As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [House] thread and the people who live in them.

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Yea I never got used to em. Every friday with a work crowd (a customer) it was RSL or similar for lunch and all sorts of cash was pissed into those things, with me watching on in some bemusement.

• Options
    ReginaldReginald When I am Pres., I will create the Department of ______Registered User regular
    Closed on our house! I am a new home owner!

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Solicitors continue to be amazing.

Yes, hanging onto questions for 5 days is a great idea. Let's prolong this sale as long as possible because I like paying a mortgage for a house I don't live in, and not having a completion date is fantastic for me booking movers and getting insurance sorted!

The questions that the buyers solicitors have raised are themselves entirely bonkers. They want to see the planning permission for every house and apartment on the neighbouring estate because of reasons. Never mind that that estate is being developed by another developer and started building at the same time as ours.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I will soon be walking away from my house!

It is literally impossible to sell!

yay foreclosure!

I have to move and the two banks that lend to my co-op will not lend for more than the state tax assessment .... which is $45,000 less than I owe on it.

oh well for me!

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I'm sorry dude that's really awful :(

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    It's ok though aside from the financial stuff because I'm moving in with my awesome girlfriend =)

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    If you can take the 7-10 year hit to your credit it's almost always better to walk away from a bad house that's underwater.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »
    If you can take the 7-10 year hit to your credit it's almost always better to walk away from a bad house that's underwater.

eeehhhhhh I'll scrape by I think

I have two semi working cars (long story) so hopefully, I won't have to make any major purchases in a good long while

• Options
    It's crazy, bad items on your report aren't as bad as a lot of people make you think they are. Like sure, yeah, my bankruptcy made my credit score tank compared to maybe what it would have been. But when I filed it was at 400, and now 4 years later I'm at ~750, and it's still on my credit score. I imagine foreclosures are far more common now than they were, so it won't impact as much as banks/others have you worried because their grandparents got foreclosed on and could never buy again in the 60s.

I think you'll be fine.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    So a while back we had a roof leak

We've only been in the house about 4 months, but the house is about 15 years old so I'm not surprised but I am bummed out that we didn't get to build our savings more before it happened, we don't currently have the cash to fix it. Patches should hold until we can save the money to replace the whole thing, but bleh.

Reason I'm posting is because I've gotten 3 quotes and they are WILDLY different. Highest is 10k, lowest is 6,500. The materials they are using are the same (same shingle type, same under-material stuff), they both have a warranty, and the company with the lowest bid still has a really solid score on home advisor and an A+ with the better business bureau

For some reason, my brain is telling me there is something wrong with the lower offer despite literally all evidence to the contrary, and I don't know why.

The lower bid would be doable by us by the end of this year, the higher would probably take us 2 years or even more to save... so why do I have this nagging feeling?

Chincymcchilla on
    I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    how big is your roof and how big is the leak?!

10k seems awfully high

• Options
    Xaquin wrote: »

10k seems awfully high

Sorry this is for a full roof replacement, the whole thing is basically shot.

And I'm not sure of the size of the roof, its a one floor 1700 sq ft home

• Options
    10k is a reasonable cost depending on sq ft for asphalt.

If you're planning on staying in this house for more than 10 years, see if you can get a HELOC on the home and invest in a metal roof (or maybe wood shingles). If you don't like the pitter patter of a metal roof, consider rock coated steel roofing (doesn't last quite as long but still triple the lifespan of asphalt).

• Options
    10k is a reasonable cost depending on sq ft for asphalt.

If you're planning on staying in this house for more than 10 years, see if you can get a HELOC on the home and invest in a metal roof (or maybe wood shingles). If you don't like the pitter patter of a metal roof, consider rock coated steel roofing (doesn't last quite as long but still triple the lifespan of asphalt).

We're planning on 10-15 and I really am not super interested in opening another line of credit right now, so I'm looking at this bid of 6500 since we could pay cash on it in a few months

• Options
    Xaquin wrote: »

10k seems awfully high

Sorry this is for a full roof replacement, the whole thing is basically shot.

And I'm not sure of the size of the roof, its a one floor 1700 sq ft home

oh ok, that makes more sense

yeah 10k doesn't seem toooooo high for that

• Options
    If they're replacing the roof deck, 10k sounds about right, especially if they're going up to 3/4" plywood (heavy winter area?).

• Options
    If they're replacing the roof deck, 10k sounds about right, especially if they're going up to 3/4" plywood (heavy winter area?).

I live in south carolina, we don't get snow.

Neither offer is replacing the roof deck, just shingles, underlayment, pipe collars, etc.

The only difference in material is Tiger paw on the higher one instead of the traditional Felt on the lower, everything else is the same.

If time wasn't an issue I'd consider going with that one, but I don't want this roof to completely fail on me before the hurricane season, and both offers include hurricane rated architectural shingles

I really don't see any reason in my situation to go with the higher bid, logically

Its just that its such a huge difference it makes me nervous even though they have great ratings everywhere I've looked

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Jesus fuck, would Colourbond roofing iron be much more expensive? All you need is a drill to drive the screws in and some tin snips and you can fit it yourself. And that shit will outlast the rest of the house.

• Options

Neither offer is replacing the roof deck, just shingles, underlayment, pipe collars, etc.

The only difference in material is Tiger paw on the higher one instead of the traditional Felt on the lower, everything else is the same.

If time wasn't an issue I'd consider going with that one, but I don't want this roof to completely fail on me before the hurricane season, and both offers include hurricane rated architectural shingles

I really don't see any reason in my situation to go with the higher bid, logically

Its just that its such a huge difference it makes me nervous even though they have great ratings everywhere I've looked

Hmm, no I wouldn't be nervous. The 10k is likely labor and price difference in those two material installations. Since you don't have snow asphalt shingles will last a long time, the difference between those two product qualities is probably 5 years at the most.

Maybe ask for some client referrals and go visit to see their work and check with the local building inspectors to see how well they rate?

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    The house we're (trying to) buy has a 117 year old roof that is just about holding up. Surveyors estimate was another 15 years or so for the clay tiles.

General rule of thumb over here is a new roof costs about 10% of the houses value - I'm not sure that translates to American buildings.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular

Hmm, no I wouldn't be nervous. The 10k is likely labor and price difference in those two material installations. Since you don't have snow asphalt shingles will last a long time, the difference between those two product qualities is probably 5 years at the most.

Maybe ask for some client referrals and go visit to see their work and check with the local building inspectors to see how well they rate?

Yep. Cheapest one in my area is actually because they have their shit together and have a big enough crew to do a whole roof in a day. This saves them on construction dumpster expenses and other factors. By far the best contractor I've dealt with and others had a great experience too. Roofing is mostly labor, so the more efficiency you can drive into it to eliminate things like dumpster rental expense and days on job, the more you can save.

• Options
    KiplingKipling Registered User regular
    A simple roof design 1700 sq ft house is something that can be done in a day.

My quotes were in the 8k to 9k range for something in a similar size.

3DS Friends: 1693-1781-7023
  • Options
    ThroThro pgroome@penny-arcade.com Registered User regular
    Kipling wrote: »
    A simple roof design 1700 sq ft house is something that can be done in a day.

My quotes were in the 8k to 9k range for something in a similar size.

Mine was a similar, smaller roof but involved replacing some of the wood. I was kinda bummed it only took a day, since I never got a chance to look at the condition of everything under the shingles and underlay.

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    templewulf wrote: »
    Does anybody have experience selling a place with an HOA, specifically in the US? I need to get the HOA docs for the buyer, but the association sent over instructions to "order" the required disclosure package for 225USD.

$225 for PDFs! Is that normal? Should I contact them to send the docs directly? Should I burn down their office?

Yes that is the normal rate for MN or higher. You also need to provide them to the buyer and they have the right of statutory recission. So they can call backsies on the contract in a
    10 day period. Make sure you document the time they were given in case this becomes an issue.

Edit: 10 day period. 20 was a typo.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    JebusUD wrote: »
    Does anybody have experience selling a place with an HOA, specifically in the US? I need to get the HOA docs for the buyer, but the association sent over instructions to "order" the required disclosure package for 225USD.

$225 for PDFs! Is that normal? Should I contact them to send the docs directly? Should I burn down their office?

Yes that is the normal rate for MN or higher. You also need to provide them to the buyer and they have the right of statutory recission. So they can call backsies on the contract in a 2
    10 day period. Make sure you document the time they were given in case this becomes an issue.

It doesn't meant that much compared to the list price, but it really feels like the HOA is holding my house hostage. I like condo and townhome type arrangements, but I've never met anyone who was actually happy with their HOA.

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

Yes that is the normal rate for MN or higher. You also need to provide them to the buyer and they have the right of statutory recission. So they can call backsies on the contract in a 2

It doesn't meant that much compared to the list price, but it really feels like the HOA is holding my house hostage. I like condo and townhome type arrangements, but I've never met anyone who was actually happy with their HOA.

I don't like HOAs, but I'm pretty OK with mine. Only $20/mo (no pool, of course), and the last time I requested something from them, they got it back to me with a 2 day turnaround.

Of course I haven't tried to sell the house yet, but I do remember that the previous sellers were able to get me the HOA documentation even before they were legally required to get it to me per the contract (when I was still within the first week and could backout easily if I wanted)

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Cambiata wrote: »

I don't like HOAs, but I'm pretty OK with mine. Only $20/mo (no pool, of course), and the last time I requested something from them, they got it back to me with a 2 day turnaround.

Of course I haven't tried to sell the house yet, but I do remember that the previous sellers were able to get me the HOA documentation even before they were legally required to get it to me per the contract (when I was still within the first week and could backout easily if I wanted)

That's super affordable! What does your HOA cover?

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Well, there is that one street light that sort of lights up a very small area. And some extra parking areas. I think that's about it.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Strikor wrote: »
    Well, there is that one street light that sort of lights up a very small area. And some extra parking areas. I think that's about it.

Yeah, there's a shared parking area (which is additional parking since every house has a 2-car garage) and that area has grass on it. So I guess the $20 covers mowing of the grass, plus upkeep of the post boxes (they're all clustered together at the end of the street instead) and the street light. That's it, but really I wanted no HOA and couldn't get that, so this is an OK alternative. They never bother me about keeping better care of my lawn, either, even though I tend to be bad at that, so they're alright by me.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options

Yeah, there's a shared parking area (which is additional parking since every house has a 2-car garage) and that area has grass on it. So I guess the $20 covers mowing of the grass, plus upkeep of the post boxes (they're all clustered together at the end of the street instead) and the street light. That's it, but really I wanted no HOA and couldn't get that, so this is an OK alternative. They never bother me about keeping better care of my lawn, either, even though I tend to be bad at that, so they're alright by me.

That sounds pretty good. Though doesn't the post office take care of mailbox clusters now that they don't put up individual boxes anymore?

• Options

I'd worry as people get older or older people move in, that's when HOAs get bad.

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    I have just leveled up my bathroom game thanks to a Toto Washlet.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    On my home improvement DIY journey:

Bought two of these because the sale was about to expire and couldn't find any the right size on craigslist or ebay: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Foremost-Ashburn-36-in-W-x-21-625-in-D-x-34-in-H-Vanity-Cabinet-Only-in-Mahogany-ASGA3621DR/202868782

HC36tCG.png

Almost got a matching wall cabinet on craigslist but despite the promises of yesterday the guy had sold it already when I got there. He was selling it from a discount store so I wonder if the ad was just to entice people to find his place (it wasn't easy to find).

I might be getting a matching mirror tomorrow from someone on craigslist.

This was the faucet I chose:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Pfister-Cassano-8-in-Widespread-2-Handle-High-Arc-Bathroom-Faucet-in-Polished-Chrome-F-049-CSCC/203353477?keyword=pfister+cassano

kah7TBd.png

But I waited too long and they're out of stock now. However I lucked out today and one of them came up for sale and I bought it. I might get the second one on Ebay depending how that auction goes, but if not I used the chat on home depot.com to ask when they'd get them back in stock and the guy said 3/5 - just in time to still get it for 55% off.

This is the granite top I want for my vanities, but I'm waiting because a) it's not on sale and b) I might find something similar on craigslist if I wait.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Pegasus-37-in-W-Granite-Vanity-Top-in-Beige-with-White-Basin-37682/100042025

35fYFeT.png

Really early on I actually found someone selling a new granite top w/ sink and the right spacing for my faucets on Craigslist, but it was a gray color which doesn't really match the warm colors of my bathroom. So I had to let that one go.

Oh also: my parents visited us for the first time on Friday. They brought their tile saw with them to give to me. Fuckin' a.

@Cambiata we have that exact same vanity top and we're looking for something to replace it with (along with a new cabinet). There's nothing wrong with it, just don't like the color (it came with the house). If you were in CA, I'd say just come over and take ours.

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Holding off on the VA home loan for now, since I might be having back surgery this year, but, we noticed a unit on the other side of the building was open. Our current place is a small studio, one room that opens to a second room that has the kitchen and closet sized toilet/shower stall.

Talked to the building manager, had to do a couple small cash advances, but now we're moving into a unit four stories up facing downtown Seattle, carpeted bedroom and hallway, giant claw foot raised platform bathtub, hardwood living room with wide Bay windows and separate kitchen with a pantry and lots of cabinet space. Plus a giant walk in closet. Will be $425 more a month than I'm paying now but totally worth it. Moving will just be carrying all of our stuff down the hall.

Oh also it's got a lot of exposed brick too.

Weaver on
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Missed out on the house.

Our offer was not competitive and was well off the pace, apparently. The agents were confused, because we had shown great interest, with a builders report, multiple site visits, and a valuation, so they thought we would be right in contention when the offers came in.

But apparently our professional valuation was where we went wrong. On two previous occasions he had called it within a few thousand, but this time he was much lower than the pack, so when we set ourselves to that we basically took ourselves out of the running.

It's very frustrating, and a bit disappointing, because it was a house that was already well finished and had excellent expansion potential, and easily the best we've seen yet. We kind of feel like we did everything right, more or less, but lost this opportunity through no fault of our own given the information known to us.

On the other hand, it's ended up going for something in the vicinity of $200k above rateable value, maybe $50k above our professional valuation, and we still live and own our current home outright, so our overall position only continues to improve.

There's another house closing next week we might put an offer on; we still have an architect who may be able to do something with our current house, if we can decide what it is we want. We'll take a day or two to reconsider our position and choose our way forward from here.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    We rent still, but, it's our first place together so I am happy with this little place

we finally got around to putting all the IKEA stuff we got last month together and rearranged our living room to have a proper couch+tv area set up. it's good, it feels nice to have some sort of open social space

I'm still a bit annoyed with the property manager of this place, but it turns out there's a couple of other people at the company who are really good at getting stuff done. I had a call the other week asking if there were any maintenance issues outstanding and I just gave them a big list of some plumbing problems and within three days a plumber called and sorted out a date to come fix them all. I might have to call the same guy back in a month or so and get some of the other little things that bug me looked at.

• Options
    spono wrote: »
    On my home improvement DIY journey:

Bought two of these because the sale was about to expire and couldn't find any the right size on craigslist or ebay: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Foremost-Ashburn-36-in-W-x-21-625-in-D-x-34-in-H-Vanity-Cabinet-Only-in-Mahogany-ASGA3621DR/202868782

HC36tCG.png

Almost got a matching wall cabinet on craigslist but despite the promises of yesterday the guy had sold it already when I got there. He was selling it from a discount store so I wonder if the ad was just to entice people to find his place (it wasn't easy to find).

I might be getting a matching mirror tomorrow from someone on craigslist.

This was the faucet I chose:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Pfister-Cassano-8-in-Widespread-2-Handle-High-Arc-Bathroom-Faucet-in-Polished-Chrome-F-049-CSCC/203353477?keyword=pfister+cassano

kah7TBd.png

But I waited too long and they're out of stock now. However I lucked out today and one of them came up for sale and I bought it. I might get the second one on Ebay depending how that auction goes, but if not I used the chat on home depot.com to ask when they'd get them back in stock and the guy said 3/5 - just in time to still get it for 55% off.

This is the granite top I want for my vanities, but I'm waiting because a) it's not on sale and b) I might find something similar on craigslist if I wait.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Pegasus-37-in-W-Granite-Vanity-Top-in-Beige-with-White-Basin-37682/100042025

35fYFeT.png

Really early on I actually found someone selling a new granite top w/ sink and the right spacing for my faucets on Craigslist, but it was a gray color which doesn't really match the warm colors of my bathroom. So I had to let that one go.

Oh also: my parents visited us for the first time on Friday. They brought their tile saw with them to give to me. Fuckin' a.

Cambiata we have that exact same vanity top and we're looking for something to replace it with (along with a new cabinet). There's nothing wrong with it, just don't like the color (it came with the house). If you were in CA, I'd say just come over and take ours.

Damn. If it were a closer state I'd even consider driving over for it, but CA is too far from TX.

• Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I'm 3 for 3 on agents being unable to actually let people in at rental inspections when I've shown up in the past 2 days of trying to find a place to live after work.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    going to meet with the owner of the apartment today, along with the rest of the roomates. not only that, but I'm bringing my mother, who's signed as my guarantor on the lease. I'm bringing in all the weapons at my disposal: the other roomate who is also displeased with the problematic lady, and my much more experienced parent who isn't afraid to be aggressive and make demands I might feel uncomfortable with. I'm gonna try and wriggle my way out this damn lease, either by bringing in another renter in my stead or, preferably, convincing the owner to just Let My People Go and allow me to peace out as soon as possible.

I can't wait to end this nightmare quickly; I'm just hoping this girl won't sabotage me somehow.

just gotta remember:

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    AwkoAwko About to poison the waterhole.Registered User regular
    We're putting in offer on a house, making us 3/3 in finding a place that we love on our first inspection.

We are either v good at house hunting or vv bad at house hunting.

This discussion has been closed.