As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Better get a babysitter cause we've got two tickets to the [GUN] show...

amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhourThe woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
edited March 2017 in Debate and/or Discourse
So the old [GUN] thread finally hit page 100 after like seven years.

Since I'm the current resident "enthusiast" (gun nut) around these parts, I'll go ahead and take a shot at a new thread.

For real, Organichu made an excellent OP six and a half years ago and it still rings true so I'm going to link it here.

https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/129950/guns-fire-everything/p1

This thread is for discussing firearms. It's welcome to sport shooters, collectors, hunters, and home defenders alike.

This thread is not for judging someone for owning a gun, debating the US Second Amendment, or telling someone they've bought the wrong gun and they shoot poorly. Also to be clear this is NOT a gun control thread either. Please make your own thread for that.
Feel free to discuss safeties on guns, gun safes, etc though.

Feel free to post pics of your firearms, youtube videos of good reviews, targets at the range, etc.

I will start with what I like to shoot and what I own.

I am an avid blackpowder enthusiast. I typically do not hunt with a modern cartridge rifle and prefer to use a traditional bow and arrow setup (non compound) or a blackpowder sidelock muzzleloader.

I have a Thompson Center Hawken caplock rifle in .50cal that I'm about to get re-bored to .54

I also have a CVA Flintlock Hawken rifle in .54cal

I own a 1943 WW2 era Mosin Nagaint infantry rifle (the one from Enemy at the Gates) too.

My field/survival rifle is a Chiapps Little Badger folding single shot .22, and my home defense weapon is a Canik TP9 SA 9mm pistol.

If you're new to firearms or interested in them, this is the thread to check out. We love giving advice and we've all got opinions about which firearm is best for which situation.

Case in point, I am not a big fan of the AR platform. It's unnecessary for what I want in a firearm, so I can't give much advice on those. I can give a ton of advice on revolvers and muzzleloaders though!

are YOU on the beer list?
amateurhour on

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    "Taking a stab at a new thread" just isn't in the spirit of this discussion.

For shame.

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular

For shame.

fixed

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

For shame.

fixed

Good man.

I'm probably getting a .22 pistol because, really, don't need much else for home defense that will likely never be used.

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular

For shame.

fixed

Good man.

I'm probably getting a .22 pistol because, really, don't need much else for home defense that will likely never be used.

Please buy a shotgun instead.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
    edited January 2017
    Doodmann wrote: »

For shame.

fixed

Good man.

Why?

Having used both quite often, I'd rather not.

jungleroomx on
  • MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017

For shame.

fixed

Good man.

Why?

Shotguns are easier to aim under stress than the handgun, are more likely to stop an attacked with one hit vs. a small caliber pistol (which I don't think anyone would recommend for self defense), can also be used as a club if push really comes to shove.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Eventually I'll be taking my daughter clay and target shooting because it would be unwise to raise a child in my area without at least a passing knowledge of safety and proper use. Even if I don't have a gun at home, she will certainly have friends that she visits that will. So, dear thread, when is an appropriate age to start this endeavor? I have time to figure this out as she's only 3 yet, and even I know that's too young! I wasn't handed a firearm to shoot until I was 14, but I know my friends had been out hunting and such before that. Help a conscientious dad out?

For shame.

fixed

Good man.

Why?

Even if you're experienced in both a shot gun is overall a much better choice in almost every way.

Cheaper for both the gun itself and ammunition.
    Louder/flashier which is what you actually want for home defense.
    Safer in that you're less likely to accidentally kill someone you don't want to and more likely to hit your target in a panic.
    Less likely someone small will find it and play with it.

Eventually I'll be taking my daughter clay and target shooting because it would be unwise to raise a child in my area without at least a passing knowledge of safety and proper use. Even if I don't have a gun at home, she will certainly have friends that she visits that will. So, dear thread, when is an appropriate age to start this endeavor? I have time to figure this out as she's only 3 yet, and even I know that's too young! I wasn't handed a firearm to shoot until I was 14, but I know my friends had been out hunting and such before that. Help a conscientious dad out?

This will do a better job than anyone really of giving you advice about talking to your kid about firearms.

https://eddieeagle.nra.org/

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular

I'd say 10 is a pretty good age to learn responsibility.

I think I was probably between 8 and 10 when I got my first firearm, a break action .410 single shot.

MyDcmbr wrote: »

For shame.

fixed

Good man.

Why?

For shame.

fixed

Good man.

Why?

Shotguns are easier to aim under stress than the handgun, are more likely to stop an attacked with one hit vs. a small caliber pistol (which I don't think anyone would recommend for self defense), can also be used as a club if push really comes to shove.

Both are easy to aim under conditions and at the distance I need it for.

One is a quicker draw than the other.

Let's just assume for a minute I might have had training under stress situations and made a decision based on experience, and I'd greatly appreciate it.

For shame.

fixed

Good man.

Why?

For shame.

fixed

Good man.

Why?

Let's just assume for a minute I might have had training under stress situations and made a decision based on experience, and I'd greatly appreciate it.

So what kind of .22 are you thinking about?

Personally I like the 1911 .22lr versions because they're heavy and have a good feel to them. I also like .22 revolvers.

This thread is not for judging someone for owning a gun, debating the US Second Amendment, or telling someone they've bought the wrong gun and they shoot poorly.

we're on PAGE 1 people.

If JRMX wants a .22 for home defense then we'll help recommend a .22 for home defense. Hell I have a 9mm for home defense.

I also have a 10lb 5.5 foot mosin nagant with an attached bayonet beside my bed for home defense.

For shame.

fixed

Good man.

Why?

For shame.

fixed

Good man.

Why?

Personally I like the 1911 .22lr versions because they're heavy and have a good feel to them. I also like .22 revolvers.

I do like the Colts quite a bit, even though ours were a little janky (army issue, plenty used) and got difficult to really pinpoint the shots at 50 meters (Though I'd imagine that's part for the course with a small caliber pistol). I'd like to feel the firing of something that hasn't been abused for 20 years.

I shot a Ruger .22 (SR I think?) at the range a few weeks ago and kinda liked it as well!

For shame.

fixed

Good man.

Why?

For shame.

fixed

Good man.

Why?

I do like the Colts quite a bit, even though ours were a little janky (army issue, plenty used) and got difficult to really pinpoint the shots at 50 meters (Though I'd imagine that's part for the course with a small caliber pistol). I'd like to feel the firing of something that hasn't been abused for 20 years.

I shot a Ruger .22 (SR I think?) at the range a few weeks ago and kinda liked it as well!

The Ruger .22 is a good little pistol. It's cheap and sturdy.

my only .02 is I'd at least consider the 9mm as well before you make a final decision, but the Ruger .22 is definitely a good choice. If you live in a state that allows it, it's pretty easy to modify the gun to accept 20 round magazines.

edited January 2017

For shame.

fixed

Good man.

Why?

For shame.

fixed

Good man.

Why?

The Ruger .22 is a good little pistol. It's cheap and sturdy.

my only .02 is I'd at least consider the 9mm as well before you make a final decision, but the Ruger .22 is definitely a good choice. If you live in a state that allows it, it's pretty easy to modify the gun to accept 20 round magazines.

I've thought about a good 9 as well. I'm open to giving it a shot because, well hell why not? I'll be hitting the range next weekend to check out a few more. I've discovered a few things:

1. I really like the control of the .22. It's like a surgical instrument. My biggest thing is control.

2. Not a fan of Glocks. They don't feel "good".

I'm not sure about Nebraskan gun laws but I can't imagine they're stringent at all.

jungleroomx on
    I didn't mean to judge/argue, not knowing anything about his background and they way he posed his question I jumped to a conclusion. I just wanted to point out that in general a small caliber pistol is not a great home defense solution, even though it's a lot of peoples first instinct.

• FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    I agree with you, I'm not a fan of the Glock grip angle, either, which makes purchasing decisions much easier because I automatically fall into the Non-Glock category.

I didn't mean to judge/argue, not knowing anything about his background and they way he posed his question I jumped to a conclusion. I just wanted to point out that in general a small caliber pistol is not a great home defense solution, even though it's a lot of peoples first instinct.

All good, understandable.

Yeah, I've got quite a bit of experience with firearms, from .22s to chain-fed grenade launchers.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

I'd say 10 is a pretty good age to learn responsibility.

I think I was probably between 8 and 10 when I got my first firearm, a break action .410 single shot.

This was my first gun too!

• FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    First gun show at the Westchester County Center in five years this weekend-- the day after President Trump's inauguration, heh heh heh-- and it will require A LOT of self-discipline for me to not buy a Walther PPQ in .45 or one of the new revolvers if somebody has a great price.

• hsuhsu Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I own the Ruger SR22 pistol, and it's a great 22 LR pistol. The grip is replaceable with 2 sizes standard in the box, the magazine is super easy to load as it has a loading assist lever built into the magazine, and it's a quick toolless take down for easy cleaning. Light gun, light caliber, low recoil, adjustable grips, means my first time shooting friends just love that pistol.

I would also look at the Ruger Mark IV, as that's the first Ruger Mark series 22 LR pistol that has a quick toolless take down. The Ruger Mark series are universally considered one of the best 22 LR pistols ever made and the Mark IV solves the biggest complaint, that it was a pain to take down for cleaning. If you want an exceptionally accurate 22, the Ruger Mark IV is it.

hsu on
    iTNdmYl.png
  • SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Fairchild wrote: »
    First gun show at the Westchester County Center in five years this weekend-- the day after President Trump's inauguration, heh heh heh-- and it will require A LOT of self-discipline for me to not buy a Walther PPQ in .45 or one of the new revolvers if somebody has a great price.

I was at my LGS yesterday and, having no experience with handguns, damned if the PPQ wasn't the most natural feeling of the 20 or so handguns I handled (single and doublestack compact or subcompact 9mms).

It's a bit too large though, and I hate the way Walther slides are huge. Conversely, I learned that CZ has the opposite problem and the slide is only big enough for a thumb-and-forefinger rack.

Also, the Smith and Wesson Shield has some issues with the slide release. Bummer.

Also found that, concealability of a single-stack aside, I think I'm going to have to either eat tradeoff to get a doublestack that fits my grip, or train to get over it.

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
    I'd rate Walther and CZ as having the best grips going. I also find the Sig-Sauer to be surprisingly comfortable, given how big it is, but I have big hands.

• Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Love my Sig 2022. Will probably invest in a 320 soon.

But not too soon, because I just bought a CZ Scorpion carbine and that is awesome

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
    I use an XD Mod.2 Subcompact in 9mm for my home defense/concealed carry/armed security work. I do also keep a Glock 30 in the truck that I got from a friend, it's not my favorite thing to shoot, but it works as a backup truck gun.

I also wasn't being judgemental, I thought it sounded like more of a question as well.

Steam
    edited January 2017
    I use an XD Mod.2 Subcompact in 9mm for my home defense/concealed carry/armed security work. I do also keep a Glock 30 in the truck that I got from a friend, it's not my favorite thing to shoot, but it works as a backup truck gun.

I also wasn't being judgemental, I thought it sounded like more of a question as well.

Nah, just trying to get a convo going.

I'm pretty aware that a .22 is essentially "head or nothing", and I'm cool with that.

jungleroomx on
  • tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    I shot my dad's S&W 22 Victory a couple months back and that thing was real nice.

smith-wesson-sw22-victory-2-661x496.jpg

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2Fbaz3T7Rc

Not that I need a suppressed pistol in my life, but interesting nonetheless.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    If the HPA passes the Maxim-9 is a definite buy.

I also really like the new Walther Creed. It seems to have the same ergonomics of the PPQ that I already have but is a couple hundred cheaper. If you want to go with a pistol for home defense I would probably recommend it (at least for now, until I get my hands on one but I really like my PPQ) and some defensive ammo.

The Standard Manufacturing six shot pepper box .25ACP is right in my wheelhouse. I have a thing for compact pistols and it's a pretty cool concept. From a utilitarian standpoint it's not that great, six shots of .25ACP for about $300 where a Hi Point in 9x19 or .45 can be had for about $150 or cheaper.

I've liked those Cobalt Kinetics ARs since I saw them in the videos from last years Shot Show.

I also like The Fix from Q. It's an interesting super lightweight manual bolt action in .308. It's apparently lighter than a bare bones AR 15.

There are some interesting optics that were at industry day as well.

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    There hasn't been much revolutionary stuff out of SHOT this year. Maybe I'm just spoilt.

The Crye Six12 is still as cool as ever, but still not released.
    The Hudson H9 looks like a futuristic video game 1911, which is cool.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Oh, like actual guns, I see then, carry on

/puts down camera
    /puts shirt back on

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    @amateurhour Could you do a little write-up on the mods you've got on the Badger? I think it's a fantastic little setup and I'd like to replicate it.

@amateurhour Could you do a little write-up on the mods you've got on the Badger? I think it's a fantastic little setup and I'd like to replicate it.

absolutely.

So to start, I have the Chiappa Little Badger

http://chiappafirearms.com/f.php?id=26

w27uti7ymddk.jpg

sw0tpfuca3ss.jpg

It's a single shot, break action survival rifle. It folds down to about 18 inches by six inches, and comes in .17wmr, 22lr, and 22 magnum. I went with the .22lr because it's easy to get in large quantities and doesn't take up much space. If I had to do it all over, I'd get the .22 mag and a chamber adapter, but it is what it is. I wanted a complete small game rifle that I can use to hunt, harvest, skin, and cook wild game if needed.

It also has a threaded barrel to accommodate a silencer. I'll get one eventually, preferably after the hearing protection act passes and a tax stamp is no longer required.

I've put roughly 100 rounds through it so far and it does best with standard or subsonic ammo. I prefer 20 grain subsonic and 40 grain standard. I've tried some 60 grain high velocity and it's a little too hot for the rifle. I'm afraid it would eventually damage it so I stopped using it entirely. It's too damn loud anyway. It comes stock with a quad rail, a small non standard sized rail behind the triggger (useless, remove it) and plastic sights. I'm going to replace the sights and the rails with actual machined aluminum rails eventually. With the stock sights I can usually get a good three inch group at up to 25 yards, so its a squirrel machine.

Here's mine as it sits now.

sp6ehzubcgcl.jpg

I had the paracord lying around and did a simple wrap from an online tutorial. I won't go into detail cause it's easy to google. I just wrapped the upper part of the barrel to give it a rest if I want to put it on something or have a grip in cold weather.

The light is a quick detach. I didn't want to sink a lot of money into the parts so I went with this one and it's worked out well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E0BNCX2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

7xw5stq0gtjp.jpg

The only downside to this set up is that it's much harder to fold and takes up more space. I can (sort of) side mount the light and still top mount the sight, but when I get the aluminum rails they'll be extended four inches so that will solve the problem and it'll still be portable. The light has a standard on and a strobe and it's very bright.

Here's the sight I went with.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00457SRBI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

by15h8ea5rai.jpg

It's got like six brightness settings and two colors with four different reticle options. For the money it's worked pretty well but I don't know if it's holding aim consistently. I also picked up a red dot sight as a secret santa gift from Bogart so I may switch to that one and put this on my pistol crossbow, also from Bogart.

I bought a small cleaning kit that breaks down to put in the pouch but it broke the first time I tried using it. My home cleaning kit works fine because it's stronger metal and I've had trouble getting a bore snake to pull through. Still looking for a dependable packable cleaning option. Open to ideas.

Here's the pouch

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Y9JJQTE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

p0tya20eck3i.jpg

as you can see from my picture above, it has some leftover velcro at the bottom so I need to find a way to trim it so that doesn't catch. It's got a padded cheek rest on one side and a small zipper pouch on the other. The velcro ammo holders won't hold 22 and I haven't been able to find one online, so I'll make one using ranger bands and velcro it to the rifle at some point, or I'll velcro something there.

Inside the pouch I have a button compass, a firesteel, and a small skinning knife that I've used on one deer so far and cut my hand in the process so it worked.

That's the base setup. There's a few other people out there who didn't use the pouch and zip tied the knife to the rifle. I tried that too but I lose my rails going that route.

• furbatfurbat Registered User regular
    The reflex sight seems strange on a small game/survival 22lr. I don't really know anything about hunting small game though. Are you typically taking shots at only 25 yards away? What position are you shooting from? Squirrels are so small!

furbat wrote: »
    The reflex sight seems strange on a small game/survival 22lr. I don't really know anything about hunting small game though. Are you typically taking shots at only 25 yards away? What position are you shooting from? Squirrels are so small!

I actually took this rifle on my first squirrel hunt this past weekend with open sights. The plastic sights tend to get knocked around easily and I took one shot at one of three squirrels I saw and missed.

Realistically I'm going to put a small rimfire scope on there, I'm just looking for one with rings that don't also block the open sights just in case I need them.

The reflex sight was mostly purchased for the price and use on either my canik or the crossbow.

edited January 2017
    Some pretty cool stuff coming out on YouTube from shot show. I watched this guy named Hank Strange shoot an AR that was chambered in something called .17 supermax.

The binary trigger is interesting, but like a bump fire stock a solution to a dumb problem. And it's about five seconds away from a BATFE policy letter making it illegal.

NSDFRand on
  • hsuhsu Registered User regular
    If I were to kit out a survival gun, it would probably be the new Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Lite pistol with suppressor or alternately the Ruger Mark IV Hunter model for the 7" barrel, with a low power scope, like a 1-4x or 2-7x.

iTNdmYl.png
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Ooh, apparently I spoke too soon.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/01/18/aliens-meets-cobalt-kinetics-shot-2017/
    A round counter. It only counts the rounds in the magazine, not including the chamber. I've seen better airsoft ones. Still, cool looks and hopefully this gets improved. edit- the cool thing about electronic components is that once all the physical stuff is made the developers can develop it and add more functions. I have a round counter for airsoft which was cool, but it was missing a feature I wanted. And the company put it in later with no changes to the hardware.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/01/18/see-nite-sights-shot-2017/
    The See All sight has had tritium added to it to make it usable at all times. That's cool. The See All sight is small, light powered reflex sight kinda? They're small, cheap and reliable, so I've been wanting one for fun. The tritium version seems longer, it's not quite as compact as the light powered version.

The KSG-25 is very cool. It's so excessive. I wonder how long it is. edit- 165mm, which is excellent as that is just over the minimum length for NZ.

Gvzbgul on
    I love the round counter. Cobalt Kinetics is putting out some cool guns, and now a round counter. I also like those See All sights.