As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Marvel Stuff! Thor is covered in brains!

• never dienever die Registered User regular
    So I just read U.S Avengers #3 and
    Gold Skull was totally a Trump caricature right? From the ideals "money buys everything" and "it doesn't matter as long as I win", and the speaking style "You don't know that! Shut up! And it was the greatest speech!","only the best! I wanted it and they built it in a day!", and "you're just jealous! Shut up!" it seems pretty obvious to me.

I did really enjoy the issue, that just stuck out to me.

• ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    The Mighty Thor proves that the gods know politics better than mere mortals
    Volstagg filibusters the Congress of Worlds by describing what he ate once for breakfast.

Completely unrelated to this I'm sure, but I'm a bit hungry now

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Volstagg filibusters the Congress of Worlds by describing what he ate once for breakfast.

The West Wing did that at least once. President Bartlett is above any mere god.

Fencingsax on
  • ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

The West Wing did that at least once. President Bartlett is above any mere god.

Yeah but did Bartlett have a quick breakfast of bilgesnipe bacon, poached leviathan eggs, suateed space mushrooms, baked Asgardian beans, black dragon pudding, crow blood sausage, horse stew, dwarven mountain oysters, Vanir flat bread with raw honey, midgardian bagels, elven elderberry pie with a dollop of cream, a tall glass of warm buttermilk, a tankard of home-brewed ale, etc etc?

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Gwenpool is so damn enjoyable.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    groot2017001-mockup-232365.JPG
    From Chris Hastings and Flaviano

It has Groot stuck in lil' form on an uncharted planet on the other side of the universe. Hastings cites the Legend of Zelda as an inspiration for how to use a main character that is effectively silent since no one can understand what he is saying.

Yeah alright I'm down

CYpGAPn.png
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Are they even trying to pretend it's not 100% a movie tie-in

6F32U1X.png
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Are they even trying to pretend it's not 100% a movie tie-in
    Nah

But unlike other SYNERGY things this isn't the first time Groot has been stuck as a lil' guy for a while

In the DnA run after he gets splintered he has to regrow which takes a bit.

It's a blatant tie in, but with a good creative team and isn't unprecedented in the universe.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Marvel giving Chris Hastings more work is a great idea

It seems Marvel is making a new foray into the newsstand market, which is interesting.

Publishers Weekly: Marvel Teams with Archie Comics to Release 'Marvel Comics Digest'
    Marvel Entertainment is teaming with Archie Comics to produce the Marvel Comics Digest, a new series of small format book collections, that will feature Marvel’s iconic characters and will be designed, packaged and distributed to retailers by Archie Comics.

The Archie Comics Digests have been a popular bestselling format for Archie Comics for decades. Archie Comics will publish the new Marvel Comics Digest six times a year beginning in June 2017. The small format books will be distributed to Big Box retailers, comics shops and newsstands by Archie Comics.

Marvel senior v-p, sales and marketing David Gabriel said teaming with Archie to create and distribute the digests will advance the “reach and exposure” of the Marvel brand. Gabriel said the digests offer “our retailer partners, local comic shops and large chain retailers, a new, fun, and easily digestible way to dive into the Marvel Comics Universe and produce life-long fans.”

The first of the Marvel Comics Digest collections will feature the Amazing Spider-Man and the Avengers and will be released in June. Look for Marvel Comics Digest featuring Iron Man, the X-Men, Black Widow, Wolverine, Thor and the Hulk in subsequent Digests.

So we have a relaunched GotG, Rocket and Groot at this point. All with excellent creative teams.

Zdarsky's Star-Lord will only be on issue 5 or so so I hope they don't relaunch that. Same with Gamora.

A series focusing on the newly pacifist Drax could be fun. Wouldn't be shocked if Mantis, Nebula or Yondu get one as well.

CYpGAPn.png
    Put Ms. Marvel In The Digest

6F32U1X.png
    BRSCSPI2017001_MOCKUP.JPG?1487200751?interpolation=lanczos-none&downsize=*:1400
    Ben is going back to the classic costume after the very poorly received new costume

The creative team insists it isn't backpedaling, that there is a story reason for the change but I say pfffffffft

CYpGAPn.png
    yeah but the problem there is that I still don't care about Ben Reilly

• CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    god that costume was shitawful back then

do people really have affection for it?

marvel-generations-alex-ross-232436.jpg
    No other context provided.

There are rumors that Marvel is taking a back to basics approach following Secret Empire in the wake of DC Rebirth so....this definitely seems to jive with that.

CYpGAPn.png
  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Ross still gets the big bucks, huh.

...I dunno how much Old Jean Grey and Young Jean Grey really fit the theme there.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
    "We've heard you, so we're getting rid of all the new characters and reverting all legacies back to the originals"

6F32U1X.png
    It's a nice image, at any rate. I might use that as my desktop background, I think.

not to stereotype myself, but

that image could use the Wasps

and possibly Vision and Viv too

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    DC was gonna have Ross so the same thing for them but realized it would be their entire universe

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    DC, call it Legacies and make it a weekly book. Pay me later

The problem with a "Marvel Rebirth" is that they don't have the same problem DC did. Their characters are fine...mostly. (Steve :() It is their universe that is the issue. They have focused so much on WORLD SHATTERING EVENTS for so long that we never have time to breath.

Just take a year or two off of big events (have a couple of family wide crossovers or something) and let a status quo actually have time to develop and settle before you shake anything up.

CYpGAPn.png
    Keith wrote: »
    dc-legacies-feb-2012.jpg

CYpGAPn.png
  • GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Hey it's not like both companies don't reuse titles into exhaustion anyways!

aGPmIBD.jpg
    edited February 2017
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    marvel-generations-alex-ross-232436.jpg
    No other context provided.

There are rumors that Marvel is taking a back to basics approach following Secret Empire in the wake of DC Rebirth so....this definitely seems to jive with that.

I really hope it's back to basics with the legacy characters, not the originals. It would kind of make more sense considering that this past years big event, the X-Men vs Inhumans crossover, and this year's big event are the older , established characters being assholes causing problems. A back to basics approach to me then makes sense for the newer versions of the characters continuing to push against that bs and be heroes.

A back to basics approach without the legacies is sad to me because I really like them and about 50/50 of if I like them more than the original ones. As well, for some of them, like Wolverine, I'm not sure how many interesting stories you can tell with them that haven't already been done at this point, which isn't an issue with the legacy characters.

Finally, it isn't going to be a good PR move for Marvel if they do replace them back with the originals evacuate their goes a good portion of their diversity of characters replaced by white guys. It's the same awkward issue X-Men is running into with their return to form for Blue and Gold: it's all iconic characters, which except for Storm, are all white people and largely male.

never die on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    If you had told me that there would be a new Ben reilly comic and I could not being myself to care about it a year ago I would have called you a damn liar.
    Thanks Donald

Keith wrote: »
    dc-legacies-feb-2012.jpg

My idea is more team-ups / one-shots by different creative teams with an overarching storyline

q649xIXh.jpg
    Hasbro is releasing a full sized (to fit "most adult heads") wearable Star-Lord helmet with light up eyes later this year for 99 bucks an I am 100% buying one.

CYpGAPn.png
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Star-Lord is hotter with the helmet on, when you can pretend he's a robot.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    So Secret Empire is confirmed to be starting in April with 9 issues total all written by Nick Spencer.

Hopefully it will be done by July.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    Reportedly the Fall relaunch this year will be titled Make Mine Marvel and focus on returning the Marvel Universe to a more recognizable state (IE, classic characters filling their classic identities) but while also keeping the current crop of younger legacy heroes but giving them distinct identities rather than using the same titles.

Which like

Maybe that will work, that would be nice

But it seems a lot like "hey we are bringing back all the old white characters and taking away the important titles from the new minority characters"

CYpGAPn.png
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Reportedly the Fall relaunch this year will be titled Make Mine Marvel and focus on returning the Marvel Universe to a more recognizable state (IE, classic characters filling their classic identities) but while also keeping the current crop of younger legacy heroes but giving them distinct identities rather than using the same titles.

Which like

But it seems a lot like "hey we are bringing back all the old white characters and taking away the important titles from the new minority characters"

That... that is not the way to get me back on board, Marvel!

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG

Which like

So are we getting older Jean, Cyclops, and Wolverine back in one year? That uh, would really fuck with the X-Men line really hard as they are actually dead instead of just doing something else

• GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular

Which like

Huh. Guess Hydra Steve wins.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

Which like

"Miles Morales will still be the main Spider-man."

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• RainfallRainfall Registered User regular

Which like

"Miles Morales will still be the main Spider-man."

"Also Peter Parker is going to be the leader of the Avengers and will also be managing the street-level crime in Brooklyn while Parker Industries takes to the cosmos, teaming up with the Guardians of the Galaxy in a brand new adventure guaranteed to thrill new and old fans alike."

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    There are way too many comic fans complaining that Marvel sold out to the dreaded Social Justice Warriors and that's why their comics are terrible now.

Basically people are awful.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
This discussion has been closed.