As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

JRPG Thread: Suikoden is fun to say.

• chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Reynolds wrote: »
    It took me like five seconds to find a Persona 2 character with racist undertones who is also a prostitute possibly guilty of other related crimes.

This is also the game with Literally Hitler.

.. I'm going to assume you're throwing shade at Lisa, with which I'll point out that man you're trying real hard to be wrong.

Also, yes, you kill literal Hitler. I'm not sure how that's a problem?

Like the first 4 games throw dark, that's kind of the point. Which is why bubblegum happy time 4 doesn't fit. It's also why it's worse when it just suddenly has bubbly side kicks go homophobe or cuddly mascots start acting creepier than Cosby.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    I've only played a little of P3 and non of P4.

I know P3 alludes to the Order/Chaos/Neutral split, does P4 as well?

I always loved that about Persona games, specifically Nocturne.

• YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    Does persona 3 hold up?

I picked it up for like...2 bucks or something during a psn flash sale recently.

I think there's still a lot of good about it, it's got a very different attitude and feel than P4. most of the S-Links are weaker across the board, and it's also WAY more JRPG than P4 is, but the soundtrack fucking rules, the feel of the battle system is fun and snappy and it's still a modern Persona game

just be ready for a lot of rough mechanical edges

• LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Actually P3 and P4 are both really great games.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Actually P3 and P4 are both really great games.

I am going to live dangerously and agree to this extremely controversial comment!!!

Personally p4 was obviously more refined when it came to gameplay but I liked 3 MC and overall story a bit more. Plus 3 had a dog so it gets a lot of bonus points there. I think overall I liked the cast in 3 better.

• RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    Persona 4 has Kanji, Rise AND Naoto, all of whom are some of my favorite JRPG party members ever.

So it's already got that ahead of every other SMT/Persona title.

Hmm, i'm sorry, which one of these do you wrestle while wearing luchador masks?

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Persona 3 has Trolltagonist.
    Persona 4 has Brotagonist.

They are both great.

• Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Radius wrote: »
    Persona 4 has Kanji, Rise AND Naoto, all of whom are some of my favorite JRPG party members ever.

This isn't the place for your kinky fanfiction!

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
    I thought 3 had the much weaker cast.

I like everyone in 4 but in 3 I mostly just like the original quartet of Junpei, Yukari, Akihiko, and Mitsuru.

Andy Joe wrote: »

This isn't the place for your kinky fanfiction!

clearly you haven't been to SE++ before

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I thought 3 had the much weaker cast.

I like everyone in 4 but in 3 I mostly just like the original quartet of Junpei, Yukari, Akihiko, and Mitsuru.

See I rarely like a full cast of characters so that's just kinda what I'm used to.

Maybe the P4 cast stands out stronger to me because it starts out with some of the weaker ones(Yosuke, Yukiko, Teddie) and then keeps adding really good ones(Rise, Kanji, Naoto) whereas P3 starts with the ones I like best and then as the game goes on it just keeps adding ones I don't give a shit about.

P3's cast is more front-loaded and then peters off.

I also prefer the weaker characters of P4 to the weaker P3 ones. More down with Yosuke and Yukiko then I am with dumb child and barely-a-character dog.

I guess Aigis > Teddie though.

Yea I'd prefer the characters I like to be front loaded because I only use one team of characters in any game. So if characters I like don't show up until later it just means longer until I actually have my team together.

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I think you're talking about the Shin Megami Tensei: Persona series, not Persona 4, the first game in the Persona 4 series. It continued in Persona 4 Arena and Persona 4: Dancing All Night. Common mistake, like getting the American Final Fantasy III confused with its original title in Japan, SaGa 3.

Oh, so the series about sex offenders, racists and bigots. Yes, I forgot about that persona 4 series. Because it's terrible and everything in the extended universe is bad.

:rotate: :rotate: :rotate: :rotate: :rotate:

rhylith on
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I think you're talking about the Shin Megami Tensei: Persona series, not Persona 4, the first game in the Persona 4 series. It continued in Persona 4 Arena and Persona 4: Dancing All Night. Common mistake, like getting the American Final Fantasy III confused with its original title in Japan, SaGa 3.

Oh, so the series about sex offenders, racists and bigots. Yes, I forgot about that persona 4 series. Because it's terrible and everything in the extended universe is bad.

are you the captain of the debate team

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    It took me like five seconds to find a Persona 2 character with racist undertones who is also a prostitute possibly guilty of other related crimes.

This is also the game with Literally Hitler.

don't sign your posts

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    One might say that the happy fun time facade of persona 4 is thematically appropriate when laid above the dark truth that lies beneatg

PNk1Ml4.png
  • rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I'm surprised that people dislike Yukiko so much.

I found her to be a really realistic portrayal of a good student who's unsure how to go forward with her life. Which sure, you may find that boring, but I think it's refreshing to have a totally normal person in a damn JRPG cast because it LITERALLY NEVER HAPPENS. And she was less obnoxious than Chie (who I actually also really like but the overly energetic characters always grate on me just a little bit) and "I'm a super-hot pop star who's totally in love with you, main character, from the very second I saw you!" Rise. Seriously Rise, back off, I'm dating Yukiko over here. Stop with the "I love you so much!" it's making her uncomfortable in like every scene. Go on a date with Yosuke or something and it'll make his life complete. He was there when we saved you too you know.

Naoto is more interesting and probably better though. The insecurity about her gender preventing her from moving forward the way she wants in life and coming to terms that it's ok to be who she is was really good. Smashing the patriarchy is relevant here, but I imagine the character was even more timely for a Japanese audience.

Also it was always good when her super-professional image would crack a bit and she'd be a little more human.

rhylith wrote: »
    I'm surprised that people dislike Yukiko so much.

I found her to be a really realistic portrayal of a good student who's unsure how to go forward with her life. Which sure, you may find that boring, but I think it's refreshing to have a totally normal person in a damn JRPG cast because it LITERALLY NEVER HAPPENS. And she was less obnoxious than Chie (who I actually also really like but the overly energetic characters always grate on me just a little bit) and "I'm a super-hot pop star who's totally in love with you, main character, from the very second I saw you!" Rise. Seriously Rise, back off, I'm dating Yukiko over here. Stop with the "I love you so much!" it's making her uncomfortable in like every scene. Go on a date with Yosuke or something and it'll make his life complete. He was there when we saved you too you know.

Naoto is more interesting and probably better though. The insecurity about her gender preventing her from moving forward the way she wants in life and coming to terms that it's ok to be who she is was really good. Smashing the patriarchy is relevant here, but I imagine the character was even more timely for a Japanese audience.

Also it was always good when her super-professional image would crack a bit and she'd be a little more human.

People disliking a character is not the same as thinking a character is bad.

There are plenty of real personalities that people dislike.

That said I liked Yukiko, but yea, doesn't matter how accurate/well a character is portrayed if you just don't like that sort of character.

• Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular

Dude what is your issue

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
    Again, Yukiko was only good once you get to the spinoffs where she is detached from reality.

in P4 she is a goddamn void.

• CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    We can all agree that The Answer stinks

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    We can all agree that The Answer stinks

It was a good practice warm-up for SMT: Nocturne Hard Mode.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Again, Yukiko was only good once you get to the spinoffs where she is detached from reality.

She's got a weird laugh?

But yeah her best character moment is the dog thing from p4a

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular

People disliking a character is not the same as thinking a character is bad.

Could yall take the vriska talk to the homestuck thread

I don't dislike Yukiko I just like her the least

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Just as Shit starts to get Real in Trails of Cold Steel, a dumb little kid with an annoying voice wearing a way too form-fitting spacesuit shows up with a magic robot and ruins everything. Hopefully she disappears forever by the end of this chapter.

Even though I know she won't because she's on the alternate box art.

• BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Just as Shit starts to get Real in Trails of Cold Steel, a dumb little kid with an annoying voice wearing a way too form-fitting spacesuit shows up with a magic robot and ruins everything. Hopefully she disappears forever by the end of this chapter.

She is the worst. Fortunately, she is also largely ignorable.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    So if I bought a "PSOne Classic" on PSN to play on my PS3, but my PS3 is no longer working, I should be able to then play that same game on a PSTV, as long as it's on the list of compatible games? Hopefully without having to buy the game again?

Javen on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

She's got a weird laugh?

you're thinking of shantotto

PiptheFair wrote: »

She's got a weird laugh?

you're thinking of shantotto

Shantotto's laugh is perfect, not weird

Blackjack wrote: »

This is an industrial-era setting, full of military academies and bulky-ass tanks and WWI uniforms. Nothing about her design makes sense for this.

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I love persona 4 and there is no chance I will play persona 3. 4 is about saving the world with the power of friendship, 3 is about darkness in a very dark manner with darkly.. people doing... darkish things.. you get my point

Jars on
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular

This is an industrial-era setting, full of military academies and bulky-ass tanks and WWI uniforms. Nothing about her design makes sense for this.

Or maybe there's more to the world than what you've seen so far.

No, I completely agree. I mean ignorable as a character.

camo_sig2.png

Yeah I was just expanding the thought of how awful she is as a first impression.

Jars wrote: »
    I love persona 4 and there is no chance I will play persona 3. 4 is about saving the world with the power of friendship, 3 is about darkness in a very dark manner with darkly.. people doing... darkish things.. you get my point

Uh

This is even more prevalent in the finale of 3 than it is in 4

Ahh gotcha! Thought you meant it in a "how can you ignore this!?"

Also fortunately, she puts on clothes the next time you see her.

camo_sig2.png

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »

Uh

This is even more prevalent in the finale of 3 than it is in 4

that's only a tiny part of the game

• Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    i vastly preferred persona 3 to persona 4

it is just more my bag because who ever wants to be happy about anything

6vjsgrerts6r.png

This discussion has been closed.