As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Last Jedi Teaser can be seen right now in the [Star Wars] thread

• polaris415polaris415 Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

This is the first Rogue One review I've read and it will probably remain the best one after I read more

I keep laughing at this headline from Vox. The series is called Star WARS. So glad that Vox concludes that Film #8 is about war.

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    polaris415 wrote: »
    This is the first Rogue One review I've read and it will probably remain the best one after I read more

I keep laughing at this headline from Vox. The series is called Star WARS. So glad that Vox concludes that Film #8 is about war.
    And on the other hand, people are mocking Vox's headline mercilessly when it only takes about 3 seconds of critical thinking to get what they meant

none of those movies are actually about war and this one is, this is not a difficult concept to understand

6F32U1X.png
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    Captain Tarpals? I devoured Episode 1 trivia in the leadup to that movie.

Actually had a good death scene too.

Wasn't that largely a pointless death since they had to release grevious?

Well yeah, but that didn't make the Anakin Dooku duels any less cool for example.

Plus, it was more that they took a joke character from the prequels and stacked him up against a heavy hitter warlord, and actually won, although he died in the process. And it felt earned.

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Cross posting a bit to make myself feel better and spread joy;

I don't know exactly when I get to see Rogue One so I'll just watch stuff like this for the foreseeable future.

https://youtu.be/8pg1obK0Qfo

• Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    The movies have often had little humanizing moments, more for allies than enemies, but things like showing the internal shot of the TIE wingman's cockpit when Han ambushed him and Vader at the end of Episode IV. The movies were never rapid-fire about killing named characters, but people definitely died, and even the Clones, meant as disposable soldiers, got a few humanizing moments.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    lucas' vision of war has been incredibly childish, and I'm gonna go ahead and play my Have Been in Actual War card on this one

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Mr Khan wrote: »
    The movies have often had little humanizing moments, more for allies than enemies, but things like showing the internal shot of the TIE wingman's cockpit when Han ambushed him and Vader at the end of Episode IV. The movies were never rapid-fire about killing named characters, but people definitely died, and even the Clones, meant as disposable soldiers, got a few humanizing moments.

I wouldn't label "showing an indistinguishable masked pilot inside a ship" a "humanizing moment."

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Star Wars is a space fairy tale where the good guys win simply because they're good. It was never about war in the way that something like Saving Private Ryan is, regardless of its title.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8bqACUrLDA

I love their take on Kylo Ren as a total dork so much.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    3 hours and 40 minutes

i haven't read any of the reviews yet, but i'm still looking forward to it

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    It's over 3 hours long?

edited December 2016
    Brainleech wrote: »
    It's over 3 hours long?

oh no i'm just excitedly counting down until i see it yeah no sorry

edit: i'm v excited

Lalabox on
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    The total feature runtime is 2 hours, 13 minutes, 46 seconds, with the credits beginning at 2:05:32 and the crawl beginning at 2:07:02.

Starts in 5 mins or so

Not as energetic as ep 7 midnight, but there were still some cool people dressed up, like a bunch of cool ladies dressed up as Rey, Leia and stormtroopers.

There's also someone in an elaborate Chicken Walker outfit.

edited December 2016
    I can only see 6 lightsabers being waved about by the audience

Edit: OH MY GOD THERE'S AN ADORABLE 7 YEAR OLD GIRL DRESSED AS POE

Edit: she came second to the AT-ST in the costume competition

Lalabox on
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Hello everyone.

I have did a Star Wars.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Wait am I the first person in the thread to see it?

This has never happened to me.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    polaris415 wrote: »

And on the other hand, people are mocking Vox's headline mercilessly when it only takes about 3 seconds of critical thinking to get what they meant

none of those movies are actually about war and this one is, this is not a difficult concept to understand

4 and 5 are absolutely about the struggles of guerrilla warfare

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    So a spoilery detail about the movie that I am very, very unsure of
    Grand Moff Tarkin is a major character in the movie

But they didn't recast, it is a completely CG recreation of Peter Cushing

hmm, don't think i like that

don't think I like anything about that

I still mostly hear that this is mostly a cameo

Yep that was way good

Grey Ghost wrote: »

it's there and it's kinda weird

edited December 2016
    So, non-spoilery thoughts first:

I love the new movies' aesthetic. So much of the set and environment feels so tangible, and they have characters and objects interact in ways that we've never seen before, but feel like natural extensions of what we already know

The characters are pretty good, although I wish they'd done more with them. They don't have quite the chemistry I wish they had, and it's a profound change from ep 7, although the stories are doing very different things I guess

It is downright gorgeous at times

And now assorted spoiler thoughts:
    So, they do a fantastic job at establishing just how terrifying the death star is while still not getting to the "we're destroying an entire planet" level.

I kinda wish that the movie had been a more confident with killing its characters off almost senselessly. Everyone's deaths are so signposted, and most everyone gets to be cradled and say their goodbyes before they die. I get that this isn't saving private ryan or anything, but by the last few times it was getting a little old

Donnie Yen and Jiang Wen make a really cute couple

HOLY SHIT SO MANY PEOPLE DIE

the overall message and theme of standing up and continuing to fight was real good

HOLY SHIT DARTH VADER (he kinda sounded like a chump when he was talking, and didn't look quite as good, but then at the end...)

the cameos and such are pretty small, and the film stands on its own for the most part, although one or two of the lines are quite clunky. Jimmy Smits' line about a friend especially.

The CGI characters (Tarking and Leia) look a bit weird. Tarkin in particular moves a bit weird in his first scene, but then I got into it.

Leia's "we're on a diplomatic mission" bit in episode 4 is now retrospectively such a bald-faced lie that no-one could possibly ever believe, considering. "oh yeah, we're on a diplomatic mission FROM THAT ACTIVE WARZONE THAT YOU LITERALLY JUST SAW US FLEEING FROM". I don't think this is at all a negative, i just find it kinda funny.

I wish they had done more with Forest Whitaker's character because it's an interesting perspective that isn't explored much at all

Edit: one last thing: It's REAL WEIRD to introduce one of your main characters murdering an informant in cold blood just so he doesn't rat you out, when he is CLEARLY willing to put his own life at risk to pass on information

Lalabox on
    Lalabox wrote: »
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

it's there and it's kinda weird
    "So we found the Uncanny Valley" was my first sentence after the movie.

Over all I really liked it! I LOVED LOVED LOVED the world building and the settings and the last scene was fucking awesome. In fact my big complaint apart from whoa-that-Tarkin stems from not feeling that the characters' friendships were well developed in the first act, or that Jyn's competencies (or any reason to follow her as a leader rather than just involve her) were soundly established. The second half was great, I just wish it had been built on more. Which is funny, because Force Awakens had its own faults but specifically I feel did character and character relationships well.

Weirdly enough this is sort of how I felt about Doctor Strange as well.

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Uh, this movie FUCKING ruled.

I am pretty sure it is better than Force Awakens.

I am going to see it again pretty much immediately.

I am not gonna say a word, not even in spoiler tags.

But holy fucking shit, this movie was great.

It took a little bit to get rolling, but I do not think "spellbound" would be an inappropriate description of my emotional state for the last hour or so.

edited December 2016
    Pretty much every review I've seen said the action is the best in the series so far. It's full on total war.

Excited!

manwiththemachinegun on
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Planning on seeing rogue one this weekend. I can do regular viewing or 3D. It wouldn't be any special 3D. So should I do 3D or nah?

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    So I really enjoyed this for a lot of reasons, most of them pretty spoilery. It doesn't completely escape that feeling of being an intro to the kind of "a Star Wars story" projects, but it serves as a really great way of saying "these will probably all be pretty great". I like it for a lot of pretty spoilery reasons though so I won't go too much into it. Looks gorgeous, and doesn't get too dark or grim, but deals with some themes that are definitely more "hefty" than the usual Star Wars fare. It still fundamentally understands that we're in the universe to have fun and go on adventures though which was a relief to me

For me I wouldn't say it's better than force awakens, just different, same super high quality though definitely

Prohass on
  • GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    Loved it.
    You know how everyone watching episode one for the first time got a huge joy-boner when Darth Maul busted out the dual-lightsaber to duel of the fates knowing shit was about to go down?
    Yeah that was nothing compared to the Vader cutting down rebels left right and centre like a force of nature

Also on a personal level watching Y-wings finally get a badass moment by taking out a Star Destroyer made me pretty happy

GaryO wrote: »
    Loved it.
    You know how everyone watching episode one for the first time got a huge joy-boner when Darth Maul busted out the dual-lightsaber to duel of the fates knowing shit was about to go down?
    Yeah that was nothing compared to the Vader cutting down rebels left right and centre like a force of nature

Also on a personal level watching Y-wings finally get a badass moment by taking out a Star Destroyer made me pretty happy
    watching one Star Destroyer slowly scythe into another Star Destroyer was AWESOOOOOME

RUVCwyu.jpg
    Loved it.

watching one Star Destroyer slowly scythe into another Star Destroyer was AWESOOOOOME
    The space battles in general were super amazing, but that one scene was fantastic

Planning on seeing rogue one this weekend. I can do regular viewing or 3D. It wouldn't be any special 3D. So should I do 3D or nah?

I wouldn't think there was too much that 3D would add to

This isn't a spoiler for the movie so I'm taking it out of the spoilers to comment - if anybody's got beef with that let me know:

I know what you mean but seriously this is so intrinsically linked in my brain to the immediate blowback from the actual fight sucking so bad, that I'm rereading your sentence and getting depressed about it still.

OH MAN DUEL OF THE FATES

OH MAN DARTH MAUL

oh i guess he's dead now and so is qui-gon. okay.
    okay movie.
    huh.

At least today I can remedy my sadness by watching this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0qH2IaSjEU

RUVCwyu.jpg
    To be fair, I can't recall anyone actively hating that fight when it first came out. It was only later, as the successive films got worse and worse, some people (myself included) began to grow tired of "Jedi ballet" and wanted a return to more classical, or more brutal, fencing. Others like Prequel combat so eh.

To be fair, I can't recall anyone actively hating that fight when it first came out. It was only later, as the successive films got worse and worse, some people (myself included) began to grow tired of "Jedi ballet" and wanted a return to more classical, or more brutal, fencing. Others like Prequel combat so eh.

Guess it was just me at the time then :razz:

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    The fight in The Phantom Menace is the best. 90% of it is the incredible music. But I particularly like the pauses in the fight created by the laser shields. No other fight comes close.

Maybe blind guy in Rogue One might have a scene as cool. Maybe. But it won't have better music.

Lalabox wrote: »

I wouldn't think there was too much that 3D would add to

Thanks. I'll opt for the 2d most likely. Can't wait!

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    So a few questions about rogue (spoilers do not click unless you've seen it)
    the alderaan guy who was in the prequels, he's meant to be roughly the same age as obi wan right? Because it kind of threw me because he looks quite young, so I assume he's meant to be the same age as Alec guiness was for new hope, give or take a few years? Maybe the actor is older than he looks, I'm pretty sure he was older than Ewan McGregors obi wan in the prequels so it just kind of confused me. But it might be a case of them not looking their age

Edit: after googling it looks like they've kind of fudged the age of obi wan from the prequels since it doesn't really match Alec guiness's actual age. Okay wow, googled more, if you go by Alec's age and not the character, he was 63 when he played obi wan, and the actor who plays leias foster father character (jimmy smits) is 61. Damn, he's aged well.

Also the timeline with the plans confused me, they didn't really explain why the plans weren't beamed to all other rebel ships before they hyper spaced out, im assuming it's like a tech jargon limitation macguffin for story and excitement purposes?

Prohass on
    Jimmy Smitts is a sexy, sexy man, and it is bullshit how little he was used in the Prequels.

He is like the only thing from the prequels that doesn't make me angry on sight.

• SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    I just got home from the theater quite disappointed.

The screening was cancelled because people can't handle snowfall 'round these parts. Now I have no idea when I'm going to get around to seeing it.

This discussion has been closed.