As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Agents of [The Division] - Directive 51 remains in effect

• A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Edit! We have moved on. Carry on carry on.

Picking this up on ye xbox so me and my bro can play. Think I'll go shieldy guy since all my PC guys have been snipers.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    Zetx wrote: »
    I recently got back into this. Was at 30 when I left, hit WT 5 and finishing up some side missions now. From the last few pages, I guess only a few people here play now?

I hop on now and again, but lately I've been sticking to Survival. Which means most of my time is spent wandering around freezing to death, before stumbling into a six-pack of cleaners and getting an enthusiastically warm welcome.

• GSMGSM Registered User regular
    I picked this up on PC a while ago, and everybody I've randomly joined on missions have all said the same thing: they were part of the beta test, they haven't played it since then, but have finally picked it up because the price was finally as low as $25.

It's been fun being part of the third wave, I guess? In story terms, I guess I was part of the first (that went missing) too.

We'll get back there someday.
  • ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    Dizzen wrote: »
    Zetx wrote: »
    I recently got back into this. Was at 30 when I left, hit WT 5 and finishing up some side missions now. From the last few pages, I guess only a few people here play now?

I hop on now and again, but lately I've been sticking to Survival. Which means most of my time is spent wandering around freezing to death, before stumbling into a six-pack of cleaners and getting an enthusiastically warm welcome.

Played my first Survival, the hunter was harder than I expected, but overall I enjoyed the experience even if I ended up face down at an extraction site. I wager I tried to extract pretty early too, with some 20 minutes left on my timer. I think once I learn where the safe houses and fires (and caches) are, I'll stick around awhile longer.

76561197966849367.png
  • SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Survival was pretty cool, could have been better for group play though, for the rest of the game teaming up was a benefit, in Survival teaming up was detrimental to progress, because of scarce resources.

Sounds like Last Stand might be incoming soon, I'll be booting this game up again then.

3016621-dlc.jpg

Last Stand is probably a Horde Mode of some kind, my Ballistic Shield and I will be waiting.

Sirialis on
  • FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Really enjoying Survival, haven't touched the game since around when incursions were first introduced. May check out Underground too, I'm glad the game has some more interesting/repeatable content and Survival is basically everything I wanted the game to be originally. I love that everyone is reset every time, so you don't have the issues the Dark Zone has now where you walk in and are just nuked by people who never stopped playing.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
    edited January 2017
    Made it to the evac zone with the antivirals twice now and died both times. First time I was completely unprepared for the Hunter. The second time, I was ready for the Hunter but a few other people made it to the zone too and we got overwhelmed.

I've only been doing PvE so far since I've been doing it solo, if I get a group together at some point I think PvP could be really interesting but I don't really see a reason to do it solo unless I can be sure there aren't any pre-made groups in there as well somehow?

FuriousJodo on
    edited January 2017
    Going as a group makes it harder in Survival if you ask me (because of limited resources, granted I've only played PvE), going solo and finding good gear spots for every spawn makes a huge difference. (also check your map when you see "xxx has died" to see if they are near by!)

After you reach the DZ and get the Antivirals (try to remember where the Division Tech boxes are too, they look like long containers, need them to craft HE guns), try to gear up with HE gear as much as you can before heading to the Extraction (HE G36 is a monster), my favorite skills were Pulse and Medkit, used the Carpark because I know that area like the palm of my hand from old DZ times.

If you stand inside the one staircase there, the Hunter will always try to shoot you from above a container directly opposite the staircase exit, he cant easily "run away" from this spot and that made him far easier to deal with in my experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyTsi4eYZ0E
    This was the run I got Master Rank from I think.

HGHJMvfl.png

Sirialis on
  • MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Sirialis wrote: »
    Going as a group makes it harder in Survival if you ask me (because of limited resources, granted I've only played PvE), going solo and finding good gear spots for every spawn makes a huge difference. (also check your map when you see "xxx has died" to see if they are near by!)

After you reach the DZ and get the Antivirals (try to remember where the Division Tech boxes are too, they look like long containers, need them to craft HE guns), try to gear up with HE gear as much as you can before heading to the Extraction (HE G36 is a monster), my favorite skills were Pulse and Medkit, used the Carpark because I know that area like the palm of my hand from old DZ times.

If you stand inside the one staircase there, the Hunter will always try to shoot you from above a container directly opposite the staircase exit, he cant easily "run away" from this spot and that made him far easier to deal with in my experience.

https ://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyTsi4eYZ0E
    This was the run I got Master Rank from I think.

http://i.imgur.com/HGHJMvfl.png

I actually find going in a group easier.

The trick is to split up in the beginning, and doing the buddy system, where at least one other player is at least close enough to come help if there's a though group or you go down.

And once everybody is geared enough, group back up and hit the DZ.

Lots of equiptment and meds can be shared, so try and keep the lowest timer guy alive.

And it seems that everybody gets a Div tech when someone claims their meds (might be proximity based)

And once you call for extraction, run away a bit so all the hunters come from the same direction.

You get less score sometimes by going down and getting revived, and by not always crafting a flaregun (only one needs to), but more than if you died outright.

Besides, having others to talk to makes the ~hour long session less tedious.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Neat.

Man, I really wish the game had launched with all of this stuff.

• ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    But then what would they push for their season pass? :P

76561197966849367.png
    New story missions?

Yeah, the part that sucks is that I'm super into Survival, but none of my friends will touch the game at this point especially not if they have to drop more money into something that left kind of a negative impression overall with the lack of endgame content @ launch.

Maybe if they started doing free weekends occasionally to let people taste the new stuff that would probably go a long way.

Could at least have given us a date.

• darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    1.6 info specifically - http://tomclancy-thedivision.ubi.com/game/en-US/news/detail.aspx?c=tcm:152-282273-16&ct=tcm:148-76770-32

Reddit post breaking it down even further with specifics. https://www.reddit.com/r/thedivision/comments/5p40kq/update_16_in_detail/

I like the idea of the Dark Zone pretty much doubling in size but keeping the player count the same. Does this mean I will start to venture back in there.... unlikely. I really don't play this game for PVP (I don't play any game for PVP to be honest) not interested in the 8 vs 8 at all. Doesnt sound like much for the PVE player (new incursion... FAaaaaaart) other than the tweaks and changes to the base game.

No news on making the LZ more appealing.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
    edited January 2017
    I sure as hell hope they fixed the mob grenade spam in 1.6 because I just picked up that Season Pass loot thing and I got literally showered with 50-70 fucking grenades from those 10 mobs, it was just a constant barrage of them, coupled with their electrifying bullshit ammo.

How about you limit them to 1 or 2 grenades each.

Sirialis on
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Some of that stuff was interesting but I laughed out loud at two places. 1) Last Stand straight up confirms my thesis that Division agents are all violent sociopaths. "You're here to stop the Rogues. Note that you'll always see the OTHER team as Rogues, you're ALWAYS the good guys." That's exactly Keener's world view! No matter what you do, your side is in the right... the game mode.

2) They introducing more customization gear... with microtransactions. Fuuuuuuck fee to pay elements in $60 games with expensive season passes.

• HerothHeroth Registered User regular
    Some of that stuff was interesting but I laughed out loud at two places. 1) Last Stand straight up confirms my thesis that Division agents are all violent sociopaths. "You're here to stop the Rogues. Note that you'll always see the OTHER team as Rogues, you're ALWAYS the good guys." That's exactly Keener's world view! No matter what you do, your side is in the right... the game mode.

2) They introducing more customization gear... with microtransactions. Fuuuuuuck fee to pay elements in $60 games with expensive season passes.

Its not even microtransactions!

Its bullshit 'premium currency' why do i have to convert my fucking real-life money into your bullshit money? i can understand using 'premium currency' when you can earn it in-game somehow (like warframe) but they said that wouldn't be the case!

Its just the same bullshit 'bioware points' all over again, the only reason i don't have any of the Mass effect 3 DLC, i'm not paying 50 bucks to buy DLC, let alone Five year old DLC...

1Gn4PNI.png
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    The new gameplay mode doesn't confirm anything. It's just an 8v8 matchmaking mode. They completely gave up on anything resembling a story in this game after the initial game it looks like.

If you don't want to pay for emotes don't pay for emotes. I know I sure as hell won't be.

The thing that looks like shit to me is the balance changes. I'll wait and see how it all shakes out in game but I'm not optimistic.

edited January 2017
    I was kind of hoping for a story based Horde mode with some added depth, a 8vs8 PvP thing wasnt what I expected, but I'll wait and see.

A lot of their 1.6 changes seems to have a common goal.

To make everything worse than it was.

"Armor is being removed as Major Bonus."

"Frontline set will disable your ability Shield Mods."

"You cant sprint and reload anymore."

Sirialis on
    The new gameplay mode doesn't confirm anything. It's just an 8v8 matchmaking mode. They completely gave up on anything resembling a story in this game after the initial game it looks like.

If you don't want to pay for emotes don't pay for emotes. I know I sure as hell won't be.

The thing that looks like shit to me is the balance changes. I'll wait and see how it all shakes out in game but I'm not optimistic.

In a normal game, you play as the bad team half the time. Terrorists, the Horde, the Covenant, etc. Only Division Agents are convinced that they personally are on the good team while anyone in their way is a "Rogue" who should be shot on sight. Even though it's unintentional messaging from the devs, I think it works perfectly for this setting and lore. Keener promised your Agent would see he was right, and that's been completely true.

edited January 2017

In a normal game, you play as the bad team half the time. Terrorists, the Horde, the Covenant, etc. Only Division Agents are convinced that they personally are on the good team while anyone in their way is a "Rogue" who should be shot on sight. Even though it's unintentional messaging from the devs, I think it works perfectly for this setting and lore. Keener promised your Agent would see he was right, and that's been completely true.

Counterstrike and Halo aren't the only games out there. There are many games that don't have good team vs bad team. Also if you're playing Horde you're not playing the "bad team" half the time :P

I guess I don't see it as unintentional messaging, I see it as reading into things to the point of absurdity

But I doubt we're going to convince one another of anything at this point so I'm just gonna drop it

HappylilElf on
    It's just what Ubisoft does. Like in Watch_Dogs 1 & 2 you are always Aiden/Marcus and the other players show up as a random "somebody else" avatar. The narrative is more exciting if you're the main character, and since it's a game, they can code it so you always see yourself as the main character.

I don't mind the instanced narrative stuff much, it makes sense and plenty of games have done a similar thing. The Dark Zone always bothered me because you could go murder another agent for their hat and they would still lauded you as the hero when you got back and rewarded you.

GSM wrote: »
    It's just what Ubisoft does. Like in Watch_Dogs 1 & 2 you are always Aiden/Marcus and the other players show up as a random "somebody else" avatar. The narrative is more exciting if you're the main character, and since it's a game, they can code it so you always see yourself as the main character.

It's not what they always do though. In R6, you're terrorists half the time. Same in GR. In Assassin's Creed, you ALL are bad guys. The Watch Dogs guys are another group of "not really in the right" protagonists, so that fits.

• MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    GSM wrote: »

It's not what they always do though. In R6, you're terrorists half the time. Same in GR. In Assassin's Creed, you ALL are bad guys. The Watch Dogs guys are another group of "not really in the right" protagonists, so that fits.

In Watch_Dogs, mean means what appears on your screen is not what appears on the other person's screen. It's always you as "Protagonist" versus him as "Not-protagonist".

And the guys in Watch_Dogs_2 are not the good guys.

But there's nothing wrong with changing what the different players see, I wanted that back in the TF2 days. Would have been easy for them to always make your team blue and the enemy team red.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I may reinstall and boot this up to try the Survival stuff and see this new patch. Someone tell me: I haven't played since the first DLC launched. Are there a lot of noticeable UI tweaks and QoL improvements? I mean, I've read about the many changes to the game since then, but because I'm shallow and have a backlog (like all of us), is the game noticeably improved from the jump, or would I need to invest 20 hours or whatever to see the good changes?

Asking as a lapsed MMO player, mostly.

Also: does Survival give you rewards or currency that you can use to buy the good items? Grinding BirdBux was fun at first - it's my preferred method of grinding out gear in MMOs, see Justice Badges from WoW or whatever - but it got old when the amounts needed were super, super high.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Survival gives you gear in the form of crates, you get more if you complete, but you usually get a handful of items so long as you last a short time and get a few of the tasks done.

I started just after Christmas and got to level 30 in a reasonable timeframe, at which point it's pretty easy to advance through the world tiers to the highest one, so you can get max level drops. I just finished out the missions and did the dalies for a bit and I had more than enough gear dropping for me.

I can't really speak towards UI improvements and so on as while I did play the open beta, that was ages ago so I have a fuzzy memory of how things worked at best.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    I may reinstall and boot this up to try the Survival stuff and see this new patch. Someone tell me: I haven't played since the first DLC launched. Are there a lot of noticeable UI tweaks and QoL improvements? I mean, I've read about the many changes to the game since then, but because I'm shallow and have a backlog (like all of us), is the game noticeably improved from the jump, or would I need to invest 20 hours or whatever to see the good changes?

Asking as a lapsed MMO player, mostly.

Also: does Survival give you rewards or currency that you can use to buy the good items? Grinding BirdBux was fun at first - it's my preferred method of grinding out gear in MMOs, see Justice Badges from WoW or whatever - but it got old when the amounts needed were super, super high.

UI hasn't changed much. They added a way to jump down to the next gear category when selling gear and such (so you can more quickly get to the backpacks or whatnot instead of having to scroll past all your guns first), but it often does not work when using the stash (I think it depends on platform?).

Regarding QoL, it's mostly been minor convenience and anti-griefing stuff, like not being able to kick players from a group during or shortly after a boss fight, a buy-back option at vendors, you can 'lock' items to prevent you from accidentally selling or salvaging them, stuff like that. One of the biggest things is that weapon skins are now just unlocks now rather than items that take up space.

They also introduced World-Tiers, which lets you increase the difficulty and rewards of enemies you face out in the city.

Dizzen on
    Finally got my first extraction in survival. At some point me and my buddy found what were clearly dead player caches which allowed us to be super powerful for the hunters. Really satisfying to finally beat it.

• BradicusMaximusBradicusMaximus Pssssssssyyyyyyyy duckRegistered User regular
    I've started looking for dead players immediately after the notification now.

A lot of times you can just get stacked off of other player's gear without even having to touch a landmark

Newest Jimquisition points out that Ubisoft specifically stated they would NOT do microtransactions, not even for Cosmetics, pre-launch. Unsurprising Ubisoft lies are unsurprising, more at 11.

edited January 2017
    I dont see why they have to nerf everything again 1.6, how about buffing the shit thats too weak instead?
    Newest Jimquisition points out that Ubisoft specifically stated they would NOT do microtransactions, not even for Cosmetics, pre-launch. Unsurprising Ubisoft lies are unsurprising, more at 11.

RK9QzA8l.jpg

Yeah... I'm not going to spend a dime on cosmetic items, sadly others will and this trend is something that doesnt seem to go away anytime soon.

Sirialis on
    I keep seeing Ubisoft/Massive post stuff about Last Stand on my newsfeed, it says "All about Last Stand DLC"

... That apparently doesnt include the one thing I care about.

A release date.

After spending months farming/tweaking complementary pairs of weapons and carefully tuning every piece of multiple gearsets I'm kind of super uninterested in the game with this patch coming down the line

It kinda feels like I put months into the game so they could say "lawl just kidding"

• HerothHeroth Registered User regular
    After spending months farming/tweaking complementary pairs of weapons and carefully tuning every piece of multiple gearsets I'm kind of super uninterested in the game with this patch coming down the line

It kinda feels like I put months into the game so they could say "lawl just kidding"

'No no! don't worry! we aren't increasing the gear score! so all that hard earned gear won't go to waste!

Wait? whats that? we are changing armour, health, adding new vital main/secondary stats that won't be able to be re-rolled onto old gear? and we aren't resetting the rolls on your current gear anyway so you'll have to re-farm all that gear *anyway*?

I don't understand what your complaining about! we aren't increasing the world tier or gear score!'

But seriously, i'm right there with you... what a fucking pointless grind... i get it, lots of games do it! its a way to 'move the game forward' and keep people interested... the difference is those other games actually introduce new game-play elements/maps, modes ect. to take advantage of the (forced) gear re-farm, while 'The division' Adds... pvp were the gear doesn't matter?

1Gn4PNI.png
  • SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    It's because the devs are so stubbornly one-minded that The Division needs to be a PVP oriented game, that they have to completely rebalance everything to fit their grand idea of what they think the game is supposed to be (some sort of grand competitive DayZ/RPG mashup like experience), while completely ignoring what the players actually like about the game (PvE co-op). Half of the devs are admitted PK trolls, so it shouldn't be surprising that the it's the route they have been forcing upon the game.

edited February 2017
    Too bad their PvP so far has been pretty lacking compared to any other modern PvP focused games, of which there are plenty.

I would definitely double down on the PvE + Co-Op aspects of The Division instead, since thats a genre with not a lot games.

The Co-Op is also the reason I got the game in the first place, not PvP, I did however enjoy running Dark Zone as a fully kitted out level 19 at some point, any trolls or gankers that bothered me while I rep grinded DZ got destroyed by my full purple level 19 dude with really good weapons.

Sirialis on
  • DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    Sirialis wrote: »
    Too bad their PvP so far has been pretty lacking compared to any other modern PvP focused game, of which there are plenty.

I would definitely double down on the PvE + Co-Op aspects of The Division instead, since thats a genre with not a lot games.

The Co-Op is also the reason I got the game in the first place, not PvP, I did however enjoy running Dark Zone as a fully kitted out level 19 at some point, any trolls or gankers that bothered me while I rep grinded DZ got destroyed by my full purple level 19 dude with really good weapons.

All of this... so hard... I wish I could Agree twice. PvE and Co-op was the reason I played for as long as I did. THAT was what separated this game from other, for me at least. That's why it is so disheartening to see they're still trying to push PvP.

I understand that they are more than likely a skeleton crew at this point, merely going through the plans that were laid out during the planning stage, but the fact that the season pass has A) done little to add to the story and B) brought no LZ update, is just mind boggling.