As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

JRPG Thread: Suikoden is fun to say.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Summer characters in the gacha so I spent most of my meager saving

Got bahamut and hades

Nice, you just pulled the best Dark summon, and I'm not referring to Bahamut.

EDIT: Went ahead and pulled too because why not.

Morrigna, I'm guessing she's one of the SSR Carbuncles, and Sophia.

Madican on
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Hades is good long term if you're willing to straight up buy 3 Gisla Spears with surprise tickets, and uncap them via Damascus bars

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    FFTA had very little difficulty but I still played that game for like 2 months straight

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I 100%ed FFTA, and finished the Rogue Judges stuff that unlocks when you finish 300/300 missions

• turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    "Lord Kyroo's disposition changed from Warmonger to Populist".

OK maybe dial the weird back a little Kingdom Hearts.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    I could never hit 300/300 and I forget why

Something always went wrong with the limited item missions

2x39jD4.jpg
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    I could never hit 300/300 and I forget why

Something always went wrong with the limited item missions

Yeah, there are some inner gears in it all that get stuck really, really easily.

The game had so much done right in the combat and jobs and such though (as does A2).

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Does persona 3 hold up?

I picked it up for like...2 bucks or something during a psn flash sale recently.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    rhylith wrote: »
    Does persona 3 hold up?

I picked it up for like...2 bucks or something during a psn flash sale recently.

It's still pretty good.

That said in the original you don't get S-links for your male squaddies and you can't 100% any of the romancable girls s-links without romancing them which sucks.

Like...P4 goes much further in setting up the camaraderie between your core group.

Dragkonias on
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Persona 3 is a solid 70% as good as 4

And 4's one of the best games ever, so that's pretty good

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    They're still trying to find their footing in 3. It can be hard to play post-4.

liEt3nH.png
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    I like 3 more than 4 so shrug

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    That's not entirely true, I go back and forth depending on the day

• Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    P4 Golden is now in my possession. I begin tonight!

• turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    I like 3 more than 4 as well.

The story is just more my thing, and I like the MC better and party better.

Also the PSP version let's you play as a girl, something 5 isn't even doing for some dumb reason. And the girl MC is also real good and a fun mirror of the guy MC.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    Despite the mechanical and structural overlap P3 and P4 are going for very different things

P3 works real hard at creating a story and tone and the characters work in service of that while P4 puts the characters front and center

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Yeah. P4 has better mechanics and mostly-better social links and does a better job putting forth the party as a cohesive team.

P3 has a better story, higher stakes, and a better soundtrack.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
    edited February 2017
    I've only played Persona 3 FES but goddamn did I love it. Never did The Answer though, because I didn't want to ruin the ending.

Also, burn your bread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4VjMHyIaek

Madican on
  • SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    P4 Golden is now in my possession. I begin tonight!

just fyi there is a lot of tutorial/prologue before the game totally opens up

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    While I still enjoy P3

I don't think there is a single aspect of the game I would put above P4 in any capacity

edited February 2017
    Maddoc wrote: »
    While I still enjoy P3

I don't think there is a single aspect of the game I would put above P4 in any capacity

Not even the soundtrack? Seriously?

vagrant_winds on
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    It's my opinion that the girl protagonist version of Persona 3 is the only version of Persona 3 that is even close to good. I liked the game well enough when it came out, but the more time that passed, the lower my opinion on it became.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I heard @YaYa is a Persona guy.

• YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    I want to punch the mascot in Berseria.

Yukira wrote: »
    I want to punch the mascot in Berseria.

It's so sad that the minigame that involves him flying out to sea doesn't involve anyone punting him.

In other minigame news, they put sliding puzzles in. The final difficulty has a par time of 30 minutes. It's worth 12000+ coins on clear, but no fashion stuff... which is fine because hot damn that's a lot of coins (to be fair, it's like a 8 by 10 puzzle so it took me 20 minutes to clear).

As in they put them in just recently? Where at?

12,000 coins is okay, though ship ventures in the final island can bring back an item that's worth 30,000 rarely and some other expensive stuff more often. The recipe from it is also a +Equipment drop rate boost I think so I have that as my auto-recipe after fights.

edited February 2017
    Madican wrote: »

12,000 coins is okay, though ship ventures in the final island can bring back an item that's worth 30,000 rarely and some other expensive stuff more often. The recipe from it is also a +Equipment drop rate boost I think so I have that as my auto-recipe after fights.

No, I mean it's just part of the game. Possibly a poor word choice.

And I'm fairly sure ship ventures don't get tales coins for the katz shop?

Sliding puzzles are in Katz Korner. You'll find your way there if you try.
    I got it from the area outside Taliesin's chest

Polaritie on
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Madican wrote: »

No, I mean it's just part of the game. Possibly a poor word choice.

And I'm fairly sure ship ventures don't get tales coins for the katz shop?

Sliding puzzles are in Katz Korner. You'll find your way there if you try.
    I got it from the area outside Taliesin's chest

Oh, Tales coins. So that's how they'll hand out big chunks. I've just been playing the Character Card game but the computer reeeeeaaaaally likes to cheat in that one at the top difficulty.

• chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I think Persona 3 is the far superior game.

The story is much better, as is the resolution. Instead of a Scooby Doo mystery with a similarly empty conclusion.

The team feels a lot better, too. They are a vastly differing team of people who often don't get along perfectly. Unlike P4 where everyone is just super best friends the second they meet.

I suppose the auto battle is a problem for a lot of people, but I finished the game without issue so it never really bothered me.

The Slinks in P3 were, I think, a lot more interesting. At the very least they tied into the overall theme of the game a lot better. A lot of them were pretty grim! Things didn't always work out and that's just life. Instead of basically being episodes of Friends where it's all laugh tracks in the end like P4 did it.

I guess I feel P3 nailed the persona vibe a lot better. P4 could have been an Atelier title and you wouldn't have had to change very much.

Oh, also, Madican you really should check out the story stuff for The Answer on YouTube if you don't feel like playing it. I don't think it diminishes the ending of the game at all and actually does a lot for the cast. Though Yukari probably gets the most striking story beats.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I think Persona 4 is the far superior game.

The story is much better, as is the resolution. It's a nice Scooby Doo mystery with a mostly satisfying conclusion.

The team feels a lot better, too. They are a vastly differing team of people who often don't get along perfectly. Unlike P3 where you're not allowed to be friends with half of your team.

Plus, the auto battle is a problem for a lot of people, so much so that they removed it in the PSP version and both sequels, so it obviously bothered plenty of people.

The Slinks in P4 were, I think, a lot more interesting. At the very least they tied into the overall setting of the game a lot better. Thankfully not many of them were pretty grim! Things didn't always work out, though, and that's just life. Instead of basically being depressing and gloomy all the time like P3 did it.

I guess I feel P4 nailed the persona vibe a lot better. P3 could have been an SMT title and you wouldn't have had to change very much.

uyvfOQy.png
  • balerbowerbalerbower Registered User regular
    About 35 hours into Berseria and I have to say one of the biggest surprises thus far has been how much I've come to like Magilou. At first I was afraid her one defining characteristic would be her eccentricism and general obnoxiousness, but as the story progresses, you realize how intelligent, well-informed and incisive she is, which adds a whole layer of mystique to her character. I can't wait to find out what her deal is.

Reynolds wrote: »
    I think Persona 4 is the far superior game.

The story is much better, as is the resolution. It's a nice Scooby Doo mystery with a mostly satisfying conclusion.

The team feels a lot better, too. They are a vastly differing team of people who often don't get along perfectly. Unlike P3 where you're not allowed to be friends with half of your team.

Plus, the auto battle is a problem for a lot of people, so much so that they removed it in the PSP version and both sequels, so it obviously bothered plenty of people.

The Slinks in P4 were, I think, a lot more interesting. At the very least they tied into the overall setting of the game a lot better. Thankfully not many of them were pretty grim! Things didn't always work out, though, and that's just life. Instead of basically being depressing and gloomy all the time like P3 did it.

I guess I feel P4 nailed the persona vibe a lot better. P3 could have been an SMT title and you wouldn't have had to change very much.

While cute, that last part illuminates the fact that you've apparently not played persona, or either version of persona 2. Because... Bruh. P4 is the odd duck out in that line up

steam_sig.png
    Magilou is the damn best.

The mascot kinda sucks though.

I think you're talking about the Shin Megami Tensei: Persona series, not Persona 4, the first game in the Persona 4 series. It continued in Persona 4 Arena and Persona 4: Dancing All Night. Common mistake, like getting the American Final Fantasy III confused with its original title in Japan, SaGa 3.

uyvfOQy.png
    Reynolds wrote: »
    I think you're talking about the Shin Megami Tensei: Persona series, not Persona 4, the first game in the Persona 4 series. It continued in Persona 4 Arena and Persona 4: Dancing All Night. Common mistake, like getting the American Final Fantasy III confused with its original title in Japan, SaGa 3.

Oh, so the series about sex offenders, racists and bigots. Yes, I forgot about that persona 4 series. Because it's terrible and everything in the extended universe is bad.

steam_sig.png
    It took me like five seconds to find a Persona 2 character with racist undertones who is also a prostitute possibly guilty of other related crimes.

This is also the game with Literally Hitler.

uyvfOQy.png
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Hmm, you two have convinced me. Actually, Persona is bad.

liEt3nH.png
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Persona 4 has Kanji, Rise AND Naoto, all of whom are some of my favorite JRPG party members ever.

So it's already got that ahead of every other SMT/Persona title.

IKknkhU.gif
  • ShenShen Registered User regular
    P3P (female MC) is maybe my favourite Persona game; all killer, no filler.

I prefer the cast and mechanics in P4G but the story is not as satisfying and a lot of the added content has that skeevy or goofy anime tone rather than the dramatic anime flavour of P3 which I prefer.

I really wanna like P2 but I just don't find it fun to play, every now and then I go looking for a quality Let's Play but haven't had much luck.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
This discussion has been closed.