As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

For Sale: 2017 [Car thread] - No Rust! New Clutch! Blown Turbo!

• IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Well I am approved for a loan and have the weird insurance stuff figured out. Now to figure out if I really want to embark on the most ambitious automobile ownership journey I've ever taken.

• L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Well I am approved for a loan and have the weird insurance stuff figured out. Now to figure out if I really want to embark on the most ambitious automobile ownership journey I've ever taken.

I forget, what are you going to get again?

I haven't said, but it's a kei. Deffo posts to come if this ends up actually happening.

• Bear is DrivingBear is Driving Registered User regular
    One of us!

Oh man, I had thought you said like in the last thread!

It'll be awesome!!

• Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Spent a good chunk of the evening stripping down the Cub and I'm starting to become convinced that the only good things on this bike as I bought it were the frame, gas tank, seat pan, and front fork

At least swapping everything else out is proving to be reasonably cheap! Plus I might be able to bend the rear swingarm back into shape

• McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Damnit, my car is being weird again. Leaning out and stuttering from time to time at cruise, doesn't seem to do it while accelerating or anything.

It was doing it last year, took it into a workshop who checked a few things and decided my ECU was slowly going insane (their words) so replaced it with a second hand one and it's been good up until a day ago.

I took off the AFM and gave it a good wipe out (was a bit of oil collecting in there) and it still did it a bit at the start of my drive but then drove fine / slightly rich if anything after the first 10 minutes.

I'll give it (or pay someone else to) a decent service but if that doesn't sort it I'm not sure what the plan will be. Can't afford to keep dumping money into it so it'll be a case of a) picking up something cheap to run to work and back or b) get a loan to get something that will last.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I haven't said, but it's a kei. Deffo posts to come if this ends up actually happening.

Oooh, a Wagon R+? Or an Alto Works RS/R?

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular

Cappuccino??

• pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Doc doc doc doc Honda Beat?

• a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    A 2-stroke Jimny?

Number One Tricky
    Secretly hoping it's an Autozam AZ1 because they are awesome and who doesn't want to insanely jealous of an Internet person?

pimento wrote: »
    Secretly hoping it's an Autozam AZ1 because they are awesome and who doesn't want to insanely jealous of an Internet person?

Still got a few months before the first ones can come to the US, yeah? Besides, I wouldn't be surprised if the first batch of AZ-1s in the US are in the $15k range.

Number One Tricky
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »

Cappuccino??

Somebody imported one of those into Australia in the 2000s and did an engine swap on it. It was a Beams version of the 20v 1.6 litre four Toyota motor. I bet that would be a quick little bastard of a car.

Same thing if you could somehow shoehorn a Civic type R motor into a Beat. A 200 horsepower per tonne power to weight ratio is not to be sneezed at!

• Bear is DrivingBear is Driving Registered User regular

I got really excited for a moment but then I realized I probably can't fit in it. I need to shave down my legs a bit. Like, reverse Gattaca them. Then I can fit in all the cars!

Winner!

I'd love an AZ-1 but I think it's time to put that dream to rest.

• GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    Just picked up a 2011 Hyundai Sonata HEV yesterday. They had just knocked $4000 off the price last week and they offered me $2500 on trade for my civic. For the savings on my monthly payments, insurance and the shit ton I am hoping to save on gas I couldn't pass on it. That and for once my wife was the one who spotted the car and liked it. She even dismissed the fact it was silver (the colour of our last 3 cars).

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook

Winner!

Awesome!

• McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    With my car running badly, I remembered to check for error codes yesterday. It had a couple (oxygen sensor / heater circuit being the worrying one) so I went to clear them so next time I check I know they won't be old ones.

Usually just either disconnect the batteries for a while, or pull the EFI fuse for a couple of minutes, so went to pull the fuse and....uh....
    MuYfU9Hb.jpg
    M3vZTjEb.jpg

...that doesn't look ideal.

Replaced the fuse (after having to chip a bit of plastic out of the destroyed fuse holder) and this morning it ran great! A bit rich if anything, but that's not unusual after the computer has been reset from memory.

I have no idea if the destroyed fuse was a symptom of a great problem, or whether it might have happened when the previous ECU was dying and was only now causing issues or what, but I guess time will tell.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • intropintrop Registered User regular
    :O

Steam ID: highentropy
    Oh, hmm.. that shouldn't be..

My dealership has been super cool up until today. They offer a "VIP program" for people that buy brand new Hyundais that gives you some nice benefits, most notably free oil changes. I took my car in for a change this morning and they told me that there was a "major service" due that included flushing my radiator and a bunch of other stuff, that would ring up to about $340. I declined because that isn't in the user manual (and I've already changed the air filters and rotated the tires, two included services), and they said that since I wasn't getting a "scheduled maintenance" I have to pay for my oil change.

I need the change so I left the car there, but I think I'm going to raise a stink when I go in to pay. If it's not in the manual as a necessary service, then they're just trying to take my money.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    McFodder wrote: »
    With my car running badly, I remembered to check for error codes yesterday. It had a couple (oxygen sensor / heater circuit being the worrying one) so I went to clear them so next time I check I know they won't be old ones.

Usually just either disconnect the batteries for a while, or pull the EFI fuse for a couple of minutes, so went to pull the fuse and....uh....
    MuYfU9Hb.jpg
    M3vZTjEb.jpg

...that doesn't look ideal.

Replaced the fuse (after having to chip a bit of plastic out of the destroyed fuse holder) and this morning it ran great! A bit rich if anything, but that's not unusual after the computer has been reset from memory.

I have no idea if the destroyed fuse was a symptom of a great problem, or whether it might have happened when the previous ECU was dying and was only now causing issues or what, but I guess time will tell.

I've had a fuse fail catastrophically before, and after I replaced it never had a problem again, and I drove that car for years afterwards. If it fails again soon then there is certainly a problem. Sometimes you just get a shitty fuse.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    Decided not to go forward on the Beat. For now.

Ah well.
    Next time!

• DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    Speaking of the Autozam AZ-1, I came across this little gallery a few days ago.

Now if you're anything like me, and scroll through things rather fast, you'll be just as surprised as I was to find out the car it's parked next to isn't a minivan. It's a Honda Fit.

Wow, these things are small.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
    I want an Autozam AZ-1 now. I cannot fit, but I really want one.

Yes, kei cars are tiny, that's the whole point. That dude should replace his Fit with a Beat.

But I want a tiny commuter car that gets good gas mileage and doesn't go fast.
    All we have here are Smart Kars and Geo Metros. Ugh.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    My Kia Rio gets good milage.

I mean some kinda hybrid or something would probably get better.

Tallahasseeriel on
    Uriel wrote: »
    My Kia Rio gets good milage.

I mean some kinda hybrid or something would probably get better.

Meh, in typical real world usage it's very difficult to beat the mileage of a small light car with a modern 4 cylinder engine. Hybrids have so much extra weight they're carrying around constantly, it kind of defeats the purpose.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    So I read an article about the Volkswagen CLA settlement and it mentioned, specifically, $7,100 as the floor for owners, yet Volkswagen has told me I qualify for just over $4,500. Anyone have any particular experience with this, and to whether or not I should make a fuss about the difference? I got the car pre-owned, so I assume that's what makes up the difference, but I sure as shit can't talk to a human being at Volkswagen to find out for sure.

Or maybe this is the wrong place to ask, in which case, I apologize.

edited February 2017
    But I want a tiny commuter car that gets good gas mileage and doesn't go fast.
    All we have here are Smart Kars and Geo Metros. Ugh.

Fiat 500! The real-world mileage is very good.

jgeis on
  • SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    Still waiting to hear back from the MOT garage about my leaky fuel tank. Hopefully I'll have the car back by the end of the week.

I'm hoping the overall cost for the MOT and repairs won't be over £500. That's more than I paid for the car itself, after all. Still, with my bursary I should squeak by, and in case things look bad I have someone willing to lend financial aid to keep me on the road.

I'm glad I don't have to scrap the old thing. It's a real nice car.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I was waiting to see what he was going to do with the toaster.. it looks like mine!

• PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I absolutely love how this bike looks.

ARIEL-ACE-Group.jpg

It's also like 20k GBP and higher.

Psykoma on
    edited February 2017
    Yes, kei cars are tiny, that's the whole point. That dude should replace his Fit with a Beat.

Modern kei cars are the bomb.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ha_vAYqU8-U
    The Daihatsu Wake. Skip to about 11:00 to see how many Asian female fists worth of leg room and head room you get in the back seat.

a nu start on
    Number One Tricky
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I was waiting to see what he was going to do with the toaster.. it looks like mine!

I think it's a reference to his last video of him playing doom with a toaster (they're not real)

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    I tried DOOM on my toaster but I got tired of the toast coming out all blackened and damned.

This discussion has been closed.