As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Zelda] thread. BOTW spoilers WILL be posted before release. Watch your step!

• GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular

So yeah

This is why this is Miyamoto's favorite part of the game

6F32U1X.png
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    you know .... I never really thought I'd be impressed by wood duck AI, but here we are

edit: maybe a merganser?

Xaquin on
  • Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    To everyone complaining about an "empty world with not much to do", look at that duck

but for real I think that's the kind of world they want to create

one where you can stop to look at ducks without being pestered by enemies or collectables

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    I WANT TO PET THAT DUCK WHY CAN'T IT BE MARCH 3RD YET

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    THat's pretty impressive-looking, and very peaceful. Makes it seem like you really could just go and watch the animals for a while, if you wanted to, which isn't the kind of thing you can do in any other Zelda.

Does any other open world game of this time have non-scripted animal behaviors more complicated than running from the player and walking in circles? Certain ones in XCX would drink water, but the vast majority just kind of lazed about and grunted

dN0T6ur.png
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    THat's pretty impressive-looking, and very peaceful. Makes it seem like you really could just go and watch the animals for a while, if you wanted to, which isn't the kind of thing you can do in any other Zelda.

Does any other open world game of this time have non-scripted animal behaviors more complicated than running from the player and walking in circles? Certain ones in XCX would drink water, but the vast majority just kind of lazed about and grunted

i haven't played far cry 3 or 4 but considering that hunting is a big deal in those games i assume there's some decently robust animal behavior

and going a little further back in time you got shadow of the colossus

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Hows that duck look on the wii u though

2x39jD4.jpg
    I played Far Cry 3 all the way through and I mostly remember the animals just kind of milling about, and either running from you or deciding to bite your ass off

dN0T6ur.png
    endless ocean maybe? that's decently old now though

Oh Endless Ocean almost definitely does, though I never played that. It's a game that's just about animals. I was thinking more like Witcher or Far Cry

I should get Endless Ocean for @SilverWind now that I think of it

dN0T6ur.png
    I'm pretty sure if you looked at animals from a distance in FC3 they would graze and do stuff

and these will probably run away if you get too close

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    Twitter/Tumblr
    I'm pretty sure if you looked at animals from a distance in FC3 they would graze and do stuff

don't you dare say that that duck's gonna be my best friend

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    okay, I won't say that that duck is going to be your best friend

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    That duck is way too cool to be your best friend.

No I don't.
  • McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Now I want a lore post about how that duck and Speed became best friends!

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    Wanna meet that duck.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    man the duck is evil and like the first thing link does in botw is pounce on that duck and crack its neck with his teeth like a wild animal

its non optional you have to kill and eat that duck or its a game over

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    man the duck is evil and like the first thing link does in botw is pounce on that duck and crack its neck with his teeth like a wild animal

its non optional you have to kill and eat that duck or its a game over

I guess that duck didn't pay its bill.

No I don't.
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

So yeah

That's not even the best video in that batch of tweets, with Link running around in the storm wearing metal equipment.

don't you dare say that that duck's gonna be my best friend

Hey, listen, you're on a mission deep in enemy territory. Hyrule command has received intel of a new weapon The Calamity Ganon that can launch magic anywhere in the world. You can't take any equipment with you, it's all on site procurement and you'll need to do what you have to to survive.

This is Operation: Duck Eater.

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

So yeah

That's not even the best video in that batch of tweets, with Link running around in the storm wearing metal equipment.

I'd rather watch awesome ducks than get struck by lightning, but maybe that's just me.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

So yeah

I'd rather watch awesome ducks than get struck by lightning, but maybe that's just me.

It was more how artistic everything was leading up to that lightning strike. The sparks of electricity coming off Link's equipment to serve as a warning, increasing in frequency as time counts down, before the hammer strikes and sets the area on fire around his broken corpse.

Turns out level 6 is still really hard because blue wizzrobes are really hard to deal with. Orange ones? Fine. One Magic Sword hit kills them. Blues take three, and also they walk around instead of just teleporting, so they're sort of like blue darknuts in that your spacing has to be really precise or they hit you for 2 hearts worth of damage thorugh the blue ring.

Enemies in this game did a lot of damage, I tell ya what. Yellow wizzrobes, without a ring, could kill you from full health in four hits. That's no joke.

dN0T6ur.png

So yeah

It was more how artistic everything was leading up to that lightning strike. The sparks of electricity coming off Link's equipment to serve as a warning, increasing in frequency as time counts down, before the hammer strikes and sets the area on fire around his broken corpse.

I was mostly being pithy :P Yeah, from an animation and general visual design standpoint it was really ...striking.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    To everyone complaining about an "empty world with not much to do", look at that duck

one where you can stop to look at ducks without being pestered by enemies or collectables

I know you're not trying to be mean but like

I want enemies and collectibles

That's what I would like to do in zelda

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    Collectable enemies.

...wait that's just Pokemon.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Collectible emotional experiences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsQaj7jJyUw

My boy Arlo has some takes on the DLC for Breath of the Wild, but he seems to have trouble saying very much

I don't think I really agree with his conclusion, whereby he theorizes that Nintendo is gunning for another $20 to supplement the cost of the game, which wouldn't be worth making at 60. I mean ultimately he's OK with that idea, but I don't think it's coming from.. quite.. the right angle? Obviously Nintendo wants another 20 bucks, but I don't think the existence of games like BotW is contingent on that DLC being bought en masse

I can't remember how much Mass Effect DLC cost. I'm trying to figure out the value proposition in my head in comparison to other DLC I've been happy about but I'm not sure

dN0T6ur.png
    Triple AAA games are absolutely contingent on dlc purchase

It's how they have kept the cost at 60 dollars

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Why are you guys talking about a duck? Thats a Quackoo

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.

Is this something Ninten—no that's not a fair question, fucking of course they haven't

Is this something other developers, especially Japanese ones, have talked about? I understand it makes the model more sustainable, but I didn't understand it to be necessary for the existence of the genre. I mean, some DLC can cost as much to make as the main game in terms of its assets and content (like the Shovel Knight DLC, and I cna't imagine how expensive the Witcher 3 DLC was)

dN0T6ur.png
    Okay so now copies of botw actually have gotten out there so be careful wyborn

PNk1Ml4.png

Is this something Ninten—no that's not a fair question, fucking of course they haven't

Is this something other developers, especially Japanese ones, have talked about? I understand it makes the model more sustainable, but I didn't understand it to be necessary for the existence of the genre. I mean, some DLC can cost as much to make as the main game in terms of its assets and content (like the Shovel Knight DLC, and I cna't imagine how expensive the Witcher 3 DLC was)

The assets and content may be expensive, but it's built on an underlying engine and gameplay system that's already been built, which is a very significant cost of development.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

I know you're not trying to be mean but like

I want enemies and collectibles

That's what I would like to do in zelda

I was teasing you with the first sentence for sure. I know that's nowhere close to what you mean by "stuff to do".

Overall their goals with BotW seem very out of sync with what you want out of Zelda and it sucks that 3D Zeldas come out so infrequently so you're stuck with this for a while.

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    Twitter/Tumblr
    edited February 2017

No company is ever going to just say this

But it's pretty obvious if you look at earnings calls and reports

Edit:hold on, embedding is not working on mobile for me right now

Chincymcchilla on
    edited February 2017

The assets and content may be expensive, but it's built on an underlying engine and gameplay system that's already been built, which is a very significant cost of development.

That's true, but asset creation and tweaking of new systems can also be a super significant investment! Plague of Shadows was more expensive to produce than Shovel Knight, and Specter of TOrment might be even moreso?

But the point is that DLC of a certain kind isn't pure pro—

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
    Epic talked about how costs for gears of War ballooned over time recently, to the point where even as the games were selling better their profit margin kept getting smaller

PNk1Ml4.png
    edited February 2017
    -Tal wrote: »
    Okay so now copies of botw actually have gotten out there so be careful wyborn

Thank you. Now:

Guys

Please

Please please please do not bring any spoilers in here that aren't part of some official Nintendo thing. If you have to discuss stuff from the GameInformer articles and the like, fine just label it and keep it in the tags, but I would really appreciate it if you didn't bring stuff from genuine leaks in here.

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
    chart3.0.jpg

So right now, EA's whole strategy is pretty seriously built around the idea that sales overall are going down so you need to get more out of the people that ARE buying

That doesn't, to be fair, 100% mean these games wouldn't exist without DLC, but it seems pretty clear to me that they are absolutely supplementing dev costs with DLC money and that they wouldn't be able to do as much with these games if they weren't selling it

This discussion has been closed.