As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Overwatch 9.0] Patch/Season 4 live! Introducing new hero: Orisa!

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    http://kotaku.com/the-woes-of-an-overwatch-player-who-keeps-getting-repor-1791316590

Ha haaaa

Even Blizzard GMs sometimes agree with the player base when it comes to the infamous "Widow main".

n3nj3z0lqt8axys9vuzg.png

Donnicton on
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    OK that is just straight up idiotic.

• VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    good grief

people just need to stop being big ol' babies

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • kowikowi Registered User regular
    "toxic" :D sounds like a scared baby

PSN: kowi - WiiU: kowi - XBL: KoWi - twitch.tv/kowi profile.png - "Yes, Kowi is the King of All" - smilie.png Unbreakable Vow
  • VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    like if that person is otherwise polite but plays only Widow and nothing else ever, that is actually their prerogative

if their SR happens to match yours and you end up in a comp match with them, fuckin'... deal with it? their rank pretty much indicates that the way they play Widow means they are roughly the same as how well you play your mains?

I'm feeling that weird disconnect between myself and "the player base" again, similar to what I felt reading all the weird reactions to Widow's Christmas highlight intro - it's a "wtf is this actually a thing that a significant proportion of people who play this game do"

maybe it's cuz I'm old

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    A bad hero pick makes you bad at the game which should not be punishable with infractions. Seems like the support reps couldn't make up their minds in this case either.

• BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    I see Blizzard is being pretty Riot about that. It sucks for that dude but that's still dumb and funny.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I was on a tear this match
    https://youtu.be/oCoF2wPUbAc
    I also charged a dVa explosion away from the pack and blocked it right after that, but of course the PotG goes to a dVa triple kill

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Meh. I know its not a popular opinion but I do think being inflexible with your picks in competitive is pretty selfish at times.

Sure its a game and rank is just a number at the end of the day, and I wouldn't ban or punish anyone for doing it. But I don't much care for it. Especially if you're not doing much for the team.

Now, if you get bullied off your pick before the match even starts or you get blamed for stuff that isn't your fault that's a bit different.

Dragkonias on
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Meh. I know its not a popular opinion but I do think being inflexible with your picks in competitive is pretty selfish at times.

Sure its a game and rank is just a number at the end of the day, and I wouldn't ban or punish anyone for doing it. But I don't much care for it. Especially if you're not doing much for the team.

Now, if you get bullied off your pick before the match even starts or you get blamed for stuff that isn't your fault that's a bit different.

Selfish maybe, but certainly not toxic or worthy of official punishment. Punishing players for using the characters you've included in your game (assuming no abuse of glitches, etc.) is asinine.

I don't think anyone would disagree that if your character choice isn't helping, it would be nice of you to change and try to contribute more. But that's not really what's being talked about here.

• ecco the dolphinecco the dolphin Registered User regular
    GUYS GUYS I'm climbing back up!

j6q4xnmxsryv.png

Just before Christmas, I hit gold rank - and then, I dropped.

I gritted my teeth, and now I'm slowly climbing my way up into my season goal of SR 2200-2300.

Can't stop, won't stop!

Penny Arcade Developers at PADev.net.
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Houk wrote: »

Selfish maybe, but certainly not toxic or worthy of official punishment. Punishing players for using the characters you've included in your game (assuming no abuse of glitches, etc.) is asinine.

I don't think anyone would disagree that if your character choice isn't helping, it would be nice of you to change and try to contribute more. But that's not really what's being talked about here.

I wouldn't call it toxic but I can understand folks not wanting to play with someone who has no interest in being a team player in a team-based game.

Rather than banning I think some kind of avoid grouping feature would be nice. At least in competitive.

But then it becomes a question of whether or not folks would abuse it.

Dragkonias on
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular

I wouldn't call it toxic but I can understand folks not wanting to play with someone who has no interest in being a team player in a team-based game.

Rather than banning I think some kind of avoid grouping feature would be nice. At least in competitive.

Sure but again, you're kind of stretching past the specific situation here, where all we know is that some amount of people reported this player for playing Widow. There's no telling if he was playing her poorly or well, just that people didn't like that he was playing her so much they decided to report him. Unless he was purposely running off the map/into the enemy, that's a dumb thing to do, and doubly dumb for the mods to enforce the punishment usually reserved for toxic behavior.

• tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    for most of the top tier, comp might matter

but if you're bad as a team then changing comp won't save you

i bet you sombra gets the same amount of reports now too

tyrannus on
  • EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    I really dislike the mentality that ranked is where you're serious but quick play is where you can fuck around.

• Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    tyrannus wrote: »
    for most of the top tier, comp might matter

but if you're bad as a team then changing comp won't save you

i bet you sombra gets the same amount of reports now too

I have a 60% win rate on my Sombra, but still get blamed for every loss and get told to switch almost every game. I'm sure I get reported a bunch too.

Einzel wrote: »
    I really dislike the mentality that ranked is where you're serious but quick play is where you can fuck around.

the matches are more uneven in quick play

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I will only trade off Sombra if I feel like I'm doing extremely poorly. I really don't care about the meta, or if people want to put the blame on me for the team losing. If I sneak behind the team, kill the Mercy, and ult to start a team fight, and my team still wipes... yeah, sorry that's not Sombra's fault. I don't care how angry you are at Sombra being under powered.

KoopahTroopah on
  • DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular

Sure but again, you're kind of stretching past the specific situation here, where all we know is that some amount of people reported this player for playing Widow. There's no telling if he was playing her poorly or well, just that people didn't like that he was playing her so much they decided to report him. Unless he was purposely running off the map/into the enemy, that's a dumb thing to do, and doubly dumb for the mods to enforce the punishment usually reserved for toxic behavior.

I think you're looking at the punishment too specifically

He's not getting punished for playing Widowmaker, he's getting punished for joining the "hey let's all try our best to win" mode and deliberately not trying his best to win. 45% is a pretty poor winrate all things considered, so it seems pretty likely he's having a negative effect on the majority of his games.

The people harassing him as soon as he picks Widow should also be reported and punished - I'm not excusing their behavior. But the guy is creative a poor experience for other legitimate players and I think that deserves some amount of consequences.

People who cannot aim create a poor experience for me as the support and I fully agree there should be consequences. How dare they be bad

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    DrDinosaur wrote: »

He's not getting punished for playing Widowmaker, he's getting punished for joining the "hey let's all try our best to win" mode and deliberately not trying his best to win. 45% is a pretty poor winrate all things considered, so it seems pretty likely he's having a negative effect on the majority of his games.

The people harassing him as soon as he picks Widow should also be reported and punished - I'm not excusing their behavior. But the guy is creative a poor experience for other legitimate players and I think that deserves some amount of consequences.

What percentage of players do you think freak out and spend all their time bitching about Widow in Comp? Like, maybe 5%?

I would not be shocked that the negative response is at least partially responsible for the lowered win rate.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    DrDinosaur wrote: »

This isn't a debate worth much more of any our time, so I'll just say that I 100% disagree that a person who enjoys playing one specific character and plays that character to the best of their ability, even if it's not the ideal pick, should be punished for that. And even if he should, his teammates being exceedingly shitty and abusive toward him is certainly punishment enough. Blizzard rewarding those asshole teammates with upholding the ban just encourages them to continue their own shitty behavior.

That being said, I can intellectually see why others might feel different, but my reasons for playing and how I get my enjoyment just don't line up with that reasoning at all.

• DuriniaDurinia Evolved from Space Potatoes Registered User regular
    Can't stop, won't stop!

This phrase has now been forever tainted by @ImthebOHGODBEES

Also, we should team up, cuz I'm mediocre/high gold4life.

For business reasons, I must preserve the outward sign of sanity.
    --Mark Twain
  • KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular

Regarding the bolded, early on in Overwatch they had an "avoid this player" option. Notably, the best Widow player in the world, who was not "toxic" or "trolling" reached a point that he could no longer find games because his opponents would use the avoid feature simply because he would obliterate them.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I'm 75% annoyed at Blizzard for this situation and their response there (is toxic the new buzzword du jour), and 25% annoyed at the player who only plays Widowmaker. I agree you play who you're ranked with, and you can always after the match find their gamercard and click "I don't want to play with this person" (at least on XBox), and especially on competitive just being a stick in the mud, because if you can't rotate off Widow to Ana or even McCree WTF yo.

More than anything I nay to a world where people shit on Widowmaker yet let the 76's and Roadhogs run around like the failures of characters they are. I plant myself at the river of truth and say "nuh uh to your uh huh, hook me now bro with your aimbot ult"

• BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    I wonder how well an avoid feature would work if you could only avoid teammates.

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Man I don't know what happened. Maybe it's lack of sleep bringing back the old twitch reflexes but Tracer just clicked with me today. I was getting picks left and right. Ended up with 62(!!!) eliminations in a Mystery Heroes match.

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    I wonder how well an avoid feature would work if you could only avoid teammates.

Exact same thing that broke the old one would break that one. Everyone avoids the widow main, whether they're on the friendly or enemy team.

Which is just more proof widow does not belong in the game. Snipers are inherently unfun design.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Snipers can be counter-picked though

Like yeah it's not fun to be killed instantly but then you go, "Oh hey there's a sniper. Pharah/Winston/our own sniper, take them down please" and if you don't have any of those, you consider switching characters.

An enemy sniper is never going to just wreck your team unless you're all really bad and nobody wants to counter them. Respawn time is what, 5 seconds?

Also you should always have a Reinhardt and be grouping up with him so you don't get randomly picked off

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I have no problem with players picking snipers over and over...in non-ranked. In Ranked, there should be expected standards of behavior and team play. In Ranked, my team had a player named WidowOnly who would do the same thing. Combined with abusive chatting while refusing to switch and playing poorly, both teams reported him.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Also you should always have a Reinhardt and be grouping up with him so you don't get randomly picked off

Speaking of problems....any character being so essential is silly.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Man, if you don't like what random players pick, no matter ranked or not, you should play in a group. Expecting complete strangers to bend to your will on picks is insane, and often people selfishly insist X character is the issue while also refusing to swap off Y. Snipers aren't the issue, expecting teamwork from pick-up games is kinda a fool's errand.

• El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Playing one and only one hero is only okay if you're trolling your teammates in comp, preferably if you have an 'ironic' handle like "Hanjo," yeah? That's how it works?

ztrEPtD.gif
    edited January 2017
    Man, if you don't like what random players pick, no matter ranked or not, you should play in a group. Expecting complete strangers to bend to your will on picks is insane, and often people selfishly insist X character is the issue while also refusing to swap off Y. Snipers aren't the issue, expecting teamwork from pick-up games is kinda a fool's errand.

Meh. I really think there is a difference between bending to ones will and being flexible but that's just semantics at a point.

And at the end of the day, you're right in that you can't dictate people's behavior. But I will say going into a match with that kind of "me" attitude is a good way to cause a stink amongst your team and decrease your chances of success. Its also a good way to just cause a bad time all around.

I also understand its a mentality thing. And some folks are just more open to working with others.

But I will admit it isn't always easy to see who is in the wrong. Sometimes players are just being selfish and sometimes the team is just looking for a scapegoat.

Dragkonias on
    I am gonna play Widow all the time

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular

The full video of offense player highlights is amazing save for 76 because he's bland as fuck. The Reapurr in the box and fat cat Chaser hitting the screen are spot on, as is Clawmbra chasing a red dot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaZ0SNSvchQ

76 is probably the best dps so I mean

I guess he can be bland to compensate

• ecco the dolphinecco the dolphin Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Durinia wrote: »
    Also, we should team up, cuz I'm mediocre/high gold4life.

I don't team up with most of the awesome NA PA folk because I play on the Australian servers, and only about an hour every weeknight after my baby's asleep, but before I need to get to sleep for work tomorrow.

Having to be able to rush away at a moment's notice has made my social gaming very limited haha, not that I regret having a child. At all.

ecco the dolphin on
    Penny Arcade Developers at PADev.net.
This discussion has been closed.