As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

2017 Cosplay Thread!!

MidanMidan Registered User regular
With a little over 100 days till South I am starting to rev up on my cosplay, and I figured others are too! I try to finish before the holiday madness kicks in. :)
So what is everyone going as this year? Needing tips or advise? Can't decide which cosplay to make? Wanting to find or make a cosplay meetup? Post it all here!! We can help and encourage each other as South slowly ticks closer! :)

Happy Cosplaying!!

• Options
    So I will go first! This year I am doing my own design of a Pokémon maniac from the games. I am even making mini poke puffs out of clay to hand out! So if you see me come say hi!

• Options
    UnimatrixZeroUnimatrixZero Cult Leader / Cosplay Photographer El Paso, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Adding a list of known cosplay meetups that are already planned to help people find their way.

[2017 COSPLAY MEETUPS / GROUP MEETUPS]

UnimatrixZero on
  • Options
    PirateTruckPirateTruck Registered User regular
    Does anyone ever cosplay as Penny Arcade characters? It seems like that would be popular, but then I don't know what percentage of PAX attendees don't even read PA.

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Does anyone ever cosplay as Penny Arcade characters? It seems like that would be popular, but then I don't know what percentage of PAX attendees don't even read PA.
    I've seen a few, but it has definitely dropped off over the years. It's very likely you will see cosplay from PA IP though, such as the Eyrewood, Automata, and the like.

• Options
    The automata cosplays are always so amazing! I am awed by the detail and the electronics that they put into them!

• Options
    PirateTruckPirateTruck Registered User regular
    I think it would be funny to go as a DILF of Disneyland from the below comic, but I'd be surprised if even one person would recognize it.

https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2016/04/20/bumper-crop

• Options
    village alchemistvillage alchemist Library Lurker Collegetown, TXRegistered User regular
    this year's lineup for me will likely include Veil of Darkness from Flying Witch, Pearl from the pilot episode of SU, and 'bad' Pearl from SU. Punk Jupiter has been retired from PAX (or any con) until i get better boots.

• Options
    RenfamousRenfamous Weeb, Unexceptional Cosplayer Houston, TexasRegistered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    I've seen a few, but it has definitely dropped off over the years. It's very likely you will see cosplay from PA IP though, such as the Eyrewood, Automata, and the like.

VERY likely :biggrin:

• Options
    I think it would be funny to go as a DILF of Disneyland from the below comic, but I'd be surprised if even one person would recognize it.

Go for it! I always find the more obscure cosplays are the best! And then when people ask where it is from you get to spread your love of that comic! Win win!
    this year's lineup for me will likely include Veil of Darkness from Flying Witch, Pearl from the pilot episode of SU, and 'bad' Pearl from SU. Punk Jupiter has been retired from PAX (or any con) until i get better boots.

I made the mistake of wearing bad footwear last year, it almost took a week to get my feet to stop hurting after that weekend! I am not making that mistake again! I feel like having good foot wear is better then having cosplay appropriate footware.

• Options
    Rachel MoonbuttRachel Moonbutt Registered User new member
    I'll be debuting Mercy from Overwatch and Skye from Paladins! :D

• Options
    SplintershieldSplintershield Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    I'll be debuting a Hunter from The Division (Survival DLC)! Anyone else cosplaying Division agents?

6vxtx7xwwakm.jpg

Watch your six!

Splintershield on
  • Options
    CamoPantsMurphyCamoPantsMurphy Registered User regular
    I'll be debuting a Hunter from The Division (Survival DLC)! Anyone else cosplaying Division agents?

6vxtx7xwwakm.jpg

Watch your six!

I am! I've got the basics down (tactical bag, filter mask, tac gear) and I'm working hoping to figure out some way to make a collapsible riot shield. I even got a 3d printed isac computer and watch.

• Options
    All of these cosplays are making me excited for south! And it is getting closer! Trying to survive the holidays and finish up my costume, need to finish my vest and buttons and pokepuffs. I will post some progress pics here soon. :) How is everybody else's cosplays going?

• Options
    AuburnElvisAuburnElvis Registered User new member
    I'm considering a Dice, Camera, Action-themed costume.

• Options
    wickedtexanwickedtexan Belton, TXRegistered User regular
    Hey all! I'm prepping my Joel from The Last of Us cosplay. I've got it all set out, just need the haircut and to muck up the clothes a bit. Hopefully I'll see an Ellie or a few Clickers there too.

• Options

Watch your six!

I am! I've got the basics down (tactical bag, filter mask, tac gear) and I'm working hoping to figure out some way to make a collapsible riot shield. I even got a 3d printed isac computer and watch.

AW YUUSSS this is going to be great. Emailing you!

• Options
    WingBroWingBro Registered User new member
    I'm going as Corvo, form Dishonored, who's with me?

• Options
    edited December 2016
    Guys! I am so excited pax keeps getting closer and I am so close to finishing my cosplay! :) I wanted to show off one of the designs of my buttons, they came out even cuter and nerdier then I had anticipated and I love them! Just trying to finish up the last few then I will be able to print them out and put the finishing cover on my buttons! So how is everyone else's cosplays going? n4g53uebdgzz.jpeg

Midan on
  • Options
    KmpcosplaysmomKmpcosplaysmom Registered User new member
    I am taking my 13 yr old daughter to her first Pax and she picked Pax South as her choice. Any tips for her as a cosplayer attending her first Pax? She is working to finish her newest project to take to Pax with her, and then will also rewear two that she wore to cons this year here in Florida.

• Options
    MightyMuttMightyMutt Registered User regular
    Attending as Hanzo, with a Female Hanzo and Genji joining up! Hope to see fellow Overwatch cosplayers out there as well.

RbaRXdO.png
  • Options
    My daughter is hoping she'll finish her Mei Firefighter skin cosplay before we hit the road.

• Options
    MightyMuttMightyMutt Registered User regular
    My daughter is hoping she'll finish her Mei Firefighter skin cosplay before we hit the road.

There is a group of Overwatch cosplayers meeting up at PAXsouth. If y'all are interested, I can shoot you the FB group page.

RbaRXdO.png
  • Options
    Please do, I saw the event and my daughter added it to her cosplay page on FB but neither of us saw the group.

• Options
    I am taking my 13 yr old daughter to her first Pax and she picked Pax South as her choice. Any tips for her as a cosplayer attending her first Pax? She is working to finish her newest project to take to Pax with her, and then will also rewear two that she wore to cons this year here in Florida.

Best thing is to make sure you wear good shoes, or have shoes you can change into. Also having an outift that can accommodate a jacket if needed is really nice! The weather can turn a bit chilly at sundown (50-30).

• Options
    Midan wrote: »

Best thing is to make sure you wear good shoes, or have shoes you can change into. Also having an outift that can accommodate a jacket if needed is really nice! The weather can turn a bit chilly at sundown (50-30).

I didn't even think about the weather being cold , so used to Florida and being more worried about her passing out from heat stroke during the walk into the convention centers! Will need to grab material and sew a quick warm poncho type cover up for her one with shoulder armor (Astird from How to Train a Dragon) I always make sure all her cosplay shoes are comfortable even if it means she has to build new shoes around the comfy shoes to match the cosplay.

• Options
    Spacemonkey0042Spacemonkey0042 Registered User new member
    Greetings friends, I'm planning on dressing up in my pirate costume for PAX. Anyone else planning on dressing up as a pirate?

• Options
    JRae_Bean9397JRae_Bean9397 Registered User new member
    I will be doing my first cosplay this year, with many more to come....I'm thinking Feiya the Pathfinder witch! What do we think??
    n2bcu8r4d0v9.jpg

• Options
    I will be doing my first cosplay this year, with many more to come....I'm thinking Feiya the Pathfinder witch! What do we think??
    n2bcu8r4d0v9.jpg

I think that is an awesome idea!! Good luck on your building! :) If you get stuck or need any ideas we are here for you. :)

• Options
    cudacuda Registered User regular
    yk7ai9jhmlbc.jpg

Ill be going on Saturday as a diamond dog soldier. Any other metal gear cosplayers?

• Options
    NoLifeKing1331NoLifeKing1331 Registered User new member
    Is anyone doing Warcraft? Is there going to be a cosplay contest? I was thinking of revising my Gul'dan costume.

• Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    If there are any sort of cosplay related events happening, they will be done by individual exhibitors and not organized by PA itself.

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    n2bcu8r4d0v9.jpg

Bonus points if you have a little stuffed fox or something!

• Options
    KzordKzord Registered User regular
    I decided to take it easy this year as I have to travel and stay in a Hotel this year for PAX.
    I will be doing a Wildling Cosplay for the Shot of Ice and fire Bar Crawl and a Misty from Pokemon during PAX -hoping for a cool night and warm days! haha. I can't wait to see everyone's projects. I love everyone's creativity.

• Options
    Pollo DiabolicoPollo Diabolico Registered User new member

6vxtx7xwwakm.jpg

Watch your six!

That's awesome! Me and some of my friends are cosplaying agents, so we will need to meet up for a photoshoot! Maybe around the riverwalk?

I am still a little concerned on the vague ruling of the toy guns. Seems like they are allowed as long as they are made to be clear to be a toy gun, even if they seem realistic at first. I left all the orange markings on mine to make sure that is okay, but I painted a skin on them. Does anyone know if that will be allowed?

• Options
    RenfamousRenfamous Weeb, Unexceptional Cosplayer Houston, TexasRegistered User regular
    I am still a little concerned on the vague ruling of the toy guns. Seems like they are allowed as long as they are made to be clear to be a toy gun, even if they seem realistic at first. I left all the orange markings on mine to make sure that is okay, but I painted a skin on them. Does anyone know if that will be allowed?

Orange tip isn't required but it'll honestly be a judgement call by the [E]s at weapons check. I'd go there first thing on day one and let them tell you if you need to make modifications.

• Options
    sirenasirena Registered User regular

I think you'll be fine. I did a GTA V cosplay last year with a toy glock. Left the orange tip visible and had no issues. (They zip-tied the trigger.)

• Options
    UnimatrixZeroUnimatrixZero Cult Leader / Cosplay Photographer El Paso, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Made an edit to the cosplay gathering list I put up earlier. Some disappeared from Facebook events, cancelled, I presume. I also added in some additional ones.

UnimatrixZero on
  • Options

6vxtx7xwwakm.jpg

Watch your six!

That's awesome! Me and some of my friends are cosplaying agents, so we will need to meet up for a photoshoot! Maybe around the riverwalk?

I decided that my main weapon would be the axe, but I do have an AR on my backpack, but it was a toy gun that only made noises, did not fire any projectiles, plus its on the backpack, I'm not holding it, so I'm pretty sure its going to be fine.

• Options
    CamoPantsMurphyCamoPantsMurphy Registered User regular

I am still a little concerned on the vague ruling of the toy guns. Seems like they are allowed as long as they are made to be clear to be a toy gun, even if they seem realistic at first. I left all the orange markings on mine to make sure that is okay, but I painted a skin on them. Does anyone know if that will be allowed?[/quote]

I think it would be awesome to get some cool agents vs hunter pics. Got a rough version of my agent cosplay done. I'll probably add some pouches to the backpack to break up all the black. I should also have my ballistic shield prop done tomorrow (assuming I can get the collapsible bits figured out). 20hjetnxase2.jpg
    uf066drb1r1z.jpg

• Options
    macrogeekmacrogeek Registered User regular
    Daughter and I will be going as Mabel & Grunkle Ford from Gravity Falls.