As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MTG]-Cataclysmic Gearhulk is Awful and I Hate It And You Should Too

• The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    second place with spells at game day

did you use the same list we made

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    second place with spells at game day

did you use the same list we made

it's running TITI instead of Baral (i think baral is terribly positioned against my store meta), two Harnessed Lightning MD, one more collective defiance and a one-of bedlam reveler

liEt3nH.png
    did the reveler do anything...

it was good every time i played it!

once it let me madness 3 bolts!

liEt3nH.png
    it will probably be a Chandra, Torch that i traded a torrential gearhulk for today tho (i got the gearhulk when they were like 10 bux too)

liEt3nH.png
    it will probably be a Chandra, Torch that i traded a torrential gearhulk for today tho (i got the gearhulk when they were like 10 bux too)

Yeah that seems good. I'll probably run the same tomorrow.

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Yo can I complain about magic players real quick? Because I gotta say that I am very sick of players wanting hate that would make certain cards completely unplayable and get mad at wizards for not producing these incredibly unfun cards. A bunch of people were complaining before the emrakul ban "why didn't wizards just print rest in peace! That would have solved everything!". No, it would have made any deck that remotely used delirium unplayable. They didn't print rest in peace because they wanted their flagship mechanic to see play and would anybody have been happy if Emrukul and the crazy crew had been unplayable?

This came up when a control player lost to vehicles yesterday at a pptq. He started complaining about how difficult it was to deal with all the threats in the format, vehicles especially. This was fair but his solution was that the 5-mana wrath for the set should have been "destroy all creatures and vehicles" which would just make vehicles normal creatures with a downside. Why would anybody want that? Do you want the mechanics to just not matter so that you can play the same deck forever?

For the record I am not saying that the reactive answers in standard are good enough or that we shouldn't criticize wizards for not providing strong enough release valves for their powerful mechanics but every time I hear a player offer a solution its the most unfun "look just make them garbage" answers.

Quire.jpg
    when they do a wild west block they should bring back Bushido but rename it Grit

liEt3nH.png
  • stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Man, what.
    I thought they were persisting the 6-2-2-2 single elim draft in MTGO.
    Bleck. Not super keen on league only for that.

stimtokolos on
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    when they do a wild west block they should bring back Bushido but rename it Grit

Legendary Creature - Chicken

True Grit
    If you would get a poison counter, instead lose one life.

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Yo can I complain about magic players real quick? Because I gotta say that I am very sick of players wanting hate that would make certain cards completely unplayable and get mad at wizards for not producing these incredibly unfun cards. A bunch of people were complaining before the emrakul ban "why didn't wizards just print rest in peace! That would have solved everything!". No, it would have made any deck that remotely used delirium unplayable. They didn't print rest in peace because they wanted their flagship mechanic to see play and would anybody have been happy if Emrukul and the crazy crew had been unplayable?

There's a happy medium to be had. In all of standard right now (and when Emrakul was legal), there is essentially zero graveyard hate outside of absolute trash like Grave Birthing and similar limited chaff point-removal effects. Literally the only way you can actively get more than one card out of an opponent's graveyard at one time is to use Lost Legacy, and by that point the damage is probably already done. Before Dragons/Origins rotated out, some people were resorting to nonsense like Hedonist's Trove in a vain attempt to keep the ubiquitous graveyard-based decks in check. Even WotC has admitted that this is insufficient (hence the Emmy ban).

Obviously "nuke from orbit" effects like Rest in Peace are far from the best answer, but something like Gaea's Blessing or Crypt Incursion would have been nice options to have.

Looking back, there was some fair graveyard hate in Khans (Anafenza, Burn Away, Cranial Archive). I'm sure it wasn't an accident that Shadows kicked them out with the mid-season rotation but that was the last time we even saw any.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    Tbf anafenza and burn away both left with bfz. They haven't even TRIED to make graveyard removal since cranial archive and even that wasn't GOOD

Tbf anafenza and burn away both left with bfz. They haven't even TRIED to make graveyard removal since cranial archive and even that wasn't GOOD

Those three cards are all in Khans, which was the first (only) block to rotate early, with the release of Shadows.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    ... God, you're right. Dun got it mixed up with the VERY good rotation system we had in place for about six months.

• NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    "Oneshot hard counters" are a much better plan overall imo - stuff like Burn Away, or Tormod's Crypt. It does a thing, and then it goes away; your opponent can still re-establish threat. I think a 4 mana wrath would also be fine in vehicle land; leave the vehicles, blow up the creatures - that was the whole idea of vehicles in the first place wasn't it? Cheap, powerful threats that require enablers?

And while we're at it, how about a Suppression Field? Might be too harsh at {2} but {1} might be just enough to slow things down...

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Learn from the Past was in Dragons

I haven't played much standard, but WRT vehicles, what about Authority of the Consuls? It slows down the sort of pseudo-haste that crewing creatures get. Also a significant roadblock to Copycats that can come down before counterspells are up.

KalTorak on
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I feel like relic is a fair gy hate card, maybe a little too good for standard, but either half of if it could be a fine standard gy hate card. Either the one card per turn or the one shot exile it all part

Also cheon and bdm and some of the coverage team came down to our staff party last night to draft. They were super cool and It was hilariously not safe for coverage and I guess sometimes I forget that people are real people outside of high profile work that requires them to act in certain ways.

My first working GP was a super fun time. I hope I get staffed for more in the future

initiatefailure on
    KalTorak wrote: »

I haven't played much standard, but WRT vehicles, what about Authority of the Consuls? It slows down the sort of pseudo-haste that crewing creatures get. Also a significant roadblock to Copycats that can come down before counterspells are up.

It helps but I think every white sideboard is running fragmentize anyway already.

I feel like relic is a fair gy hate card, maybe a little too good for standard, but either half of if it could be a fine standard gy hate card. Either the one card per turn or the one shot exile it all part

Also cheon and bdm and some of the coverage team came down to our staff party last night to draft. They were super cool and It was hilariously not safe for coverage and I guess sometimes I forget that people are real people outside of high profile work that requires them to act in certain ways.

My first working GP was a super fun time. I hope I get staffed for more in the future

Don't forget to write reviews and/or exemplar nominations!

Thanks, I knew there had to be another but Gatherer likes throwing errors at me whenever I refine a search so sometimes I give up.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »

Thanks, I knew there had to be another but Gatherer likes throwing errors at me whenever I refine a search so sometimes I give up.

i've been using Scryfall.com for gatherer searches recently (magiccards.info has been pretty slow to update, and it still thinks Khans is in Standard) - it's pretty slick.

I played against a kid on Sunday and had 3 fevered visions down with 5 mana up, went to my end step, drew 3 cards, and then discarded 3 fiery temper at his dome during cleanup

It wasn't nice

http://wpn.wizards.com/en/article/whats-new-amonkhet

stores will have a casual tournament prior to the amonkhet prerelease, with promo full-art lands from amonkhet. also standard showdown will be coming back

boy, if those are gonna be the way we get full-art lands from now on, i'm going to be fuckin' pissed!

liEt3nH.png
    edited February 2017
    I played against a kid on Sunday and had 3 fevered visions down with 5 mana up, went to my end step, drew 3 cards, and then discarded 3 fiery temper at his dome during cleanup

It wasn't nice

What list are you running and/or what sort of meta were you up against that playing Fevered Visions wasn't just like giving your opponent a wrapped gift? Seems like every list right now is either really good at powering through its hand, doesn't care about binning things/all of its threats are equally good, or wants to dig for specific cards anyway...

Nullzone on
    As far as the Big Three are concerned, Visions is good to respectable against GB and Saheeli. Mardu Vehicles is much rougher and you probably board it out against most lists. And since we're talking FNM level play we're talking a bunch of tier 2 decks too, and hoo boy

Visions fucking dumps on basically every t2 list.

liEt3nH.png
    How is visions good against saheeli? All the decks I've seen are composed of the combo and ways to draw into it - you're just making their job easier. Are you just also maindecking 4 shock?

Yup!

liEt3nH.png
    Nullzone wrote: »

It wasn't nice

What list are you running and/or what sort of meta were you up against that playing Fevered Visions wasn't just like giving your opponent a wrapped gift? Seems like every list right now is either really good at powering through its hand, doesn't care about binning things/all of its threats are equally good, or wants to dig for specific cards anyway...

Shock, temper, flow, negate, lightning axe, collective defiance, thermo alchemist

A Saheeli doesn't live long.

Also inagtp you were right about reveler, I admit it

• Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    http://wpn.wizards.com/en/article/whats-new-amonkhet

stores will have a casual tournament prior to the amonkhet prerelease, with promo full-art lands from amonkhet. also standard showdown will be coming back

boy, if those are gonna be the way we get full-art lands from now on, i'm going to be fuckin' pissed!

Psh, foil basic lands as prizes? Aha, ahahaha... I NEED TO MAKE A STANDARD DECK, RIGHT NOW.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Nullzone wrote: »

Don't forget to write reviews and/or exemplar nominations!

Haha yep. I worked with some great people I want to write reviews of once we get home.

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    I wish liliana wasn't like $35

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • KlendyKlendy Goomy GoomyGoomyRegistered User regular
    she's like a smooth hundo, goat.

;-)

goomyisall400.jpg

Addendum to Sunday GP PTQ announcement from last week, based on feedback.

If the GP is Constructed, the PTQ will be Limited. If the GP is Limited, the PTQ will be Standard. This will allow players to participate in both the GP and (if necessary) the PTQ without needing to bring two competitive decks while also keeping the PTQ format lined up with what will actually be played at the PT (i.e., Standard instead of Modern or Legacy).

Additionally, PTQ can be run either as one giant event or a series of eight smaller flights (one entry per PTQ per player) with the winners becoming the Top 8, at TO's discretion.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Is sword of fire and ice or feast and Famine good in Kaalia? Been looking for some equipment to put in and I was looking at those.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
    Swords are good in everything, really

liEt3nH.png
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Swords are good in everything, really

In that case I have fire and ice in the deck along with Conqueror's Flail, Lightning Greaves, and Swiftfoot Boots. Should I drop Conqueror's Flail for feast and Famine?

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    IMHO the best Swords in Commander are Light and Shadow and Fire and Ice, in that order. Feast and Famine is good only if you can abuse the untapping, but the amount of hate you'll draw for playing it hardly seems valuable. War and Peace and Body and Mind seem night unplayable to me, short of being included in only the most Voltron-esque decks.

Body and Mind will probably get you killed by most decks. At least half of mine would love to get milled for 10 each turn.

This discussion has been closed.