As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX South 2017 Information, FAQ, and Q&A Thread (Ask Questions Here!)

• ArulEllaArulElla Registered User new member
    edited August 2016
    I'm going to be going to PAX South for the first time ever, but I also have claustrophobia and am extremely nerdy and socially awkward. Will there be a few open spaces here and there for me to breathe, or what should I expect?
    Are there also a few must(probably should) bring? (water, TP, things to wait in line with)

Also, will YouTubers like Markiplier, Jacksepticeye, Danisnotonfire, PewDiePie, etc, be there as well?

ArulElla on
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    ArulElla wrote: »
    I'm going to be going to PAX South for the first time ever, but I also have claustrophobia and am extremely nerdy and socially awkward. Will there be a few open spaces here and there for me to breathe, or what should I expect?
    The building itself has a fairly open floorplan, but there will certainly be crowded areas. Your best bet if you find things are getting to stressful for you would probably be the AFK Room
    Are there also a few must(probably should) bring? (water, TP, things to wait in line with)
    That and a portable battery pack would probably be the bare minimum.
    Also, will YouTubers like Markiplier, Jacksepticeye, Danisnotonfire, PewDiePie, etc, be there as well?
    Content varies from year to year. Markiplier has been to multiple PAXen, but that's not a guarantee that they will be at future shows. Your best bet would be to ask them directly.

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • The AviatrixThe Aviatrix Registered User regular
    Some things to add...

No matter where you are or when, if at any time you feel overwhelmed or need help finding a nearby place to take a break, please ask an enforcer (orange shirts) for assistance. Enforcers are there to help and want everybody to have a great time.

You can always go outside for fresh air :D The riverwalk is near the convention center, so you can walk on a rather nice path. (It does get crowded in evenings though.)
    There's a new addition to the convention center this year. Unfortunately that means I cannot share any good out of the way locations inside with any certainty. (Creepy statue hallway was generally pretty chill last two years.)

In the mornings before PAX opens the line forms in the queue hall. Its purpose is to squish in a lot of people in an organized manner. It's a lot of fun, but by its nature can be overwhelming.

Keep in mind, everybody around you is nerdy! You all share an interest by virtue of being at PAX. And there's likely a good number of socially awkward people. (PAX has helped me with my awkwardness greatly.) So don't feel out of place. The common saying around PAX "welcome home" feels so true for many.

Hand sanitizer is a commonly recommended item. Last year there were sanitizer stations throughout the convention center, but with so many people using it... Many stations would go empty throughout the day.

x5XpZBK.pngEz7XjRx.pngml9Z6gf.png
  • POE_SE1POE_SE1 Registered User new member
    So pax south will be my first convention i will be attending. Anything I should know from people who been too previous pax?

• shimwoodshimwood Registered User regular
    POE_SE1 wrote: »
    So pax south will be my first convention i will be attending. Anything I should know from people who been too previous pax?

Get ready to have one of the best times of your life and if you're going to eat at any of the nearby restaurants, be prepared to wait. A lot.

khd33hubozxv.png
  • nbs2nbs2 Registered User regular
    shimwood wrote: »

Get ready to have one of the best times of your life and if you're going to eat at any of the nearby restaurants, be prepared to wait. A lot.

Disagree on the latter. If you pick a cheap place that everybody else is going, maybe. Otherwise it isn't too bad. Went with a friend last year for Fri and Sat, and our two meals we had no wait. Fri dinner was at the same Brazilian place everybody else went to (and within 15 minutes of when they were planning to meet), but we forgot to RSVP. We walked in and were seated right away. Sat lunch was on the Riverwalk and again, we sat down immediately. I will note that walking by Whataburger, that line was huge.

But on the former, yes, it was a blast.

• Only_TrinityOnly_Trinity Registered User regular

If you don't have it already, get a 3 day pass, that is the first major tip because it is extremely hard to see everything in just one or sometimes even 2 days. Mainly because of the lines. And on the talk of lines, bring extra chargers/batteries for your devices, and a deck of cards (either normal, Magic, etc.) to do something while in line in the beginning hours. *Note: The doors open at around 8 or 9 in the morning to wait for the Expo hall to open, so I would recommend getting there at 6 am if you want to be the first ones in line. Not everyone does, but Im one of those people who want to get their pins and memorabilia while it lasts haha. Those sell out surprisingly fast.

Another tip is to plan ahead as much as possible on what you want to do and see panel wise so you can find time to do everything you wish. For panels, it is recommended to show up 30 minutes as a minimum to get in line although 45 min-1 hour is more reasonable to make sure you have a spot, especially for the larger events.

If you do get claustrophobic or anxious from large crowds for long periods of time, I would recommend the second floor, as thats more for relaxing and where the AFK room is located (for getting some peace and quiet),although the Convention will be adding a much larger space so not sure how much more/less crowded everything will be.

Just in general, don't be afraid to interact with people, because almost everyone is there for the same reasons you are. It's a time to enjoy games with other fellow geeks and why I keep on going back. :D

• RoyalsinnersRoyalsinners Registered User new member
    I purchased 3 3 day badges but can't find the confirmation email how can I find them?

• TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    I purchased 3 3 day badges but can't find the confirmation email how can I find them?

Search "reedpop" in your email. If it helps they went on sale on 5/17, so that might help pinpoint the purchase email.

• hadiwisthadiwist Nashville, TNRegistered User regular
    If you cannot find your e-mail confirmation, you should be able to see the order on the showclix site. If you go to https://www.showclix.com/my-tickets/login , use the email you used to buy the tickets, and tell it to reset your password, you should be able to log in and see your purchase history.

• VmKidVmKid Gone Bananas Shuggazoom CityRegistered User regular
    How will PAX South make use of the new convention center expansion? Has the entrance moved anywhere? Will the tabletop and queue room be moving? <Insert other questions about layout changes here>?

KvTUvIQ.png
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    VmKid wrote: »
    How will PAX South make use of the new convention center expansion? Has the entrance moved anywhere? Will the tabletop and queue room be moving? <Insert other questions about layout changes here>?
    I believe PAX South will be using the new areas, but we probably won't know exactly which ones or how it's laid out until they post the maps in January.

• MrBroadstoneMrBroadstone Registered User regular
    Tabletop and queue hall? Well, those particular areas must move. Their rooms from South 2016 are gone and are currently a concrete slab on google satellite photos. Presumably the rooms will reappear in the new building parts.

Theres a new fancy main entrance built to the east, so there's a decent chance the pax entrance will move there.

• ArdentbiscuitArdentbiscuit Registered User regular
    If this has been answered sorry, I tried looking..

1. When are they going to announce any pre or post dinners?
    2. When are they going to announce any after parties?
    3. And when will the musical line up be out?

Thanks!

1) for community events, as their planners start to plan them. I'd guess november/december maybe? not sure though.
    2) this is very dependent on the organizers of said after parties. None of these are official pax events, so it's up to each company to figure out when/what they are going to do.
    3) likely early January, possibly late December

• YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    2) this is very dependent on the organizers of said after parties. None of these are official pax events, so it's up to each company to figure out when/what they are going to do.
    Parties tend to be one of the last things that get announced. Often mere days before hand.

• ArdentbiscuitArdentbiscuit Registered User regular
    Thanks for the info!

• PuritysanPuritysan thePuritysan San Antonio, TXRegistered User regular
    I would also like to add that Rivercenter Mall has a ton of food options.
    http://www.shoprivercenter.com/shops-at-rivercenter-restaurants/
    http://www.shoprivercenter.com/shops/?genre=food
    Located on the Street Level of the NEW WING: Which Which, Johnny Rockets, Chipotle (currently coming soon, but I think will be open by PAX), Potbelly, Vertskebap, there's also a Chick Fil A coming soon too.
    Located on the 2nd Floor of the NEW WING: Dave and Busters
    AMC Theaters on the 3rd Floor is also open til 11pm on weekend evening, and has SOME food choices though it is more expensive - but when you're desperate.... lol
    There's also a Time Out Drug & Liquor Store on the 2nd Floor right under the AMC Theater.
    Everything else is food court or riverwalk. ^^ Though Yard house is located on the 2nd Floor (street level), and accessed via Commerce St, near the Garage. Margaritaville can also be accessed there too. ^^

m2bd3Je.png
  • basotlbasotl San Antonio, TXRegistered User regular
    I did some searching last year and answered my own question but I thought I would post the question and answer here in hopes that anyone else wondering the same thing will find the answer quicker.

Q: This is my first time at PAX South, I have a valid Texas Handgun license or I am from a state with a reciprocity agreement with Texas. May I conceal carry or open carry a firearm while at PAX?

A: No.

Why? PAX and the convention center has a no weapons policy. While 30.06 signs will not be posted, as an event organizer, the security at PAX can ask you to leave for violating a policy. If you are found to have a firearm, you will be asked to leave. If you refuse to leave, you are now trespassing and the police can remove/cite/arrest you as the situation dictates.

I hope this answer is much clearer for those wondering and searching the FAQ or the Safety and Security Policy posted on the PAX South website.

• Christopher HuffChristopher Huff Registered User regular
    Since this is my first PAX, let's say I want to buy "Item X" from the Merch booth, can I pay by card or would it be a good idea to carry some cash on hand?

gVqmaCN.png
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    If you're talking the PA merch booth, both cash and card are accepted. For other exhibitors it varies.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • GhostDanGhostDan Registered User regular
    Since this is my first PAX, let's say I want to buy "Item X" from the Merch booth, can I pay by card or would it be a good idea to carry some cash on hand?

What whypick1 said, and last year there were some issues with some of the vendors, largely it seems because the convention center was charging a redic price for them to be on the wireless.

• StackedStacked Registered User new member
    PAX South 2017 will be my first PAX! Very excited. How do you submit a question for the Q&A and Create a Strip panels?

Stacked wrote: »
    PAX South 2017 will be my first PAX! Very excited. How do you submit a question for the Q&A and Create a Strip panels?
    http://bit.ly/South2017QandA

I should make a sticky for this

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    GhostDan wrote: »
    What whypick1 said, and last year there were some issues with some of the vendors, largely it seems because the convention center was charging a redic price for them to be on the wireless.

Another thing to consider when deciding Cash or Credit: a lot of these vendors are likely traveling too, so their stores may be registered in different states.
    And, when your credit card company starts seeing lots of charges from lots of states come up, they might get worried and put a lock on your card assuming it's been stolen or otherwise compromised. It happened to a buddy of mine at the Renaissance festival in Colorado this year. Nothing major to resolve, but it's a bit of an inconvenience to try and call your credit card company to assure them that the charges are legit. You might want to call your card company and let them know about your upcoming trip.

On a different topic altogether, I'm planning on driving down from Colorado. Current plan is to leave here early Wednesday, get a room for the night then leave early again I can get to the La Quinta by mid Thursday afternoon giving me some time to recharge from the drive and maybe see some nearby sites or meet up with some fellow forumers for some pre-PAX shenanigans. Problem is, I don't know how long each leg is going to take, and figured I'd ask if anyone here had a recommended halfway-ish point with a reasonable hotel for the night?

I'm starting near I-25 and Dry Creek heading to 303 Blum Street in San Antonio. Not my exact address, but close enough for our needs. Google says it's about 14 hours total, I figure if I put in 8 hours driving the first day, not counting a good 10 - 15 minute break every 90 minutes or so to stretch, get gas etc.. (so add an hour and a half for that) that should keep me on schedule with a 6 hour drive (plus an hour for breaks) Thursday to arrive early afternoon with enough give or take to account for traffic.

• shimwoodshimwood Registered User regular
    I've never made that drive before, but my friends and I drive down from Chicago each year and usually make it to Little Rock, AR for the night before completing the trip. That drive is close to 19-20 hours depending on traffic and how often we stop. For you, I'd say Lubbock or Amarillo appear to be close enough to half-way with Lubbock being the preference depending on how much you want to drive on the 2nd day. Again, I've never done the drive myself, but that's the plans I would make if I were in your situation.

khd33hubozxv.png
  • OpSteelOpSteel neighbor of the village pindiot Fort Worth TEXASRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    "see317 wrote:
    Problem is, I don't know how long each leg is going to take, and figured I'd ask if anyone here had a recommended halfway-ish point with a reasonable hotel for the night?

Lubbock would be your best bet. It is a college town with some decent cheap hotels. Amarillo would be fine as well, but Lubbock is closer to SA.

OpSteel on
  • Actur_IIActur_II Registered User new member
    Will there be gender neutral bathrooms?

Actur_II wrote: »
    That is a great question for which I will try to get an official answer. I know PAX East has had them but I don't remember if South has.

zerzhul wrote: »
    Actur_II wrote: »
    That is a great question for which I will try to get an official answer. I know PAX East has had them but I don't remember if South has.
    I have been told the answer is Yes. I assume the maps do/will show these.

• PirateTruckPirateTruck Registered User regular
    What's the best way to get information like what, where, when, how to sign up, etc. for things to do at PAX that aren't panels? I'm specifically thinking of things like the Puzzle Room but am also curious about anything else that may be there.

What's the best way to get information like what, where, when, how to sign up, etc. for things to do at PAX that aren't panels? I'm specifically thinking of things like the Puzzle Room but am also curious about anything else that may be there.
    For PAX-run things (pax tournaments, for example), the best way is to show up at the area in question (console, handheld, whatever) first thing in the morning and ask. Most tournaments are fcfs signup the morning of the day the tournament is on. In general, things that are pax-run are fcfs signup when there are signups. Things that are vendor-run, the best way is to contact that vendor directly, or check their website to see if they have any pax show information available.

• redstoneredstone Registered User new member
    edited January 2017
    I will be attending a tournament at pax and I will bringing my own mouse due to my comfortability with it, but currently they stopped providing support for windows 7 so the config doesn't change on there. What operating system will the pax set computers be running?

redstone on
    I would wager a guess that they will be windows 10 since they are vendor supplied computers that intend to show an up to date picture of the PC gaming experience.

• jamesonloljamesonlol Registered User new member
    Hey guys, sorry if this has already been addressed but I couldn't seem to find it. This will be first Pax, been to plenty of other cons, but is there any info about what we can and cannot bring into the convention center? I.E. I usually bring a backpack to lug swag around in, bottle of water and some snacks. Thanks much in advance!

You should be fine to bring in backpacks or other similar carrying tools. You are fine to bring in your own snacks and drinks, as long as they aren't alcoholic.

There were bag searching stations at the entrances last year run by the local police. I would expect those again.

If you're wearing a backpack, pay extra special attention to your personal space. It can be easy to accidentally turn and smack into someone with the backpack.

• jamesonloljamesonlol Registered User new member
    Thanks for the info! I was thinking more along the lines of a bottle of water and a banana lol, wasn't planning on sneaking booze in. Thanks much!

• br0ken_shad0wbr0ken_shad0w Registered User new member

If you find any must-sees on the show floor *cough*Nintendo Switch*cough*, I recommend checking them out on Friday because the lines are *nothing* compared to what they will be on Saturday.

• SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    Hello!

My badges got lost in the mail and got marked "return to sender" according to the shipping.

What are my options? Can I just pick them up at the will call line?

thanks!!

email pax_questions@paxsite.com with your tracking number and the issue

This discussion has been closed.