As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

LIVE. WORK. REPEAT.

Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road]Registered User regular
edited January 2017 in Social Entropy++
This is the new job thread. I really just wanted another chance to use this thread title after I got beat last time I tried it.

In job news, today I ran over a chameleon and now I feel sad.

Brovid Hasselsmof on

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Well, they are pretty hard to see.

sig.gif
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    You guys

I get so much awesome shit at this job.

They're all like "Yo you want MS Office for your home computer? Here ya go! Oh you don't have Windows 10 yet? You want regular or Enterprise version? Oh, Server 2016? Here ya go!"

I swear to god Oprah is our CIO.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    You guys

I get so much awesome shit at this job.

They're all like "Yo you want MS Office for your home computer? Here ya go! Oh you don't have Windows 10 yet? You want regular or Enterprise version? Oh, Server 2016? Here ya go!"

I swear to god Oprah is our CIO.

MSDN is a hell of a thing.

jaziek on
    Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    What I wouldn't give for transferable licenses for our software rather than OEM bullshit. I want to install SSD's on a few of the computers at work, and I'm not sure if the benefit is worth the hassle re: transfers.

• SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    Still working at a movie theater sweeping up popcorn. In a little over a month, it will have been 20 years since I started working at a movie theater sweeping up popcorn.

Managed to pick up a bachelors and masters degree somewhere in the middle there, but eh, maybe a better job this year.

• HyperBalladHyperBallad A ball of vivid colour and barely contained emotions Sydney. Lost in time and space.Registered User regular
    This is the new job thread. I really just wanted another chance to use this thread title after I got beat last time I tried it.

Wait, you live/work in a place that has chameleons?!

Gimme pretty lizard! *grabby hands*

Steam: poetic_gecko.
    2DS/3DS Friend code 0361-7385-2366
    Twitter: @PoeticGecko
  • JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    So who do I owe red pandas to?

• HyperBalladHyperBallad A ball of vivid colour and barely contained emotions Sydney. Lost in time and space.Registered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »

Me.

Steam: poetic_gecko.
    2DS/3DS Friend code 0361-7385-2366
    Twitter: @PoeticGecko
  • godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular

The Virginia Zoo, you fiend.

Also, me!

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    We have alligator lizards at work. Those suckers are fast.

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Hi work thread!

I'm currently at the point where I'm coming to terms with the fact that my job is soul-draining and joyless, the culture is cold and borderline toxic, and that I can barely stand 99.9% of my colleagues.

I really need to get out, for my own mental health. I know for a fact that I no longer want anything to do with what I currently do (risk management/paralegal).

But hoo boy, do I have absolutely no freakin' idea of what I want to do instead, and that fact is sure putting a big old dampener on my motivation.

This is going to be a fun year.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    How I feel about working at the hell known to men anymore
    tumblr_njtfataCyJ1s80xa7o1_500.gif
    Because if it got me out of there I would do that

• RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Job thread!

After a shift in leadership back in August, my company has become a hostile back biting den of bullshit! Since I was the one foolish enough to point this out to my superior, I now feel like I'm being specifically targeted for removal.

Hurray for middle management shit. All I want is for my team to not get screwed over until I manage to find a new job. But in this economy... New jobs are hard to come by.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular

Wait, you live/work in a place that has chameleons?!

Gimme pretty lizard! *grabby hands*

This one wasn't so pretty, on account of its brains being squeezed out through its nose.

godmode wrote: »

The Virginia Zoo, you fiend.

Also, me!

@godmode

Oh no!

Congratulations though! :biggrin:

czh1dk.jpg

Me.

@HyperBallad

Yay! Congratulations! :biggrin:

32402895441_e10361dcf1_z.jpg

Brainleech wrote: »
    How I feel about working at the hell known to men anymore
    tumblr_njtfataCyJ1s80xa7o1_500.gif
    Because if it got me out of there I would do that

@Brainleech

So what are your requirements for a new job? You're in Albuquerque, right? And it has to be accessible by public transportation?

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    I always keep saying "get this man to a different town" like I'm always telling Uriel to go play with swords

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Really I am going to move after trying a few places and seeing what is out there is just sad
    Really it's sad because the state is in debt about 600m there are no federal or state jobs and they are firing them left and right
    I went to one interview and got asked why have I stayed at the hell known to men for this long? why? and laughed at when they pointed out my degree.
    Really this side of town is tearing itself apart

The problem is if I save my pto refund and my tax refunds I will have money! but no idea where I want to go or what to do

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Don't you hate when you're tending the cooking fire and stand too close and feel all the moisture instantly vaporize off of your eyeballs.

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Coworker asked me to read his book.

I had my own book to read.

• BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    Going to be a long week waiting to hear back from this full time CS rep job for a major phone company

I feel that I did well in the (5 hour!!) interview

The concession I have been working in for the last 18 months (and the company for 4.5 years) that gives me sadbrain and ~8 hours a week is closing in mid Feb with everyone needing to find employment so this would be really great to finish my time there, get some redundo and move into a fulltime with benefits gig

• Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Working in DC, I don't mind protests for things I don't believe in or oppose. Even if I don't like it protest is one of those things that needs to happen in our capital city.

But man I am not a fan of Pro Life and Anti Circumcision protesters. They just love using gore imagery that makes my tours of the city awkward for families I'm entertaining.

VRXwDW7.png
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    Working in DC, I don't mind protests for things I don't believe in or oppose. Even if I don't like it protest is one of those things that needs to happen in our capital city.

But man I am not a fan of Pro Life and Anti Circumcision protesters. They just love using gore imagery that makes my tours of the city awkward for families I'm entertaining.

Harden your soul....or give them a creepy mmmmmmmmmmmmm

• RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    There's an Anti Circumcision protest? Is it part of the pro life thing?

Radiation on
    PSN: jfrofl
  • MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Radiation wrote: »

...What?

• SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    So, is there a downside to double checking that someone has received my materials for a job posting? I sent the things in almost ten days ago, and according to the email applications are being reviewed as they arrived, but I've heard nothing so far.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Skeith wrote: »
    So, is there a downside to double checking that someone has received my materials for a job posting? I sent the things in almost ten days ago, and according to the email applications are being reviewed as they arrived, but I've heard nothing so far.

Automated job postings can be a mixed bag. Generally if you don't hear anything that's implied to mean you were denied. But following up to see if there's any other paperwork or if there's a status on the application might get you somewhere.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    It's not automated, is the thing. I got it through my old department's listserv.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

Probably. It's definitely a "thing" in right wing MRA culture.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Smof if you're taking orders for smuggled wildlife I would like a cheetah cub please. I promise to take very good care of it and take it out for runs every single day.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular

It's not part of the current pro life one, it's a separate thing I see often in the spring. They just love dressing in white pants with red dye around their crotch

VRXwDW7.png
    I wonder if it's an anti Jew/muslim thing?

• LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Isn't circumcision a rather wide spread practice in the US? I think I remember reading that once.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »
    Isn't circumcision a rather wide spread practice in the US? I think I remember reading that once.

It is.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    edited January 2017

It is quite common, yes, to the point where I didn't realize it wasn't the standard everywhere until probably college.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    The more you know!

• korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I wonder if it's an anti Jew/muslim thing?

No, it's just that a lot of guys nowadays get really hella upset about having been circumcised when they were newborns and had no consent to the matter.

Like most things that eventually slide into heavy MRA-territory, there are salient points on the matter that should be addressed, but it tends to devolve into crazy town (including some anti-Jew/muslim stuff) the further along you go from "Yeah, it sucks and I wish it hadn't been done without my consent."

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular

Probably. It's definitely a "thing" in right wing MRA culture.

MRAs are awful but circumcision doesn't sit right with me at all. (When there is no consent, anyway. If you're an adult you can modify you body however you want, but doing it to babies when there is no medical need is just wrong.)

broken image link
    The more you know!

#dickfacts

cdci44qazyo3.gif

This discussion has been closed.