As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

If It's Yellow Let It Mellow [Trump/Russia Scandal]: Timeline, News, Analysis

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    PROX wrote: »
    milski wrote: »
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    The Ender wrote: »
    I sweat to God this is like a boilerplate Tom Clancy novel. It even involves fucking Prague and an ex M16 spook with 'Steele' as a last name.

I'm expecting the sex workers to appear on TV any hour now, threatening to blow-up the U.S.S. Ronald Reagan with a nuclear device if their demands aren't met.

EDIT: Also the plot twist with the Michael Cohen being a different Michael Cohen from the original suspect.
    THANK YOU. Looks like it's out.

I'm glad it's not the Iraq WMDs guy. Confidence in memo: +17%

Well, this whole thing has been good for breaking people's spirits...

/dotamemes

It's filtering throughout all major news channels. Steele went underground after WSJ broke the news. The man now fears for his friends and family.

People don't flee from lies, no one ever killed anyone because they were spreading lies about them. It takes the truth to inspire that kind of terror.

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »

What? No, this is the classified version of the CIA/FBI/NSA report concluding that the Kremlin ordered a deliberate influence campaign in the US that was released last week, which has nothing to do with the leaked report (Pissgate) given to the FBI by the mysterious British ex-spy.

This fucking sentence

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Spaffy wrote: »

What? No, this is the classified version of the CIA/FBI/NSA report concluding that the Kremlin ordered a deliberate influence campaign in the US that was released last week, which has nothing to do with the leaked report (Pissgate) given to the FBI by the mysterious British ex-spy.

This fucking sentence

and the hooooommmeeee offfff the braaaaaaveeeeeee

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Somewhere, someone is working on the first book of their Alternate History novel series about a Clinton Administration.

So far it's just 150 pages of meeting minutes.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    maybe we're just going to want a bland, safe, vanilla bureaucrat that takes money from companies and doesn't believe in the end times or anything like that next time

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular

This fucking sentence

The movies told me we'd get Jack Ryan but all I ended up with was Paul Ryan

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Praetorian MagePraetorian Mage Registered User regular
    So I just woke up, and now I'm hearing that apparently all this stuff is false? It looks like they're saying the blackmail material and so forth was all just supposed to be "examples of shit people might make up to hurt Trump", which seems weird to me. Are intelligence agencies in the habit of putting pure hypotheticals in their reports?

A quick summary for clarification would be nice, if anyone is so inclined.

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    So I just woke up, and now I'm hearing that apparently all this stuff is false? It looks like they're saying the blackmail material and so forth was all just supposed to be "examples of shit people might make up to hurt Trump", which seems weird to me. Are intelligence agencies in the habit of putting pure hypotheticals in their reports?

Who is "they"

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

There are some links on the first page of the thread that might help

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular

Who is "they"

The people on the rooftops celebrating 9/11.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Who is "they"
    News correspondents, people on some other forums I'm reading. Chris Matthews said all the stuff that would make Trump an outright Russian asset was labeled as "disinformation" in the report but it was leaked as "intelligence" instead.

So It Goes wrote: »
    Those all appear to be from yesterday, and my vague understanding right now is that something changed between then and now.

Praetorian Mage on
  • Options
    Who is "they"
    News correspondents, people on some other forums I'm reading. Chris Matthews said all the stuff was labeled as "disinformation" in the report but it was leaked as "intelligence" instead.

Those all appear to be from yesterday, and my vague understanding right now is that something changed between then and now.

Where did you hear this? Go ahead and link your source and we can talk about about it.

I have heard nothing about the whole thing being a fake except 4chan bullshit

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »

This fucking sentence

The movies told me we'd get Jack Ryan but all I ended up with was Paul Ryan

That's because Jack Ryan got caught up in a sex scandal with Seven of Nine and made room for Obama....

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Where did you hear this? Go ahead and link your source and we can talk about about it.
    I just named one - Chris Matthews just said about an hour ago that apparently everything we were getting so excited about was labeled as "disinformation" and erroneously leaked as "intelligence".

Look, I'm not trying to convince anyone that this is all fake. I'm trying to find out, because I'm barely awake and it looks like I missed something, so I'm trying to catch up. Don't jump down my throat as if I were a Trump supporter coming on to say "Suck it, liberals! It's fake news!", because that could not be further from the truth - I fucking hate Trump.

I have heard nothing about the whole thing being a fake except 4chan bullshit
    Yeah, I've heard that too. Apparently some guys on /pol/ were claiming they sent blatantly false information to the FBI and the FBI actually believed it, or something like that. That was obviously bullshit.

Praetorian Mage on
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Who is "they"
    News correspondents, people on some other forums I'm reading. Chris Matthews said all the stuff that would make Trump an outright Russian asset was labeled as "disinformation" in the report but it was leaked as "intelligence" instead.

The actual text in the document certainly didn't change.

https://t.co/mOCof2MhO0

I'm seeing an anonymous official telling NBC that the two page summary of this document was presented to Trump to contrast the vetted nature of their briefing with unvetted "disinformation," which... I would like to hear more about.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/trump-cites-nazi-germany-rejects-dossier-alleged-russia-dealings-n705586

I can see this being partially true: agents bringing the summary along to say if we were trying to smear you, we'd be using this, but I suspect that asserting that the entire thing is disinformation may be an overreach.

Surfpossum on
  • Options
    I'm not trying to jump down your throat, it's just easier to discuss things if you cite where you're hearing it from. I didn't see your other post when I posted.

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited January 2017

The documents Buzzfeed put up (in response to being scooped by CNN - most major news channels had these images) are known to the FBI/CIA/NSA/other TLA organisations in the US. John McCain handed a copy of them over to them in December, but they already had them for months on account of being actual spies. So far we're in Area 51 territory - however, these suggestions were followed up, and after investigations by multiple agencies (CIA, NSA, FBI -and lets not forget how the latter decided to get involved in politics around comments on open investigations and why you don't do them), and shockingly decided that the reports were credible - not necessarily true, but worthy of consideration and not easily falsified (like fake news is).

This not being a minor thing, they prepare a document (before the election) that outlines what they have found and send it to the Trump camp and Obama's people. Dates they received this is not in question and a few people hint at this before the election.

As the original documents (but not the report by the intelligence agencies) have been spreading whilst this is going on - almost everyone behind the scenes in the media has an idea of what the privileged few are talking about when they publicly castigate opponents about their behaviour with regards to the Clinton Email scandal whilst knowing about THE OTHER THING. Eventually, one of the many people who have the original documents regarding THE OTHER THING goes public knowing that the election is over and they aren't going to be blamed for Civil War 2, and they've heard that the intelligence community has said that this is not something you can dismiss out of hand.

Now things have got crazier out of US-land, in that the BBC said this afternoon that they have had multiple confirmations about the tapes (one audio, at least one, maybe two video that the US IC is aware of) from intelligence sources after Trump accused the IC of leaking the original story. I also seem to remember some reports that Trump was ducking briefings for a short while too.

So if it was a government stitch up, Obama quashed it which makes little sense - this is the worst time to release this information if you wanted people to act on it, and we know people new about it for a few months previously. It was leaked everywhere but months after the intelligence community (IC) knew of it, given that it seems John McCain had contact with the direct source (who in some reports had previously passed this to the FBI/CIA). If it is manufactured (and it may be), there is enough truth in it - and lets not forget that the Trump camp has lied consistently about their relationship with Russia either by refuting things that in the public record or refuting previous statements they themselves made, that the heads of the US intelligence agencies couldn't rule it out - less fake news and someone joining the dots in order to flush the real details into the open.

Cameron Pig scandal this isn't.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    All that said, I grow ever more fond of my original theory: along with real stuff, MI6 guy's sources were fed disinformation that ended up in his report.

Which will discredit the entire thing to anyone so inclined.

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    To paraphrase someone on twitter: it's kind of interesting that so far, not a single person has said "no, that doesn't sound like Trump at all" about that report.

the peeing doesn't

but everything else is par for the course

According to the report he got the presidential suite in the Ritz Carlton in Moscow and had prostitutes defile the bed by doing a golden shower show in front of him all because Obama and his wife had stayed and slept in that bed previously.

No mention of Trump being apart of the watersports other than watching it.

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/3259984-Trump-Intelligence-Allegations.html Page 2 line item 3

To me that sounds like something he would do. True? no idea.. plausible yea.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Two U.S. officials told NBC News that materials prepared for Trump in advance of last week's intelligence briefing included damaging allegations from the memorandum — unverified by American intelligence agencies — about his dealings with the Russians.

Officials prepared a two-page summary of the memo for Trump's briefing Friday at Trump Tower in New York. The summary was an "annex," or addendum, included in the "supporting documents" that accompanied the classified briefing report.

While multiple officials say the summary was included in the material prepared for the briefers, the senior official told NBC News that the briefing was oral and no actual documents were left with the Trump team in New York. During the briefing, the president-elect was not briefed on the contents of the summary .

"Intel and law enforcement officials agree that none of the investigations have found any conclusive or direct link between Trump and the Russian government period," the senior official said.

According to the senior official, the two-page summary about the unsubstantiated material made available to the briefers was to provide context, should they need it, to draw the distinction for Trump between analyzed intelligence and unvetted "disinformation."

The briefers also had available to them unvetted "disinformation" about the Clinton Foundation, although that was not orally shared with Trump

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/trump-cites-nazi-germany-rejects-dossier-alleged-russia-dealings-n705586

So according to the sources, sounds like the docs are still real, in as much as they are not made up to serve as examples of things, but nonetheless unvetted, and excerpts were included as examples of unvetted info.

• Options
    From the other thread since all the streams are crossing right now
    Xantomas wrote: »
    Conway did an interview with Anderson Cooper earlier and it's airing on CNN now, she's basically just bickering with him. She brought up the NBC story contradicting CNN's report that Obama and Trump were shown a 2 page summary of the Russian blackmail intelligence thing and Cooper's answer was that the NBC story had one source and CNN's reporting had multiple sources and was also being reported by other new outlets.

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Judging from his debate performance I'm pretty sure Cooper is fresh out of fucks to give when dealing with these people.

At this point I'm not sure who's downfall I'd be more primarily interested in seeing- Trump or Conways'.

That's a lie, Trump is infinitely more dangerous, but without Conway I'm not sure he'd have made it this far.

• Options
    It feels very plausible to me that the 2 page memo was delivered to Trump, and that he was only briefed orally, and that the documents were taken away again afterwards. I most certainly don't expect him to ask to read anything, and this fits both stories: Trump was not quite shown the memo, but neither was it unavailable to him.

Also, here, more linkage:
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38589427

• Options
    @ChillyWilly check this thread out.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    It feels very plausible to me that the 2 page memo was delivered to Trump, and that he was only briefed orally, and that the documents were taken away again afterwards. I most certainly don't expect him to ask to read anything, and this fits both stories: Trump was not quite shown the memo, but neither was it unavailable to him.

Also, here, more linkage:
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38589427

Also incredibly.plausible that they prepared examples of, then thought better of mentioning, disinformation about the Clinton Foundation.

• Options
    DunderDunder Registered User regular
    Feels to me like a lot of people are really desperate to discredit the story so they are throwing everything up every objection and deflection they can.

First it was 4chan who totally did it, now the report is legit but was was leaked was just the misinformation part not the real thing etc. It will work, throw enough mud at the situation and people will stop believing is true.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2017
    I think back, now, to those clips of Trump's first briefing with Obama, and how shell-shocked he looked afterwards.

In my head canon, the briefing consisted of Obama telling Trump "We know about the peeing hookers," and then just Trump staring awkwardly at the floor for ninety minutes.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Emissary42Emissary42 Registered User regular
    This just in: James Clapper, Director of National Intelligence, has called Trump to apologize for the leak and to relay that not any part of it was generated by a government agency; 100% of it is from private sector actors. (Additional sources pending.)

• Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I think back, now, to those clips of Trump's first briefing with Obama, and how shell-shocked he looked afterwards.

In my head canon, the briefing consisted of Obama telling Trump "We know about the peeing hookers," and then just Trump staring awkwardly at the floor for ninety minutes.

You mean his Stank Face? Spoilered for image size.
    Cyjro17VIAAgJWz.jpg

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Emissary42 wrote: »
    This just in: James Clapper, Director of National Intelligence, has called Trump to apologize for the leak and to relay that not any part of it was generated by a government agency; 100% of it is from private sector actors. (Additional sources pending.)

Could you provide a source at all for this?

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Don't we know the Intel comes from private sector actors?

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Yeah. Clapper seems to just be saying the IC didn't leak it and that they aren't saying it's true.

But he also didn't say it's not true...

616610-1.png
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    'Hey, don't purge me! I didn't authorize the use of that document!'

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Just appease the bully and he'll leave you alone!

ok, next time for sure

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    ...that seems like an incredibly reasonable response.

"We didn't make it, we didn't release it, we aren't going to make any claims about its veracity.

But we did tell you about it."

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    "We did not rely upon it in any way for our conclusions" is a statement that comes across as subtly damning to me. It's implicitly saying "Oh yes, there's a shit ton more evidence and information out there that we did base our conclusions on".

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    I mean that brief had so much more in it than peeing hookers though. That's really the least wrong thing he did from what I read. Sure it's crazy but compared to what would seem to be treasonous intention it's very slight.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Emissary42Emissary42 Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    Emissary42 wrote: »

Could you provide a source at all for this?

Apologies, had to attend to something. Looks like the tweet about covers it.