As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

No Point In Giving Me Advice, Why Can't You Just [Let It Die]

Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually...{They/Them}Registered User regular
edited December 2016 in Social Entropy++
r102n0scztzo.jpg

"Senpai, it's me, Uncle Death! I'm here to help you through Let It Die! It's the best game ever made!

Probably!"

Let It Die is a weird spin on Souls combat mixed in with rougelike deaths and weapon/armor expendability like a Dead Rising or survival game all wrapped up in Suda51's drug trip ascetic. It's free to play on PS4 and has a pretty decent microtransaction model (you can pay for instant-revives to keep your gear and character, but you also earn them in-game). Whenever you die, you need to either resurrect or track down your now-feral body with a different character and murder the shit out of it to recover not only the gear but the character as well.

Your dead character also infects others games like invaders in a Souls game to present tougher enemies, and you can likewise send AI controlled extra characters to hunt down other players to kill and rob them, and there's a weird turf war sort of multiplayer where you can invade others Waiting Rooms to steal coins and SPLithium from them. You can also steal characters defending the Waiting Room to convert into your own characters, though I think they're copies and not actual player characters. Both the defending the Waiting Room and potential of having to kill your dead characters means you should always keep a roster of evenly-leveled characters so you have good defenses and don't have to kill your high leveled main character with a level 1.

Also you can melt a guy's facemeat off with an iron.

It's fucking weird!

Handy Game Tips:

-You can increase the character inventory and currency limits via the Invasion Metro thing's menu after you beat Coen, the first mini-boss.

-Save blueprints and materials, as you unlock weapons and armor to unlock via a vendor and can increase the potency of them by R&Ding them multiple times.

-New character tiers unlock over time, and they have certain specializations like more inventory slots or certain stats prioritized. Higher tiers of characters also increase the level cap.

-The Magistrate lets you increase the potency of food/beasts and mushrooms, and any of the 50k decals you purchase from her persist after character death.

-Masteries (your proficiency with weapons that add stuff like alternate attacks) carry across all characters

-Also, don't quit the game outside the Waiting Room, cause it counts as a death, which is the only big error with the game.

Mx. Quill on

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I love Suda51's brand of insanity.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I'm hoping I have some time to play this game tonight.

• BillyIdleBillyIdle What does "katana" mean? It means "Japanese sword."Registered User regular
    I like this game, but I'm terrible at it. What do?

PSN: BillyIdle_
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    For the most part, it seems the correct choice on death is just drop the coins you've been looting into recovering them.

Still good to use many slots, and theres some kind of classes thing going anyways.

You can expand your maximum meatbags and currency limits from the invasion menu too.

The main things that are cross-character are weapon masteries (hit harder, get new moves, etc) and the shop, which lets you unlock and buy stuff to bring on runs.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Oh, you increase the Meat Bag and currency limits at the Invasion Metro menu? I'd heard it increases after you beat the first mid-boss, but I wasn't sure how.

Added a helpful tips section to the OP to reflect this.

Mx. Quill on
    edited December 2016
    Yeah. It's important because you need the first currency upgrade to be able to afford the permanent decals.

Polaritie on
  • One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    I wanted to make this thread and title it "There will be an answer, [Let It Die]"

Also this game seems fun and kinda super weird and I want to spend more time with it

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2016
    Remember if you enjoy the humor and insanity of this game, make sure to check out Shadows of the Damned starring Garcia Fucking Hotspur

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Just learned this via the chat in the live Bombcast: the level cap of your Fighters increases based on the Grade of the Fighter. So all the starting ones will max out at 25, and to get beyond that you need Grade 2s.

To get Grade 2:
    beat the tenth level.

Mx. Quill on
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Yeah I believe tier 2s unlock after you beat the boss on level 10?

liEt3nH.png
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I just learned from the Bombcast that MARK HAMILL AND BILLY DEE WILLIAMS ARE IN THIS GAME??

6F32U1X.png
  • One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I just learned from the Bombcast that MARK HAMILL AND BILLY DEE WILLIAMS ARE IN THIS GAME??

Apparently Mark Hamill is the narrator (not Uncle Death, I think, just the dude who says LET IT DIE when you boot it up) and Billy Dee Williams is one of the player characters

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3803984/

the game's cast is good

and it's made even better by the fact that the only character who speaks often, Uncle Death, is a Finnish tv writer???

liEt3nH.png
    I played for a little bit. I did the intro, and picked a second character, and explored the waiting room, and got some presents.

I don't understand how to save.

I read the Bible thing, and it said go back to the waiting room, and then select return to title on the options menu, but I don't see that option.

i don't see how because the option is literally always there even when you're in the dungeon instead of the waiting room

liEt3nH.png
    edited December 2016
    Maybe I need to die once with my second character.

Edit

Nope

I had to
    Kill my first character and make it through the first level to the elevator.

DouglasDanger on
    Wow, this game is weird

Also, what's the deal with
    The game being a game inside a game?

• PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    I haven't played long but here's what I think you might want to do?
    I'm terrible and can't beat the second floor.

I think you should do the first floor, use the elevator to go to lobby, level up, and repeat until you have good stats and equipment. turn in blueprints, sell stuff, level up, might get you a good foundation to play more.

I tried to keep going without using the elevator and got all my characters killed and had to use 5k+ to retrieve them each, which is a much worse use of resources

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    It certainly helps to get accustomed to Souls combat, but the stamina "meter" (aka your heart) seems more forgiving. Seems like you can pull off more attacks before backing off in this than a Souls game.

Also every encounter has to be approached with much more caution since revives are tied to the F2P aspect.

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Wow, this game is weird

Also, what's the deal with
    The game being a game inside a game?

Suda 51 loves weird shit

2x39jD4.jpg
    Yeah, I love Suda51 games, but I could go for a little more information

Unless I missed a balloon note, I didn't see anything about the stamina meter

It's cool that it's represented by your character's heart glowing through their body and clothes, but it's obtuse

When you pay to recover a character you get back the money they had picked up. So it can be straight profit.

This sure seems like a game you need to sink some serious time into to really get it

• Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    Been playing this all afternoon. It's Suda and it's fun.

Got 3 bodies lvl 26, and had a good run to a couple of areas.

If your starting, run lvl 1 a couple of times and use the weapons you can. Getting the blueprints done is handy because you can just repurchase the item once it's been researched.

Fireworks seemed lame until I unlocked the chain ability and it's way more useful as a weapon.

Haven't tried multiplayer yet. Have spent some death metal on extra storage because having room is handy for mats.

• DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    Yeah, I love Suda51 games, but I could go for a little more information

Unless I missed a balloon note, I didn't see anything about the stamina meter

It's cool that it's represented by your character's heart glowing through their body and clothes, but it's obtuse

I think there's either a note or narration by Uncle Death when you fight two people at the same time in the tutorial about the heart and dizzy status

I played some more of this game last night and got to the second set of elevators. Still fun, but man having to go back to the waiting room to save and quit is a real asspain

• RanCiel810RanCiel810 Registered User regular
    Do later levels have different level styles? Like an office, or a mall, or a space station, etc. Or is it remixed sewers all the way up?

OUlH7J8.jpg
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Just started this up and ran through the first floor a couple times

I totally just killed Fearghaill

edited December 2016
    So different elevators are in between some levels and escalators branch both right and left up as well on the map.

Killing the bosses open shutters in other areas that you have may have passed.

Killed the first two bosses, first one is easy, second one is a massive pain in the ass.

Edit:
    Once you open lvl 4 you access the online TDM/Raid waiting room. Not tried it yet but you upgrade your bank etc in that zone.

Genji-Gloves on
    So different elevators are in between some levels and escalators branch both right and left up as well on the map.

Killed the first two bosses, first one is easy, second one is a massive pain in the ass.

I'd like to know how to increase my bank amount beyond 40k though.

It's in the multiplayer menu after you beat the boss on level 3

liEt3nH.png
    edited December 2016
    Woo, finally saved up the 50k to buy mushroom soup.

Got mosquito tat. 3% life drain whenever I hurt anything. Yes, I do like having this permanently (the soup is random tat, but you don't lose it on death or anything).

Raiding is stupid easy cash though. I have maxed out hammer. Buy hammer from shop for a bit over 3k... proceed to clobber people for 2.5-3k coins per raid, most people have all of one defender, and even level 25s can't take much more than 3-4 hits from me (because of that sexy, sexy 61% bonus damage from rank 20 hammer).

Polaritie on
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    How do you raise the kill coin limit, anyway?

Maddoc wrote: »
    How do you raise the kill coin limit, anyway?

I'd like to know how to increase my bank amount beyond 40k though.

It's in the multiplayer menu after you beat the boss on level 3

Oh, hah whoops

Anyway I guess I'm just about there then, I just unlocked the elevator on 3 before stopping

Yeah so raiding is cool, not sure about the defense options because I'm plowing through defenders with my hammer/magnum combo.

Had two raids with opponents in better gear and the hammer just tore them to pieces. Not sure if I want to put some fighters on defense detail when it's easy to beat the AI with a hammer like this.

Do you lose anything for being raided?

Yes. A portion of the raid rewards come out of the target's funds.

Has anyone made it to floor 10 or higher? If so, where you do you go after the second boss? I hear you also need to backtrack down to go up?

Has anyone made it to floor 10 or higher? If so, where you do you go after the second boss? I hear you also need to backtrack down to go up?

Floor 10 is the first proper boss. The previous ones are minibosses, and there's a real difference.

But getting past 10 you can do without ever going down, though there are side paths you have to go down to open up and such.

Guess who just reached Floor 11 and the second environment? (Also, unlocked grade 2 fighters, which have significantly higher base stats... like... comparable to my maxed out grade 1)

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    This game is kinda cool? Got through the first level and killed @Farangu 's dude in a tunnel?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork