As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EVE Online] Multiplayer Treachery Engine - Citadel Patch (April 2016)

• V1mV1m Registered User regular
    This little piggy went to M-0
    This little piggy stayed home
    This little piggy anchored an Azbel
    And this little piggy held down EE's supercap fleet and relentlessly fucked it to death

• NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    How've things been going in EVEland, anyway? Last I was aware of goings on our home was on fire.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    We're currently chilling in Delve and mining our hearts out.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    We've come full circle to Delve again?

Is it still lolspace or did CCP finally nerf it to not be the best space ever?

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    We've come full circle to Delve again?

Is it still lolspace or did CCP finally nerf it to not be the best space ever?

Delve is pretty sick still. the best part about Delve now is basically no matter where you are (except for the boondocks like C3N) the Imperium capital fleet is ready and can cyno in on you if you become attacked while ratting/mining/whatever.

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
    edited December 2016
    Baidol wrote: »

You've been chilling. We've been crossing alliances off of our To Do list.

V1m on
    V1m wrote: »

You've been chilling. We've been crossing alliances off of our To Do list.

Yes. When a former MRCHI comes in and asks about what MRCHI is doing, I am going to respond with what MRCHI is doing. Today, that is chilling, mining, and, looking at jabber, discussing Rorqual fits.

I was responding to an "Imperium We". Apologies.

PS INIT comms are open to any goons who fancy a PvP holiday in or near Syndicate.

Do we get to use our battle rorquals?

• DuriniaDurinia Evolved from Space Potatoes Registered User regular
    Do we get to use our battle rorquals?

Keep talking dirty to me.

For business reasons, I must preserve the outward sign of sanity.
    --Mark Twain
    Yes!

Oh hello, winter war!

Anyone pondering about whether now is a good time to come back to EVE for a bit should be aware that a massive fight is brewing in the south right now. The forecast for Catch is stormy, with a high chance for temperatures of up to 3400K, and frequent gusts of phased plasma and occasional showers of IN multifrequency lasers

3500+ in 1P- local, lag is pretty fierce but this is old school 2010 shit but without the terrible backscreening.

I guess what I am saying is get in on this

oh God it is finally over

Yeah we made it back to G-0 just before 5AM.

V1m wrote: »
    Oh hello, winter war!

Anyone pondering about whether now is a good time to come back to EVE for a bit should be aware that a massive fight is brewing in the south right now. The forecast for Catch is stormy, with a high chance for temperatures of up to 3400K, and frequent gusts of phased plasma and occasional showers of IN multifrequency lasers

Who's fighting who and over what? I saw TEST was involved.

--Mark Twain
    tl;dr PL and NCdot rewarded CO2 for winning the war by kicking them out of Tribute. TEST fought alongside CO2, and rather than fight any longer, abandoned Vale. Both alliances have decided to move south and team up with FCON, Tri and a few others to take on Stainwagon. The Imperium being closely allied with Stainwagon has turned up to stand by them. The opening battle in F4R on Sunday, sparked by TEST and CO2 trying to anchor fortizars as forward staging points, lasted ~10 hours, had over 4000 characters involved (local peaked at ~3500), saw about 650B of ships destroyed (including 4 Imperium supercarriers and ~50 dreads) and both of the 2 TEST/CO2 Fortizars as well.

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Who won the isk war? I'm assuming either way popping both Fortz was worth it?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
    There are no official battle reports via zkill etc. yet, but two separate spreadsheet (only in EVE) analyses I've seen are approximately 500 billion isk allied assets lost to 300 billion isk hostile assets killed. That includes four allied supercarriers that died under questionable circumstances. We're quite content with that outcome since both Fortizars died.

• TrekkieTrekkie Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »

This is probably something that depends on your point of view.

ISK war to me is worthless measurement, especially in a bugged moment. We had a couple people get disconnected, and in super low what the hell is a server doing ti-di situations weird shit happens, and in this case the shit happens was instead of e-warping the re-appear where they jumped in which was deep in a bubble now surrounded by test.

So we lost 3-4 supers if I remember right.

So the 'isk' killed by test is high, and they go to reddit beating their chests about how they won except we wiped out their entire staging by killing two forizar citadels (middle sized ones for people who haven't played in forever, capitals and below can dock at these) and without those there, they can't move further into the war.

So from a battle perspective, we won the engage meant. It cost isk yes, but we made our objective and forced them out of that system restricting their ability to be any form of a pita moving forward. The 'cost' of a few aeons, and literally that is 20d of building on a stock pile of ore that blots out the sun.

Because battle rorquals are now death blossoms. They are a little overpowered in that they can become a invulnerable for 8m permanent-point with this new PANIC module. I'm sure that will get changed but right now, rorquals are something to be feared vs insta popped and all the cool kids have 20 or 30 mining their hearts out under the protective umbrella of instant cyno response of smartbombing supers.

We now only lose dumb rorqual pilots. So people are still dying and yeah you can link me kill mails of them, but trust me, they were stupidly fit, or stupidly used.

Eve Online: Zareph
    Wait, battle rorquals are an actual thing instead of just a shitfit gimmick? That is glorious.

Trekkie wrote: »

ISK war to me is worthless measurement, especially in a bugged moment. We had a couple people get disconnected, and in super low what the hell is a server doing ti-di situations weird shit happens, and in this case the shit happens was instead of e-warping the re-appear where they jumped in which was deep in a bubble now surrounded by test.

So the 'isk' killed by test is high, and they go to reddit beating their chests about how they won except we wiped out their entire staging by killing two forizar citadels (middle sized ones for people who haven't played in forever, capitals and below can dock at these) and without those there, they can't move further into the war.

So from a battle perspective, we won the engage meant. It cost isk yes, but we made our objective and forced them out of that system restricting their ability to be any form of a pita moving forward. The 'cost' of a few aeons, and literally that is 20d of building on a stock pile of ore that blots out the sun.

Because battle rorquals are now death blossoms. They are a little overpowered in that they can become a invulnerable for 8m permanent-point with this new PANIC module. I'm sure that will get changed but right now, rorquals are something to be feared vs insta popped and all the cool kids have 20 or 30 mining their hearts out under the protective umbrella of instant cyno response of smartbombing supers.

We now only lose dumb rorqual pilots. So people are still dying and yeah you can link me kill mails of them, but trust me, they were stupidly fit, or stupidly used.

I just discovered my rorq is stranded in Dek (like, don't even have a jump clone in the station).

So saaaaaad

--Mark Twain
    Durinia wrote: »
    Trekkie wrote: »

I just discovered my rorq is stranded in Dek (like, don't even have a jump clone in the station).

So saaaaaad

Sell it. It'll go pretty quickly.

Meanwhile, a second front opens in the Winter War: http://nosygamer.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/the-winter-war-more-russians-are-coming.html

this war might have some real legs, people

• NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    So, I've longed to play EvE Online for about... 8 years or so, and I've always told myself that I didn't have enough time to adequately dive in. I'm a very experienced MMO gamer, and have played nearly everything. I've focused on raiding, pve, crafting, etc etc. I'm coming off another of my countless stints in WoW where I just could not get back into the game, and I decided to put all my previous concerns aside and just start playing EvE and see where it takes me.

So, I've done a bunch of research (and still not quite scratched the surface, I know) and have come to the conclusion that I should probably look into EvE University to start building a foundation of knowledge, but I was wondering if you all had any suggestions on helpful things I should be doing, places I should be going, skills that are more important to get earlier, etc?

My plan right now, is that I would like to end up in place where I can eventually fill a sort of anti-capitol ship role, though I am unsure what that would be exactly within the mechanics of how the game works. Some sort of torpedo bomber maybe?

Anyway, I'm a long time PAer (though I mainly posted in the CF 40k threads, and have just been lurking for awhile) and hoping to really get hooked into the EvE community

The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • DrainDrain [E] Tabletop Manager SeattleRegistered User regular
    Nax wrote: »
    So, I've longed to play EvE Online for about... 8 years or so, and I've always told myself that I didn't have enough time to adequately dive in. I'm a very experienced MMO gamer, and have played nearly everything. I've focused on raiding, pve, crafting, etc etc. I'm coming off another of my countless stints in WoW where I just could not get back into the game, and I decided to put all my previous concerns aside and just start playing EvE and see where it takes me.

So, I've done a bunch of research (and still not quite scratched the surface, I know) and have come to the conclusion that I should probably look into EvE University to start building a foundation of knowledge, but I was wondering if you all had any suggestions on helpful things I should be doing, places I should be going, skills that are more important to get earlier, etc?

My plan right now, is that I would like to end up in place where I can eventually fill a sort of anti-capitol ship role, though I am unsure what that would be exactly within the mechanics of how the game works. Some sort of torpedo bomber maybe?

Anyway, I'm a long time PAer (though I mainly posted in the CF 40k threads, and have just been lurking for awhile) and hoping to really get hooked into the EvE community
    Paging @Baidol or @Durinia .

N9pjfAk.png
    "I don't know why people ever, ever try to stop nerds from doing things. It's really the most incredible waste of time." - Tycho
    edited January 2017

First, do the initial tutorial and the subsequent Opportunities until you get bored. Then, join a corporation.

I don't know much about EVE University, but they are a traditional way for new players to get introduced to parts of the game. The real key to getting into EVE is being a part of an active and healthy community and joining them is certainly better than joining a 10-person "industrial" corp that goes inactive in a month. What I will say is they are primarily a hisec corporation, unsurprisingly, and thus you may learn bad habits that will not serve you well if you decide to venture into low- or null-sec. In the past, they have taken field trips to low-sec to get people a taste of pvp and I wouldn't be surprised if things along those lines are still running. Figure out what you want, and then graduate to a corp that fits those goals.

PA has its own corp in Merch Industrial. The recruitment thread is here with information if you are curious. We'll be happy to show you the ropes and corgi pictures.

The best anti-capital ship is another capital ship. There are no subcap ships designed to kill capitals. Typically, people will use something with a tank, such as battleships or T3 cruisers, when dropping on capital ships. Battlecruisers will be used if its a suicide drop. Bombers using torps can do damage, but are far too fragile and die from the stiff breeze that flows by when the hostile reinforcement fleet comes in.

Baidol on
    Thanks for the reply. So far, I played the tutorial to the point where I was let loose. Then took the mining ship and mined until I had most of the materials to rebuild the Merlin, sold off some excess, and then jumped around to buy the rest I needed to complete it. I logged off with it completed, but now I need to research how to fit it so I can start with the combat mission contact.

On Eve-U, I definitely have noticed that nearly everything they do is hisec, even so far as having requirements on security ratings. I don't know a ton about how that works, exactly, but I know enough to realize that very little of what I aim to be involved in happens there :) I did some additional research this evening and it seems like EvE-U is very structured and seems to pride itself on modeling an actual school, and while that probably works for a lot of people, that feels like a lot of work and prep to just probably be blown up immediately anyway? I'm thinking that just skipping to the getting blown up and learning hard lessons is going to be more enjoyable.

I'm definitely looking to get in with an active Corp. All accounts point to needing a solid group to enjoy the game and being a part of coordinated fleet action is what I'm after. I'll definitely check out Merch Industrial.

I'm a bit bummed that bombers might not be as good as I hoped (situationally useful, I am sure), but this is good information to know now as opposed to later, for sure

The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
    Bombers using torps can do damage, but are far too fragile and die from the stiff breeze that flows by when the hostile reinforcement fleet comes in.

Wellllll....that usually come in. https://zkillboard.com/kill/59044363/

Hahahahahaha was that supposed to be a bait phoenix?

That was definitely what I was thinking about, but if that sort of success is the exception rather than the rule, I will certainly focus my early efforts on other things

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    That was definitely what I was thinking about, but if that sort of success is the exception rather than the rule, I will certainly focus my early efforts on other things

Bombers still have very solid uses, but its normally in an anti-subcap role. Basically, someone is stupid enough to assemble a cap fleet, everyone else brings BS/T3's (the heavies non-caps for the most part), then the cap fleet calls in something smaller to try and pick off the BS/T3's, and then bombers come disrupt the cap support fleet.

Edit: We even have our very own Bomber FC.

Brody on
    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
    edited January 2017
    Hahahahahaha was that supposed to be a bait phoenix?

We might have been slightly persecuting them a very tiny bit with black ops, and that thing would probably have done some damage to a normal BOPs drop. He dropped in about 40 seconds to the bombers though.

later that day we went and reffed every POS we could find (about 10) in their staging system in Vey. Actually that's not quite true. We took most of them past 50% shields, so they had to either let us kite their POS or....

....undock in bombers and ref their own POS in their own staging system, while we thanked them kindly in local.

The background to that is that they took money to distract us out of the war in the south by shooting our moongoo POS. Which they did. But getting into a struktrua contest with INIT. is like entering an arse-kicking contest with a porcupine because we love shooting POS. It's our thing. Earlier, an excellent Saturday morning's entertaining was had with EE: http://evf-eve.com/services/brcat/?s=5296&b=7374780&e=120&t=fKzaaaaeae

V1m on

Bombers still have very solid uses, but its normally in an anti-subcap role. Basically, someone is stupid enough to assemble a cap fleet, everyone else brings BS/T3's (the heavies non-caps for the most part), then the cap fleet calls in something smaller to try and pick off the BS/T3's, and then bombers come disrupt the cap support fleet.

Edit: We even have our very own Bomber FC.

I think I understand the top down concept here, even though I don't yet understand some of the specific terminology. Definitely seems like something I am interested in pursuing. Thanks for the insight!

Managed to recover my actual first EvE account from 2007. Now I find myself with about 7million ISK, a handful of ships, and a bunch of items to sift through to see if any of it is even useful

Going to be a fun night :)

edited January 2017
    I tried joining EveU with a fresh alt to create some history and got burnt out on it before I even finished the application process. I'd reinforce what others have said that finding an awesome bunch of people that will happily show you around and shoot the shit with is the only way to play Eve. MerchI/GSF is definitely such a place. There are tons of resources and special interest groups, etc. for whatever you want to mess with (e.g. bomberwaffe).

Full disclosure: you should be forewarned that my Eve career included a stint as a professional "recruitment officer". Join merchi and I bet you'll find some forum threads about it... :biggrin:

Durinia on
    --Mark Twain
    I'm definitely going to be joining. Spoken with @Baidol in PM about it and hoping to receive my in-game invite tonight.

The more I read and researched the more I realize that I just need to dive in, get with some helpful people, and enjoy dying a bunch :) I attempted to watch a YouTube recording of an EvE-U class and I just couldn't do it. Having some friends available to ask questions as I need, who understand and are okay with my being completely ignorant for a little bit will be far more conducive to learning.

I'm super eager to get involved and start meeting everyone. My last two nights have essentially just been logistical sessions of figuring out what I had, where it was and how to get around the system I was operating in. Somehow, it was the most fun I've had in awhile

• DrainDrain [E] Tabletop Manager SeattleRegistered User regular
    Also JOIN the Jabber channel! I did not and wondered where the fuck everyone was after I joined. It took me like 6 months before I realized that was where all the action and communication was. Fleet pings, groups, everything.

N9pjfAk.png
    "I don't know why people ever, ever try to stop nerds from doing things. It's really the most incredible waste of time." - Tycho
    I saw this mentioned in the recruitment thread also. I'm getting the impression this is an out of game thing? If so, I'm all in. I need people to talk to and be distracted by while at work

I saw this mentioned in the recruitment thread also. I'm getting the impression this is an out of game thing? If so, I'm all in. I need people to talk to and be distracted by while at work

it's basically a giant private chat server.

--Mark Twain