As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Wrestling] 2016 should have been two hours long

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Samoa Joe recently spoke with Eyes on the Game (transcript via wrestlinginc.com), here are the highlights…

Wrestling John Cena: “It’s been 18 years, 18 years ago, myself and John Cena had a match and based off that match WWE inevitably hired him, and brought him along and I went my own separate way. It’s been 18 years since me and John have been in the ring together. John, you know, early in my career, he’s been a close personal friend and we drove a lot of miles together, and it would be an absolute pleasure to reunite in the ring and once again, smash him in the face and take everything from him.”

Shots

Fired

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • SproutSprout Registered User regular
    That is some GOOD SHIT, Joe.

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    It's a freaking ref

Why would they give a shit

One who's on their payroll and contracted to not appear on competitors' TV while employed there

Again, reminder WWE has the exact same deals. So does TNA. And ROH. And World of Sport. And WCPW. You're only hearing about it because this is the first time CRASH wound up on national TV

It's a freaking ref

One who's on their payroll and contracted to not appear on competitors' TV while employed there

Again, reminder WWE has the exact same deals. So does TNA. And ROH. And World of Sport. And WCPW. You're only hearing about it because this is the first time CRASH wound up on national TV

I guess I just don't get the big deal of refs being exclusive, but whatever, it's their promotions.

edited February 2017
    It's a freaking ref

I guess I just don't get the big deal of refs being exclusive, but whatever, it's their promotions.

If a company is paying someone, why would they want to find out that person can also legally be paid at the same time by a company already openly trying to poach from them

When you can lock someone up, do it. That's what all the WWE fans want to happen to every indy talent (yes, that's more than just wrestlers, it includes commentators, agents, trainers, etc). That's what you've wanted Vince and HHH to do. It goes both ways.

Sweeney Tom on
    It's a freaking ref

If a company is paying someone, why would they want to find out that person can also legally be paid at the same time by a company already openly trying to poach from them

When you can lock someone up, do it. That's what all the WWE fans want to happen to every indy talent (yes, that's more than just wrestlers, it includes commentators, agents, trainers, etc). That's what you've wanted Vince and HHH to do. It goes both ways.

Glad you just assume that I want that Sweeney.

Do I want WWE to have great talent? Sure. Do I think they should sign every indy worker? No.

edited February 2017
    And I want all wrestling promotions to have great talent, because I like wrestling in general.

Not just WWE.

wirehead26 on
  • SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    This is PRETTY GREAT in an 80s kind of way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1CRatikdWg

Apparently George "The Animal" Steele might be near death

• PonyPony Registered User regular
    Samoa Joe is Very Good.

• LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    I like how fans wanting the company they watch to acquire good talent is framed as a bad thing.

I like how fans wanting the company they watch to acquire good talent is framed as a bad thing.

I fully admit to being a WWE homer even with the incredibly shady and bad shit they've done. And I have absolutely no issues with someone choosing not to support them because of that.

• ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular

It's very confusing to me when I see people getting annoyed/upset/whatever at WWE getting talent from the indys.

Like...where else do you expect them to get talent?

And if it bothers you that they pick up talent, then how in the world can you enjoy watching their product? Your viewership, your merch purchases, your Network subscription...it all supports them picking up even more talent. Everyone in this thread is part of the "problem".

I truly don't understand it.

PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited February 2017

It's very confusing to me when I see people getting annoyed/upset/whatever at WWE getting talent from the indys.

And if it bothers you that they pick up talent, then how in the world can you enjoy watching their product? Your viewership, your merch purchases, your Network subscription...it all supports them picking up even more talent. Everyone in this thread is part of the "problem".

not everyone in this thread watches the wwe

in fact, the people getting annoyed/upset/whatever are often the people who don't

Dex Dynamo on
    Dex Dynamo wrote: »

in fact, the people getting annoyed/upset/whatever are often the people who don't

Not trying to pick a fight here Dex, but do you really think someone should be upset over that?

• ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Its like can't we be happy that these guys/gals have worked hard their whole life to make it to the top of their industry? I mean sure YOU might not like WWE but I bet these folks are ecstatic to make it there.

Artoria on
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular

Not trying to pick a fight here Dex, but do you really think someone should be upset over that?
    If someone doesnt watch WWE and a lot of their favorite wrestlers are getting snatched up by a company they choose not to watch can't you see why they would get upset?

CYpGAPn.png
    i'm not doing this again.

Yes I realize WWE might fuck up the talent they bring in, they don't exactly have a stellar track record there.

But the company is making honest to goodness strides in how they portray notable indy stars.

edited February 2017

And I am upfront about never once giving a cent to the Network or Trump.

As for merch, I think the only thing I've ever gotten was...a DX foam hand at a house show when I was a kid? Which in my defense, foam hands ruled and wrestling house shows are good.

Sweeney Tom on
    edited February 2017
    Fuck it nevermind

wirehead26 on
    Basically watch whatever you want to watch.

I neither blame nor resent the performers

And tbh the fact that I have to constantly reemphasize that fact every time I voice a complaint or express sadness over this is exhausting and a little hurtful

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Basically watch whatever you want to watch.
    Yes but the issue comes from folks who want to watch stuff other than WWE no longer being able to watch a lot of their favorites because WWE has hired a bazillion indie wrestlers

Which doesn't affect me personally but is a perfectly valid reason to be mad

CYpGAPn.png
  • MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    dragonsama wrote: »
    Its like can't we be happy that these guys/gals have worked hard their whole life to make it to the top of their industry? I mean sure YOU might not like WWE but I bet these folks are ecstatic to make it there.

It's not that people aren't happy for the wrestlers we just miss having them in the indies.

Sure D-Bry eventually made it to the main event and had great matches, but before that there would have been years of indy main event matches I could have seen him have if he didn't go to the WWE.

I can understand being unhappy with how someone like Drew Gulak has been used so far. But the ratio of good to bad has been improving a lot.

However I also understand if you refuse to watch WWE and that puts you in a situation to no longer support your fav indy talent. So I take back my above post to Dex.

Why does entertainment have to be so fucking complicated.

Why can't the people in charge be less shitty.

• MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Why does entertainment have to be so fucking complicated.

Why can't the people in charge be less shitty.

Because you generally have to be kind of shitty to get in charge of stuff.

edited February 2017
    I'll close this topic on my end with this

Sweeney, I do not believe supporting WWE means you support Trump. I didn't vote for him and I don't support him and I'm sad if you think I or anyone here does if they follow WWE. If you wish to believe that however, fine. That is all.

wirehead26 on
    And if I got your post wrong about supporting WWE and Trump, I apologize.

Sweeney, I do not believe supporting WWE means you support Trump. I didn't vote for him and I don't support him and I'm sad if you think I or anyone here does if they follow WWE. If you wish to believe that however, fine. That is all.

It's more that I firmly believe that money obtained from supporting the company went toward the donations the McMahon family sent toward Trump's campaign. It being officially labeled as personal money doesn't change the fact that their primary source of income for decades has been obtained through the company's operations and profits. As disgusting as that may be to me, it's far from uncommon in politics, just like pay to play, which again, there's no other way Linda gets in the White House without.

Where your dollar goes matters. I merely wish people had a better understanding of where it goes and what happens when they make that choice before it's made. That's one of the biggest things post-November to me.

It's more that I firmly believe that money obtained from supporting the company went toward the donations the McMahon family sent toward Trump's campaign. It being officially labeled as personal money doesn't change the fact that their primary source of income for decades has been obtained through the company's operations and profits. As disgusting as that may be to me, it's far from uncommon in politics, just like pay to play, which again, there's no other way Linda gets in the White House without.

Where your dollar goes matters. I merely wish people had a better understanding of where it goes and what happens when they make that choice before it's made. That's one of the biggest things post-November to me.

Fair enough, thank you

Fair enough, thank you

Of course. Sorry for the derail. Here's a comic:

O8KTC35.png

I don't mind wanting to see the guys you like in your indie of choice.

It's the vitriol that bothers me. The whole "how dare the WWE do this and how dare the fans of the WWE be happy about it" vibe I get from some of these comments.

Like Sweeney you often frame this stuff as if it were some sort of attack on the indies and indie fans instead of what it is: talent acquisition.

• SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    WWE's raiding of talent also reminds some people of the talent raiding of the 80s and what that did to the territories and what happened in that era and it doesn't sit well with them.

Possibly nobody around here, but I've definitely seen that in other places.

• SproutSprout Registered User regular
    And it's not like we're lacking of talented young men and women with the lack of judgement required to become professional wrestlers. As the old, rad people get called up, new rad people will step in to replace them. It's the Circle of Life.

Schide wrote: »
    WWE's raiding of talent also reminds some people of the talent raiding of the 80s and what that did to the territories and what happened in that era and it doesn't sit well with them.

Oh, I've seen the comparison made here before.

It's a pretty bad comparison.

• NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Sprout wrote: »
    And it's not like we're lacking of talented young men and women with the lack of judgement required to become professional wrestlers. As the old, rad people get called up, new rad people will step in to replace them. It's the Circle of Life.

Counterpoint: We should just get rid of wrestling altogether.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
    Schide wrote: »

It's this for me. Especially baffling when people say "well at least they won't try to become a monopoly" because that's very much what they intended to do back then, and then again after WCW/ECW folded. Eventually if something is burned to the ground enough times, it won't come back.

At that point it becomes "do you think there are monopolies" or "do you like monopolies". For me at least, I like mom and pop stores, and have noticed there's a whole lot less of them since Walmart entered my area. Kmart's also gone, which took a bunch of jobs away, including people I know.
    I like Netflix, but would sure like it less if there were no Hulu or HBO Now.
    Same for iTunes and Spotify, and the far smaller Bandcamp.
    I can appreciate people liking the Yankees, but don't want them buying all the players because I like the Nationals, and I like the Orioles, and they deserve talent too. And the Yankees are (or at least were, I admit to not being as avid a baseball follower as years ago) a monopoly too

Not everyone's swimming in gold. Doesn't mean they don't deserve to survive. The baseball teams are the only one I can say for certain will, no matter what

• NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Not related to this ongoing conversation, but X-PAC was backstage at this week's SD, and had this to say:
    "I'm not sure what the finish was supposed to be for the match ... But I know this for a fact, that John Cena insisted on putting Bray Wyatt over again ... insisted on it. That's not just a rumor."

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
This discussion has been closed.