As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Trump Administration Thread Is Now Happening

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Violence against women is presidential behavior now. Why would you need grants to stop it.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

So It Goes wrote: »
    At the Department of Justice, the blueprint calls for eliminating the Office of Community Oriented Policing Services, Violence Against Women Grants and the Legal Services Corporation and for reducing funding for its Civil Rights and its Environment and Natural Resources divisions.

I think we missed that in the earlier cuts article.

Also TPM/HuffPo are reporting that he wanted tanks and missiles and shit in the inaugural parade but DoD told him no and gave him a flyover.

Ending VAWA grants

ENDING VAWA GRANTS

ENDING VAWA GRANTS??

Yeah...

Can women bootstrap themselves out of that? I assume that's the idea...

Doesn't seem likely...

They can use the ones their husbands use on them.

...is that too dark?

• Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    Only one day until our long national nightmare begins.

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Intercepted Russian Communications Party of Inquiry into Trump Associates
    The F.B.I. is leading the investigations, aided by the National Security Agency, the C.I.A. and the Treasury Department’s financial crimes unit. The investigators have accelerated their efforts in recent weeks but have found no conclusive evidence of wrongdoing, the officials said. One official said intelligence reports based on some of the wiretapped communications had been provided to the White House.

Counterintelligence investigations examine the connections between American citizens and foreign governments. Those connections can involve efforts to steal state or corporate secrets, curry favor with American government leaders or influence policy. It is unclear which Russian officials are under investigation, or what particular conversations caught the attention of American eavesdroppers. The legal standard for opening these investigations is low, and prosecutions are rare.

These inquiries are going to be shut down tomorrow.

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Knight_ wrote: »
    Violence against women is presidential behavior now. Why would you need grants to stop it.

He got mad when he found out the grants were to stop violence against women.

Mr Khan on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    At the Department of Justice, the blueprint calls for eliminating the Office of Community Oriented Policing Services, Violence Against Women Grants and the Legal Services Corporation and for reducing funding for its Civil Rights and its Environment and Natural Resources divisions.

Also TPM/HuffPo are reporting that he wanted tanks and missiles and shit in the inaugural parade but DoD told him no and gave him a flyover.

Ending VAWA grants

ENDING VAWA GRANTS

ENDING VAWA GRANTS??

Yeah...

Doesn't seem likely...

...is that too dark?

Dear God man...

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    At this point I feel confident in concluding that Trump is actually exactly what the Republican party wants. He's an idiot that does whatever the last person tells him is a good idea and he's egotistical as fuck. Let him take the credit and he'll do whatever. His cabinet picks? Perfect, cause the Republican party/Koch/Heritage foundation wants the government to basically not function at all. The things they're ending, like VAWA grants, privatization of NPR, killing national endowment of the arts and humanities? Selling public lands? That's pure Heritage foundation kill off all the federal government shit.

Libertarian types will probably start getting really happy with all government spending getting killed off.

Disregard the fact that this stuff has a huge ROI societal benefit. It's "wasteful" spending.

It's going to be really fucking hard for the next four years.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Absalon wrote: »
    He won't get impeached no matter what. There is no incentive for any republican to hold him to any standard.

None of his friends or associates will get any prison time.

If you think the law or any previous institution will be a weapon you can use, you have already lost.

Yeah the thing that needs focused on are local and state elections leading up to 2018 midterms so that we then can properly and summarily dismiss Mr Trump right the fuck out of office in 2020.

I have no faith in the electorate or the American left. You are using lawful means against people who would happily kill you or destroy you to feel like winners.

So... you just want to roll over?

Cause that's dumb. And also exceedingly fatalistic. To quote Edmund Burke: "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." There are still checks in place. The American people have a responsibility to stay informed and to exercise those rights. And for the most part, we did. 3 million more people rejected him than accepted him and I'd be willing to be bet money that a lot of the people that did vote for him simply didn't pay attention. Thats a problem that needs to be addressed at a grassroots level. We know we need to be having conversations. So let's have em.

Are there bad, backwards, greedy people out there? Yes. Do they want to set us back? Yes. That's part of a democracy. We can't get complacent and kick our feet up and say "we had a good president for 8 years all the problems are gone forever." It's a continous, tiring process. Trump and his ilk are indications that there are some cracks in our system. Good. We know they're there, now. We can work towards fixing them.

I choose to be optimistic. This isn't the end of the world. This isn't the End Times. I lived through that exact same toxic ideology when I was a kid growing up in a Christian, conservative home. I'm not doing it again.

We're Americans. We're tough, we're good people. The resistance we've seen from people across the nation in the face of this is inspiring. We will come together and we will resist him, peacefully, through the means with which we have been granted.

We. Will. Be. Ok.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Intercepted Russian Communications Party of Inquiry into Trump Associates
    The F.B.I. is leading the investigations, aided by the National Security Agency, the C.I.A. and the Treasury Department’s financial crimes unit. The investigators have accelerated their efforts in recent weeks but have found no conclusive evidence of wrongdoing, the officials said. One official said intelligence reports based on some of the wiretapped communications had been provided to the White House.

Counterintelligence investigations examine the connections between American citizens and foreign governments. Those connections can involve efforts to steal state or corporate secrets, curry favor with American government leaders or influence policy. It is unclear which Russian officials are under investigation, or what particular conversations caught the attention of American eavesdroppers. The legal standard for opening these investigations is low, and prosecutions are rare.

These inquiries are going to be shut down tomorrow.

In the article they noted that the anonymous sources came forth with the info because they're afraid the investigation will be obstructed.

It's weird that it feels like it should be hyperbole, but I'm legitimately afraid for the future of our country and society.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    This thread is so fucking depressing.

He's really going to do a communist-like March of Power at his inauguration?

Just... his cabinet picks are horrendous, he's embarrassing us with his Twitterrhea, and all of his ideas are terrible.

Some days I feel like taking my VA check and just expatriating my ass to a small island nation where I can live out my days ignoring the news, until the eventual rising sea levels throw me into a peaceful, watery grave.

If you can make that plan work I highly suggest it.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    I can't even begin to explain how important those grants are to women AND men in every single state

Ending those grants entirely would be catastrophic for many non profits and government actors (police, probation, DA's offices, courts) around the country, they rely on those federal grants to effectively be able to specifically address domestic violence, sexual assault, human trafficking

the ultimate effect of doing this is that the rates of women dying at the hands of their abusers will go back up

Fuck

• Options
    Nope. They got away with everything so far and their newly charged evil will constantly surprise and overwhelm you with its brazenness. You're talking about winning fairly and lawfully. I think that's an awful message to send.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    I am saying that there is no umpire or third party to punish cheaters, doping and putting ball bearings in the boxing gloves. So you will lose by default.

You don't know these people. They know you.

Absalon on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    This thread is so fucking depressing.

He's really going to do a communist-like March of Power at his inauguration?

Just... his cabinet picks are horrendous, he's embarrassing us with his Twitterrhea, and all of his ideas are terrible.

Some days I feel like taking my VA check and just expatriating my ass to a small island nation where I can live out my days ignoring the news, until the eventual rising sea levels throw me into a peaceful, watery grave.

If you can make that plan work I highly suggest it.

I'm considering living in a shit hole for a few years, stacking cash, and leaving the country.

I have been for a while now, off and on, but Obama seriously made me reconsider. Well, now...

• Options
    edited January 2017
    All you can hope for is a situation so terrible that blue states openly think of seceding and people in the army talk of some sort of honorable treason.

Normal will not beat this. Morality cannot beat this.

Absalon on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular

Ending VAWA grants

ENDING VAWA GRANTS

ENDING VAWA GRANTS??

Yeah...

Doesn't seem likely...

...is that too dark?

:witness me:

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I'm watching Trump kids interview. The boys look wrong somehow...lizard peopleish.

And yeah Trump is right his daughter is hot.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    All you can hope for is a situation so terrible that blue states openly think of seceding and people in the army talk of some sort of honorable treason.

Yes, it can.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    The most important thing is to survive, first. We have to work together and survive. If we're still alive we can still rebuild. If we die then the monsters win.

If you have to run away, run. Nobody looks down on refugees for trying to save themselves.

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    So given his shit budget, which is every fucking awful thing the shitbag Koch brothers and their Ilk wanted. He fucking awful nominations, which seem like they are going to get full approval from the GOP Senate, even though some of them broke the law. Trump being an insecure prick that wanted a military parade. The GOP in Congress passing bullshit laws to excuse their fiscally irresponsibly behavior. The pending repeal of ACA with no replacement. Ratfucker, piece of shit republicans dismantling good policies, that their party supported in the past because the opposition likes. Then the rest being a bunch of chicken shits or fucking scum that cares more about power than country. How long do we go into this Presidency before the shit hits the fan and the riots start? I knew shit was going to be bad, but Jesus fucking Christ, I didn't realize all of them with that fucking stupid.

If the country survives this disaster can we please take CU out back and shoot it, repeatedly, seal it a lead shell and launch it into the fucking sun. Also while we're at could we just require people to sell off their stocks or put it in a blind trust for the next 4 to 8 years before they are even allowed to run. Finally, deep six some of the appointment stuff and have some real requirements for the job and while we at it, make that the case for being on certain congressional committees.

Just so god damn pissed off at the Republicans. Trump isn't going to make America great, he's going to make it bankrupt and a has been. I can only hope that when the backlash happens, him and his ilk are left penniless and on the street. Where people tell them they are shit, to their faces daily.

Mill on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    OremLK wrote: »
    Short of putting swastikas all over everything, I can't think of any window dressing that screams "fascist" much more than celebrating your ascent to political power with military parades.

Putting Fasces on everything?

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

Yes, it can.

I would be a lot less fatalistic about all this if I didn't think that voter disenfranchisement was going to get ten times worse.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Maybe I'm right maybe I'm wrong. I don't know. It doesn't really matter.

It just seems excessively dark and capitulatory to sit there and wait for the hammer to drop and say "woe is us there's nothing we can do." Like, fuck that. If I've got agency I will use it until I can no longer do so.

This thread (myself included, full disclosure. It's human nature I guess) has a tendency to focus on all the horrible, terrible, not good possibilities with an almost perverse intensity despite the fact that those things, if they ever do come to fruition, are beyond our control. We can only take things one day at a time and focus on the issues that we have the ability to fix. Everything else, just, let it go. I know it's hard to do that and people are scared, but letting that fear hang over you will kill you long before any bullshit hypothetical nuclear holocaust.

Stay informed. Do good. Be kind. Help and ask for help if you need it. But don't you ever fucking give up. The moment we give up is when we truly lose.

• Options
    I am not saying to give up. I am saying to give up trying to get good things done without evil methods.

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    The Trump transition team already asked for, I don't remember exactly how it goes, but, a list of people who had worked on or promoted programs that reduce violence against women

So, they already signaled an intent to purge civil servants who have been working to reduce violence against women

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Ending VAWA grants

ENDING VAWA GRANTS

ENDING VAWA GRANTS??

Well, his liege country is decriminalizing violence against women, so of course he's doing the same.

• Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    We're Americans. We're tough, we're good people. The resistance we've seen from people across the nation in the face of this is inspiring. We will come together and we will resist him, peacefully, through the means with which we have been granted.

We. Will. Be. Ok.
    I admire your spirit and sense of obligation and I hope you can hold on to them, helping you accomplish good things out there. The country will certainly need some of that in the coming years! Just stay safe while doing so, because I think that will be a rising concern down the line.

But I can't share your outlook. I think very few things will "go back", and I'm certainly not seeing anything pointing in that direction. I simply don't think there will be a return after this, what's sold off, dismantled and destroyed in the next few years won't be rebuilt, not in a foreseeable future. Would the Democratic Party manage (and I'm increasingly unsure of this...) to seize power they won't have time to do do it before ousted again, anyhow.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Meet the new UK Ambassador:
    Donald Trump appears to have named New York Jets owner Woody Johnson as the next US ambassador to the UK.

Speaking at a Washington luncheon, the President-elect introduced a guest as "sitting next to the ambassador Woody Johnson, going to Saint James."

The role's official title is Ambassador of the United States to the Court of St James's, named after the royal court for the sovereign of the UK.

"Congratulations, Woody," Mr Trump added.

• Options
    BlvckBlvck Blvck lives matter. Registered User regular

Ending VAWA grants

ENDING VAWA GRANTS

ENDING VAWA GRANTS??

Yeah...

Doesn't seem likely...

...is that too dark?

Holy shit

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    At this point I feel confident in concluding that Trump is actually exactly what the Republican party wants. He's an idiot that does whatever the last person tells him is a good idea and he's egotistical as fuck. Let him take the credit and he'll do whatever. His cabinet picks? Perfect, cause the Republican party/Koch/Heritage foundation wants the government to basically not function at all. The things they're ending, like VAWA grants, privatization of NPR, killing national endowment of the arts and humanities? Selling public lands? That's pure Heritage foundation kill off all the federal government shit.

Libertarian types will probably start getting really happy with all government spending getting killed off.

Disregard the fact that this stuff has a huge ROI societal benefit. It's "wasteful" spending.

It's going to be really fucking hard for the next four years.

Anyone ever tell you that you're too much of an optimist? Because yeah: if trump gets away with half of the shit he's talked about in the last 6 months you are looking at undoing decades of governmental programs and it will take decades more to recover them assuming that's even possible since the government is poised to sell off over a trillion dollars in land for zero dollars and I doubt the mining companies will take only pictures and leave only footsteps.

• Options
    Funny how people give a shit about federal lands when they've never even visited the lands in question

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    What does that have to do with anything?

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Blvck wrote: »
    Funny how people give a shit about federal lands when they've never even visited the lands in question

You don't have to visit federally owned land to care about having federal land.

Heck, part of the reason for wilderness areas is to discourage human activity there.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular

I've actually been to quite a few National parks in the states kid.

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular

conservation is it's own reward

• Options
    edited January 2017

I give a shit about a lot of things. I'm upset that kids get bombed in the middle east, but I've never been there. I'm upset that Flint has poison water, but I don't live there and don't know anyone from there. I'm upset when a guy shoots up a movie theater, bombs a marathon, or murders people in a Planned Parenthood even though I've not once had anything personal to do with it.

Being upset they're going to ravage our natural environment even more in what amounts to a corporate giveaway of the lands that were supposed to be preserved for the people of this country doesn't require a weekend trip to said lands. It simply means youre a sane, rational human being who cares about more than their own selfish needs.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    moniker wrote: »
    OremLK wrote: »
    Short of putting swastikas all over everything, I can't think of any window dressing that screams "fascist" much more than celebrating your ascent to political power with military parades.

Putting Fasces on everything?

Too late, it's on the official seals in the US, coinage, and even the Lincoln Memorial. Has been all over the US since we started building national monuments and buildings.

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    edited January 2017

There's just something poetic about the idea that lands could be getting strip mined right now and very few people would know unless told about it

I give a shit about a lot of things. I'm upset that kids get bombed in the middle east, but I've never been there. I'm upset that Flint has poison water, but I don't live there and don't know anyone from there. I'm upset when a guy shoots up a movie theater, bombs a marathon, or murders people in a Planned Parenthood even though I've not once had anything personal to do with it.

Being upset they're going to ravage our natural environment even more in what amounts to a corporate giveaway of the lands that were supposed to be preserved for the people of this country doesn't require a weekend trip to said lands. It simply means youre a sane, rational human being who cares about more than their own selfish needs.

I hope you didn't mean any of this personally. I sure didn't.

Blvck on
  • Options
    edited January 2017

There's just something poetic about the idea that lands could be getting strip mined right now

I hope you didn't mean any of this personally. I sure didn't.

Not personally, but I did find your point to be incredibly self-centered and myopic.

Think of it like this: the chances that I've been to your town are near zero. Therefore, by your logic, all people who have never been to your town should not care about it if it floods or catches on fire.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    How fast will be start to feel the effects of the Trump Administration?

This discussion has been closed.