As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Sysadmin] Go to the new thread now, dog.

SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgradeRegistered User regular
Below is a compilation of links we've found to be helpful for Sys Admins (capitalized because we're important, like a towel):

AntiVirus/AntiMalware Tools:
Networking Tools:
Miscellaneous Tools:
  • APC Power Estimator - estimates your power needs based on devices, which you can specify
  • Dependency Walker - scans modules and builds a hierarchical dependency tree
  • Greenshot -- Screenshot + utilies
  • HJSplit -- Split/Join files
  • Jing - Screenshot + utilities
  • Notepad++ -- Enhanced Notepad (e.g., color coding)
  • WinDirStat -- File space analysis
  • HTAccess Redirect Generator -- Generate Redirects
  • Hostsman Manage Multiple Hosts files from one utility.
  • PC Decrapifier inventories all the bloatware (HP/Dell Utilities, etc) on a PC based on user-driven feedback and recommendations and removes them sans-uninstallers. Great for cleaning useless shit off out-of-the-box PCs.
  • Recuva undelete software that restores deleted files, as well as files on damaged or freshly formatted drives. Paid corporate licensing but free for personal use wink wink nudge nudge.
  • NirSoft has utilities to do nearly anything you want to do from sniffing passwords out of FTP/HTTP/SMTP traffic on your network to editing Outlook NK2 Autocomplete files to retrieving your Windows/Office product key to a nice viewer for BSOD minidump files.
  • Screen Connect Free Use this to create a free tech support portal for yourself for personal use.

Printer Configuration tools:

0amLr1Ul.png

Ransomware/Cryptoware information sheet

Stress Relief Tools:

...more to come

last updated 1.26.2017

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
Seidkona on

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    nou

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    I feel like having unfi equipment sitting in a box because I don't have the time to do the install yet is some kind of horrible assault on the Universe.

Seidkona on
  • twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    you could always just take the install guide out and read it

• BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    The tool list is missing something.....some kind of tool to beat printers to death and intimidate users.

Bigity wrote: »
    The tool list is missing something.....some kind of tool to beat printers to death and intimidate users.

0amLr1Ul.png

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    *prints out first post on new wide format printer*

• ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »
    I feel like having unfi equipment sitting in a box because I don't have the time to do the install yet is some ind of horrible assault on the Universe.

Intentional or not, there's a pun in there, and you should be ashamed of yourself.

Twitch: Thawmus83
    Thawmus wrote: »
    I feel like having unfi equipment sitting in a box because I don't have the time to do the install yet is some ind of horrible assault on the Universe.

Intentional or not, there's a pun in there, and you should be ashamed of yourself.

I feel no shame.

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I've posted this before, but I think it's warranted again. Jump to 6:24 when the timestamp link fails to work:

https://youtu.be/FrbQqh0rBIo?t=384

• CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    This is sort of a handy thing, maybe for our utility list. https://virustotal.com/

You can upload a file up to 128mb, or give it a URL to check, or do a search from their site for a domain or IP, and it'll scan it for Virii. The URL scanning is especially useful.

Oh yeah, and HostsMan is super awesome for mass managing hosts files from one utility.

OP updated.

We were talking about Screenconnect the other day.

They made a free non-commercial version for if you want to use it to help out friends or family remotely.

https://www.screenconnect.com/free/

this is perfect, thank you

edited December 2016
    I also just ordered 3x used CISCO routers and 2x switches for my home lab out of my bonus.

The least this shit heap can do is help me leave it for greener pastures.

Edit: I thought about making a home lab thread but that's so niche as to not think it'd actually get much interest. So instead I'll just occasionally regale you fine folks with my home game edition adventures.

Seidkona on
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    I also just ordered 3x used CISCO routers and 2x switches for my home lab out of my bonus.

Edit: I thought about making a home lab thread but that's so niche as to not think it'd actually get much interest. So instead I'll just occasionally regale you fine folks with my home game edition adventures.

https://www.netacad.com/about-networking-academy/packet-tracer/

packet tracer is pretty fabulous for a virtual lab....

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
    mojojoeo wrote: »

https://www.netacad.com/about-networking-academy/packet-tracer/

packet tracer is pretty fabulous for a virtual lab....

Packet tracer is great. I use it along with VIRL.

I just thought it'd be good to have some actual hardware to put my hands on.

edited December 2016
    Company Xmas party.

Almond crusted cranberry chicken with champagne butter sauce.

Holy shit.

Also there's prizes. Theres a drone. Hope I get drawn early.

Cog on
    Got a huge leather beanbag chair last year. The owners buy awesome gifts.

I got drawn 4th (out of about 35).

Drone get.

• SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    Cog wrote: »
    I got drawn 4th (out of about 35).

Drone get.

You really put the FU in 'fun'.

;)

• wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    yesterday I emailed the office furniture person that the seat tilt on my chair was broken. It wouldn't stay in a locked position so it felt like I was falling forward.

Today, she brought me a brand new office chair, right out of the plastic. At my old job they *might* have found me a slightly less broken chair.

This feels like Christmas.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    bowen wrote: »

Spend 2 hours figuring out the Powershell to change the AD account name, AD display name, and SMTP alias for each user, abandon the idea of renaming computers because why are your computers named after users anyway, spend 18 hours sending out resumes and dicking around on forums. Shit in boss's desk.

TL DR on
    TL DR wrote: »

Spend 2 hours figuring out the Powershell to change the AD account name, AD display name, and SMTP alias for each user, abandon the idea of renaming computers because why are your computers named after users anyway, spend 18 hours sending out resumes and dicking around on forums. Shit in boss's desk.

yeah I Stopped naming computers after 5 people left in 4 months

My new place names computers after users. One project on my docket for next year is to implement a new/better imaging system, and you can bet your ass that that is one of the first things out the door.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Can you rename PCs easily across a domain through AD or PS or something? I know I can do it via LabTech but it's never come up otherwise.

Can you rename PCs easily across a domain through AD or PS or something? I know I can do it via LabTech but it's never come up otherwise.

I'd be afraid to. My plan is to just do it as a long term thing as machines get replaced.

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    Yeah, ours are just named after the service tag number.

edited December 2016
    wunderbar wrote: »

I'd be afraid to. My plan is to just do it as a long term thing as machines get replaced.

then you end up in wierd middle limbo where half the machines have the new fancy names and half the old and everyone but you is confused.

Don't you?

Seidkona on
  • DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    ... everyone but you is confused.

You say that like that's a novel situation.

• JesDerJesDer Registered User regular
    The Powershell command is Rename-Computer .. Not that I have used it.

I thought about getting away from using a user's name for their computer, but I decided to use <Location>-<First initial><Last name> the last hardware refresh we preformed. The names have no effect on the users, but using something like service tag means I would need to lookup the name when needed and that sounds like work. I guess if i was dealing with a large number of users I would use a better pattern, but for now I am gonna be lazy.

wunderbar wrote: »

then you end up in wierd middle limbo where half the machines have the new fancy names and half the old and everyone but you is confused.

Don't you?

Honestly it doesn't come up as an issue. Users won't notice/know generally, and from an IT/sysadmin standpoint you can live with it and work around it.

• donavannjdonavannj Registered User regular
    Yeah mixed naming schemes isn't an issue. As long as you're committed to the one you're changing to.
    We were talking about Screenconnect the other day.

They made a free non-commercial version for if you want to use it to help out friends or family remotely.

https://www.screenconnect.com/free/

BRB registering now.

steam_sig.png
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Harold tells us that the institution has a simple scheme to allocate user names for staff: someone called John Brian Smith gets the user name “JBS”. Someone called John Smith, but with no middle name, is “JSM” - the first letter from their first name and the first two from the surname.

This scheme works well, Harold tells us, because it avoids duplicates.

uhh

I mean... for now...

yeah I use 3 letter initial and we've already run into issues with 2 of them (for a stamp system)

• RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    We do FI+LName(7), then if there's a conflict FI+MI+LName(6), then FName(2)+LName(6). My user add script handles all of that, and kicks out an error if none of those work. We've had to go to that last step a couple times out of maybe 900-950 users we've created. My next step would be to start adding numbers, I guess, but we're not really hiring anyone right now (we are down to 688 from a peak of around 890).

All in all, if I had my choice, it would be FI+MI+LName with some longer length max.

I personally just prefer firstname.lastname as uernames. I worked somewhere where a legacy system required max 7 characters as a username, so we used fi+first 6 of last name, Where i am now it goes fi+lastname

• RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    Yeah, our scheme is based on the limitation of the first computer account people got: the AS/400. Funny thing is, though, AS/400 usernames can be 9 characters... In fact, my original boss had a 9-char username across all systems, and she would have been the second user added to the AS/400. We've had half a dozen chances to change it, but we haven't done it.

This discussion has been closed.