As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX South 2017 BYOC Mega Thread

2»

• [SAL] VeNoM[SAL] VeNoM Registered User regular
    For most #1 rule is a hand cart. There are some pretty popular ones that are cheap. Tub seemed like a good idea the first time as well. Learned the hard way. If you can get your cables and accessories in duffel type bag and shoulder carry it. Use the hand cart for your case and set the monitor on top in or out of the box. You should be able to walk around fairly easy with it. Assuming you don't have a ton of stuff. Some carts are flat and people put it all on one. Some use those stretch bands to secure the gear to the carts.

From what it sounds like there will be a designated entrance away from the normal queue for entrance to BYOC. Though I believe those things are still being worked out and will be desseminated.

• vade281vade281 Registered User regular
    I guess I'll try tub this year and see what others bring. If we get a designated entrance that would be waaay better lol. And if we can start setting up at 8AM, that's even better!

• Platypus KingPlatypus King Registered User regular
    Awesome news everyone! We have more information now on our new location at PAX, including where the load in is! The mailer will include all the information that you need and will be coming shortly. Load-in special entrance will be available Friday 8am-12 noon. This will allow you guys to get your computers set up early so you dont need to worry about hauling everything around.

Sweet, how do we get in on the mailer or is there a list? lol

@vade281 If you have already purchased your BYOC pass then you are already on the list. It will be sent out over the weekend.

• macrogeekmacrogeek Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    When I dragged my mATX PC I carried the monitor/kb/mouse and cables in a tub with handles on top of the PC. Some of the convention centers/city security won't let you bring tools past security, so leave those in the hotel. The support desk usually has a multitool if you have to do an emergency repair.

Remember to update Steam, Origin, Uplay and all your games now, bandwidth is limited at the event.
    Bring a cable lock, a spare network cable, and headphones.

macrogeek on
    Another quick few questions...sorry it's my first time.

Do people take their accessories home for the night? Also is there a list of games a lot of people play or BYOC only tourneys?

edited January 2017
    And do people leave their carts and tubs in the BYOC area? Trying to figure out logistics.. oh yeah when is final teardown on Sunday.. after omegathon?

vade281 on
  • EtaoinEtaoin South Barcrawl Lead, Omeganaut S16 TexasRegistered User regular
    I always leave everything at BYOC and have never had an issue with anything missing etc. I have used a folding wagon to carry my stuff in and stow it under the table.

7paDBmR.png
    Etaoin wrote: »
    I always leave everything at BYOC and have never had an issue with anything missing etc. I have used a folding wagon to carry my stuff in and stow it under the table.

I'm not sure if I should get a wheeled tub or get a push cart.. http://imgur.com/EE9JpaO

• EtaoinEtaoin South Barcrawl Lead, Omeganaut S16 TexasRegistered User regular
    Both look handy but the cart would be easier to stow somewhere out of the way. That's just my 2 cents though.

7paDBmR.png
  • chellerschellers New HampshireRegistered User regular
    Hello! I'm getting all packed up, and I realized my laptop lock does not fit my boyfriends laptop. He has no laptop lock hole. He has a 5mmx1.5mm hole in the side and bottom to make a loop. How unhelpful, Acer. Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions? We've just been looking at ways to make it inconvenient to steal like multiple keyrings in the vent area with a cable and a masterlock.

Hey not sure if i'm a bit late to responding @vade281 but I would probably recommend the push cart. Like said above it would be easier to store

I already bought the wheeled tub :(

@vade281 I dont think you need to worry! I'm sure it will work just fine :)

• TaichanTaichan Registered User regular
    Anyone have a list of games I should have in case I missed something or don't own something so I can get it and download it before the friday?

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I would think overwatch, civ vi, and stardew valley would be relatively popular. I am not sure there's a list though.

• macrogeekmacrogeek Registered User regular
    Overwatch, LoL/HotS/DOTA2, Counter Strike, TF2, Rocket League, Minecraft, Civ.

• pawsomepawsome Registered User new member
    Anyone want to get some less mainstream games that would be good for LAN? Vade and I have Golf with your Friends if anyone wants in on some mini golf mayhem. Some ideas: Jedi Academy, Unreal Tournament, Track Mania, killing floor, gang beasts, Doom, age of empires 2 HD.

edited January 2017
    @Taichan We will be doing a handful of BYOC Tournaments, but due to the nature of not wanting to make people have to buy games I kept a good amount of them free to play. The exceptions are Rocket League, Overwatch, Starcraft II, CS:GO and Minecraft. If you wanna compete in those, I would pick them up :) I will be posting the tournament details very shortly!

Platypus King on
    I'd love to hear everyone's ideas or games they want to play this year in tournaments. I have a list of games currently planned (might want to pick up the games I listed above), but because this is about YOU GUYS and what YOU want to play, id love to hear some feedback :)

• NightfuryNightfury DeBary, FLRegistered User new member
    I've been to QuakeCon a few times and I highly look forward to finally participating in a PAX BYOC.

For games suggestions (in addition to what has been suggested already)...

RTS : Dawn of War (1 or 2) and Company of Heroes 2
    FPS : UT2004 or UT 3 Black Edition
    Basebuilding : Factorio

I'd love to get a game of artemis going and I'm willing to pay for the licensing if others are interested in playing. I've never played it but its always sounded fun. Let me know and I'll it ordered.

• hobbseltoffhobbseltoff Issaquah, WARegistered User regular
    Taichan wrote: »
    I'd love to get a game of artemis going and I'm willing to pay for the licensing if others are interested in playing. I've never played it but its always sounded fun. Let me know and I'll it ordered.

I would be up for that. There was a tournament at West BYOC and that was super fun.

row1.pngrow2.png
    I'd play Artemis! It's been years since I've played it.

Alright. I went ahead and ordered it. It wasn't that expensive anyways so its not a big loss if it doesn't end up happening.

I'll definitely get in on Artemis too. Only played it once so far but it seemed really cool. A friend of mine coming to PAX BYOC also has a license if we do end up doing multiple ships.

• hobbseltoffhobbseltoff Issaquah, WARegistered User regular
    Will the load-in area marked on the map be accessible by foot as well?

row1.pngrow2.png
  • David CoffmanDavid Coffman Registered User, PAX Staff regular
    Nope, that's just for cars. If you're carrying in, it'll probably be much easier to go in through the main lobby.

• taumesontaumeson PAX PC Room Manager Minnesota?Registered User regular
    Nightfury wrote: »
    I'll definitely get in on Artemis too. Only played it once so far but it seemed really cool. A friend of mine coming to PAX BYOC also has a license if we do end up doing multiple ships.

We love Artemis, but it's a hard thing to get together. Good luck.
    Nope, that's just for cars. If you're carrying in, it'll probably be much easier to go in through the main lobby.

Yup, and if you are hauling your gear you don't need to wait in the main line! MAKE SURE YOU HAVE YOUR BYOC BADGE FOR EARLY ACCESS THOUGH.

yBfDKg5.png
  • KnuckleSangwichKnuckleSangwich TexasRegistered User regular
    For a fun LAN FPS I'd highly recommend old school Quake 2. I'd be happy to host a local server there and you can get an updated game client for any newer system over at TastySpleen.

http://q2s.tastyspleen.net/

l4Nx8vk.png
  • mayapplemayapple TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I had a blast with the wiki search game and league is always a solid.

I usually leave everything at byoc. Knock on wood never had an issue. I will however bag stuff up and stow it at night. Just a thought. We are usually in the byoc sooo there's that too

e6txb8m8cavf.png

• KnuckleSangwichKnuckleSangwich TexasRegistered User regular
    Any chance the internet/bandwidth situation is going to improve at all?

l4Nx8vk.png
  • [SAL] VeNoM[SAL] VeNoM Registered User regular
    I wanted to say I was thoroughly impressed with the BYOC. I had a good time and will look forward to it next year. Thanks to the crew who made it pretty smooth for us all.

I'm glad you guys had a good time. I had a great time running it for you guys! If you guys have recommendations of things you want differently for next year let me know! Or games you want to play. Its about you guys, so lets make it happen.

• ClannMorganClannMorgan Registered User regular
    We had a great time in BYOC! The Enforcers were great, and helped us out at the end when we ran in to a snafu when packing out. Your guys were awesome =}

• SwaeSwae Registered User regular
    Had a great time at BYOC as always, despite my laptop not wanting to actually play games for the first day and a half.

I will say, I much preferred the space from the previous years, versus being out on the main floor, but I know that is something the BYOC staff have no control over. Likewise, I missed having the LANFest sponsorship/contests/prizes. I'd love to see another vendor step up for next year.

Big thanks to all the enforcers, especially for pinging the cookie brigade to bring us snacks on Saturday. :)

• jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    Swae wrote: »
    Had a great time at BYOC as always, despite my laptop not wanting to actually play games for the first day and a half.

I will say, I much preferred the space from the previous years, versus being out on the main floor, but I know that is something the BYOC staff have no control over. Likewise, I missed having the LANFest sponsorship/contests/prizes. I'd love to see another vendor step up for next year.

Big thanks to all the enforcers, especially for pinging the cookie brigade to bring us snacks on Saturday. :)

My number one priority for PAX is to make sure there's a box of cookies on the PC security desk. Checking in machines is secondary. :biggrin:

Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!