As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFRK] Orbfest and Fest banner 2 live! Purple Monkey Dishwasher.

• GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Rius wrote: »
    I don't understand the hype for native Vessel of Fate, honestly. If you run him with Mako Might, he doesn't get a damage boosting RM. You could put him in the Support or WHM slots, but then his commands are partially or totally wasted.

The best use I can think of for Vessel of Fate is as an RW that is called by a BLM or SMN for whom you have an OSB and can't hit a weakness to charge, in a party that otherwise does not have haste and in which you have a physical damage dealer. That's a whole lot of conditionals, though I have used VoF in exactly these circumstances at least once. I just wouldn't want the burden of having VoF native and having to spend shitloads of 4* motes just to give him skills on par with other Hastega or 610 characters.

He doesn't eat up as many motes as you would think at first since his stuff is heavily discounted. Eyeball estimates for me would say maybe as many to max as any other normal character, but you can split it and only do physical or magic area if you want to.

Damage wise I guess I don't see the problem. In heavy fights I am tending to lean on SB generating RMs anyways just because keeping burst mode continously is very valuable. Especially since I have been using Y'shtola so that is a bit of a confounding variable, but even before I typically needed to take enough hits which wasn't guaranteed for every character in every fight. The damage from his instacast spell keeps up pretty well on my teams however you slice it though. He hits the weakest certainly, but he hits close to twice as often as well.

Truthfully, I have found native VoF more useful than native Shout or native Wall. Having one of those two is certainly much better, but I would pick VoF plus either Shout or Wall over having both Shout and Wall. Part of that is the nature of BSBs of course, but the other is just how nice it is to have him be able to slip into a team, competently fill a role, and offer a great stacking buff that gives the occasionally useful extra source of haste to combat slows.

• mercurialchemistermercurialchemister Registered User regular
    I don't understand the hype for native Vessel of Fate, honestly. If you run him with Mako Might, he doesn't get a damage boosting RM. You could put him in the Support or WHM slots, but then his commands are partially or totally wasted.

The best use I can think of for Vessel of Fate is as an RW that is called by a BLM or SMN for whom you have an OSB and can't hit a weakness to charge, in a party that otherwise does not have haste and in which you have a physical damage dealer. That's a whole lot of conditionals, though I have used VoF in exactly these circumstances at least once. I just wouldn't want the burden of having VoF native and having to spend shitloads of 4* motes just to give him skills on par with other Hastega or 610 characters.

Isn't the answer to this always "flexibility"?

Having native VoF frees up your RW to any number of options (instant medica, physical/magic blink, crit up, imperil, OSB, the list goes on) whereas if you have to RW VoF you are constrained by the relics that you actually own. It was the same way with wall; sure, if you had native Hastega you could always RW the wall but having both native opens up so many more lines of play.

And as others have stated, I think you're seriously understating OK's magical abilities at level 99. Mine easily hits U/U+/U++ bosses for 20k with each use of Swiftspell and RS gear.

• AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    I might roll for that Rikku USB on my japanese account. I pretty much exclusively use that account to try and determine ahead of time how I feel about various relics, so it would be interesting to see if I like using Rikku more than Onion Knight.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    So here is an honest question -- People seem to be disappointed by Yshtola's USB. Maybe it isn't that great. But honestly, does Yshtola really need yet another amazing relic to compete for meter usage? I've got the complete Yshtola set right now, Medica, Stoneskin, Asylum, Aeatherial. I have all of them. And even with Wrath in between heals as I can, I barely have time to use more than maybe 3 bars of meter in a given encounter.

Having a 5th relic would just add even more competition for her precious meter. And I guess that's why I don't understand the disappointment. She's got such a great kit right now that there's really just no room for another.

• darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Just started playing this today.. I can see how it could be addicting..

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • FryFry Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    VIII banner review

Banner 1:
    Seifer BSB: Grants Sentinel (DEF boost, draw single target physical and black attacks), which is occasionally very useful. The primary attacking command grants Seifer a damage reflection effect that grows stronger with additional uses, up to a 300% return after 9 uses, though it has a drawback of cutting Seifer's DEF and RES, mostly negating the boost from the Sentinel effect. The other command is a drain strike, nice if your healer is having trouble keeping up. I think this is probably pretty good, though if you already have access to a good Sentinel (e.g. Beatrix/Agrias BSB) this doesn't add much extra to your options.
    Fujin BSB: Wind MAG thrower. Dualbreaks MAG and RES, with an additional RES break on one of the commands. A solid addition to mage teams, particularly against magic enemies (which is most of them).
    Raijin BSB: Lightning hammer. It's a comparable power level to Orlandu OSB. The plan here is to backload a ton of damage to end a fight all at once: the first command applies a 40% heal to one of your characters and adds a charge, while the second command consumes all of the charges to deal a bunch of damage. Ideally you want to charge it all the way to full and unload them all at once, which is six casts of the heal, which will have to be spread across two casts of the burst. Pretty strong, though you're committing to a specific fight plan, and it takes a large number of turns to execute (typically 12+).
    Seifer SSB2: Dark bracer. SSB damage with party ATK/MAG buff, but penalizes Seifer with -50% DEF. The fact that this is a dark boost bracer is probably the best thing about it, there are much better ways to get the ATK/MAG buff.
    Fujin SSB: Wind MAG light armor. En-wind. Works well with the new 5* wind scroll in this event, Meltdown, or just Wrath up a bunch of bars and chain it to itself or her burst. A decent magic damage option.
    Raijin SSB: Lightning ATK light armor. Party high regen, last stand, and instant cast 1 may not sound that exciting on paper, but I've seen some videos of people using this to great effect in very difficult fights (Nemesis X, various Full Throttle fights). Not for everyday use, but in the right fight, multiple casts of this (that instantly chain to themselves) let your party dump out all of their SBs very quickly while being nearly unkillable due to the Last Stand that you keep refreshing.
    Seifer SSB: Meh. Party 50% DEF is not that exciting.
    Fujin SB: Wind MAG dagger. AOE small Affliction Break could be useful. A pretty good consolation prize. Or main prize, if you have Alphinaud's burst.
    Squall SB: En-ice. Not a bad consolation prize.

Banner 2:
    Quistis OSB: 6* Bio whip. It's an OSB! The utility of that bio boost is mostly limited to this SB and the next one, but it's still a great stat stick for the people that can use whips.
    Quistis BSB: En-bio. Still a top tier option for mage damage, though if you want Quistis to do anything other than bio/non damage, you're going to have to spend your 4* motes to pick up Black 5.
    Edea BSB: En-ice. Even more magic damage than Quistis BSB, and similar to Maria and Papalymo. You do have to crank her MAG very high to get full value (1205 for six hits), which could be awkward since she's just about the last to get her MC3, though she does have access to Memento Mori and a MAG boost on the second command to help.
    Edea SSB2: It's an Imperil (dark)! Hard to get much value out of this since Edea can't easily build meter, though just Memento Mori spam -> imperil -> Dark Zone spam isn't awful if the rest of your team is also slinging dark.
    Quistis SSB: Defensive hastegas are much harder to fit onto a team than offensive hastegas. The fact that you have to burn precious 4* motes to get Black 5 is an additional strike.
    Irvine SSB2: Pentabreaks are great at both keeping you alive and adding damage, and Irvine can also carry Full Break to be the full package. His weapon set is weak though (just daggers and guns).
    Selphie SSB: Curaga + Magic Blink is still a fantastic medica.
    Rinoa SB: En-earth. Pretty weak, even if you're chaining it into her OSB (unless you're doing Entrust shenanigans, then it's solid). Even if you've honed Chain Stonega, Titan, and/or Fat Chocobo, you'd usually be better off with any random mage burst.
    Edea SB: Ideally you'd like your MAG buffs to be 30% rather than the 20% that this provides, and you'd like at least one bonus effect in addition to haste (fastcast or high regen) but you have to take what the gacha gives you. As a stat stick, it provides 38 MAG, which I believe is tied for the highest of any armor, and is very useful for hitting MAG thresholds for Edea/Papalymo/Sarah bursts, if you don't already have a Terra Tiara or similar item yet. Not a bad consolation prize.

Overall:
    Banner 1 has a staggering six element boost items, which is kinda crazy. Four are niche though: three wind MAG items, which are great for Fujin/Alphinaud BSB and not nearly as exciting for anyone else, and LOL lightning hammer. Lightning ATK armor is pretty good though, as is a dark bracer. The SBs themselves are a mix of solid damage (Fujin BSB, Raijin BSB) and strong utility (Seifer BSB, Raijin SSB, Fujin SB). Overall a pretty high power level here, especially if you already have Alphinaud BSB and want to bling him out. If you are OK with the characters you're going to be getting relics for (Seifer, Fujin, and Raijin), this is not a bad place for a pull.

Banner 2 has two very strong mage damage bursts, along with a couple good utility pieces (Irvine pentabreak, Selphie medica). It's hard to recommend this to new players, as Quistis and Edea are both a little needy (Quistis for motes, Edea for MAG buffs and stat sticks), but for established players looking for a mage to blast with, this banner is worth a look.

One other consideration: banner formats are due to be upgraded in 2-3 weeks, from three OSB/BSB per banner to four USB/OSB/BSB per banner. Basic SBs will be almost disappearing except for the few that are still very usable. If you want to wring the maximum value out of your mithril, maybe you want to wait.

Next VIII event:
    ~3 months out. Banner 1 features Selphie's fantastic USB (instant Curaga + Last Stand + high regen), the ridiculous Squall BSB2 (silly amounts of ice damage), Irvine BSB (dual break with a side of dual breaks), and Selphie BSB. Banner 2 has Rinoa OSB, Laguna BSB (imperil lightning and great damage output), Seifer BSB, and Fujin BSB.

Alternate opinions:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/5twcn7/relic_discussion_cutting_winds_soaring_lightning/

Fry on
  • AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    So here is an honest question -- People seem to be disappointed by Yshtola's USB. Maybe it isn't that great. But honestly, does Yshtola really need yet another amazing relic to compete for meter usage? I've got the complete Yshtola set right now, Medica, Stoneskin, Asylum, Aeatherial. I have all of them. And even with Wrath in between heals as I can, I barely have time to use more than maybe 3 bars of meter in a given encounter.

Having a 5th relic would just add even more competition for her precious meter. And I guess that's why I don't understand the disappointment. She's got such a great kit right now that there's really just no room for another.

Sure, but not everyone has those things, so a new interesting USB for her might have been compelling for people who missed her BSB. There's also multiplayer, where it's really nice to be able to cover as many different things as possible. You might be planning to use Wall, but having some other support to fall back on when someone else supplies it can be really nice.

• RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Even if she already has several excellent SBs, a USB shouldn't be so underwhelming as hers is.

• El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Fighting for SB usage is just par for the course now as they keep power creeping the game forward. No one's going to use a Cura medica when they have a Curaga burst, for example.

Utility USBs seem to be the answer to replace a lot of utility SSBs, and Rikku's gives you a one-stop SB of party buffs that make a few other characters SBs obsolete, plus Rikku's skill set is diverse enough that she's immediately a top contender for your party as a hybrid Support/Physical attacker.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Pulled on the Half Price Update banner, and got Selphies BSB. Which is will be nice for mage teams I guess, but I've gotten so used to how sweet Yshtola's BSB is for instant throughput.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    I was a little iffy on the lucky draw due to how lousy a lot of the sub-BSB stuff was (and due to this being just before both realms got a lot of new toys), but my VIII synergy is horrendous and I don't plan on pulling on Fuujin/Raijin, so whatever.

Vaan SSB (steal attack)
    Zell SSB
    Zell BSB
    Ashe BSB

Welp. That's probably the best pull I'm ever going to see for 25 mythril. I can't believe I actually landed Ashe's Defiance; it was arguably my most-wanted burst and I'd completely given up on it.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
    Brody wrote: »
    Pulled on the Half Price Update banner, and got Selphies BSB. Which is will be nice for mage teams I guess, but I've gotten so used to how sweet Yshtola's BSB is for instant throughput.

She is a niche spot that requires DMT/MM but works really well on a mage team when you need her. The dispel attached to her C2 is invaluable situationally. The mind buff is also really nice when you have a lot of stops going off, but not enough to warrant bringing her just for that imo. She is also a nice grab against holy weak enemies as her command hits surprisingly hard. If you don't have a dual magic buff already she becomes relatively even better thanks to opening up mage teams in a big way, but there are better ways to achieve that admittedly.

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Also, does Rikku ever get an OSB?

It's kinda funny to me that she just skips straight to a USB.

Though I guess she's not really a DPS, so it makes some sense.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »

USBs are completely analog to OSBs. It's not really skipping. Tons of characters are never going to get them.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Hmm I was planning on rolling on this banner 1 way back when. I'm not sure now if I really need FF VIII stuff considering I haven't finished an event since FFV which was a few events ago. Didn't even get Orlandu's MCIII and I rolled his OSB. I'm a bad player. I do have almost 600 mythril though and no VIII stuff.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    MC3s are from the hall of rites, they never give out the crystals for specific characters afaik?

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    MC3s are from the hall of rites, they never give out the crystals for specific characters afaik?

They did a couple times, specifically for OK and Orlandeau. The rest have all been hall of rites.

• WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    They did for TG Cid. And also Onion Knight. I think those were the only two deviations from the norm.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
    Hmm... I want to Mage Meta the U+, but what do I do for Tiamat, who Resists everything I'm bringing for the first three waves?

Terra and 56k neutral Scorching Flames to the rescue. That never gets old.

Hmm... I want to Mage Meta the U+, but what do I do for Tiamat, who Resists everything I'm bringing for the first three waves?

Terra and 56k neutral Scorching Flames to the rescue. That never gets old.

That's what got Tidus the nod against Chaos over TGCid. Thank you, non-elemental portion of OSBs.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Gnizmo wrote: »

She is a niche spot that requires DMT/MM but works really well on a mage team when you need her. The dispel attached to her C2 is invaluable situationally. The mind buff is also really nice when you have a lot of stops going off, but not enough to warrant bringing her just for that imo. She is also a nice grab against holy weak enemies as her command hits surprisingly hard. If you don't have a dual magic buff already she becomes relatively even better thanks to opening up mage teams in a big way, but there are better ways to achieve that admittedly.

I happen to have Dreamstage, so was bringing her along anyway, but the ability to pick which I want to do (medica/blink or BSB healing) is actually pretty nice. Battleforged, not DMT/MM though.

dporowski wrote: »
    Gnizmo wrote: »

I happen to have Dreamstage, so was bringing her along anyway, but the ability to pick which I want to do (medica/blink or BSB healing) is actually pretty nice. Battleforged, not DMT/MM though.

Oh that is absolutely a viable and useful option as well. I used it myself for a long time since I have those 2 SBs for her as well. Compared to Y'shtola though its a sad joke. Her BSB is just insanely good at healing. You can choose Selphie over Y'shtola for healing and succeed certainly, but you will be losing a lot of healing potential.

edited February 2017
    Ah. I didn't actually notice because I haven't leveled OK or TGCid really.

The funny thing about mage meta is that if you bring enough +mag buffs, it doesn't matter what they resist. Ley Lines + RW Meta = comedy

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • NarbusNarbus Registered User regular

USBs are OSBs for support characters. It doesn't make sense to give Y'shtola or Mog some crazy damage ability, since they won't be geared for it at all. Since Rikku is primarily a dancer/thief, she gets super support powers instead of pure deeps.

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Narbus wrote: »

USBs are OSBs for support characters. It doesn't make sense to give Y'shtola or Mog some crazy damage ability, since they won't be geared for it at all. Since Rikku is primarily a dancer/thief, she gets super support powers instead of pure deeps.

*And Cloud, because Cloud

edited February 2017
    U++ Chaos is a great fight for showcasing how relatively weak my melee parties are, even with the recent addition of Zell's BSB.

fe9Zlni.jpg

I only got Expert, because I failed to dispel Chaos' Haste, because for the top half of the fight I was DPSing too fast and couldn't get Greg's BSB and C1 off before Haste fell off naturally. Whoops.

I had to go with RW Ark Blast for the first time ever, so I could bring Full, Power, Magic, and Defense Breakdowns, and MAG/XXX, as well as Protectga/Shellga. My only stacking MAG break SBs is Fang's ATK/MAG SSB, and she can't bring utility. I have Rikku's ATK/RES SSB, and she can bring the Bard flavors of Protectga/Shellga, but then she doesn't really have any DPS (and you don't really need stacking ATK on this fight, either.) So I gave Rikku Thief's Revenge and Enveloping Etude and had her call the Ark Blast RW.

Not really having a Medica sucked, and Chaos landed Slowra on Ramza so it took forever to get the second Shout online. I'm not going to bother going for Mastery here, I have enough upgrade mats kek.

Rius on
    Something that helps with the Chaos fight is runic. Not so much for the runic effect (although it helps), but because it blocks the scripted stops for that character. Had I realized that (ie bothered to look up the AI script and remind myself of the mechanics), I would've gone full runic meta. RW Indom Blade, native Indom Blade, native Grand Cross, and Vanille can just shake it off.

That said, I brought Mind Breakdown, and while 3/5 people spent most of the middle third of the fight stopped, I didn't have any real issues. Ark Blast is really great, yo.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    someone on the reddit made this for me

• FryFry Registered User regular
    For the U++ Chaos fight, the first Stop didn't really bother me that much. Then for the second one I turned on Mind Breakdown and had a party small MND buff, but whatever because I blocked it altogether with magic blink. zzzzz

• A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    Something that helps with the Chaos fight is runic. Not so much for the runic effect (although it helps), but because it blocks the scripted stops for that character. Had I realized that (ie bothered to look up the AI script and remind myself of the mechanics), I would've gone full runic meta. RW Indom Blade, native Indom Blade, native Grand Cross, and Vanille can just shake it off.

That said, I brought Mind Breakdown, and while 3/5 people spent most of the middle third of the fight stopped, I didn't have any real issues. Ark Blast is really great, yo.

Magic Blink also works wonders if you have it.

The stop fell off Y'sholta instantly, and came off the rest of my team quickly enough. My Agrias died near the end of the fight because I was too stingy with Y'sholta's meter, but it was real easy with chaincharge lightning, cleansing strike agrias, 0ct ssb shadow, asylum and shout with rw wall.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    Yeah, that's another thing; I have two Physical Blinks that can be lifesiphoned, but neither on a character with utility. My only magic blink is on Rosa, and Wall seemed like a big deal for 90% of his attacks.

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Narbus wrote: »

Ah, I see, that makes sense.

IKknkhU.gif
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Beat the FF1 U+ CM with a pair of shared SBs.

Warrior of Light: Saint Cross/Gaia Cross
    Garland: Full Charge/Dark Bargain
    Wol: Steal Power/Magic Breakdown
    Sarah: Ultra Cure/Haste (Shared Firaga)
    Echo: Curaja/Protectga (Shared Shellga)
    RW: TG Cid with 687 ATK and + 40% Holy

Everyone had a Fire resist/Necrophobe Ward/Gigas Armelt on.

I did have to reset quite a bit until Marilith cooperated, since Lich gets 100%-> dead by one RW cast, so I was still setting up during Marilith. The general strategy:

Sarah casts shared Firaga on Lich for medal condition, then hastes herself, Echo, Garland, Wol, then WoL. Start patching up Marilith's damage and keep ahead of Tiamat's damage.

Echo put up Protect, then Shell, then healed. If Marilith cast AoE Fira before Shell and Magic Breakdown, it was a wipe. Otherwise she could solo heal the first half of the fight, if the team took only one Fira.

Garland queued up RW TG Cid right away, which completely destroyed Lich. He then went Dark Bargain into Full Charge x 2 to take out more than half of Marilith's HP by himself. He'd RW TG Cid to 100%->0 the Kraken, then repeat Dark Bargain into Full Charge until Tiamat was dead.

Wol would queue Steal Power to hit Marilith right as she spawned, then was hitting ~9800 on Magic Breakdown, which was a sizable contribution to DPS. He'd queue up a Magic Breakdown to hit Tiamat right as she spawned, then refresh Steal Power and finish with Magic Breakdown until dead.

WoL queued Gaia Cross to hit Marilith right as she started, and then spammed it until she was <50%. He'd defend to mitigated the scripted 6 hit attack, then Gaia Cross until dead. During the Kraken's brief appearance, he'd Class Change for a DPS boost, and finish the fight spamming Saint Cross.

You really only need a Shared Protect or Shell SB, and could skip mastery if you don't have the Shared Firaga.

Alternatively you could probably run a setup with OK BSB to good effect.

edited February 2017
    100 gem got me Fuujin's jacket.

Okayish I guess for dropping on Alphinaud, but kind of meh in and of itself, but decided that was a sign and I should pull since Anniversary stuff is unlikely to be kind.

1x11, third Squall's Jacket
    Fuck that noise, still have 240 mythril, so hell, let's go again
    4x11 yay
    Fourth Squall's jacket and three Raijin's armor.

I am regret. But that solves my FF8 armor issues, I guess, and sets me up well for Full Throttle/Omega. Trying to look on the bright side. Feh.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
    edited February 2017
    Ugh. 2/11 dagger and sefier's baddo 3 hit sb

2 least wanted items :/

Budgeted 100 but that's a real kick in the teeth, everything else I do want at least a little.

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    I'm still debating on pulling on this banner. My FF8 synergy is not great (one gun, one physical thrower, one magical thrower, one whip, one shared SB sword, one physical light armor, one magical light armor). Fujin is basically the only character from FF8 that I like, and that's just because I think her artwork is nifty. My planning spreadsheet doesn't include a pull here, but I'm already 225ish ahead of plan and had 250 staked out for the anniversary stuff, so pulling here isn't necessarily bad. I'm just worried that I'll get a terrible draw and get angry.

100 gems was a 3* whatever, as expected. I'll have to think on this.

steam_sig.png
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Knight_ wrote: »
    Ugh. 2/11 dagger and sefier's baddo 3 hit sb

2 least wanted items :/

Budgeted 100 but that's a real kick in the teeth, everything else I do want at least a little.

Here, accept this sympathy card:

K7S8oxX.jpg

edited February 2017
    And I'm a moron and pulled again and got the same fucking seifer ssb. Fucking come on game, just once throw me a bone.

Wonder how many bursts Beasteh got already.

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
    No prizes for anybody!

...Expecting someone to post a draw with all four of the (Fuu/Rai)jin items now.

ztrEPtD.gif
This discussion has been closed.