As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

sexy pokemon [chat]

• SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    this situation is so counterintuitive to me. like, i get that plenty of old folks just pass down their homes so some people luck out there. and i get that foreign investors buy pricey real estate as an investment, leading developers to construct only high end properties instead of starter homes. but even so- 400k+ to get a decent house near the habitated part of every major city i'm looking at? that's 160k salary by the rule of thumb.

two entry level engineers together can't buy a house? two cops can't? that's so wild to me. that sucks.

This is why a lot of people wanted to vote for change and why maybe nominating a change ticket or at least giving it a VP slot might've been, i dunno, smart

• Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    Boston has no Michelin star restauraunts which is... sensible really it makes perfect sense. There is not really a high end fine dining culture here at all. Just about a quadrillion middle level places for college students with rich parents.

Man where were you when I was bagging on Boston's food scene and people were trying to give me guff

There's no need to bag on it! Its nice enough. There are blind spots like no mexican food or needing to leave the city for decent indian. It just tops out at $100 per head. After than you're shoveling money into a fire because you certainly aren't getting a better experience for it.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
    Boston has no Michelin star restauraunts which is... sensible really it makes perfect sense. There is not really a high end fine dining culture here at all. Just about a quadrillion middle level places for college students with rich parents.

Man where were you when I was bagging on Boston's food scene and people were trying to give me guff

There's no need to bag on it! Its nice enough. There are blind spots like no mexican food or needing to leave the city for decent indian. It just tops out at $100 per head. After than you're shoveling money into a fire because you certainly aren't getting a better experience for it.

In a week there I only found a bunch of half decent at best places. Might've been where I was (downtown near BPL)

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    this situation is so counterintuitive to me. like, i get that plenty of old folks just pass down their homes so some people luck out there. and i get that foreign investors buy pricey real estate as an investment, leading developers to construct only high end properties instead of starter homes. but even so- 400k+ to get a decent house near the habitated part of every major city i'm looking at? that's 160k salary by the rule of thumb.

two entry level engineers together can't buy a house? two cops can't? that's so wild to me. that sucks.

This is why a lot of people wanted to vote for change and why maybe nominating a change ticket or at least giving it a VP slot might've been, i dunno, smart

idk man i hear all that but the gays and their unfettered rampage- pretty big problem we need to address

idk man i hear all that but the gays and their unfettered rampage- pretty big problem we need to address

They're buying all our houses for their gay wedding presents

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    so I just called the cops on my neighbor

I kinda feel shitty for doing so

but christ she screams profanities on the phone non-stop for about an hour every night sometime between 11pm and 2am

she's probably very mentally ill

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I think that if any of us were perfectly sane, we'd be screaming obscenities during all waking hours.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    Sanity is too hard; we've all abandoned it

Atomika wrote: »

but christ she screams profanities on the phone non-stop for about an hour every night sometime between 11pm and 2am

one of my teen/young adult neighbors always argues with her boyfriend on the phone. she sits in her car right out front of my bedroom, window open because she chain smokes, shrieking at him. usually it gets kind of homophobic.

YOU GONNA RUN AROUND LIKE A LITTLE F****T, WHY DON'T YOU COME TALK TO ME LIKE A MAN YOU FUCKING F****T

it is a real thrill to overhear

• BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    Alazull wrote: »
    Alazull wrote: »
    i think southern food gets a pretty good rap, overall. people poke fun at it being unhealthy with tons of lard and sugar in sweet tea and stuff. and some people go blech pig's feet, or whatever. but i don't think any other part of the country has that sort of acclaim in terms of people saying it tastes good. certain cities have certain individual items- cheesesteaks, fish tacos, whatever- or like, a style of bbq or lobster because of geography. but i think if you put a plate of food in front of a bro and say it's from the pnw he doesn't get excited. you say it's from new england and he says is it lobster or chowder? if not he doesn't get excited. and so on.

maybe restaurant folk are snobs about it but southern food, comfort food, home cooking whatever- it's a big amalgamation of stuff that i think people generally like.

I think the concept I'm trying to get across is that even more open-minded restaurant folk will say something like, "Sure, Southern food is good, but I would never consider it fine dining material."

Because all they can think about is fried chicken and that time they went to Waffle House and had instant grits with their waffle, eggs and bacon. This is why it's been such a deal lately in travel shows, why Anthony Bourdain promotes chefs like Sean Brock. Because not only are they doing something interesting, they are doing something with a food culture that has been so...shall we say underestimated?

I dunno, this is something I've run into a lot in my professional life. You wouldn't believe how hard it was to convince people to run shrimp and grits with seared pork belly and roasted tomato sauce because, "Man, nobody's trying to eat that Southern shit!"

oh, i have no idea how it flies with fine dining. i'll take your word on it. but people definitely want to eat southern food, whether or not serious foodies want it plated with a cane sugar gastrique or whatever.

I mean, the Michelin system of rating is highly opinionated, but check this list.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Michelin_starred_restaurants#United_States

So I mean I'm not saying that none of those places should have Michelin ratings, but really?

Nothing in Charleston, Atlanta, Savannah, Richmond, New Orleans? Places known not only for food, but quality of service and hospitality, things that Michelin is supposed to highly value?

Michelin has a serious hard-on for the old world and Japan.

Getting a star outside of those two places is fuckin' impossible.

in 1980 there were ~220 million people in the US

currently around ~320 million

amount of land remains constant

deflation baby, fuck you if you're not already wealthy

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    @Blameless Cleric

Katniss vs Hermione (played by Molly Quinn from Castle!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9Mv6gXqADM

Aioua wrote: »

are you telling me i'm not actually a displaced millionaire

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular

we have plenty of land. The problem is that people want to cut it down to build 400K houses instead of 150K houses.

The land and population aren't the problem.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »

one of my teen/young adult neighbors always argues with her boyfriend on the phone. she sits in her car right out front of my bedroom, window open because she chain smokes, shrieking at him. usually it gets kind of homophobic.

YOU GONNA RUN AROUND LIKE A LITTLE F****T, WHY DON'T YOU COME TALK TO ME LIKE A MAN YOU FUCKING F****T

it is a real thrill to overhear

this is basically what I'm getting, but at a range of about 5 feet away

• Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited December 2016

In a week there I only found a bunch of half decent at best places. Might've been where I was (downtown near BPL)

That's back bay, kind of a rich people residential area. Never tried to find a place to eat there. China town has some really authentic and good chinese places. Theater district (by the common) has bars and mid level american places (good steaks and burgers, the kind of place you'll find lobster mac and cheese and truffle fries). North end for touristy italian that I like well enough.

Cambridge is home to the real foodie stuff though. You have to cross the river for experimental things and higher end dining. We went to a small plate place last PAX that was super pricy but I was impressed with the menu and quality. And there's plenty of places like that.

Donkey Kong on
    i was kind of banking on donk hitting it big and him keeping me alive with monthly checks to keep me out of the public eye, like a politician's illegitimate kid

Canada has no Michelin star restaurants unsurprisingly

These seems like such a niche and insular thing to conclude your cuisine is persecuted based on

• The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    The Ender wrote: »
    Vancouver's gonna fucked sometime in the near future, though, thanks to an idiot speculation market that nobody seems to be able to deal with even though everyone acknowledges that it's a problem.:|

What? Vancouver's housing market cooled significantly in November.

Yes; the Clark government's foreign investment tax did slow the ridiculous house trading, but that didn't do anything about the impact of said speculation on home equity or leverage that has been cashed-in. Speculators already flushed millions of dollars out of way over-valued property; presumably someone's going to have to make-up that difference sooner or later.

With Love and Courage
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

Availability of land has very little to do with it.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    and by people I mean developers.

We've got ads for five new subdivisions where homes "start at 290K" and that's like the first ten houses out of a hundred.

meanwhile I live in a quiet neighborhood that was built between the 70s and 80s where all the houses are like 150K and I'm happy with my 1200 square feet upstairs, a finished basement, garage, carport, deck, and fenced in back yard.

My buddy though just spent about 350 on a mcMansion you've got to drive 9 miles off the highway to get to and every house around his looks exactly the same.

They had to fill those houses with flat panel tvs and pool tables and hot tubs to get young dual income couples to buy them. I mean good for him, but my shit will be paid off in 12 years.

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular

Meanwhile, the UK has 64 million people crammed into a country the size of Alabama

• credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    a
    "Blameless Cleric"

Katniss vs Hermione (played by Molly Quinn from Castle!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9Mv6gXqADM

yesssssss this is amazing thanks for posting

Steam, LoL: credeiki
    Burnage wrote: »

Meanwhile, the UK has 64 million people crammed into a country the size of Alabama

no wonder they get all stabby.

i was kind of banking on donk hitting it big and him keeping me alive with monthly checks to keep me out of the public eye, like a politician's illegitimate kid

I know it was a really big blow to your plan when I came out publically. Sorry.

i don't care about the size. i don't need 3,000 sqft. i don't need a half acre. i just like a modern interior (hardwood, nice cabinets, good looking counters, lots of glass etc).

i wonder how much it would cost to upgrade a forty year old house to modern sensibilities.

we have plenty of land. The problem is that people want to cut it down to build 400K houses instead of 150K houses.

The land and population aren't the problem.

not really

I mean yeah we have lots of land, but not land people want to live on. We've done as much sprawl as is reasonable. To get ok prices if you have to live a two-hour commute from work.

the jobs still cluster closely to cities

around here a 3-bed 1-bath rambler from the '60s is still 350k, because the land is worth far more than the building

it's definitely a problem when new construction is all mcmansions but if there were more mcmansions than people willing to buy them they'd crater

and as the pops get denser there are more and more people able (or think they're able) to afford those houses

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Don't worry, with Trump as president the economy will crash and land will become extremely cheap. /cries

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
    dont get me wrong. when the house is paid off, or mostly so, I WILL spend 400K, but that will be after I've sold my house at a nice profit and that 400 will be 200 for 20-50 acres and 200 for a nice house to go on it so my wife can tolerate living in the woods.

Cambiata wrote: »
    Don't worry, with Trump as president the economy will crash and land will become extremely cheap. /cries

don't get my hopes up like this!

• The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    third time that trailer has been posted

still a pleasant surprise

With Love and Courage
    There are no words for my attraction to molly quinn

dear god

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular

iono I feel like it's self-reinforcing

the american michelin judges only go to chicago, new york, and LA

so the michelin quality chefs only go to those cites

meanwhile the east asia michelin judges are giving out stars to food carts

There's a lot of younger "Famous" chefs that have made their way to smaller big cities like Nashville and the like. We've got a couple of Top Chef finalists here that have opened little restaurants and are doing the food truck thing because they didn't want the big city food critic hassle.

There are accomplished and talented chefs scattered across the country

But they all know they aren't going to get a Michelin star unless they relocate to NYC because the US judges are provincial as fuck

fuck gendered marketing
    we all know the economy will crash but like, in the regular way where if you manage to keep your job, anything you actually want to buy is still prohibitively expensive

Elldren wrote: »

iono I feel like it's self-reinforcing

the american michelin judges only go to chicago, new york, and LA

so the michelin quality chefs only go to those cites

meanwhile the east asia michelin judges are giving out stars to food carts

There's a lot of younger "Famous" chefs that have made their way to smaller big cities like Nashville and the like. We've got a couple of Top Chef finalists here that have opened little restaurants and are doing the food truck thing because they didn't want the big city food critic hassle.

There are accomplished and talented chefs scattered across the country

But they all know they aren't going to get a Michelin star unless they relocate to NYC because the US judges are provincial as fuck

I don't disagree, I'm saying a lot of them probably don't want one. They want to make good food and be locally famous and have a nice income and just be happy doing what they love.

capricious youth and all.

I don't think we're in for the next great depression, but I think we're in for "the country (the lower middle class and up) is going to realize they don't need as much shit as they think they do"

yeah basically outside of like, france and japan for some reason

having a michelin star means your a good restaurant

but not having one doesn't mean you're a bad restaurant

There are no words for my attraction to molly quinn

dear god

i googled her and was marveling for a minute. just, considering as i sometimes do how life must be to be that ridiculous looking

and then i logged into facebook and saw that one of my basically-supermodel coworkers changed her profile pic to an old timey actress holding a cigarette while a dozen guys lean in from every angle trying to light it for her

hotdogs.gif

This discussion has been closed.