As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Nintendo Switch at PAX South

OpSteelOpSteel neighbor of the village pindiotFort Worth TEXASRegistered User regular
Looks like Nintendo will be showing the Switch at South. We actually get something!!!

http://www.polygon.com/2016/12/16/13956176/nintendo-switch-preview-tour-dates

• darkinferodarkinfero BOP-IT Malden, MARegistered User regular
    OpSteel wrote: »
    Looks like Nintendo will be showing the Switch at South. We actually get something!!!

I guess I know what I will also be doing at south.

My Pin collection
    signature_zpsna6t17lm.png
    Pinny Pal since PAX Prime 2013
  • ahstoddardahstoddard President-kidnapping Ninja Houston-ishRegistered User regular
    darkinfero wrote: »
    OpSteel wrote: »

I guess I know what I will also be doing at south.

Waiting in line?

B2YfFSb.png
  • DigitalCarnageDigitalCarnage CEO Orion Hosting LLC VARegistered User regular
    This will be awesome I have wanted to check it out.

dK28F6R.png
  • Canderson1989Canderson1989 Registered User regular
    There goes the remaining tickets. LMAO!!!

Anyway, that's excellent news.

• Josh5890Josh5890 ChicagoRegistered User regular
    That is something my group will definitely check out. Friday will no doubt be the best day to do it if you get in line early enough. Otherwise that will be the ultimate line of Pax South 2017.

This space for rent
  • angelicstubbornessangelicstubborness Registered User regular
    I'll wait in that line lol

• StinkyTurdStinkyTurd Registered User regular
    I'll wait in that line lol

We'll all wait in that line ideally on Friday when there's less all of us at pax.

ok guys what games do you want me to bring to play while we wait. :biggrin:

dK28F6R.png
  • shimwoodshimwood Registered User regular
    Super Mario Kart

khd33hubozxv.png
    Super Bomberman

This space for rent
    As far as mario kart I will have my 3ds. we can play that. and I have bomberman on wii.

dK28F6R.png
  • Yarrr ImA PirateYarrr ImA Pirate Registered User new member
    Bill Lambeers Combat Basketball

Their booth could be 10 times as big with a lot more consoles and there would still be a two hour wait lop

This space for rent
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Too many people at the booths.

• Christopher HuffChristopher Huff Registered User regular
    I'll rather have a guaranteed time wait than a "Sorry, this line is capped" message telling me to come back later.

gVqmaCN.png
  • wolfemancswolfemancs Registered User regular
    Guaranteed time kinda sucks too though. That's what they did for FF XV at West, and I got there 2.5 hours before the show opened, went straight to the booth, and was about half way through the total number of people. From talking to the last of the people who made it in, they got there 2 hours before the show.

If you're supper committed it works, but it made it so you couldn't just stumble upon it and decide, hey this is neat, and try it.

edited January 2017
    Yeah, I see the other side of the coin there, which is why PAX South in a way made me decide to cancel my PAX West 2017 ambitions. Now sure it wasn't the primary reason, but it was enough to push me past the edge. I LOVE being able to literally walk up to a booth/panel/whatever without having to dedicate a whole bunch of time for it. I imagine that you don't get that luxury with East and certainly not West. But this is a learning experience for future PAX events as my logistics of my Friday schedule were all thrown off mainly due to time spent in lines. "How much interesting stuff can you can cram into your schedule without being turned away" is the game.

Christopher Huff on
    gVqmaCN.png
  • Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    I really made some mistakes signing up for Enforcing all three days.

Finally got in the Zelda line. I highly regret not doing this first.

gVqmaCN.png
    Lol on the very least demo I guess a few people left the line or the miss counted but I was able to slide right in.

Were you able to get one of those Breath of the Wild T-Shirts?

gVqmaCN.png
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I did not bother with the lines. I just looked at the Switch from afar. I did do the Samsung VR though.

Were you able to get one of those Breath of the Wild T-Shirts?

No but I did get the Zelda button and the Nintendo pin :) also damn this seems felt fing good to play the little boy of Combat I got to try had a real weight to it.

I couldn't tell since it just seemed like a mob scene but where there two lines at the Switch Booth? One for Zelda and one for the other games? I heard that from someone but I could never tell since it was hard to just pass by the booth.

This space for rent
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Yes, there were two separate lines.

Josh5890 wrote: »
    I couldn't tell since it just seemed like a mob scene but where there two lines at the Switch Booth? One for Zelda and one for the other games? I heard that from someone but I could never tell since it was hard to just pass by the booth.

yea sticking the switch booth right next to the valve merch booth was terrible planning the valve merch booth is always packed and everyone knew the switch line would be a shit show.

• NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    Well, it took me a few tries, but I did eventually make it through the Zelda line.

Friday I made an honest attempt at scoping out what would be required to get in line, but it was ultimately too confusing. There seemed to be 3 different lines going on, or maybe 2 lines and a mob in front.

Saturday I got to the convention center around 9 am, but that was way too late to make it into the first batch of people allowed in the line. I thought the enforcers were guiding us towards the line, but the next thing I knew I was standing in the middle of nowhere, no line in sight. I guess they were just trying to push us past the Nintendo booth.

Sunday I got to the convention center around 8 am, and damn near almost made into the first line for Zelda, but there was just too much shoving. Alas. Guy told me to come back in 40 minutes, so I'm think that's time to hit the bathroom. Come back, and new people are in line... whaaaaaat?

I guess that was a bit of tactical misinformation. Say 40 minutes, actually uncap every 20 minutes. Alright, lesson learned.

I mill around, keep my eye on when the cap moves forward, and manage to make it into the second uncapping.

All in all it took me from 8 am to 2 pm to successfully play Zelda. IMHO it was worth it.

The problem with any line system is it will leave people feeling burned. It either favors people who just get lucky, in this case being near the line cap position when the line is uncapped. Or you favor people who line up at 5 am, and nobody else even gets close. Either people who are willing to commit to showing up earlier feel like they got shafted, or people who feel like everyone should have a chance feel like they got shafted.

Same as everything really. Equality of outcome vs equality of opportunity.

I really wish there was a hybrid approach that was maybe 50/50. Half the play slots were appointments made early, and half the play slots were people who lucked out and got into the line during the 7 seconds it was uncapped. But maybe a hybrid approach like that just isn't efficient, and causes too much confusion and results in fewer people getting to play the game overall.

• PotatoemanPotatoeman Registered User regular
    My Girlfriend and I both got on stage and played Arms; we went 3-0. Definitely the highlight of South for us! We both got a Nintendo hat, but they forced me to give away a BotW Shirt and specifically said I couldn't give it to my girlfriend :x Still, amazing fun