • Passes for ALL 3 days of PAX! (recommended to maximize fun, but not a hard requirement)
  • If you have multiple BYOC badges, those count as seats (group members) so if you have 6 BYOC passes in your "group" (regardless the number of physical bodies) you qualify for group seating.

To request group seating, use the seating chart below to choose your seats and email pax_pc@paxsite.com
Include the following information when requesting:
Group Name
Number of People (include handles too)
Desired Location

Seating Chart:
h8g84rt81k1f.png
BYOC Informational Mailer:
Hello!

If you're getting this, that means you have purchased a BYOC spot at PAX South to bring your computer and play on our dedicated network alongside a couple hundred friends you haven't met yet. To help make sure your BYOC festivities go smoothly, we've put together a little information packet for you. If you ever have any questions, feel free to email us at pax_pc@paxsite.com or to help ensure others benefit from your question, post in our forums at http://forums.penny-arcade.com/categories/pax-south.

--- PAX South Badge Registration ---

Your PAX South BYOC badges should already be mailed to you. If you do not have yours please contact registration@paxsite.com or pick them up at WILL CALL.

--- Getting There ---

The BYOC Room is located on the furthest North-West section of the building past the Expo Hall.

You will be allowed to enter the building early, at 8:00am on Friday ONLY, to begin checking in and getting seated. Entry on Saturday, and Sunday begin at 10:00am. If you are driving in, the best way to get in will be through the loading dock which will be open for BYOC Load-in from 8am-noon on Friday. The image below shows how to get there:

http://hw1.pa-cdn.com/pax/resources/south/BYOC Map.png

This is an active loading dock so we have to be strict, you'll only have about 5 minutes of unloading time before we'll need you to park your car.

If you haven't received your badge yet for whatever reason, you'll need to pick it up from Will Call at our Registration Desk in Main Lobby. You'll probably want to leave your computer in the car until you get the badge. If that's impossible for whatever reason, then just bring your rig to the load-in entrance and we'll try to prevent you from having to run around while carrying 50lbs of steel.

If you are walking in with your computer, use the Exhibitor/Media/Medical Pass entrance in front of the Main Lobby to avoid having to wait in a huge line with your rig.

--- Basic LAN Party Information ---

If you've never been to a LAN party, be sure to bring the following equipment:

- BYOC Pass
- Computer
- Monitor (Please no bigger than 27" LCD) and connecting cable
- Keyboard
- Mouse (we recommend wired, just to avoid any potential interference)
- Mouse pad
- Ethernet cable (25 feet should be sufficient)
- Power cables (but no extension cords or power strips. Maximum of two power connected devices)
- Headphones
- Games CDs/DVDs, Windows CD, and backups for other programs you may need to install/reinstall.

We suggest printing off this list checking each item as you pack it. If you end up forgetting something, talk to an Enforcer or BYOC Help Desk and we might be able to help out.

Please update/patch your games before coming to PAX. This includes updating Steam, Impulse, Origin, and such. You will have access to the Internet, but bandwidth is EXTREMELY limited!

Please be sure to enable virus protection on your computer before connecting it to our network. Any computers that are found with a virus will be immediately disconnected from the network until the matter is resolved. We would also like to remind everyone that there is absolutely NO personal network equipment allowed (Switches, routers, WiFi AP’s, etc).

***AGAIN, PATCH YOUR PC BEFORE YOU ARRIVE. WE CANNOT EXPRESS THIS ENOUGH***

The PAX SOUTH BYOC schedule is as follows:

Friday: 8:00am - 11:30pm
Saturday: 10:00am - 11:30pm
Sunday: 10:00am - 6:00pm

--- Tournament Schedule ---

The PC Tournament Schedule can be found on the PAX South website here: http://south.paxsite.com/schedule/category/pc-s

Note these do not include BYOC exclusive events that we'll be peer pressuring you into.

--- BYOC Contests ---

The BYOC staff will be running organized games throughout each day in the games on the list. Some of the activities will have signups ahead of time while others you can just jump in game and join us. Extended descriptions for each of the organized events will be posted on the PAX Forums. Scheduled times will be available on site starting at check-in.

--- Security Information ---

There's a lot more to do at PAX than just play PC games, and we want you to be able to go do all of these things secure in the knowledge that your computer and peripherals are safe and sound. To that end, we put a much higher emphasis on security than most other LAN parties. Before you enter the PAX BYOC area, you will have to quickly register your computer and any monitor you're bringing into the computer area. We've gone to great lengths to keep the security processes in check, and as such, please keep your BYOC badge as visible as possible when entering the room….it’s for your own protection.

While we will make every attempt to keep all equipment in the room safe, be aware that there is little we can do to prevent phones, tablets, portable game consoles, CD's, wads of cash, and other small items from walking off. We strongly suggest you keep such items out of plain view and use some common sense when it comes to your own security. If you're coming with a laptop, we also STRONGLY recommend you invest in a laptop lock. Seriously.

--- Voice Chat Information ---

We will have Discord and Ventrilo servers available for tournaments and public gaming. While we will have the clients available on our file server, it is recommended that you download and install clients before hand.

See you soon, everyone, and we hope you have a great time!

Platypus King on

• David CoffmanDavid Coffman Registered User, PAX Staff regular
    If you have already purchased your 3-day badge for PAX South 2017, but that's not enough for you...if you would also like to have your own personal computer with your own personal plot of table space that belongs to you through PAX, to play your games anytime you would like with other people on a wired local area network, the following link may be relevant to your interests:

https://www.showclix.com/event/pax-south-byoc17

• vade281vade281 Registered User regular
    Are the BYOC computers networked with the non BYOC computers?

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    They are not.

• hobbseltoffhobbseltoff Issaquah, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    zerzhul wrote: »
    They are not.

For Intel LANFest sponsored BYOCs this was not true, they were networked with the PC Freeplay computers. I don't know how the routing worked exactly as I never saw them on BYOC servers but I have definitely played games with people in freeplay in the past. Not sure how it's going to work with the new sponsor though.

hobbseltoff on
    row1.pngrow2.png
    They are not.

For Intel LANFest sponsored BYOCs this was not true, they were networked with the PC Freeplay computers. I don't know how the routing worked exactly as I never saw them on BYOC servers but I have definitely played games with people in freeplay in the past. Not sure how it's going to work with the new sponsor though.
    That makes sense. For non-LANFest years I am almost certain that they were not, though.

That makes sense. For non-LANFest years I am almost certain that they were not, though.

Yeah I didn't see it work that way East or Prime this year but whoever sponsors South could potentially do it.

row1.pngrow2.png
  • macrogeekmacrogeek Registered User regular
    If you're coming to BYOC, now would be a good time to watch holiday sales for popular multiplayer games like CS:GO, Rocket League, etc to go on sale.

• mayapplemayapple TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Do we have a seat selection post yet?

e6txb8m8cavf.png

• taumesontaumeson PAX PC Room Manager Minnesota?Registered User regular
    Group seating will be up soonish. We're in a new location this year and still figuring out seating.

yBfDKg5.png
  • SwaeSwae Registered User regular
    I'm excited to be coming back to BYOC again! I haven't been doing much multiplayer gaming lately - what are some good games I can grab to get ready?

overwatch, civ vi

• AztdkMomAztdkMom Registered User regular
    It's there an age restriction on this section?

I don't *know* of one, but each individual person in BYOC needs their own BYOC pass.

When do we start to setup our PC's?

• chellerschellers New HampshireRegistered User regular
    AztdkMom wrote: »

But please don't abandon your 10 year old without minecraft working to go do the expo hall. That was an awkward few hours.

• macrogeekmacrogeek Registered User regular
    I started bringing my daughter to BYOC when she was 8 or 9. She played a lot of Minecraft, Catlateral Damage, and Goat Simulator. We found it's a great way to give kids a way to cool down when expo is too overwhelming for them or their legs get tired.

vade281 wrote: »
    When do we start to setup our PC's?
    First thing friday morning. There should be more information about this before PAX.

• mayapplemayapple TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Thy didn't require one for my 2 year old at east, hopefully they don't want one for my 4 month old.

e6txb8m8cavf.png

mayapple wrote: »
    Thy didn't require one for my 2 year old at east, hopefully they don't want one for my 4 month old.
    There is a general pax rule that children under a certain age (I think 6? check paxsite) do not require badges. Anyone who requires a normal badge requires a byoc badge to get into byoc.

I was hoping to set up before expo doors open... I want to play that Nintendo switch! Lol

• shimwoodshimwood Registered User regular
    It's not as if the Switch is only going to be there for an hour or two; you'll have plenty of time to stand in line with the rest of us.

khd33hubozxv.png
  • AztdkMomAztdkMom Registered User regular
    chellers wrote: »
    AztdkMom wrote: »

But please don't abandon your 10 year old without minecraft working to go do the expo hall. That was an awkward few hours.

Oh, I wouldn't dream of that! He's 13 now, and even the worst I did last year was leave him in the free play section for about five-minutes so I could run to pee. He's got an anxiety disorder, so I seriously doubt he'd let me abandon him even if I WANTED to. We actually bought my brother a ticket this year so he could accompany him for some of the time to give me a bit of a break AND let my son feel safe wandering with his really cool young uncle instead of his boring old mother! lol!

• ShivinShivin OregonRegistered User regular
    Anything about group registration yet? Maybe I missed the thread.

r3a9obz7nxdg.png
    Soon!

New OP! group registration even!

• BrutacusBrutacus Registered User new member
    It's just going to be a friend and myself at the BYOC. Since we aren't large enough of a group to select our seats ahead of time, do I need to be concerned that we won't get seats next to each other? The specific location in the room isn't important to us.

What is the seat assignment process for groups smaller than six?

Thanks!

Brutacus wrote: »
    It's just going to be a friend and myself at the BYOC. Since we aren't large enough of a group to select our seats ahead of time, do I need to be concerned that we won't get seats next to each other? The specific location in the room isn't important to us.

Thanks!
    It's basically first come first serve for groups too small to do pre-selected seats. I think that the BYOC staff would work pretty hard to ensure groups of 2 could sit together almost all the time. Just make sure you are in the setup line together on Friday morning.

• BrutacusBrutacus Registered User new member
    OK, thanks.

• fiftypeakfiftypeak Registered User regular

Thanks!
    It's basically first come first serve for groups too small to do pre-selected seats. I think that the BYOC staff would work pretty hard to ensure groups of 2 could sit together almost all the time. Just make sure you are in the setup line together on Friday morning.

Is there someplace to get more information about where we are supposed to bring our computers? I've searched the forums and can't seem to find anything discussing the setup line or any other information about setting up our computers.

fiftypeak wrote: »

Thanks!

Is there someplace to get more information about where we are supposed to bring our computers? I've searched the forums and can't seem to find anything discussing the setup line or any other information about setting up our computers.
    I believe it will be posted here and/or sent to all byoc participants. I don't know of anywhere it is currently posted.

• Platypus KingPlatypus King Registered User regular
    @fiftypeak Currently all that information is being figured out. Because we are in a new location this year everything is a little confusing still. When I have the information on where the loading area will be for people to enter I will post here in this thread. Thanks for your patience.

• statton4statton4 Registered User regular
    is it too late to get in on the byoc fun?

@statton4 Nope, you are still able to buy your ticket at https://www.showclix.com/event/pax-south-byoc17

• trebor68trebor68 Orlando, FLRegistered User regular
    What level of security will be in the BYOC area? Will using laptop cable locks be recommended? Are the computers coming into the BYOC area to be tagged and required to remain or risk losing your place if you pack up at the end of the day?

edited January 2017
    trebor68 wrote: »
    What level of security will be in the BYOC area?
    The only people allowed in the BYOC area are people with BYOC badges and Enforcers assigned to the BYOC area. The area is usually fenced off with tables and pipe and drape. Convention center security patrols the PC area after PAX closes.
    Will using laptop cable locks be recommended?
    Yes.
    Are the computers coming into the BYOC area to be tagged and required to remain or risk losing your place if you pack up at the end of the day?
    There will be tags with barcodes and your name affixed to your badge and equipment (similar to other LANs like QuakeCon). All tagged equipment must be checked out when leaving the area and checked back in when brought back. You are assigned a seat when you initially check in and it is yours for the duration of PAX, even if you check out your equipment.

zerzhul on
    row1.pngrow2.png
  • [SAL] VeNoM[SAL] VeNoM Registered User regular
    A couple of us in my group purchased byoc passes after the mailing cut off. Mainly since we couldn't find any links for it on the main site until coming across the forums. Thinking about Friday check-in and hauling down our equipment. Will we be able to drop off our equipment say with our receipt and ID then go get in line at will call for our badges? I'd hate having to run around in crowds with a bunch of people in lines and my large gear to get a badge then haul it around to drop it off. Any suggestions on this?

I believe you must pick up your badges first. @Platypus King can probably answer that better than I can.

edited January 2017
    [SAL] VeNoM, yes we can do that but only during the official check-in friday hours. That will be 2 hours before the doors to the expo hall open at 10 am (so 8am).

Platypus King on
  • [SAL] VeNoM[SAL] VeNoM Registered User regular
    Thank you sir, see y'all there!

How does everyone usually bring their PC in? It seems I'll have to do a tub for components and desktop and a box for the monitor. I may have to get a friend to help carry my stuff in. Does everyone go into the main queue at the beginning of Friday and haul it in with the mad rush? I'm new to this so I'm trying to find the best way to get my PC there in one piece. I'll probably end up ubering at least from the hotel to the convention.