As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DCEU] launched a streaming service which has Young Justice S3

• Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Random thought: i want to see a comic where Snyderverse Pa Kent and Uncle Ben Parker get in a fistfight over their views about responsibility.

• GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »
    Suckerpunch, talk about putting Marmite on cheesecake.

Even a washed out Superman who can't manage to save everyone and has some PTSD from the whole deal would (or could) have been interesting. Instead we had someone who looked bored and/or miserable, but not much else going on there. He wasn't suffering from the expectations that people put on him that even his powers couldn't live up to, he just seemed to be acting like he was stuck in a crappy job that he never wanted and can't get out of.

Which ultimately ignores what makes superman so special: he is a man with near limitless power and uses it to do good when as far as he knows up until batman uses kryptonite: no one could stop him if he didn't.

Mr Khan wrote: »
    Random thought: i want to see a comic where Snyderverse Pa Kent and Uncle Ben Parker get in a fistfight over their views about responsibility.

Pa kent would probably just stand there and take it because Clark is watching and could have actually saved him.

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »

Pa kent would probably just stand there and take it because Clark is watching and could have actually saved him.

That scene still drives me nuts. Let Clark go! He just goes at normal human speed and if be gets caught you attribute his survival to one of those weird dumb luck things.

Also overpasses. No. Not the overpasses.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Gaddez wrote: »

That scene still drives me nuts. Let Clark go! He just goes at normal human speed and if be gets caught you attribute his survival to one of those weird dumb luck things.

Also overpasses. No. Not the overpasses.

Fun fact: overpasses are Kryptonians second biggest weaknesses, next to Kryptonite.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    New Extended TV Spot, which is apparently a different thing to a trailer? Whatever, it's more Lego Batman:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djlsDykmZ_c

Extremely late, but: Condiment King! The Wonder Twins!

I am stupid excited for this.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    I wonder if Sirens is going to go explicit on the Harley/Ivy pairing or if it will just be fanservice cocktease: the movie.

The need to make these things international blockbusters is what gets in the way of LGBT in mainstream action movies.

I wonder if Sirens is going to go explicit on the Harley/Ivy pairing or if it will just be fanservice cocktease: the movie.

The need to make these things international blockbusters is what gets in the way of LGBT in mainstream action movies.

I seem to recall that Ivy has seriously mixed feelings regarding harley.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    A lot of them circling around "god, why does she stay with him?"

• Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular

Are these two things mutually exclusive?

According to China, yes.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I say scrap the the whole Snyderverse and go full Lego

Lego JLA sounds so much better

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Justice Lego of America.

JLegoA: Some Assembly Required

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

According to China, yes.

Yup. Just ask yourself, does Warner Brothers value artistic authenticity over potential revenue?

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Eh, China will just use it as an excuse to get a better deal from WB. As long as a movie studio is willing to pay, China will let a lot of things slide.

I say scrap the the whole Snyderverse and go full Lego

Lego JLA sounds so much better

You could replace the snyderverse with stop motion animated pez dispensers all with the same voice actor and it would still be better.

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

According to China, yes.

Yup. Just ask yourself, does Warner Brothers value artistic authenticity over potential revenue?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg04bZg-SXo

• RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    emnmnme wrote: »

According to China, yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg04bZg-SXo

"A sonic neutralizer with two power settings. One to stun. One to.... immobilize."

How close to release do you guys think they got before someone caught it and replaced the second one with 'immobilize'.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited December 2016

...Justice League: Assemble?

Ninja Snarl P on
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular

God, if they actually said that in a movie, Marvel would never be able to use it.
    Not feeling so smug now, are you Whedon?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    klemming wrote: »

God, if they actually said that in a movie, Marvel would never be able to use it.
    Not feeling so smug now, are you Whedon?

I don't think that's possible

Affleck miiiiiiiiight be stepping away from directing the next Batman movie.

http://ew.com/movies/2017/01/02/ben-affleck-batman-movie-directing-update/

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

That seems to imply he'll step away from it entirely if it doesn't meet his standards. Not just directing.

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

That seems to imply he'll step away from it entirely if it doesn't meet his standards. Not just directing.

He looked super unhappy during the BvS press tour. This may be the warning shot to WB execs to back the fuck off with meddling or he'll walk and make them look like even bigger assholes.

I actually think Affleck, free of studio meddling, could get Batman right. Don't know anything about his studio politics skills to say if that's what we're getting though.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    Affleck has proven to be an excellent director and he's clearly passionate about Batman. I don't doubt he'd do a phenomenal job given the opportunity to do so on his own terms.

Maybe he's waiting for Wonder Woman to see if the DCEU can be salvaged.

Although, his latest movie has been getting panned so he might want to lock in a deal with WB as soon as possible.

On the one hand, Affleck leaving Batman because he thinks it sucks would be a major embarrassment.

On the other, BvS and Suicide Squad were already critical embarrassments, and so far the response has been "they made money, didn't they?"

The thing is, this same thing happens with Marvel sometimes... well all the time really. Ant-Man, Avengers 1 and 2, Guardians were all heavily rewritten and reworked by Marvel, and while they often make good choices it comes at cost of alienating directors and actors. I think it stems from how badly Hulk went down with Edward Norton, who had a contract that allowed him to rewrite the script to his liking. After that failure they took a more hands on approach and it's why Edgar Wright and Joss Whedon passed on their roles.

The problem for DC is they meddle with reshoots and rewrites post-film, so they often feel all over the place tonally. Affleck is defintely the best hope for a good film here, and I really do hope Wonder Woman is good if only because it's the first female lead hero movie released yet (really marvel).

I thought that interview just read as "quit fucking asking me about The Batman."

The thing is, this same thing happens with Marvel sometimes... well all the time really. Ant-Man, Avengers 1 and 2, Guardians were all heavily rewritten and reworked by Marvel, and while they often make good choices it comes at cost of alienating directors and actors. I think it stems from how badly Hulk went down with Edward Norton, who had a contract that allowed him to rewrite the script to his liking. After that failure they took a more hands on approach and it's why Edgar Wright and Joss Whedon passed on their roles.

The problem for DC is they meddle with reshoots and rewrites post-film, so they often feel all over the place tonally. Affleck is defintely the best hope for a good film here, and I really do hope Wonder Woman is good if only because it's the first female lead hero movie released yet (really marvel).

There is also the fact that Marvel has a plan or at least a direction in mind for where the cinematic universe is going so they're rewriting films to fit that direction. DC has no set direction or plans for their universe so they're just doing reshoots and recuts in desperate last minute attempts to rectify mistakes they made with the last film.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I thought that interview just read as "quit fucking asking me about The Batman."

When I saw this image (from the Variety article) over on the other thread, my immediate thought was:

ben-affleck.png?w=490&h=276&crop=1

"Mr. Wayne, Mr. Wayne! Would you care to comment on rumors that--?"
    "No more questions at this time."

Commander Zoom on
    edited January 2017
    Back on the subject of the actually good upcoming DC movie -- holy hell these posters look fantastic.

joker1-223027.jpg

(loads more here: http://comicbook.com/dc/2017/01/05/lego-batman-movie-character-posters-released)

cloudeagle on
    X4qWv7O.jpg

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Not sold on the idea of Zach Galifianakis as the Joker...

Prepare to be sold.

https://youtu.be/pUPXPPq64Vk

He's doing a better job than No Eyebrows McGrillface

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Joker McJokerJokes

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Not sold on the idea of Zach Galifianakis as the Joker...

Prepare to be sold.

<ad spot>
    Yeah, that is exactly why I think he's a terrible Joker. He doesn't sound like Joker. He doesn't even sound like the character he's portraying - crazy green hair, teeth filed to points... but he sounds like a random guy on the street.

Will Arnett nails the the voice for the visual.
    Michael Cera does, too. While not sounding obviously like Michael Cera! (...I thought he was Topher Grace)

Galifianakis' Joker is "just a guy." Turn off the video, and listen to the dialog, then try to guess the character. You can't, because there's no texture to the voice, and no indication in the dialog. It would have been funnier if it was Riddler or Penguin or something that has reason to think they're Batman's nemesis (but isn't).

It's a more damning problem than SS Joker in my mind, because SS Joker at least tried to be something. Was it a visually stupid conglomeration of "WTF?" with a bizarre, unexplained performance? Yeah, but there were at least parts that felt like there was something behind it.

This discussion has been closed.