As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[NFL] 2016 Season Summed Up in a Single Photograph

• Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    Yeah pretty sure Cleveland is one of those weird crazy exceptions.

• MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Cleveland has weiner dog races. Of course they sell out.

• XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I really hope Cleveland gets Watson and he keeps throwing for 400 yards a game

because those fans deserve a playoffs era

Xehalus on
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    I'm confused about the wording. Both of your post and of the tweet. It was what Spanos wanted to do. Not exactly how he wanted it to happen, but he had no interest in remaining in SD.

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Spanos always wanted a new stadium of his own. He:

Tried to get it in SD, where it originally failed
    Tried to get in in LA
    When that failed solo, tried to share a stadium with Raiders
    When that failed and the option was Share with Kroenke or try SD again, he tried SD again
    Voters told him to fuck off
    In the last days of the deadline the league tried to get them to stay, even as the city seemed to not care much and was still intent on not caving to his demands even if he was forced to try again

Basically he got told no over and over again from everyone and now has to share with a landlord he hates. This is in no way a victory for Spanos, no matter how management inevitably attempts to publicly spin this. He lost, in every way he could, for this entire two year battle, and alienated everyone in the process.

Sweeney Tom on
    Last I heard the plan was "they move to LA, they rebrand" so this likely ends the Chargers name too

Discuss silly names this new LA monster could have

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    The LA Riot

edited January 2017
    Dean's gone too, in case there's still thoughts he won and would accept this result with pride

https://mobile.twitter.com/joearrigo/status/819380084544913408

Sweeney Tom on
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    apparently you can fire an owner

• NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Still gotta appreciate that the Chargers are going to be the 5th most popular football team in LA.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    The LA Riot

The LA Bullets

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    apparently you can fire an owner

His father, John, is the owner. He was put in charge as CEO and President.

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I know. Eez joke.

Stadium can't hold even 30k so ideally it'd be easy to sell out

Ideally

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Last I heard the plan was "they move to LA, they rebrand" so this likely ends the Chargers name too

Discuss silly names this new LA monster could have

The LA Dragons

Because LA, like heroin, seems like a great idea at first. And that first year, or that first hit, when everything is fresh and new and the shine hasn't worn off yet, feels terrific.

Then the second year/hit comes along and it doesn't feel as good. Revenues are down because let's face it LA is a shit sports town and nobody wants to go watch a football game when they could do a thousand other things for less money.

Soon you're blowing dealers for a hit and you wish you could stop but you've burned all your bridges getting to this point.

And you (the team) are hooked on that LA market and just keep chasing the dragon.

Hence

LA Dragons

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades

Stadium can't hold even 30k so ideally it'd be easy to sell out

Ideally

Stubhub is actually a super nice stadium and works surprisingly well for football (UCLA had their spring game there one year while there was construction at the Rose Bowl and on-campus).

Of course, Stubhub was really their only option since the Rose Bowl was adamant about not hosting an NFL team, the Colesium wasn't going to take a second team to go with USC and the Rams, Angel Stadium was converted to baseball-only back in 2000 (thanks, Disney!), and Dodger Stadium was also a non-starter.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    New logo
    15966053_10154578979212713_20003192044371255_n.jpg?oh=8a8984488d231b3f3c1be7cd84cf5e87&oe=5916DB5B

They're sticking with Chargers, then.

edited January 2017
    Goose! wrote: »
    They're sticking with Chargers, then.

League rules only allow teams to change uniforms/names once in a five year window. Last time the Chargers did any kind of alterations was 2012-13.

They'll likely rebrand, but they can't officially do anything until at least 2018. Have to play this upcoming season as the Chargers.

Sweeney Tom on
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    They are going to beg to come back to San Diego
    LA is not a football town this is just pure greed going up the 5

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Terrible logo

• ZellpherZellpher Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Brainleech wrote: »
    They are going to beg to come back to San Diego
    LA is not a football town this is just pure greed going up the 5

Given the current mood here, hell, even before this announcement, they're going to need to offer something pretty astounding.

Zellpher on
    Season ticket holders get a free child, courtesy of Philip Rivers.

• ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    According to multiple sources ESPN is reporting the Chargers have yet to formally speak with the Rams on their plan to be roomies in Inglewood.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    Terrible logo

At least it gave us this

z9p1dY4.jpg

• JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    Good for Sand Diego. The billionaire owners won't stop exporting cities for free (or massively subsidized), unnecessary palaces their egos until they stop finding suckers a few miles. Down the road to foot the bill, though.

• Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    Terrible logo

It doesn't look at all like an nfl logo and it bothers me

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Terrible logo

It doesn't look at all like an nfl logo and it bothers me

Yeah, it'd be a fine logo for a minor league baseball team, but it looks really out of place in the NFL.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • ZellpherZellpher Registered User regular
    The longer I look at it, the worse it gets.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular

I hope this was cleared before than through the relevant legal teams. I further hope the e-mail exchange between those two legal teams included the phrase "dank meme."

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    the LA smog, their defense smothers the enemy team much like the city

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    That logo makes me deeply uncomfortable. Eagle green adjacent colored Cowboys star is very not ok.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Man NHL teams are really laying it on the poor chargers.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • mcpmcp Registered User regular
    That logo looks like it was made by high school desktop publishing student.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I swear it looks like a white power logo.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Why did they even change the logo? It's not like the letters SD were even part of it. Just keep the stupid bolt until you can completely rebrand.

Fawst wrote: »
    Why did they even change the logo? It's not like the letters SD were even part of it. Just keep the stupid bolt until you can completely rebrand.

I'm actually trying to figure out the exact point where you felt the Chargers were run in a competent manner.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
This discussion has been closed.