As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MechWarrior/Battletech] The Oosik Irregulars are going to become canon! *EVACUATE THREAD*

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    The speed boost of MASC was tremendously buffed since its release, but the real advantage is the improved acceleration rate.

This can not be emphasized enough, @Kay . The stop and go acceleration provided by MASC makes the Shadowcat a hell of a thing to play. Two CERPPCs can do some work on the go, even when folks know full well where you are. You can zoom into position, stop, fire, and disappear going guddamn backward if need be before they can get on target. None of this slow waddling you see in regular corner peeking. When I play the thing I often see return fire just barely missing me because of the atypical movement.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    I shall look into it! Once I get some money to spend on CL.LPL or CL.ERPPC.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I was just thinking about heavy lasers. The only way I figure they'll manage the accuracy penalty is with an even longer beam duration. Plus basically twice the heat and damage of standard IS lasers.

They might be great, but they might suck.

It all depends on how PGI balances this new Clan technology (lol)

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    I was just thinking about heavy lasers. The only way I figure they'll manage the accuracy penalty is with an even longer beam duration. Plus basically twice the heat and damage of standard IS lasers.

They won't do it, but I think a scaling amount of "HUD corruption" based on the number/weight of Heavy lasers equipped to your 'Mech would be neat.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    Nips wrote: »

They won't do it, but I think a scaling amount of "HUD corruption" based on the number/weight of Heavy lasers equipped to your 'Mech would be neat.

Yeah plus that was actually the drawback in the fiction

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I cant see heavy lasers making it in.

Even if they did, I cant imagine clans would run them. its 6 more damage for 6 more heat compared to C-ERLLs. Then again they weigh the same as C-ERLLs so I'm sure b33f will put 16 on a direwolf.

then again, again, PGI will probably make them have half heat or something because "the clans are such underdogs"

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    I cant see heavy lasers making it in.

Even if they did, I cant imagine clans would run them. its 6 more damage for 6 more heat compared to C-ERLLs. Then again they weigh the same as C-ERLLs so I'm sure b33f will put 16 on a direwolf.

then again, again, PGI will probably make them have half heat or something because "the clans are such underdogs"

Triple heatsinks.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    In a weird sniping mood, decided to give this a go after hating this variant for awhile.

CPLT-K2 - 1xGauss, 2xERPPC

It's been...surprisingly not-shit so far.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    So, I had some rather unexciting games this morning, and I still needed to get my match with 250 points for the day. Dropped in the trial Zeus just for kicks to give SRMs a try....

iifkibl96kw0.jpg

zeus.jpg 362.8K
    The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Spectrum wrote: »
    In a weird sniping mood, decided to give this a go after hating this variant for awhile.

I'd personally put both PPCs in the ears, so you can snipe with both when terrain isnt favorable for your much lower torso mounted gauss.

Then again I understand the risk with the gigantic billboard ears.

You could go full toaster, too, and avoid the risk of the gauss bomb CPLT-K2 4xERPPC

Buttcleft on
  • Options

I'd personally put both PPCs in the ears, so you can snipe with both when terrain isnt favorable for your much lower torso mounted gauss.

You could go full toaster, too, and avoid the risk of the gauss bomb CPLT-K2 4xERPPC
    Two ERPPCs is already rather hot, I was messing around with builds and comparing to in-game. 4 it just can't carry the heatsinks. Also the idea was to get a high alpha without worrying about ghost heat.

I waffled back and forth, and yeah the billboard ears let me to keep the other one torso mounted. Also lets me have a sidepeek sort of, the cockpit is lower enough that aiming for hillpeeking is actually kind of awkward IMO.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular

That's a smaller, faster, less stupid variant of my favorite KGC build. The KGC runs 2x Gauss, 2x PPC. I think I may pick up a Catapult.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options

Two ERPPCs is already rather hot, I was messing around with builds and comparing to in-game. 4 it just can't carry the heatsinks. Also the idea was to get a high alpha without worrying about ghost heat.

I waffled back and forth, and yeah the billboard ears let me to keep the other one torso mounted. Also lets me have a sidepeek sort of, the cockpit is lower enough that aiming for hillpeeking is actually kind of awkward IMO.

Fair points all.

But on the topic of toaster builds.

AS7-D 1xGauss 2xERPPC 2xSRM6

Since Atlases cant stand up for more than a second in the brawl anymore thanks to clan power creep, I was thinking of a long range atlas. Gauss+PPC like you have, but with SRMs as a close range deterrent

• Options
    Konphujun wrote: »

That's a smaller, faster, less stupid variant of my favorite KGC build. The KGC runs 2x Gauss, 2x PPC. I think I may pick up a Catapult.
    Just be mindful that you're fairly fragile once you start taking damage. Most of my matches I was able to stay to the end and put out 500 pinpoint damage, a couple matches I was too aggressive and got exploded after doing only 100.

Since Atlases cant stand up for more than a second in the brawl anymore thanks to clan power creep, I was thinking of a long range atlas. Gauss+PPC like you have, but with SRMs as a close range deterrent
    You don't need a close range deterrent, just headshot anyone that comes close!

Yeah, I'm still working on that part.

I dunno, feels weird to not run the AC/20 in the -D given the works but I also totally understand the theory of not brawling with an Atlas. The problem I think is that the weapon mounts are just bad for sniping and it has such a huge profile and can't poptart even. You have to crest very far to try and use the arms for sniping and side peeking only gives you the Gauss+1 PPC.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2017

Fair points all.

If you're gunna do that, you gotta go all in. Engage at maximum range, full tilt, with everything you have. AS7-D

EDIT: This is a build I have run to great effect in QP. My logic is that you gotta waddle your way into fights regardless, you may as well be useful on your way in. Between the LL and LRMs, you can put up some numbers while you close. You're no good in a brawl, but you really shouldn't be brawling as an atlas anyway. If you do end up brawling, the LL and gauss work well enough, definitely better than a few piddly SRMs.

Konphujun on
  • Options

Fair points all.

If you're gunna do that, you gotta go all in. Engage at maximum range, full tilt, with everything you have. AS7-D

EDIT: This is a build I have run to great effect in QP. My logic is that you gotta waddle your way into fights regardless, you may as well be useful on your way in. Between the LL and LRMs, you can put up some numbers while you close. You're no good in a brawl, but you really shouldn't be brawling as an atlas anyway. If you do end up brawling, the LL and gauss work well enough, definitely better than a few piddly SRMs.
    While the Atlas is a posterchild for 'unstoppable juggernaut' 'Mech designs in the lore, and a seemingly natural fit for shifting Structure Quirks into Armor Quirks, the data indicates that a number of Atlas variants are currently performing on-target with their current Quirk layout

Patchnotes seem relevant somehow.

• Options

Fair points all.

While the Atlas is a posterchild for 'unstoppable juggernaut' 'Mech designs in the lore, and a seemingly natural fit for shifting Structure Quirks into Armor Quirks, the data indicates that a number of Atlas variants are currently performing on-target with their current Quirk layout

Arent you the one that repeatedly complains that the Atlas (and all assaults) gets its torso weapons crit out the minute your armor is breached? Sounds like a bad trait to have in a brawl.

• Options

Fair points all.

Arent you the one that repeatedly complains that the Atlas (and all assaults) gets its torso weapons crit out the minute your armor is breached? Sounds like a bad trait to have in a brawl.

Yes, which is why I find PGIs patchnotes about the Atlas being an unstoppable juggernaut a prime example of their divorce from reality, and posted them again because it was relevant.

The Atlas has to avoid brawls and enemy fire, because its too fragile. The unstoppable juggernaut is too fragile

• Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    I do love seeing atlases in a brawl, because theyre so easy to outmaneuver and its like shooting a man-shaped barn.

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    I know @Konphujun and @Buttcleft asked me how I like my Bushwhackers. All I have to say that they are growing on me. They're pretty durable and I'm pretty sure that switching to a non XL engine helps me with this build. Here's the build I'm running with BSW-X2.
    BushwhackerX2.png
    BushwhackerX2_2.png

First took out the Atlas on the top after he focused on the two Assaults that were facing him when he came up the ramp. Then he tried to duck behind a pillar and I popped his AC 20 side with my SRMs which sent him up. Then I rounded the corner to take out an Ebon Jag that was trying to snipe my team from behind another pillar. Took out his leg and rounded his body filling him full of missiles while my teammate killed him. Then I ran back to my team after taking fire from a Stalker and spotted an LRM Bushwhacker with 1ML. Tore off after him and killed him with my machine guns underneath. Then it was cleanup duty as we all went after the last 3 enemy mechs. Our Artic Cheetah said that there were two underneath and I followed a Timber Wolf to take them out. The Timber took out their Cataphract as we entered into the basement after I filed his armor away with two salvos from my SRMs. Then there was the enemy Timber Wolf trying to lock his SSRM6s on me. Luckily he focused then on the Artic Cheetah who was hiding behind our Timber Wolf. I launched my last salvo of missiles and then fired off my SL to win the game.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I completed my FRR placement matches last night, plus a few extra matches. It's probably just luck, but I've been winning about 30% of the time. One time I actually got dropped in with a legitimate Steiner unit, about 8 players, which was amazingly fun. The game is just so much fun when folks are organizing, calling targets and moving together. I figure I'll probably run FRR till the end of the week with the Oosiks, then see if I can find an active Clan Wolf unit to join after cause I gotta get that Clan Wolf banner.

The rest of the time, dropping with you guys in quickplay is super fun as well! I love it when I get in a big group of folks.

Last night I also had my best game ever, in a Kodiak which was somewhat unexpected since I'm running those pretty brawlery right now. It was on that moon base map with all the walls, and I was able to get some potatoes to follow me up onto the big, covered platform, where we could hide from LRM spam and reign down righteous fury upon the freebirth nubs. That was my first team top score match, which was pretty great.

I wish I had a bunch more pulse lasers, but I don't want to buy weapons or equipment until after the sale, I'm trying to just buy up chassies at discount while I can.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Honestly the Kodiak is the most easymode mech in the game right now

(Not to take away from your glory, just saying you should not be surprised)

Tox on
  • Options
    Makes sense. I'm not running the gauss vomit setup, but it's still a beefy, not snailspeed weapons platform. I'm running the 1 variant with a gauss, five er med lasers, and a streak srm pod. The gauss is so I have something to do before we get into range, but the lasers do pretty much all the lifting.

• Options
    Decided to do a quick drop this morning in the ol' Stalker-4N to see if it was still good.
    9j1m3n5jxg7e.jpg
    Yup, still good.

• Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I figure I'll probably run FRR till the end of the week with the Oosiks, then see if I can find an active Clan Wolf unit to join after cause I gotta get that Clan Wolf banner.
    Booooo hisssss

Also, just FYI, but be forewarned that Clan Wolf is by far the Clan with the worst players.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    I have not paid attention lately to rewards, what clan banner are you talking about?

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    The ghost bears are the most bro clan.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    Yeah, stay away from Clan Wolf. They are relatively under-represented, population-wise and the active Units they do have compete with Davion for most comedic incompetence. These are the guys that got the game to where it is today. Russ used to drop with one of the wolf units, [SWOL] I think, to get a feel for balance. Those guys were literally worse than pugs. I think that was one of the first Invasion matches where I made it through the entire thing with my first mech.

• Options
    Oh god I completely forgot about SWOL and their whining during CWs. They would completely suck and getting their first wave of mixed mechs. Then hiding near their dropships after the second drop whining how OP IS tech was for the entire match.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    So, if you're a loyalist you can just drop with whoever in factions, I think. You rep for whatever group you feel like. The Steiners I was grouped with last night were making a big deal about how it was cool that I was FRR and I was welcome to drop with them, they didn't care.

Good to know that the Clan Wolf groups are terribad. Since the main thing I want is the pretty pictures, since I played Clan Wolf back in my tabletop days and want to do that, I will see if I can rep Wolf and then just drop in with GB or JF? I do not understand this system, but the stompy bots pew pew the other stompy bots and the numbers go up.

• Options
    only people on wolf are lore nerds who furiously masturbate over their kerensky screen names. Its a laughing stock.

• Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    So, if you're a loyalist you can just drop with whoever in factions, I think. You rep for whatever group you feel like. The Steiners I was grouped with last night were making a big deal about how it was cool that I was FRR and I was welcome to drop with them, they didn't care.

Good to know that the Clan Wolf groups are terribad. Since the main thing I want is the pretty pictures, since I played Clan Wolf back in my tabletop days and want to do that, I will see if I can rep Wolf and then just drop in with GB or JF? I do not understand this system, but the stompy bots pew pew the other stompy bots and the numbers go up.

Yep since the Oosiks are Loyalists we can drop with any IS. The FRR has built up a reputation as being the best because we have years of being organized on the FRR Teamspeak server. Prior to PGI screwing with FW there used to be Clan vs. Clan and IS vs. IS options. So Loyalist meant more back then. Today it is pretty much just an excuse for the Unit Members to get more money at the end of matches, cost money for the Unit to switch factions, and other fluff that doesn't mean anything for IS Units.

At one point it was suggested that newbies who wanted mech bays that they do a rotation through all the Factions to get enough rep to unlock them.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Holy shit guys, its happening, Victor Meta 2017.

https://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/244139-why-does-the-huginn-get-20-tubes-per-launcher-but-the-victor-cant/page__st__20

I've been saving my VTR-9S for almost two years now.

What a day when the Zeus is getting agility quirks and Victors are getting massive armor quirks. I took my Zeus-6S over the weekend, and its not too bad, but your weapon arms get crit so quick. They need to at least swap the arms to armor.

edit: Fantastic Tuesday has an LFE table up, get mechlabbin
    p7qGBTV.jpg

nonoffensive on
  • Options
    only people on wolf are lore nerds who furiously masturbate over their kerensky screen names. Its a laughing stock.

::guiltily puts away the lotion and deletes his Star Colonel Kell signature::

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Holy shit guys, its happening, Victor Meta 2017.

https://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/244139-why-does-the-huginn-get-20-tubes-per-launcher-but-the-victor-cant/page__st__20

I've been saving my VTR-9S for almost two years now.

*snip*

Why does your Victor have Streak ammo but not Streak launchers?

edit - only noticed that because I was trying to figure out how much ammo you had in total. That build looks similar to my -9B loadout

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Probably because I dragged the wrong ammo over. Oops.

• Options
    Every one knows the best clan is the one named after the two best mechs in the game.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Every one knows the best clan is the one named after the two best mechs in the game.

Is there a clan Timbercheetah?

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Syngyne wrote: »

If there is, @Buttcleft is their Khan

• Options
    Syngyne wrote: »

If there is, @Buttcleft is their Khan

TimberCheetah you say?

k7l2t99apqk8.jpg