As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New CPU: Update BIOS to unlock multipliers or is there a safer option?

ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success!Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
My PC is pretty old at this point, most of the components are from 2008 with a few upgrades along the way. I recently bought a Xeon X5460 to replace my Q8200. A modest upgrade, and I've been able to install it and have everything working as before.

However I can't get the most out of the new processor as the multiplier is locked to 6 (instead of the intended 9-9.5) and I can't change it in the BIOS. If there's any way around this without updating, I'm happy to try that. Googling has not been particularly helpful in this regard.

Updating the BIOS is something I'm very wary about trying unless absolutely necessary so I'd like to have the best information available if that's what's required.

System Information:
HZAih47.png

1QGYQHV.png

0pXF10G.png

I'd like to know which particular BIOS flashing software I should use, as I've been seeing a lot of conflicting information as to which is best/correct to use for my particular motherboard (MS-7502). I don't know whether to try via MSI, Award or Phoenix, as well as via Windows/Dos to execute the process.

The Ebay seller of the processor I got offered a custom BIOS file for my system and I have that file available in anybody here wants to take a look.

In addition, I've been having trouble making a bootable DOS environment using a USB key. I've used Rufus as well as trying a HP USB disk tool that has also been recommended. Trying to boot off the drive isn't quite working, as I'll end up with "Loading Freedos No KERNEL.SYS" on boot. Trouble is that using the same USB on my netbook works just fine and gives me the DOS prompt!

I'm really looking for advice here as to what's my best course of action as this is a little bit outside of my technical comfort zone!

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
Shimshai on

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    For what its worth I've flashed my bios several times with windows utilities (which are provided by the manufacturer) without issue.

Pretty much cant go wrong unless you have a sudden random power outage, and even many modern mobos may be able to survive that.

I'd be leery of a "custom" bios that some dude gave you though.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    As it turned out, my system crashed during the update process and now won't start (Bad Pool Header bluescreened). I'm not sure what the next step in recovery is, if it's even possible but I'll be away from the system for a few days anyway so it doesn't matter right away.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Shimshai wrote: »
    As it turned out, my system crashed during the update process and now won't start (Bad Pool Header bluescreened). I'm not sure what the next step in recovery is, if it's even possible but I'll be away from the system for a few days anyway so it doesn't matter right away.

What bios did you use? the custom one from some dude or did you download the appropriate one for your motherboard from a proper source?

Only information I can find on MS-7502 is that its an OEM board and the last bios update was released 6 years ago.

I dont know if this will work considering the age and OEM nature, but go here and scroll down to the BIOS Recovery segment

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Yea..... I would never ever install a custom bios some dude on the internet made.

Official bios with official tools provided by the company that makes the motherboard, absolutely. Been doing that for years, never had an issue.

If you've broken a BIOS and that one doesn't have a recovery BIOS (some high end boards do, but not all) you're probably out of luck.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    I went with the manufacturer's suggested bios version and flashing tools in the end, wasn't going to try an unknown bios.

It'll be a couple of days before I can take a look at the system again and see what options are available to me. Hopefully something can be done but time will tell.

steam_sig.png