As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PODCAST thread: it's like Taco Bell on your wedding day.

• CharmyCharmy Registered User regular
    Fun fact about me: I have a fair bit of social anxiety, and one of the effects is that sometimes I'll ramble endlessly about the last thing I watched or listened to in a desperate attempt to fill conversational space.

Today, on my way to meet someone for a date, I listened to part of Ep 10 of Let's Place, since several people in this thread recommended it.

This is the story of how I spent the first 30 minutes of my date in white-knuckle terror, desperately trying to keep myself from talking about Elsa Dentist.

I have a twitter.
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Oh boy this "how did Rita's space dumpster get from the moon to the earth" discussion.

*Feverishly starts writing an astrophysics email talking about orbital mechanics, relative velocity, and escape velocity.*

please

I want even more complicated math to explain dumb power rangers shit

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    FMY36yS.png?1

You can buy the first official Audio Entropy merchandise shirts here: http://games.jackbox.tv/artifact/TeeKOGame/Xykdn8UAoqkimt15F0SSQM6v09VeMUFJ/

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    probably worth mentioning that there is some very crudely drawn nudity in there

• ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    That's how I like my nudity

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    i love vinny signing off the beastcast by wishing everybody on earth a happy birthday

• Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    finally listening to @Speed Racer and @Chincymcchilla talk about tenchi muyo

and from what I can gather out of your conversation, it's basically mass effect?

wY6K6Jb.gif

and from what I can gather out of your conversation, it's basically mass effect?

yeah but all of the crew members look like standard anime ladies

• Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    sign me right the fuck up

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited February 2017

yeah but all of the crew members look like standard anime ladies

Ryoko is Wrex

Edit: I say, not having listened to the conversation

Edit2: Mihoshi is Garrus (technically a law person and dorky goofball)
    I could probably keep going, but I have a terrible memory for names.

But wait, there's more!
    Ayeka is Ashley, because I'm pretty sure she was "my race is the best race" at first.
    Washu would be Mordin, because space wizard-scientists.
    Ryo-oki was a cat-rabbit that was also a ship, but was also a cute cat-rabbit girl that wanted Tenchi Shepard's bone, so there's EDI.
    Sasami would be... Tali? It sort of breaks down here, but Tali was in a coming of age quest, sasami was ... Drawn very young... Okay yeah that's not the best fit.

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Drew Scanlon is officially a meme now.

• The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    New taz
    Taako/Magnus is super real the last few eps

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    New taz

I told myself I wasn't interested in taz ships

And then this happens

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    New taz

I told myself I wasn't interested in taz ships

And then this happens

I can't go down this road

I just can't
    platonically though their friendship brings me great joy, because I'm a sucker for selfish-asshole-behaves-selflessly and the last couple episodes have been all about Magnus making Taako do just that

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    Hey hi have a Yaretta

q3j5hysjgkn0.png7692oei54hzz.png

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I hope GBEast goes back to Noctropolis

that game is fucking amazing

I love how NOBODY SEEMS TO CARE when you're in the fucking superhero costume

Hey hi have a Yaretta

q3j5hysjgkn0.png7692oei54hzz.png

this is so GOOD though

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Fell asleep with one of those Did You Know Gaming videos on, which somehow morphed in dreamland into Adam Scott telling me about a trick to make Snake sound sarcastic in Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes

6F32U1X.png
  • Lost CanuckLost Canuck World's Greatest Escape Artist Doctor Vundabar's Murder MachineRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Fell asleep with one of those Did You Know Gaming videos on, which somehow morphed in dreamland into Adam Scott telling me about a trick to make Snake sound sarcastic in Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes

"Colonel, are we having fun yet?"

Lost Canuck on
    QYW8SHm.jpg
    Nintendo Switch friend code: SW-4012-4821-3053
  • kowikowi Registered User regular

Quality of a true gamer. Finding solutions in the dreams.

PSN: kowi - WiiU: kowi - XBL: KoWi - twitch.tv/kowi profile.png - "Yes, Kowi is the King of All" - smilie.png Unbreakable Vow
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular

hey Liquid,

how

about

some fuckin t-shirts???

uc3ufTB.png
  • AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular

hey Liquid,

how

about

some fuckin t-shirts???

I got one question for ya, Liquid

You poppin' my stones???

• PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular

Did you ever notice how every movie villain is just really ugly beyond belief?

Emperor Palpatine? WRINKLED UP UGGO.

Jafar? POINTY FACE.

Scar? LITERALLY NAMED AFTER HIS FACIAL DEFORMITY.

It's fucking dark when you think about how many movies this applies to; how the villain is usually someone trying to live a normal or equal life, but their ugliness just gets in the way. 'The Incredibles' is a perfect example. The villain is an ugly-little redhead kid who just wants for everybody to be a superhero, but the Incredibles are like NNNNNNOPE and throw him into a jet engine because only they should get to be superheroes.

Yeah, of course Syndrome kills like 30 other superheroes and sets a giant death robot loose on a major metropolis, but just go with us for this thought experiment. His heart was in the right place. On this week's podcast Jack O'Brien welcomes Cracked's own Katie Goldin and Michael Swaim to unpack this trope and how you can see ugly bad guys ostensibly trying to do the right thing in franchises from Disney to The Lord of the Rings.

Man I hope them hiring Katie means she's on the podcast a lot more in the future because she's great and the Bird Rights Activist twitter is one of the best twitters.

Mwx884o.jpg
    AtomicTofu wrote: »

hey Liquid,

how

about

some fuckin t-shirts???

I got one question for ya, Liquid

You poppin' my stones???

IF YOU START ME UP

• Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Man, I just had the best idea for a musician/song based pun involving the power rangers, but upon looking up the specifics, I found the artist I had in mind was not the one who made the song. Now I'm bummed out.
    in case you're curious, it was going to be Zordon Lightfoot sings Rita, until I found that Layla was sung by Eric Clapton.

Dammit dammit dammit.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Australia thread, explain this to me.

http://www.thedoughnutbar.com.au/

I thought America had the market cornered on combining multiple types of unhealthy food into one incredibly unhealthy superfood.

uyvfOQy.png
  • VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Australia thread, explain this to me.

http://www.thedoughnutbar.com.au/

I thought America had the market cornered on combining multiple types of unhealthy food into one incredibly unhealthy superfood.

All I know is that it's nowhere near me, which is rubbish.

• GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    FMY36yS.png?1

You can buy the first official Audio Entropy merchandise shirts here: http://games.jackbox.tv/artifact/TeeKOGame/Xykdn8UAoqkimt15F0SSQM6v09VeMUFJ/

Damnit, I may have to try and track down the "Fork up my ass" shirt at some point. I drew it but I can't recall who captioned it but I was so proud when folks got a good laugh out of it.

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
    me 'n ashley started our metal gear series!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZW4pUtEixwY

• SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Oh boy this "how did Rita's space dumpster get from the moon to the earth" discussion.

*Feverishly starts writing an astrophysics email talking about orbital mechanics, relative velocity, and escape velocity.*

It was me, right

I was right, right

sig.gif
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    portable ops is fuckin', crucial context to bridge mgs3 and mgs4

PNk1Ml4.png
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    My only exposure to Portable Ops is the hiimdaisy comic

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    okay so metal gear is a bipedal, nuclear-equipped walking tank

in the original games there was this agent named "solid snake" who fought the metal gears

they made several metal gear games, and then the first 3d one was called metal gear solid, which at the time just seemed like a subtitle that both referenced the name of the protagonist and alluded to the "solid" 3d graphics, as opposed to flat 2d sprites

metal gear solid was hugely popular so then the sequel was called metal gear solid 2, which kind of made sense because it was very intentionally riffing on the specific events of metal gear solid, so it was like a sequel to that specific game rather than just metal gear 4

but then the next game was metal gear solid 3, which was set before the original metal gear, and at this point it was clear that "metal gear solid" was just the name of the series, even though it seemed like it was just another entry into metal gear

but, you can also look at "solid" as referring to the subseries of 3d stealth action games, as opposed to 2d "metal gear', including "metal gear: ghost babel", which released after "metal gear solid", and "metal gear acid", which is a card game, and "metal gear rising", which is a character action game

but, "metal gear survive" is a stealth action game, but is not branded "metal gear solid", because it focuses more on cooperative survival-based stealth action as opposed to single player tactical espionage action

PNk1Ml4.png
    edited February 2017
    -Tal wrote: »
    portable ops is fuckin', crucial context to bridge mgs3 and mgs4

At BEST two short cutscenes from portable ops are valuable but not necessary

Also as soon as I said that during our recording session I knew I was gonna catch it from you

Speed Racer on

in the original games there was this agent named "solid snake" who fought the metal gears

they made several metal gear games, and then the first 3d one was called metal gear solid, which at the time just seemed like a subtitle that both referenced the name of the protagonist and alluded to the "solid" 3d graphics, as opposed to flat 2d sprites

metal gear solid was hugely popular so then the sequel was called metal gear solid 2, which kind of made sense because it was very intentionally riffing on the specific events of metal gear solid, so it was like a sequel to that specific game rather than just metal gear 4

but then the next game was metal gear solid 3, which was set before the original metal gear, and at this point it was clear that "metal gear solid" was just the name of the series, even though it seemed like it was just another entry into metal gear

but, you can also look at "solid" as referring to the subseries of 3d stealth action games, as opposed to 2d "metal gear', including "metal gear: ghost babel", which released after "metal gear solid", and "metal gear acid", which is a card game, and "metal gear rising", which is a character action game

but, "metal gear survive" is a stealth action game, but is not branded "metal gear solid", because it focuses more on cooperative survival-based stealth action as opposed to single player tactical espionage action

And on another level, the Solid games all have a common thematic throughline about exploring identity and what makes a person who they are

Which is not a question the non-Solid metal gears really examine

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular

And on another level, the Solid games all have a common thematic throughline about exploring identity and what makes a person who they are

I don't know

I think Metal Gear Rising touches on that in a fairly significant way

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    Olivaw wrote: »

I don't know

I think Metal Gear Rising touches on that in a fairly significant way

You could probably argue some way of interpreting it that way

But like, mgs 1-V all have a structure where they each say, "THIS is the thing that makes people who they are," and then present a story that tests that hypothesis

Rising doesn't really do that. It's more character-driven than idea-driven

• TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    luke could just like

have ashley watch the portable ops cutscenes on youtube

This discussion has been closed.