As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [House] thread and the people who live in them.

Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then?Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
Hey guys? Are you covered in cripling debt due to home ownership? Or are you covered in covered in crippling debt from exorbinate rental prices? Or maybe it's due to your meth addiction (please seek help).

You are talk about it here, are you moving? (it is bad) Are you renovating? (I'm sorry to hear that) Do you hate your neighbours? (I don't)

So the main reason I made the thread was to talk about sliding doors. My house is brick through and through and I want to redo my laundry room. I figure we can get a lot of space back if we install a sliding door and swap out the laundry sink with something a bit smaller and be able install a full length cupboard and a few over head hanging things.

My main question is can you just hang a door on the outside of the brickwork? Usually you build it into the wall, but realistically, that renovation would be well outside the budget I'd want to spend on the room. And if you do, how bad would the sound deadening be as I prefer not to listen to my washer/dryer.

• pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    What?

You can hang a sliding door outside of the hole in the wall, we had doors doing that at the old house either side of the living room if you can recall. The sound deadening's not as good as a traditional door as there's more gap around it (you'll not get it proper flush because movement) but it's better than nowt.

On the other hand, this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umfvm8I9_oU

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Yeah, I was talking about just hanging it on the outside of the wall, but I'm just worried about it looking like crap looking in the from the hallway because the sliding door would need to be in the laundry as there isn't enough space for the sliding door to work from the hallway.

The other option is rehang the door so it swings in the complete oposite direction, but if it did that, the door would be in the way of the bathroom.

Blake T on
    Blake T wrote: »
    Yeah, I was talking about just hanging it on the outside of the wall, but I'm just worried about it looking like crap looking in the from the hallway because the sliding door would need to be in the laundry as there isn't enough space for the sliding door to work from the hallway.

The other option is rehang the door so it swings in the complete oposite direction, but if it did that, the door would be in the way of the bathroom.

French doors? C'est tres chic!

• SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm currently going through the process of selling our house built in 2013 and buying one built before 1900.

It's got rotten rafters, tiles missing from most of the roof spines, literal trees growing from gutters, needs brick partitions removing from upstairs, joists strengthening, double glazing installing, damp proof injection and a rotten wooden lintel replacing with stone on a giant bay window.

But it's beautiful. And will drive me crazy with the amount of work. But there's a grand entrance hall with a fireplace and I can pretend I live on a country estate.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    @Cambiata

I'm in the same boat tax wise. Even though technically we should have paid more this year due to a couple minor raises we got a bigger return, effectively lowering our rate.

Wealth accumulation in this country is kinda nonsense.

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    Pocket door?
    Spork - don't do it man. Been there. Do not count on any 90 degree angles and all things will cost 1.5-2x what a more modern house would.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I AM A HOMEOWNER

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    I really liked the first few seasons but I feel like it jumped the shark when the original team left and he did the whole "tryouts" stunt.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    I have a 20 foot gash in my basement ceiling where the pipe connecting my kitchen drains to the rest of the house needed to be replaced (the kitchen was built on an extension and is at the back of the house, both bathrooms/laundry/etc are all at the front)

upside, the new pipe has cleanouts in areas I can get at if it gets blocked, and is made of ABS rather than copper so it's probably not going to corrode/leak into my basement ceiling like the last one did

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    @Fearghaill I am quite vexed at you beating me to that joke with a much better offering.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

synPviM.png

schuss wrote: »
    Pocket door?
    Spork - don't do it man. Been there. Do not count on any 90 degree angles and all things will cost 1.5-2x what a more modern house would.

Toooo laaaatte, I'm heavily invested mentally at this point.

On the plus side, the survey I had done revealed a good amount of work that needed doing so we got a lot off the asking price, and some of the work paid for by the vendor, so we're in a good place to make some headway.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    pimento wrote: »
    What?

You can hang a sliding door outside of the hole in the wall, we had doors doing that at the old house either side of the living room if you can recall. The sound deadening's not as good as a traditional door as there's more gap around it (you'll not get it proper flush because movement) but it's better than nowt.

On the other hand, this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umfvm8I9_oU

Doorigami.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    Pocket door?

On the plus side, the survey I had done revealed a good amount of work that needed doing so we got a lot off the asking price, and some of the work paid for by the vendor, so we're in a good place to make some headway.

Oh, I could tell.
    Recommendations:
    Lead/Asbestos - make sure you have tested and remediated before you close. This should be non-negotiable.
    Don't try to do stuff like Crown Molding that requires things to be straight unless you want to spend lots of time frustrated and build craftsman skills. It becomes hard to make nice when nothing's square, including the ceiling (????? how??!?!?!)
    INSULATE. Seriously. Guaranteed your insulation sucks or has gaps.
    Wiring - get that sorted early, it's usually a mess in old houses and will drive you nuts or be dangerous.
    Structure - get a structural engineer in there to make sure you don't have any long-term weaknesses you need to address. Adding joists/columns early could save you tons of work and time down the road.
    Drainage - your basement is going to leak (guessing fieldstone foundation or similar?). Plan for this.

Pocket door?

Oh, I could tell.
    Recommendations:
    Lead/Asbestos - make sure you have tested and remediated before you close. This should be non-negotiable.
    Don't try to do stuff like Crown Molding that requires things to be straight unless you want to spend lots of time frustrated and build craftsman skills. It becomes hard to make nice when nothing's square, including the ceiling (????? how??!?!?!)
    Wiring - get that sorted early, it's usually a mess in old houses and will drive you nuts or be dangerous.
    Structure - get a structural engineer in there to make sure you don't have any long-term weaknesses you need to address. Adding joists/columns early could save you tons of work and time down the road.
    Drainage - your basement is going to leak (guessing fieldstone foundation or similar?). Plan for this.

Ha, I think construction differs slightly between the UK and USA for these timescales.

Either way, a structural engineer is coming as soon as I get keys, if only to confirm the results of the building survey I had done. From my second look around the first floor joists are definitely sagging from the weight of the brick partitions to the point where doorframes aren't square anymore. I also need to find out whether the loft joists were strengthened when the half-finished conversion was started.

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Guy on craigslist is selling solar attic fan vents from his closed solar store. Cost $500 each retail, I could get two for $150 each. Anyone know about solar vent fans and if they are worth it?

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Pocket door?

Oh, I could tell.
    Recommendations:

Ha, I think construction differs slightly between the UK and USA for these timescales.

Either way, a structural engineer is coming as soon as I get keys, if only to confirm the results of the building survey I had done. From my second look around the first floor joists are definitely sagging from the weight of the brick partitions to the point where doorframes aren't square anymore. I also need to find out whether the loft joists were strengthened when the half-finished conversion was started.

By getting keys you mean buying it? Or accessing it?

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Pocket door?

Pretty difficult to do in an interior (single) brick wall.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    You're pretty handy with power tools after redoing your kitchen Blake, what about if you made a big breadbox style vertical door for your laundry?

Pocket door?

Well, certainly with that attitude it is. I now vote for matching inset door so it's like a secret room. Alternatively a tapestry.

• Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    A comically large painting

a fireplace with a switch candelabra, which rotates the wall with the fireplace

bookshelf with book combination to unlock the secret door behind

Narnia Wardrobe

VRXwDW7.png
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    @Blake T you could do a barn sliding door.

s_800_600_w87up0.jpg

The're specifically designed to be mounted with no fittings except the rail. They're also super trendy right now!

#pipe on
    Pocket door?

Well, certainly with that attitude it is. I now vote for matching inset door so it's like a secret room. Alternatively a tapestry.

Okay, so, hear me out here: normally a bead curtain won't block sound at all, but what if Blake hung 150 or so of them, to make a thick blanket of bead curtains that require mechanical assistance to walk through?

• sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    I mean, with all those beads, you'll hardly need the dryer at all. Just wring your wet clothes through the thousands upon thousands of hanging beads!

640qocnq4ske.gif
    #pipe wrote: »

s_800_600_w87up0.jpg

The're specifically designed to be mounted with no fittings except the rail. They're also super trendy right now!

If the rail is a bit 'rustic' to fit in with the design aesthetic of your house (which I suspect would likely be the case) you can just box around it and paint to match the wall it's bolted to.

• stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    Narnia Wardrobe

That would be charming as fuck. I wish I owned my own place so I could do this.

Narnia Wardrobe

One of the renovations I've got planned is adding a walk-in wardrobe and en-suite to the master bedroom taking over one of the other bedrooms and part of a corridor. The temptation to put a facade of a wardrobe or a bookcase over the entrance is really strong.

s_800_600_w87up0.jpg

Other than the fittings that is essentially what I am playing with. My issue is that I can only mount a door like that in the inside of the laundry and I'd be concerned that it wouldn't look great from the hallway.

• stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    Narnia Wardrobe

One of the renovations I've got planned is adding a walk-in wardrobe and en-suite to the master bedroom taking over one of the other bedrooms and part of a corridor. The temptation to put a facade of a wardrobe or a bookcase over the entrance is really strong.

Just reminded me there is a company that only really makes secret doorways.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JyvEn3LK6w

s_800_600_w87up0.jpg

Other than the fittings that is essentially what I am playing with. My issue is that I can only mount a door like that in the inside of the laundry and I'd be concerned that it wouldn't look great from the hallway.

It would look fine I feel, with the possible benefit of not seeing the hardware from the rest of the house. You could always keep it a single flat plane of colour if you want to minimise the attention draw to it.

s_800_600_w87up0.jpg

Pfft just sell your house and buy a bigger place in the countryside. You can get a fairly new 5x2 on some acres in the middle of bumblefuck nowhere for less than your place must have cost. You and Viv will just have to drive an hour and a half each way to work every day!

BlakeT I need you to change your avatar to match Peen's for the remainder of this thread. I can't very well be expected to read thread titles or remember other avatars.

Quid wrote: »
    BlakeT I need you to change your avatar to match Peen's for the remainder of this thread. I can't very well be expected to read thread titles or remember other avatars.

No worries.

@peen can you please change your avatar to mine? It's for Quid.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I'm sorry there is no terrible joke in the thread title and no mention of horses, I can't be a part of this.

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    I have some vague house news.

When we last spoke, I was negotiating with some crazy old lady who valued her house about $150k above market. After talking to our architect, working out how much work was going to be involved fixing the place, and looking at our budget, we basically pulled out of that and she ended up selling for close to what we thought it was worth, but as far as we are concerned: bullet dodged. Too much effort for not enough return.

So basically we were back to looking at a big renovation to our current place because after 2 years of looking nothing close to what was suitable has come on the market but Jen and I were having trouble agreeing on a design spec for our architect.

Then last weekend, we walked into an open home where we both looked at each other and said "... is it just me, or is this what we've spent 2 years looking for?".

And then we did the same thing again at another house 20 minutes later.

So after years of going to dozens of open homes and seeing literally nothing that would suit our needs and budget, we found 2 places on the same afternoon.
    There's even another house come on this week we think it's worth going to look at again as well. So yeah, that was unexpected. Suddenly we're excited about the whole process again.

We've had a second look at both places and agreed that either one is probably more suitable for what we want then renovating where we are (that's never happened before). We've evaluated the potential of each of them and picked our preferred choice, and are pursuing putting an offer in on that one first; we got our builders report yesterday and it got the all clear.

So yeah, fingers crossed I might have a new place soon.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
    Ugh have to clean. Ugh.

Dear heating contractor - when I say "I want a quote on a boiler and indirect water heater" I don't mean "give me a quote on a combi boiler". I'm half-tempted to quit my job and go into HVAC/Hydronics as 90% of the people I've dealt with can't communicate or problem solve effectively.

Anyone have experience with Lazy Boy furniture? We're not interested in a recliner but we were browsing one of their stores today and a lot of their items seemed pretty nice and good quality for the price being charged.

• DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Anyone have experience with Lazy Boy furniture? We're not interested in a recliner but we were browsing one of their stores today and a lot of their items seemed pretty nice and good quality for the price being charged.

We have a couch from them that we bought three or four years ago (I think?) during a sale. It has held up pretty well, though the fabric was billed as durable and will not pill but it has pilled on the side that sees heavy use, so there's probably some small print that says virtually pill free. We haven't put it through a move but the padding has held up very well and I don't have any complaints about it.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.