As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Go outside you Vitamin D deficient [chat]

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    My coworkers are fuckers.

They found out I was eating healthier and they have been relentless stopping by my office offering up treats, snacks, and baked goods. Usually they ignore me 100% completely, the only time I'm told there's goodies up front is after the front office staff picks it bare and the back office staff makes a commotion about it.

But they are purposefully trying to derail me and it's annoying because the hunger pangs are real. But I'm sick of being fat. They will not win.

what the fuck? this seems like a bizarrely cruel thing to do

just like thoughtless, pointless sadism

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    bleric keep in mind that a lot of those cards charge an annual fee (which they'll generally wave the first year). Depending on how much you're using it, you can still come out ahead though. A card that gives you free checked bags (not southwest obviously since they're still cool) can pay for itself in two trips.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular

They found out I was eating healthier and they have been relentless stopping by my office offering up treats, snacks, and baked goods. Usually they ignore me 100% completely, the only time I'm told there's goodies up front is after the front office staff picks it bare and the back office staff makes a commotion about it.

But they are purposefully trying to derail me and it's annoying because the hunger pangs are real. But I'm sick of being fat. They will not win.

I told someone I was donating my fat pants and they said you'll jinx yourself! and now i'm bloated and the past three days i've been above 175 again

nooooooooooooooooooooooo

177.5 this morning noooooooooooooooooooooooooo

my gym slacking is being rewarded

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    I -would- call out trolls in overwatch on my twitter though

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    Ludious for president

I can say unequivocally I'd be better than trump.

A Raccoon holding a rocket launcher would be a way better national seal then a dumb eagle with some stupid arrows too.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    probably we should have a class about taxes etc in high school but well

here we are

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

good luck bowen. I fell to maple bars yesterday, sweet delicious maple bars.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    credeiki wrote: »
    milski wrote: »
    a
    zepherin wrote: »
    Houn wrote: »
    Update on Daughter and Honors Bio
    - Daughter was up late last night throwing up from anxiety. Which means I was up late (long after I said "g'night" to chat).
    - She talked to the councilor this morning. The school will not let her change classes just because she can't work with the teacher. She called my wife crying to tell her.
    - My wife decided to check the teacher's facebook page, found a gem from 2010 in which teach was "disappointed she doesn't get to teach upperclassmen this year" and needs to "start praying for a better attitude toward 9th graders".

Perhaps if I just move everyone to another school district? Fresh Start. Fucking hell. I get that she'll probably survive a C, but will I survive the stress and anxiety? Not to mention the absolute loathing for science this fucking teacher is instilling?

hmmmm...
    -is this something you/your wife can change by being a pushy obnoxious parent and storming in in person or like...getting a note from a therapist saying the bio teacher is making your daughter sick? I wouldn't expect your daughter to be able to change it by meeting with a counselor alone.
    -do you know if the teacher is a single bad apple and/or if the school is in general well-regarded and treats its students well?
    -I know how one bad teacher can turn someone off a subject but it would be quite sad if she disliked all science. Hopefully she'll like physics or something since that isn't connected to bio at all basically
    The school told me something about changing classes and I couldn't. My dad responded by going fucking ape shit ham on them until they did. Apparently there are ways around everything, if your confrontational enough.

Also Honors classes are bullshit.

What honors classes are really depends on the school set up, demographics, etc. I would not call them bullshit without understanding the situation.
    ...fair enough.
    Overrated. Is a better word. a B in honors classes doesn't make a college see it as any more than a B. AP classes at least carry college credit, but they are absurdly hard.

Best system I've seen is high schools that reimburse for community college classes. I know someone who was halfway through her associates degree when she graduated high school, already paid for.

Ok I have a super-skewed and annoying view of this because of my own hs experiences and any way I talk about it sounds braggy as fuck so let's just put it in spoilers
    Right, I mean I went to #1 school in the country (at the time; not sure if still true) which you have to test into, so we didn't have honors classes because 'every class is an honors class here' (lol), and APs were not particularly hard, and also mandatory in that various classes did not have non-AP options, and some mandatory classes had AP requisites. It was not permitted to take community college classes, but I believe 3 years of post-calc math were offered and possibly you could get college credit if you filled out paperwork.

...elite colleges generally don't accept APs for credit anyway though...

They definitely did back when I was applying!

What sucked was I couldn't get transfer credit for the calc and Spanish courses I took at UW-Madison because of some bullshit rule that boiled down to "we don't want people graduating from our university in less than 4 years".

Nowhere I applied (mostly liberal arts colleges, one engineering school) took aps for credit. I didn't apply to Ivies (cause I wanted a good undergrad education lol) but I heard they didn't accept them either. Some schools accepted them to let you place out of an intro class, but they did not decrease the # of classes you need to graduate.

APs were absolutely accepted as credit at most places I applied and could significantly decrease your courseload.

I didn't apply to shitty schools.

yeah I'm thinking it's mostly a liberal arts thing to just completely not accept them, or maybe just characteristic of the couple of places I applied to which were similar to each other
    where you also are not allowed to take classes in engineering, education, journalism, or anything 'vocational'
    I totally believe in the value of a liberal arts undergrad education, but it's also very much up its own ass

The latter part seems bizarre. Like, they weren't electives, or you couldn't even take them?

Where I went there were plenty of people who took cross-related, no credit fun classes like a short Shakespeare thing or a Big Bang and Black Holes seminar. Seems weird to straight up bar that.

You could not get credit for them (this is not true at all liberal arts colleges; I think both swarthmore and smith let you take engineering, for example). You could walk over to UMass and audit those types of classes there I guess? But definitely not for credit. It was a big problem for people who realized they wanted to teach!
    It's a shame because I might have turned out as an engineer had I had access to engineering classes, although who knows if that would be better or worse than my current path.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    guys if I wanted to get a credit card to start building my credit and specifically wanted it to be the kind that gave me mucho airline miles (preferably w/out stupid requirements for when to spend them and, idk if this is even a real thing u can do but, also preferably the kind where it doesn't matter which airline you use if that exists) what kind should I get

I see lots of people with southwest cards (and I fly southwest) but I looked into that once and it seemed really sketchy

Thomamelas might be able to help you

altho at what im guessing your income level to be, don't expect to rack up that many miles

hey some is better than none!

yeah I have babby income tho

oh uh I should really probabyl do my taxes soon right? idk how to do that oh gosh

who do I talk to about that, my bank??

About your taxes? You shouldn't need to talk to your bank. You should get a w2 from your employer. Did you even make enough to pay taxes this year?

I uh

I'm not sure? I'm not sure how any of this works

i think it's any income over $600 for the year needs to be reported but i really have no idea how it works beyond that

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    guys if I wanted to get a credit card to start building my credit and specifically wanted it to be the kind that gave me mucho airline miles (preferably w/out stupid requirements for when to spend them and, idk if this is even a real thing u can do but, also preferably the kind where it doesn't matter which airline you use if that exists) what kind should I get

I see lots of people with southwest cards (and I fly southwest) but I looked into that once and it seemed really sketchy

altho at what im guessing your income level to be, don't expect to rack up that many miles

oh uh I should really probabyl do my taxes soon right? idk how to do that oh gosh

About your taxes? You shouldn't need to talk to your bank. You should get a w2 from your employer. Did you even make enough to pay taxes this year?

I uh

I'm not sure? I'm not sure how any of this works

Talk to tyrannus I'm sure he can be helpful

While I was in college working odd jobs I never made enough to have to pay taxes

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    My Sec of Defense would be Major Nelson

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular

There aren't a lot of them that don't charge annual fees. Southwest has one that is 65 bucks a year, and you essentially get a free flight after you spend 2k in 3 months, but they aren't to your advantage unless you are traveling for business, because the rewards multiply and stack. If you book a southwest flight with the southwest card you get double points and the rapid rewards for the flight. So it combos up quick, but if you fly two or three times a year, the annual fee would kinda eat that up. Your better off with a 1% cash back card that's free and safe the cash back for a flight.

• Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    bleric keep in mind that a lot of those cards charge an annual fee (which they'll generally wave the first year). Depending on how much you're using it, you can still come out ahead though. A card that gives you free checked bags (not southwest obviously since they're still cool) can pay for itself in two trips.

oh interesting, ok

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    edited January 2017

If his coworkers are also chunky they are doing it to not acknowledge their own failing. If they are thin, they are just being dicks because people are cruel.

Personally the worst I do to bowen is send him a monthly package of fireball whisky in hope he'll send me something back better.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    okay fine i gave in and bought Battle Brothers. it's just too much the game i've fantasized about playing/making to resist.

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    oh who wants to be on the planning committee for our 10 year wedding anniversary this year

I need some people to brainstorm / bounce ideas around with

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

There aren't a lot of them that don't charge annual fees. Southwest has one that is 65 bucks a year, and you essentially get a free flight after you spend 2k in 3 months, but they aren't to your advantage unless you are traveling for business, because the rewards multiply and stack. If you book a southwest flight with the southwest card you get double points and the rapid rewards for the flight. So it combos up quick, but if you fly two or three times a year, the annual fee would kinda eat that up. Your better off with a 1% cash back card that's free and safe the cash back for a flight.

plus with a lot of them the miles expire so you never actually rack enough up to use them if you only fly a few times a year anyway

i dunno about the southwest one specifically

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Ludious for president

I'm not sure I'd trust you with nukes either, though

But then that list is pretty short, to be fair

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    I tested out or had AP count as credit for classes for something like 30 credit hours*. That allowed me to be in both the Orchestra and the Varsity Glee Club (both huge time commitments) and still graduate in 4 years. Undergrad was pretty awesome.

* I also took summer classes at the University for math. Too bad none of those applied to my eventual degree because I didn't major in math or a math-related field.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Ludious for president

You can trust me with nukes

• Options
    When you look at twitter trends and the least offensive name on the list is Rick Santorum

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

If his coworkers are also chunky they are doing it to not acknowledge their own failing. If they are thin, they are just being dicks because people are cruel.

Personally the worst I do to bowen is send him a monthly package of fireball whisky in hope he'll send me something back better.

They are all chunky except like 2 of them, whom avoid bugging me because they are also annoyed by my coworkers.

They are hateful fucks in general (there's a lot of whispering and cliques and shit), so I'm not really surprised by it.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    You can trust me with nukes, cause I'd just fire them into space at mars, the sun, uranus.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    oh who wants to be on the planning committee for our 10 year wedding anniversary this year

Omg meeeeeee!!

• Options
    okay fine i gave in and bought Battle Brothers. it's just too much the game i've fantasized about playing/making to resist.

You're gonna get murdered <3

(You can name soldiers after people you care about! Get good and attached to them! Develop rich, complex backstories for them! It really enhances the experience!)

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular

...Is this some a Millennial thing?

• Options
    bowen

I don't say this lightly

you work with some real assholes

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular

everyone wears kimonos

• Options
    Preacher wrote: »

They are all chunky except like 2 of them, whom avoid bugging me because they are also annoyed by my coworkers.

They are hateful fucks in general (there's a lot of whispering and cliques and shit), so I'm not really surprised by it.

It's amazing how much americas "As long as someone else is worse than me I'm ok" extends to a lot of different aspects of our lives.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

CN Tower Edgewalk

Followed by dinner inside the CN Tower

Followed by some sort of theater show, at this point things matter less 'cause you've had a few drinks

Followed by the Brass Rail

Followed by the hotel room :winky:

• Options

everyone wears kimonos

well duh

• Options

...Is this some a Millennial thing?

Nah I was ignorant about my first tax return too

• Options
    Okay shark first up, what kind of dress are we gonna buy for porp

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    I recently converted my townhouse to an orphanage/school for spies (I dubbed it the Moloch Sreet Home for Youths of Unusual Aptitude) and I have undertaken the long and expensive process of trying to get the place fixed up and nice
    Much-needed help

You fill empty cupboards, warm cold rooms. You contract a tailor to alter the clothes to a suitable size. You purchase wooden toys (and ensure there are none of the more voracious clockwork variety among them). Your assistants line up the urchins in your parlour to explain how you, their benefactor, have just improved their lives. They have laid out a cold collation to celebrate the occasion.

One of your orphans wrinkles his nose. "Is this turtle-cheese? I 'ates turtle-cheese. Why don't we ever get nuffink nice?"

Another orphan is smearing something mucoid on the underside of your table. There is a yell as a small girl attempts to insert a small boy into an ottoman. It was ever thus.

@Jacobkosh i haven't played much since i started seeking the name... i am scared but...

THIS IS FOLLY

• Options

CN Tower Edgewalk

Followed by dinner inside the CN Tower

Followed by some sort of theater show, at this point things matter less 'cause you've had a few drinks

Followed by the Brass Rail

Followed by the hotel room :winky:

hmm that reminds me im supposed to go to Toronto for work in April but idk if my passport is still valid

how do I check that again? gotta find it first I guess but what if it got lost in the move?

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    I like straight cash back cards over rewards cards for the most part. bankrate has a pretty great rewards comparison tool that might be helpful.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Ludious for president

You can trust me with nukes

Def

Definitely

• Options

You're gonna get murdered <3

(You can name soldiers after people you care about! Get good and attached to them! Develop rich, complex backstories for them! It really enhances the experience!)

my strategic genius is unparalleled; i'm sure i will lose not a single soldier.

• Options
    Okay shark first up, what kind of dress are we gonna buy for porp

our anniversary is in july so prob one summer dress and one cocktail dress?

• Options
    amazon just boosted their 3% back to 5% back for prime members

which basically covers the cost of prime for me through normal use

cha-ching!

This discussion has been closed.