As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Any word on who will be attending South 2017?

spool32spool32 Contrary LibraryRegistered User regular
I'm concerned again that the closeness of South to East will to suck some of the oxygen out of the show. Having been to both, the spectacle and diversity of East is just head and shoulders above what we've seen so far. I love South and it's the closest show to me, but having two major conventions only 6 weeks apart has got to put pressure on the vendors...

• Options
    CodextehFishCodextehFish Vancouver, CanadaRegistered User regular
    They probably won't start announcing things until one to two months out, with the bulk of information showing up in the two weeks prior to the events - that's generally the schedule for all PAX's in terms of giving out information.

That being said, South is very much a different animal than East. I don't think South is going to become the "spectacle" event that East or West are - those are much more about being the first/last big cons on the year where companies can market directly to players. South is, so far, much more about indie titles and tabletop - not a bad thing, but just a different animal than West and East. If it changes drastically this year, I will back down from what I've said here, but the past two years have leaned towards South just being a different beast all together from its sibling conventions.

Attendee:
    Prime: '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15
    West: '16, '17
    East: '14, '15, '16, '17
    South: '15, '16, '17, '18
  • Options
    twinekotwineko Registered User new member
    Also extremely interested in this, as it will determine whether I make the flight down.
    What's the best way to get updates on this? Will they eventually post a list?

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    we will know when the exhibitor map is posted around 3 weeks prior to the show.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    They probably won't start announcing things until one to two months out, with the bulk of information showing up in the two weeks prior to the events - that's generally the schedule for all PAX's in terms of giving out information.

That being said, South is very much a different animal than East. I don't think South is going to become the "spectacle" event that East or West are - those are much more about being the first/last big cons on the year where companies can market directly to players. South is, so far, much more about indie titles and tabletop - not a bad thing, but just a different animal than West and East. If it changes drastically this year, I will back down from what I've said here, but the past two years have leaned towards South just being a different beast all together from its sibling conventions.

PAX South is 3 weeks after Christmas - it's the first Con of the year!

Also, so far I think that the idea that South is more about indie is not really bearing out... it felt like one whole corner of the show was quasi-scam online game dev sites and other not-game things.

Also, tabletop is smaller than East...

I'm just not sure what to think, when a hat vendor (not even digital hats!!) has a spot dead center and one of the major booths was Intel, and they didn't even have anything on sale.

• Options
    GhostDanGhostDan Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »

PAX South is 3 weeks after Christmas - it's the first Con of the year!

Also, so far I think that the idea that South is more about indie is not really bearing out... it felt like one whole corner of the show was quasi-scam online game dev sites and other not-game things.

Also, tabletop is smaller than East...

I'm just not sure what to think, when a hat vendor (not even digital hats!!) has a spot dead center and one of the major booths was Intel, and they didn't even have anything on sale.

The game dev stuff is at all the PAXes, just less noticeable with a much larger pax. .

Tabletop is slightly smaller. South also doesn't have the amount of people that east has. There's plenty of space for people to game, with empty tables available pretty much throughout the entire weekend.

Personally I don't go to PAX to buy stuff. I go to check stuff out. One of my favorites is going around the Intel and other major manufactures booths to see what is new. I'm a gadget geek so that works for me :)

• Options
    ahstoddardahstoddard President-kidnapping Ninja Houston-ishRegistered User regular
    I guess we at least know now that Nintendo will be there in some capacity.

B2YfFSb.png
  • Options
    sirensiren Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    We will be bringing Defense Grid the Board Game to PAX South and are scheduled to be in Booth #9036.

As part of our booth, we will have examples of all the miniatures we will be producing for the game as well as copies for people to try. During the convention we will also be running our Kickstarter.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/197705/defense-grid-board-game

siren on
  • Options
    fullmore12fullmore12 Registered User new member
    I'm still unsure about coming to Pax South. I've come the past two years but decided the expo vendors would determine if I came again. I don't see a list of vendors yet though. Gearbox was great the first year. Last year was kinda blah. I keep hoping some of the bigger companies attend but that doesn't seem to be the case for Pax South.

• Options
    zealezeale Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    The vendor list will probably be out as soon as they post the full expo floor map, which could be any day now. I think South is going to have a lot more going on this year than last, so hopefully you're pleasantly surprised!

dgiab0m7h15x.png

• Options
    ahstoddardahstoddard President-kidnapping Ninja Houston-ishRegistered User regular
    fullmore12 wrote: »
    I'm still unsure about coming to Pax South. I've come the past two years but decided the expo vendors would determine if I came again. I don't see a list of vendors yet though. Gearbox was great the first year. Last year was kinda blah. I keep hoping some of the bigger companies attend but that doesn't seem to be the case for Pax South.

Since they do have the basic map layout, it doesn't look like there will be anything huge like Gearbox the first year with its own section, but hopefully the expo floor will be greatly expanded with a few large areas for larger companies to come in and show off some cool stuff.

B2YfFSb.png
  • Options
    StinkyTurdStinkyTurd Registered User regular
    zeale wrote: »
    The vendor list will probably be out as soon as they post the full expo floor map, which could be any day now. I think South is going to have a lot more going on this year than last, so hopefully you're pleasantly surprised!

True dungeon man that thing looks bad ass.

• Options
    japesterjapester Registered User regular
    I agree. I hope South starts to draw bigger vendors and decent guests. I'm not into "Youtube personalities", tournaments, or panels that are fan-centric (ie, about feelings, fitting in, breaking into the industry, etc). Besides Jerry and Mike's panels, I most like to hear established devs talking about upcoming or existing games, providing info on how they developed the art, story, etc. Once I filtered stuff I'm not interested out, I was left with only a handful of panels I might attend. On the bright side, this leaves more free time for tabletop meetups. :)

• Options
    macrogeekmacrogeek Registered User regular
    The PAX South App is updated with Expo info and list of exhibitors.

• Options
    fullmore12fullmore12 Registered User new member
    macrogeek wrote: »

After seeing the list, I'm not going. I guess PAX south is going to be known for small indie developers, which is fine, if that's what you're in to. But man it would be nice if Bioware or Bethesda or some of the big names showed up.
    Glad I didn't order a badge early.

• Options
    rtm416rtm416 NYRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017

After seeing the list, I'm not going. I guess PAX south is going to be known for small indie developers, which is fine, if that's what you're in to. But man it would be nice if Bioware or Bethesda or some of the big names showed up.

Nope
    I'm an idiot

rtm416 on
    SK3ozR5.png
  • Options
    HollenheimHollenheim Registered User regular
    rtm416 wrote: »

Erm, Bethesda IS there.

Hmmm, don't see them on the map nor the list of vendors in the app. Still going myself, I like seeing the indies and the variety of stuff there.

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I also don't see Bethesda anywhere in the app. Not sure where you're looking.

AAA titles/companies rarely pull my attention, personally, since almost all their content is available via demos outside of conventions.

• Options
    FrazzelzFrazzelz San AntonioRegistered User regular
    Nice to see Nintendo is back at least. Agree that the first year when Bioware and Gearbox were there I was a lot more excited and that's pretty much the two rooms I spent the most time in. Microsoft had reps the first year at State of Decay as well. Would love to see a few bigger devs return to the lineup.

• Options
    nevermore13nevermore13 Registered User regular
    I think South will generally lean more indie and tabletop, which honestly makes sense given the time of year and makes it stand out as different.

Nice to see each show have a slightly different focus.

• Options
    rtm416rtm416 NYRegistered User regular
    I'm dumb, can't read. Sorry!

SK3ozR5.png
  • Options
    UNHMANUNHMAN [E] Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    I also don't see Bethesda anywhere in the app. Not sure where you're looking.

AAA titles/companies rarely pull my attention, personally, since almost all their content is available via demos outside of conventions.

It's possible I suppose that Bethesda could of pulled out and the App updated to remove it maybe?

• Options
    ChargerHawkChargerHawk Registered User regular
    Hello!

This will be my first PAX South (attended West once) and I was just curious is there a history at South of Gearbox being present, maybe for a panel, since they are not located too far away? Borderlands is near and dear to my heart and I would love to hear from the people behind it if they're going to be there. I see the 2017 schedule is out, but wasn't sure if that was everything or if there was still potential for more to be added to it. Thanks in advance!

• Options
    They had a huge setup at South 2015, but I don't think they have been around since.

B2YfFSb.png
  • Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    At this point I would not expect anything to be added to the schedule or exhibitor list, only changed/removed.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    I'd be surprised if no one from Gearbox was there. But they may not be doing any panels or such, might just be networking, doing meetings, or enjoying the show like yourself.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • Options
    Beker wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if no one from Gearbox was there. But they may not be doing any panels or such, might just be networking, doing meetings, or enjoying the show like yourself.

Mikey Neumann, who has been a producer/writer/actor on most of their bigger titles, is doing his own "Movies With Mikey LIVE" on Saturday night. AFAIK, it is a totally unrelated side project, so there may not be any video game talk.

• Options
    zealezeale Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    Fullmore, it's a bummer if you aren't attending due to that, but PAX is many things for many people so it may just not scratch your itch this time around. If you want to see the big blockbuster titles and demo new stuff before release, I highly recommend checking out West or East.

Personally, I am beyond thrilled at the amount of indie booths we're going to see at South this time around! I love learning about new games that otherwise never would have been on my radar. Plus, meeting the creators of the games, picking their brain, making connections, etc .. is seriously awesome, and you can't really get that with the big studios.

dgiab0m7h15x.png

• Options
    Fullmore, it's a bummer if you aren't attending due to that, but PAX is many things for many people so it may just not scratch your itch this time around. If you want to see the big blockbuster titles and demo new stuff before release, I highly recommend checking out West or East.

Personally, I am beyond thrilled at the amount of indie booths we're going to see at South this time around! I love learning about new games that otherwise never would have been on my radar. Plus, meeting the creators of the games, picking their brain, making connections, etc .. is seriously awesome, and you can't really get that with the big studios.

I'm kind of in the middle. I really like the wide array of indie developers, but also want to see the larger companies (partly just because they have more money for better swag). I play the indies and shop the AAA booths.

B2YfFSb.png
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    ahstoddard wrote: »

I'm kind of in the middle. I really like the wide array of indie developers, but also want to see the larger companies (partly just because they have more money for better swag). I play the indies and shop the AAA booths.

East seems to have the same number of indie offerings as South has, and every AAA company as well. I'm looking forward to the show but right now it simply cannot compete with East... especially with the floating date the Boston convention has, I don't think any big developers are going to ask their marketing dept to commit to that kind of expense twice within a 6 week timespan.

South very strongly needs someone to be more effective at getting draw into the show.

• Options

East seems to have the same number of indie offerings as South has, and every AAA company as well. I'm looking forward to the show but right now it simply cannot compete with East... especially with the floating date the Boston convention has, I don't think any big developers are going to ask their marketing dept to commit to that kind of expense twice within a 6 week timespan.

South very strongly needs someone to be more effective at getting draw into the show.

I asked about that sort of thing in the AMA, and got a decent response

B2YfFSb.png
  • Options

I'd like to see at least a few big names, too, but as long as the show keeps selling out they don't strongly need to change much of anything.

Looking at it from the PAX side of things, it's actually a plus for them to have a show that doesn't sell out at all (or only sells out at the last minute). For years, fans have complained about how Prime and now East sell out in minutes. Now PAX can point to South and say, "Well, tix were available right up until the show, so it's not like you don't have options."